PDA

View Full Version : We have decided to stop breeding


sheelagh
February 1st 07, 02:28 PM
Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds? :)

After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls any more after our the birth of
the litter we are expecting.

When I first came to this site, I thought that people were just being
tight minded & unreasonable, & I justified our breeding by explaining
that we use the money from breeding to help our community cats,
spaying fee's, food , warmth and treatment.

I have thought about this for several months now, including the
consequences of the lack of money to be able to do things that we do
now for the strays that do come to us...but on reflection, I am fairly
certain that having given up smoking, the money that I was getting for
the kittens we breeding is more or less the same when you consider it
carefully(over in the U.K, we pay a hell of a lot of tax on our
Cigg's- around $7 a packet I think!!).

I spend so much of my life trying to get other people to spay &
neuter, that it seem hypocritical of me to continue to breed Pedigree
cats, doesn't it?
Having bred them for around 3years, It is a big decision to make(not
least because of the money that I have invested in it)... but I truly
think it would be for the best. I see all of the cats as part of our
family, not simply as breeding stock...

We may not have the same cash available in lump sum's anymore, but the
proceeds of not smoking should help out a bit, & a few fund raising
events will also help out if we need them from time to time.

I hope that I have made the right decision because I have the boys
booked in for tommorow morning as well as 2 of the girls. All that
remains now is to have the last female done after she has finished
feeding her kittens. Once she has, then we will take her to be spayed
too.
My breeding days are over!
S;o)

bookie
February 1st 07, 02:47 PM
On 1 Feb, 13:28, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds? :)
>
> After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
> of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
> not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls any more after our the birth of
> the litter we are expecting.
>
> When I first came to this site, I thought that people were just being
> tight minded & unreasonable, & I justified our breeding by explaining
> that we use the money from breeding to help our community cats,
> spaying fee's, food , warmth and treatment.
>
> I have thought about this for several months now, including the
> consequences of the lack of money to be able to do things that we do
> now for the strays that do come to us...but on reflection, I am fairly
> certain that having given up smoking, the money that I was getting for
> the kittens we breeding is more or less the same when you consider it
> carefully(over in the U.K, we pay a hell of a lot of tax on our
> Cigg's- around $7 a packet I think!!).
>
> I spend so much of my life trying to get other people to spay &
> neuter, that it seem hypocritical of me to continue to breed Pedigree
> cats, doesn't it?
> Having bred them for around 3years, It is a big decision to make(not
> least because of the money that I have invested in it)... but I truly
> think it would be for the best. I see all of the cats as part of our
> family, not simply as breeding stock...
>
> We may not have the same cash available in lump sum's anymore, but the
> proceeds of not smoking should help out a bit, & a few fund raising
> events will also help out if we need them from time to time.
>
> I hope that I have made the right decision because I have the boys
> booked in for tommorow morning as well as 2 of the girls. All that
> remains now is to have the last female done after she has finished
> feeding her kittens. Once she has, then we will take her to be spayed
> too.
> My breeding days are over!
> S;o)

OMG
you sure? well done you! may your house be ever overrun with one-eyed,
3 legged, flea ridden, grumpy old strays who have all come in out of
the cold to find love, food and warmth, what a wonderful thought,
can't think of a better house to live in myself

anymore pictures on lucy(fur)? is she now just lucy now she has calmed
down?
Bookie

Gail
February 1st 07, 02:57 PM
I know you made the right decision.....
Gail
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds? :)
>
> After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
> of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
> not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls any more after our the birth of
> the litter we are expecting.
>
> When I first came to this site, I thought that people were just being
> tight minded & unreasonable, & I justified our breeding by explaining
> that we use the money from breeding to help our community cats,
> spaying fee's, food , warmth and treatment.
>
> I have thought about this for several months now, including the
> consequences of the lack of money to be able to do things that we do
> now for the strays that do come to us...but on reflection, I am fairly
> certain that having given up smoking, the money that I was getting for
> the kittens we breeding is more or less the same when you consider it
> carefully(over in the U.K, we pay a hell of a lot of tax on our
> Cigg's- around $7 a packet I think!!).
>
> I spend so much of my life trying to get other people to spay &
> neuter, that it seem hypocritical of me to continue to breed Pedigree
> cats, doesn't it?
> Having bred them for around 3years, It is a big decision to make(not
> least because of the money that I have invested in it)... but I truly
> think it would be for the best. I see all of the cats as part of our
> family, not simply as breeding stock...
>
> We may not have the same cash available in lump sum's anymore, but the
> proceeds of not smoking should help out a bit, & a few fund raising
> events will also help out if we need them from time to time.
>
> I hope that I have made the right decision because I have the boys
> booked in for tommorow morning as well as 2 of the girls. All that
> remains now is to have the last female done after she has finished
> feeding her kittens. Once she has, then we will take her to be spayed
> too.
> My breeding days are over!
> S;o)
>

Pijewlchio
February 1st 07, 03:00 PM
"Gail" > wrote in message
link.net...
> I know you made the right decision.....
> Gail

I think Sheelagh was sharing a quote.
I could be wrong.

Phil P.
February 1st 07, 07:19 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds? :)
>
> After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
> of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
> not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls

If you ever doubt you made the right decision, click on the link below.

--
Don't breed or buy while shelter cats die.
http://maxshouse.com/heartache.JPG

bookie
February 1st 07, 07:44 PM
On 1 Feb, 18:19, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds? :)
>
> > After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
> > of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
> > not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls
>
> If you ever doubt you made the right decision, click on the link below.
>
> --
> Don't breed or buy while shelter cats die.
> http://maxshouse.com/heartache.JPG

you could have given us some warning of what we were going to see,
that is just dreadful! where was that taken? out the back of a rescue
shelter i assume, one where they kill unwanted animals after a certain
time.

I feel so sad, what have any of these animals done to be treated like
this and then have their little lives snuffed out, all any of them
wanted was to have a safe home and a warm lap to curl up on and to
give lots of love and friendship in return, I feel so pathetic and
rubbish now

bookie

Rhonda
February 1st 07, 08:23 PM
Good work, Sheelagh! That's wonderful. There just aren't enough good
homes for everyone so this will really help.

Rhonda

sheelagh wrote:
> Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds? :)
>
> After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
> of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
> not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls any more after our the birth of
> the litter we are expecting.

jedichica
February 1st 07, 08:33 PM
On Feb 1, 12:23 pm, Rhonda > wrote:
> Good work, Sheelagh! That's wonderful. There just aren't enough good
> homes for everyone so this will really help.
>
> Rhonda
>
> sheelagh wrote:
> > Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds? :)
>
> > After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
> > of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
> > not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls any more after our the birth of
> > the litter we are expecting.

Congratulations! This is a hard decision to make, but you did make the
right one, spread the word to other breeders you feel may be in need
of advice! After seeing some of the sad posts on here, this makes me
smile, you are a great *mom* congrats!

sheelagh
February 1st 07, 08:37 PM
> OMG
> you sure? well done you! may your house be ever overrun with one-eyed,
> 3 legged, flea ridden, grumpy old strays who have all come in out of
> the cold to find love, food and warmth, what a wonderful thought,
> can't think of a better house to live in myself
>
> anymore pictures on lucy(fur)? is she now just lucy now she has calmed
> down?
> Bookie- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Absolutely certain.
I have been considering it for a couple of months now, but had to
think carefully because of the financial ramifications.

I honestly didn't realise how overcrowded the cat world is.

I guess over in the UK we don't think about these things so much
because most of our Shelters have no kill policies, don't they?

I was so busy living in my personal space thinking of the good that I
was doing for the local cat-community, that I didn't take the time to
look at the wider issue here.

In ways I am a little sad about it because I loved what I did.

However, when it came to the weighing up which do you prefer bit?(IE:
breeding kittens, or helping out our local flea-Bags, there isn't very
much to consider really)...

I will miss some aspects of it, but on the whole, I know already which
of the two gives me a better buzz.

Both Tazy & Biffy are booked in tomorrow morning to have the snip.
(My poor vet thought I had taken leave of my senses & told me to
reconsider -But there is nothing to reconsider.

The breeding cats have more than made their contribution, & I now feel
that it is time to allow them to do what they would preferred than I
would prefer.

That was part of the reason for my posting regarding
"Can you train a Tom Cat not to pee everywhere?"

I had a friend asking me the same question & I wanted to know too?
I would love to be able to bring our boys indoors, but if it isn't
possible, we will have to try stud pants out I suppose. Either way,
they are too precious friends to abandon now that they are coming into
retirement.

You are spot on about the 3legged flea-Bags, with one eye & probably
an entire colony of ticks & tape worms, & it would seem that I had
better invest in a trap too as It seems that we sorely need one;I
borrowed the last one that I used to trap Lucy(fur!).

Lucy(Fur!) has tuned out to be a wonderful delight. I am so pleased
that some of you talked me out of homing her...I think Tilly, my
daughter would have left home (aged 10!), had I gone through with it,
lol:o)
She sits in the front garden waiting for Tilly to come home from
school every day & often tries to follow her there in the morning's
think that Lucy(Fur!) has established the fact that she is now second
in command;second only to Lilly, who believes she is a goddess,
herself..Lilly is a seal point birman, but should have been born a
3legged dominant flea bag herself...

So one era ends, as another one begins I guess.
Think of me tomorrow though...
not for giving up breeding, just for the worry of them being knacked.
I hate it when they have to go under anaesthetic:o(

Hope you like the updates, Lucy is lovely!! >"o"<


http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/LucyFurUpDate

sheelagh
February 1st 07, 08:41 PM
On 1 Feb, 14:00, "Pijewlchio" > wrote:
> "Gail" > wrote in message
>
> link.net...
>
> > I know you made the right decision.....
> > Gail
>
> I think Sheelagh was sharing a quote.
> I could be wrong.

It was:o)
I once remember reading it a little while back from a regular poster,
& I thought it was "so True".
I am pleased to have learnt from the experience though.
It's OK to be wrong, as long as you put it right
(I think??)
S;o)

cybercat
February 1st 07, 09:31 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
...
> Good work, Sheelagh! That's wonderful. There just aren't enough good homes
> for everyone so this will really help.
>
> Rhonda
>
> sheelagh wrote:
>> Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds? :)
>>
>> After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
>> of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
>> not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls any more after our the birth of
>> the litter we are expecting.
>

I am really happy to hear this, too.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

jedichica
February 1st 07, 09:34 PM
On Feb 1, 11:44 am, "bookie" > wrote:
> On 1 Feb, 18:19, "Phil P." > wrote:
>
> > "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > > Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds? :)
>
> > > After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
> > > of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
> > > not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls
>
> > If you ever doubt you made the right decision, click on the link below.
>
> > --
> > Don't breed or buy while shelter cats die.
> > http://maxshouse.com/heartache.JPG
>
> you could have given us some warning of what we were going to see,
> that is just dreadful! where was that taken? out the back of a rescue
> shelter i assume, one where they kill unwanted animals after a certain
> time.
>
> I feel so sad, what have any of these animals done to be treated like
> this and then have their little lives snuffed out, all any of them
> wanted was to have a safe home and a warm lap to curl up on and to
> give lots of love and friendship in return, I feel so pathetic and
> rubbish now
>
> bookie

omg that picture!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have an article that goes along
with it? wow........

bookie
February 2nd 07, 12:22 AM
On 1 Feb, 19:37, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> > OMG
> > you sure? well done you! may your house be ever overrun with one-eyed,
> > 3 legged, flea ridden, grumpy old strays who have all come in out of
> > the cold to find love, food and warmth, what a wonderful thought,
> > can't think of a better house to live in myself
>
> > anymore pictures on lucy(fur)? is she now just lucy now she has calmed
> > down?
> > Bookie- Hide quoted text -
>
> > - Show quoted text -
>
> Absolutely certain.
> I have been considering it for a couple of months now, but had to
> think carefully because of the financial ramifications.
>
> I honestly didn't realise how overcrowded the cat world is.
>
> I guess over in the UK we don't think about these things so much
> because most of our Shelters have no kill policies, don't they?
>
> I was so busy living in my personal space thinking of the good that I
> was doing for the local cat-community, that I didn't take the time to
> look at the wider issue here.
>
> In ways I am a little sad about it because I loved what I did.
>
> However, when it came to the weighing up which do you prefer bit?(IE:
> breeding kittens, or helping out our local flea-Bags, there isn't very
> much to consider really)...
>
> I will miss some aspects of it, but on the whole, I know already which
> of the two gives me a better buzz.
>
> Both Tazy & Biffy are booked in tomorrow morning to have the snip.
> (My poor vet thought I had taken leave of my senses & told me to
> reconsider -But there is nothing to reconsider.
>
> The breeding cats have more than made their contribution, & I now feel
> that it is time to allow them to do what they would preferred than I
> would prefer.
>
> That was part of the reason for my posting regarding
> "Can you train a Tom Cat not to pee everywhere?"
>
> I had a friend asking me the same question & I wanted to know too?
> I would love to be able to bring our boys indoors, but if it isn't
> possible, we will have to try stud pants out I suppose. Either way,
> they are too precious friends to abandon now that they are coming into
> retirement.
>
> You are spot on about the 3legged flea-Bags, with one eye & probably
> an entire colony of ticks & tape worms, & it would seem that I had
> better invest in a trap too as It seems that we sorely need one;I
> borrowed the last one that I used to trap Lucy(fur!).
>
> Lucy(Fur!) has tuned out to be a wonderful delight. I am so pleased
> that some of you talked me out of homing her...I think Tilly, my
> daughter would have left home (aged 10!), had I gone through with it,
> lol:o)
> She sits in the front garden waiting for Tilly to come home from
> school every day & often tries to follow her there in the morning's
> think that Lucy(Fur!) has established the fact that she is now second
> in command;second only to Lilly, who believes she is a goddess,
> herself..Lilly is a seal point birman, but should have been born a
> 3legged dominant flea bag herself...
>
> So one era ends, as another one begins I guess.
> Think of me tomorrow though...
> not for giving up breeding, just for the worry of them being knacked.
> I hate it when they have to go under anaesthetic:o(
>
> Hope you like the updates, Lucy is lovely!! >"o"<
>
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/LucyFurUpDate

the first photo is the set of four (lucy on guard) is fantastic, you
should send it into one of those photo competitions, the Cats
protection league usually have one every year, not much to win apart
form the joy of everyone being able to look at photos of your
wonderful cat. She has lovely thick fur and is looking rather
plumptious too, gorgeous bright eyes, she is a real beauty.

so wonderful to think she has found a loving home complete with
devoted personal slave, one that she and every cat out there deserves.

bookie

Lynne
February 2nd 07, 12:59 AM
on Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:28:59 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
> of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
> not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls any more after our the birth of
> the litter we are expecting.

Sheelagh, I think you have made a very difficult and very respectable
decision. I'm impressed!

I hope your kitties fare well with thier surgeries. I know how nerve
wracking it will be!! Let us know.

Levi is a bundle of energy today, but I've kept him away from Rudy and from
my dog, just because I know they will be licking his incisions and I want
to give them time to heal a bit. He's eating and drinking well without
vomiting. (I just hope he poops soon.) So far no sign of a herpes
outbreak, either, which is super! I hope your kitties have equally good
outcomes.

--
Lynne

sheelagh
February 2nd 07, 04:16 AM
On 1 Feb, 18:19, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds? :)
>
> > After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
> > of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
> > not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls
>
> If you ever doubt you made the right decision, click on the link below.
>
> --
> Don't breed or buy while shelter cats die.
> http://maxshouse.com/heartache.JPG
Thank you for the photo Phil.
I am ever so pleased that you did post it. If there was any doubt in
my mind regarding giving up breeding, you put them to rest.

After looking at it several times, & allowing the children to view it
too, it certainly put my mind into perspective.

I found it shocking & horrifying, & felt that I had to sit down &
consider its content before posting again.

I wish that there was a bit more of this shock factor over here to be
honest. Although I found it disturbing, it was abundantly clear that
we don't see the full picture over here. Whether it is because we have
quite a high no kill policy in the UK, or whether it is because they
feel that the content is too disturbing, I am not sure - what was
clear, was that it made both dogs and cats appear to be disposable,
which is a terrible thought and an even worse sight.

At any time in the last few months, you could have landed that photo
on me & I would have deserved it fully-Yet you chose not to, for which
I truly am grateful.

You allowed me to draw my own conclusion from debate & simply
honesty. It might have taken me a little while to reach this point,
but even a blind ass can see that I was a hypocrite.

I tried to justify selling pedigree cats, claiming that I was doing
it in the name of helping our community cats, (which was/is truth, I
was, but it doesn't retract from the fact that It hypocritical when
you get down to brass tacks, does it?)
Better to learn late, than never I guess, hey?

I might have less cash to help them, but I still feel that we have
something to offer the local feline population, even if it is simply a
night out of the cold, or shelter for mother cats and her kittens
which may only need socializing before re homing them.

One big plus side to giving up breeding, is that I am going to have
some free cat pens to put to use if we need them to house sick older
cats, injured one's, or mother and kittens should they require them
too
..
I have a very good vet, who never questions what I do (other than when
she thinks I have taken leave of my senses, lol!!)... Who always
treats our sick felines in their time of need, then allows me to
settle my bill as soon as I am able to... & we have a wonderful society
over here that helps the not so flush spay & neuter any cat that you
bring to them at half the original cost. I only have to pay around $30
to do a male, & slightly higher for a female $40.Because I take quite
a few of them to her, she gives me a bit of discount too which is
helpful.

Educating the people is fundamental in cases such as my own. I was
wondering - Do you have a web site at all?
If so, I think that us newy's in the group might benefit from seeing
it, if only to educate us about the truth of today's disposable
society?

Looking at the photo that you posted was truly heart breaking & also
frankly shocking too!!

It made my decision all the easier, but accumulating information when
you are trying to embark on rescuing, is very hard to find, so If you
could give any pointers, they would be more than appreciated please?

Any information would be helpful come to that, from all of you if you
have the time to post it, or e-mailing, please?
I know it is not going to be easy, but the most things that are
worthwhile do take time and patience, don't they?
I have one more litter of kittens to rear, and then all of my breeding
days are over.
It is far too late in the day to regret that now, so I shall allow
her to have her kittens, and then take her to be spayed as soon as she
is dry.
Tomorrow, I am having the boys neutered, the following day the girls
are going. I worry about the anaesthetic, but it is far less worrying
than multiple litters.

Thanks for sharing the photo with us. However shocking it was, it was
better to see the truth than talk about it in ignorance
S

sheelagh
February 2nd 07, 04:57 AM
> the first photo is the set of four (lucy on guard) is fantastic, you
> should send it into one of those photo competitions, the Cats
> protection league usually have one every year, not much to win apart

I keep thinking about it, but never get round to it- you know how it
it?
Brilliant intentions, yet when we get there, I forget to post it, or
it simply never happenes,lol!!
I have to be honest..A bit of paper from the CPL would mean more than
any ribbon from the Gccf.
I promise to make a better effort next year though...It would be the
icing on the cake to see her in a calendar made by them, wouldn't
it... when you consider that she was a spitting hissing little flea
bag with collar stuck in her neck.
Now she is a pretty little girl who knows every trick in the book when
it comes to looking like pathetic little baby when the fridge door is
open-Do Not Be Fooled by the little Minx, she is a dinosaur in
disguise,lol.

Most of the fur has grown back now & she loooooves cups of tea, with
2sugars of course!!

> form the joy of everyone being able to look at photos of your
> wonderful cat. She has lovely thick fur and is looking rather
> plumptious too, gorgeous bright eyes, she is a real beauty.

Very Plumptious, Big appealing green eye's with a mega appetite for
salmon, sardines, mackerel, any type of meat & gravy too please:o)

> so wonderful to think she has found a loving home complete with
> devoted personal slave, one that she and every cat out there deserves.

"Slavesssssss's"..She has us all under her thumb & rules the world
from the top of the fridge in the kitchen( where none of us can reach
her...)

Her favourite game ( apart from chase the laser pen...), is the dying
fly in dry mud baths, absolutely ruining her wonderful coat.

But does she care? Not a single hoot!!
She just slinks upstairs and rubs it all off on Tilly's bed:o)

She has even found the cat nip plant in the garden & goes to crop it
on a daily basis too.

She loves Tilly to bits and shares plenty of head rubs with her all of
the time.

Strange really because none of the others could care less about it
(Cat-Nip!!), but, she is addicted to it>"o"<
S:o)
> bookie- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

MaryL
February 2nd 07, 03:19 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
>> OMG
>> you sure? well done you! may your house be ever overrun with one-eyed,
>> 3 legged, flea ridden, grumpy old strays who have all come in out of
>> the cold to find love, food and warmth, what a wonderful thought,
>> can't think of a better house to live in myself
>>
>> anymore pictures on lucy(fur)? is she now just lucy now she has calmed
>> down?
>> Bookie- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
>
>
> Absolutely certain.
> I have been considering it for a couple of months now, but had to
> think carefully because of the financial ramifications.
>
> I honestly didn't realise how overcrowded the cat world is.
>
> I guess over in the UK we don't think about these things so much
> because most of our Shelters have no kill policies, don't they?
>
> I was so busy living in my personal space thinking of the good that I
> was doing for the local cat-community, that I didn't take the time to
> look at the wider issue here.
>
> In ways I am a little sad about it because I loved what I did.
>
> However, when it came to the weighing up which do you prefer bit?(IE:
> breeding kittens, or helping out our local flea-Bags, there isn't very
> much to consider really)...
>
<snip>
> Hope you like the updates, Lucy is lovely!! >"o"<
>
>
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/LucyFurUpDate
>

You have made a fantastic decision. It is tragic to think of the number of
cats and kittens (and dogs) that are euthanized simply because of
overpopulation. Every pet that is adopted from a shelter or rescue instead
of purchased from a breeder helps in some measure to reduce the number of
animals that are put to sleep, and every person who makes the decision to
spay or neuter helps *enormously.*

Thank you!!

MaryL

sheelagh
February 2nd 07, 03:36 PM
On 1 Feb, 23:59, Lynne > wrote:
> on Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:28:59 GMT, "Sheelagh"
>
> > wrote:
> > After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some
> > of the stories that I have heard on here, I have taken the decision
> > not to breed our Birmans or Ragdolls any more after our the birth of
> > the litter we are expecting.
>
> Sheelagh, I think you have made a very difficult and very respectable
> decision. I'm impressed!
>
> I hope your kitties fare well with their surgeries. I know how nerve
> wracking it will be!! Let us know.
>
> Levi is a bundle of energy today, but I've kept him away from Rudy and from
> my dog, just because I know they will be licking his incisions and I want
> to give them time to heal a bit. He's eating and drinking well without
> vomiting. (I just hope he poops soon.) So far no sign of a herpes
> outbreak, either, which is super! I hope your kitties have equally good
> outcomes.
>
> --
> Lynne
Thank you Rhonda, Cyber,Jedichica, &Lynne-In fact all of you... I
appreciated your sentiment & words of encouragement

I've just picked both boys up from the vets & they are awake, but not
very energetic as yet..but like fine other than that.

My vet has used surgical glue to close them up.
No going back now, but I don't regret it for one moment..
Both of the boys are indoors until I feel satisfied that they have
peed , opened their bowels, & are drinking and eating too...

I am now also watching my mother Ragdoll like a hawk because she has
been in & out of her birthing box all morning.
Her kittens are due today, so I am hoping that she has them.(Belle)

I'm sitting here nibbling my finger nails..
This is a little bit too much excitment for me,lol

What an eventful day it will have been if she does!
S;o)

sheelagh
February 2nd 07, 03:51 PM
On 2 Feb, 14:19, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "Sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >> OMG
> >> you sure? well done you! may your house be ever overrun with one-eyed,
> >> 3 legged, flea ridden, grumpy old strays who have all come in out of
> >> the cold to find love, food and warmth, what a wonderful thought,
> >> can't think of a better house to live in myself
>
> >> anymore pictures on lucy(fur)? is she now just lucy now she has calmed
> >> down?
> >> Bookie- Hide quoted text -
>
> >> - Show quoted text -
>
> > Absolutely certain.
> > I have been considering it for a couple of months now, but had to
> > think carefully because of the financial ramifications.
>
> > I honestly didn't realise how overcrowded the cat world is.
>
> > I guess over in the UK we don't think about these things so much
> > because most of our Shelters have no kill policies, don't they?
>
> > I was so busy living in my personal space thinking of the good that I
> > was doing for the local cat-community, that I didn't take the time to
> > look at the wider issue here.
>
> > In ways I am a little sad about it because I loved what I did.
>
> > However, when it came to the weighing up which do you prefer bit?(IE:
> > breeding kittens, or helping out our local flea-Bags, there isn't very
> > much to consider really)...
>
> <snip>
> > Hope you like the updates, Lucy is lovely!! >"o"<
>
> >http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/LucyFurUpDate
>
> You have made a fantastic decision. It is tragic to think of the number of
> cats and kittens (and dogs) that are euthanized simply because of
> overpopulation. Every pet that is adopted from a shelter or rescue instead
> of purchased from a breeder helps in some measure to reduce the number of
> animals that are put to sleep, and every person who makes the decision to
> spay or neuter helps *enormously.*
>
> Thank you!!
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Thank you Mary...
I most certainly feel better about myself.
This issue has been bothering my conscience for some time now,
& today I acted upon it.

I found the photo that Phil posted utterly shocking, but about as real
and raw as it comes.
I am ever so grateful that he allowed me to reach my conclusion by
myself, than showing it to me months ago.

I know that it has taken me some time to get to this point, but I did
reach it in the end.
I have just brought my boys home from the vets surgery 20 minutes
ago.Tomorrow, I have to take 2 of my females into be done too...
All very nerve wracking I assure you, but everyone as been very
supportive here.
I am expecting a litter of kittens at any moment, from my 3rd female,
so she will be done once she finishes lactating her kittens.
A very busy household today..
S;o)

sheelagh
February 2nd 07, 08:03 PM
On 1 Feb, 19:23, Rhonda > wrote:
> Good work, Sheelagh! That's wonderful. There just aren't enough good
> homes for everyone so this will really help.
>
> Rhonda
>
>
>
> Sheelagh wrote:
> > Quote: Who says Usenet can't change minds? :)
>
> > After a few months of listening to other peoples point of view, & some

-
> Good work, Sheelagh! That's wonderful. There just aren't enough good
> homes for everyone so this will really help.

I hope so.

My stud cats were neutered today, & my queens are due to be spayed
tomorrow..all except one who is due kittens any moment now.
It wasn't an impulsive decision.I have devoted a hell of a lot of
thought towards it, not least because it was my livelihood!!

It was a big decision to make, but I don't regret it at all.
In the UK, I am able/allowed to be unemployed whilst my kids still
attend school, so it would make sense to combine my passion with some
schooling whilst I can, because it would government funded.
As long as I can make a case that I want to do the education to enter
gainful employment at the end of it, then I get eduction funded for
me. It makes sense to use the time I have left, to do something
useful, because I am more than just a mother, & I have a life to live
after my kids finish their schooling & leave home

In a way, the skills that I learnt as a breeder are simply a prelude
to my new career as a rescuer.
I would say that on average, I am brought around 8 mothers & litters a
year, so those skills won't be wasted.
I have so much more to learn, but I look forward to the challenge....

I have also been doing my homework & found out that there is a course
that I can get on to fairly near by, in Cambridge(UK), as an Animal
technician.

The first year is devoted to animal husbandry in general, then in the
2nd year, you get to choose a specific species to concentrate on from
there .
However, in this instance I would be accepted with a reference from my
previous employer & also a reference from the shelter that I work for
too.
I would also be required to study English, Maths, & Biology to Gcse
standard(leaving school equivalent [email protected] year 11) in the first year
also.

It is a lot to think about, but I would like to do it.
I have no illusions about how hard it would be, & I wouldn't be able
to start until September of this year either.

It gives me the chance to think about whether I could cope with the
work load & also whether I could dedicate myself to so much study
too.If I do go for it, then I think that I would get all the family
support that I would need...

OTH,If I decide that it is too much, then I will just go as far as the
shorter course in husbandry for 2 years.
It would be enough to allow me to become a veterinary nurse or some
other job within the same industry..

I couldn't really ask for a better job.It would combine a career with
my hobby too, & be a job that I could walk straight into as soon as I
want to after completion.

I have had a mixed response from fellow breeders.Some think I am mad,
others are supportive..But in the end, it is what I think that
matters, & I think I have made the right decision here.
I copied and pasted the link photo that Phil posted on here, regarding
not enough room in the world for so many cats, & I had a really
interesting result..

Mostly I got got good feed back, but a few people thought that I was
trying to emotionally blackmail them?!!!
I didn't do it for that reason at all, I did it to show them that what
we were doing was wrong.
As they say, you live, and you learn.
Plenty to think about, hey?

Thanks for the support
S;o)

Pijewlchio
February 3rd 07, 12:38 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>it was my livelihood!!

Oh, I'm sorry. But good for you about your gov't helping you out.

> I have a life to live
> after my kids finish their schooling & leave home

that's the plan anyway right!

> In a way, the skills that I learnt as a breeder are simply a prelude
> to my new career as a rescuer.

Swell. The perfect little socialite! Homeschools her children, rescues
animals and plans to have a life after the kids are gone.


> I have also been doing my homework & found out that there is a course
> that I can get on to fairly near by, in Cambridge(UK), as an Animal
> technician.

Sweet

<snip snip>

Excellent! September will be here in no time at all.
I hope the gov't check will be enough for you and yours to live comfortable.

I think it's FANTASTIC.

Tell me if you care to, when you was a little girl, what did you always want
to be or do in life?
Just curios.

You sold kittens for a living, I find that very industrious.
I hope your new activities are as satisfying.

sheelagh
February 3rd 07, 02:46 AM
On 2 Feb, 23:38, "Pijewlchio" > wrote:
> "Sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> >it was my livelihood!!

Yes, It was my prime source of income....

> Oh, I'm sorry. But good for you about your govt helping you out.

Sorry for what?
It doesn't sound like it.....(or feel like it!)

> > I have a life to live
> > after my kids finish their schooling & leave home
>
> that's the plan anyway right!

Is it so wrong to want to plough a little back in to the system that
helped me when I needed it most?
I never aked for my current home situation..but you wouldn't know
that, because you don't know me, do you?

It is.I believe that there is more to life than being a mother and a
carer.

> > In a way, the skills that I learnt as a breeder are simply a prelude
> > to my new career as a rescuer.
>
> Swell. The perfect little socialite! Home schools her children, rescues
> animals and plans to have a life after the kids are gone.

What precipitated this comment?
My kids go to school like any other kids...
One of them is @ University now & I couldn't be more proud of her if I
tried!!

I don't believe I have said anything to you to deserve that one, have
I?
Socialite......?
You certainly know how to put the boot in!!

> > I have also been doing my homework & found out that there is a course
> > that I can get on to fairly near by, in Cambridge(UK), as an Animal
> > technician.
>
> Sweet

What is sweet?
> <snip snip>
>
> Excellent! September will be here in no time at all.
> I hope the govt check will be enough for you and yours to live comfortable.

I doubt that BIG TIME...but I would be a fool not to take up a good
offer when I see it.
I "need the eduction", & they need me off welfare.Simple!

> I think it's FANTASTIC.

It Certainly doesn't feel that way.
In fact it sounds more than derogatory.

I find it interesting that you are the only person on this posting
that has been hurtful, small minded, unkind, & has tried to make me
feel bad about myself.
Many people on this site have had the chance to belittle me for my
faults, & taking so long to reach my conclusion, yet you are the only
person to go ahead and do it.
Why is that?

LMAO, I wish I thought so...The benefit is a pittance, but it beats
sitting home 24/7.
I get around $60 a week for caring for someone who is disabled-my
partner.
As you might have already guessed, I do it for the *love of it*, not
the bloody money.

Breeding isn't the be all and end all..it was because I loved the cats
& it helped out financially sometimes...

I think we can all say that we have made the wrong decisions in life
somewhere along the line ~Mine was breeding cats.
We don't have the same kill policies in the UK that you seem to have
in the states, so I only became aware of the problem through this
group

> Tell me if you care to, when you was a little girl, what did you always want
> to be or do in life?
> Just curios.

An air craft pilot...
My mother hated cats...

> You sold kittens for a living, I find that very industrious.
> I hope your new activities are as satisfying.

I can feel the bad vibes here....

Have I done something to offend you at all?

Having just welcomed you to the group, I'm having a little trouble
understanding the sarcasm here?

Is it so wrong to want to better yourself?
I wasn't educated as a child, so didn't have the luxury of most of the
things that you take for granted perhaps?
Maybe you find what I did distasteful?

Have you never made mistakes?

Tell me,If you care to tell me?
What made you feel that you had the right to walk into the group &
make me feel bad about myself?

Just curious why did you got annoyed about both Big Barry & me
too<straight off too>
In one of your first postings too?
I found that interesting!
Not a single other person has done that to me.
Read every single other comment on this posting, please do..
you will note that mot one of them is anything like yours is, is it?

Pijewlchio
February 3rd 07, 03:28 AM
:/= (that's me making buck teeth at you)


"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
<snip>

Oh suckers!

Git back in there and read it again...

this time, imagine the kindest person you will ever know saying these things
to you.
Imagine it is you saying this to someone you care about, or a freind.

YOU MIGHT EVEN GET THE IDEA THAT I GET FOOD ALLOTMENT FROM MY OWN GOVERNMENT
<ahem>

Yule see.. I am no brute.
"No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I know none, and
therefore I am no beast."


--

bookie
February 3rd 07, 03:41 AM
On 3 Feb, 01:46, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> On 2 Feb, 23:38, "Pijewlchio" > wrote:
>
> > "Sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > >it was my livelihood!!
>
> Yes, It was my prime source of income....
>
> > Oh, I'm sorry. But good for you about your govt helping you out.
>
> Sorry for what?
> It doesn't sound like it.....(or feel like it!)
>
> > > I have a life to live
> > > after my kids finish their schooling & leave home
>
> > that's the plan anyway right!
>
> Is it so wrong to want to plough a little back in to the system that
> helped me when I needed it most?
> I never aked for my current home situation..but you wouldn't know
> that, because you don't know me, do you?
>
> It is.I believe that there is more to life than being a mother and a
> carer.
>
> > > In a way, the skills that I learnt as a breeder are simply a prelude
> > > to my new career as a rescuer.
>
> > Swell. The perfect little socialite! Home schools her children, rescues
> > animals and plans to have a life after the kids are gone.
>
> What precipitated this comment?
> My kids go to school like any other kids...
> One of them is @ University now & I couldn't be more proud of her if I
> tried!!
>
> I don't believe I have said anything to you to deserve that one, have
> I?
> Socialite......?
> You certainly know how to put the boot in!!
>
> > > I have also been doing my homework & found out that there is a course
> > > that I can get on to fairly near by, in Cambridge(UK), as an Animal
> > > technician.
>
> > Sweet
>
> What is sweet?
>
> > <snip snip>
>
> > Excellent! September will be here in no time at all.
> > I hope the govt check will be enough for you and yours to live comfortable.
>
> I doubt that BIG TIME...but I would be a fool not to take up a good
> offer when I see it.
> I "need the eduction", & they need me off welfare.Simple!
>
> > I think it's FANTASTIC.
>
> It Certainly doesn't feel that way.
> In fact it sounds more than derogatory.
>
> I find it interesting that you are the only person on this posting
> that has been hurtful, small minded, unkind, & has tried to make me
> feel bad about myself.
> Many people on this site have had the chance to belittle me for my
> faults, & taking so long to reach my conclusion, yet you are the only
> person to go ahead and do it.
> Why is that?
>
> LMAO, I wish I thought so...The benefit is a pittance, but it beats
> sitting home 24/7.
> I get around $60 a week for caring for someone who is disabled-my
> partner.
> As you might have already guessed, I do it for the *love of it*, not
> the bloody money.
>
> Breeding isn't the be all and end all..it was because I loved the cats
> & it helped out financially sometimes...
>
> I think we can all say that we have made the wrong decisions in life
> somewhere along the line ~Mine was breeding cats.
> We don't have the same kill policies in the UK that you seem to have
> in the states, so I only became aware of the problem through this
> group
>
> > Tell me if you care to, when you was a little girl, what did you always want
> > to be or do in life?
> > Just curios.
>
> An air craft pilot...
> My mother hated cats...
>
> > You sold kittens for a living, I find that very industrious.
> > I hope your new activities are as satisfying.
>
> I can feel the bad vibes here....
>
> Have I done something to offend you at all?
>
> Having just welcomed you to the group, I'm having a little trouble
> understanding the sarcasm here?
>
> Is it so wrong to want to better yourself?
> I wasn't educated as a child, so didn't have the luxury of most of the
> things that you take for granted perhaps?
> Maybe you find what I did distasteful?
>
> Have you never made mistakes?
>
> Tell me,If you care to tell me?
> What made you feel that you had the right to walk into the group &
> make me feel bad about myself?
>
> Just curious why did you got annoyed about both Big Barry & me
> too<straight off too>
> In one of your first postings too?
> I found that interesting!
> Not a single other person has done that to me.
> Read every single other comment on this posting, please do..
> you will note that mot one of them is anything like yours is, is it?

my original post was not put up, my computer crashed, but basically
have you not thought that this person is an american and therefore may
not have any idea about sarcasm? remember yanks don't do or understand
sarcasm, unlike us brits, so he/she may have been meaning entirely
what they said.

anyway i am interested in this animal technicians course , where is it
being run exactly? at the uni or at the polytechnic (called APU now I
think, they keep renaming it)

also, if you are strapped for cash you could always do some cat
sitting for people when they go away on holiday, just a thought.

bookie

Pijewlchio
February 3rd 07, 03:58 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> my original post was not put up, my computer crashed, but basically
> have you not thought that this person is an american and therefore may
> not have any idea about sarcasm? remember yanks don't do or understand
> sarcasm, unlike us brits, so he/she may have been meaning entirely
> what they said.

I live in the dirty south.

You seem very practical and grounded bookie
like.. you make a nice friend.

How are you doing? what do you do most of the day?
forgive me for being overly familiar

I've always told myself I would make a good interviewer.
See how I brought all of that out of Sheelagh.
She never told us she was on welfare, but now everybody knows

AND EVERYBODY KNOWS IM HERE
I AM....in the house

under your bed
in your head

Jesus take the wheel
February 3rd 07, 06:50 AM
On Feb 2, 9:41 pm, "bookie" > wrote:

> also, if you are strapped for cash you could always do some cat
> sitting for people when they go away on holiday, just a thought.
>
> bookie

And, who cares what people think of others, right

it is a privilege to be ourselves.

If someone for example thinks bad of someone getting some sort of
gov't aide...
then those people aren't worth a minute of thought, they are the ones
who do not count.
not trying to be mean, but what a joy to be ourselves.. to love
ourselves.

I wish Sheelagh the most! I hope she knows this.

It's exciting to see someone so aggressively constructing their life.
and there's no judgment.

The only ones that count, are the ones living in the real world.
Not those who have their heads in the sand or .. well.. you know what
I mean.

aaahhh

I feel better.

Jesus take the wheel
February 3rd 07, 02:17 PM
On Feb 1, 8:28 am, "sheelagh" > wrote:

> My breeding days are over!
> S;o)

Morning.

So you have one nest of kittens left? cool.

Say... How are them new boys doing?
Do they seem indifferent towards you? Probably not.
Hope they heal real nice.. Im sure they already are.

--

Im just chatty this morning.

I woke up and baby boy was curled around my head.

THEN.. I moved a little and realized they were all piled around my
head.
snuggle snuggle.

--
FUNNIEST THING

Im standing in the studio (http://happystance.googlepages.com/home a
little song I wrote and recorded here in this shanty)... I hear one
kitten raising hell... I go over to their little gate.. and pick the
kitten up.. but it keeps crying.
OH YOUR'E HUNGRY I SAY...

They have food.. but I look at Jupiter (who is in the studio).. the
minute I look at her.. she trots off to the kitchen, whilst looking
over her shoulder at me.. like.. "hell no! that's enough! Im sore!..
or something like that"

I say.. "OH NO YOU DONT" I chase her around the kitchen furniture
telling her..."ok now, them babies want you".. lol.. I put her back
over the gate... and the kitten immediately starts looking for
ninny...

so funny.. She knew that's what it wanted.. but she was tired I gues..
so cute.

sheelagh
February 3rd 07, 06:35 PM
On 3 Feb, 02:28, "Pijewlchio" > wrote:
> :/= (that's me making buck teeth at you)
>
> "Sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> <snip>
>
> Oh suckers!

<Sheela looks at it sadly & nods her head in agreement>
> Git back in there and read it again...

<Sheela reads it, & feels even more guilty>

> this time, imagine the kindest person you will ever know saying these things
> to you.
> Imagine it is you saying this to someone you care about, or a friend.

<Sheela thinks to herself, wow, how did you get this one so
WRONG...How could you have thought this was a Troll Attack???>

I did, & I felt like something that gets stuck on the bottom of your
shoe when you don't look where your walking....Sheela also deserves to
feel that way for a very good reason..SHEELAGH WAS WRONG.....

You are very compassionate & I thank you for that..I don't deserve it,
but thanks all the same. I am grateful you know...

> YOU MIGHT EVEN GET THE IDEA THAT I GET FOOD ALLOTMENT FROM MY OWN GOVERNMENT
> <ahem>
You have my most sincere apology.

I get out of my pram and scream when I think that the Troll attack is
on.
I was so wrong for thinking that & even my most sincere apology falls
short of what I offer you.
Don't you dare feel bad for being on welfare.
Does anyone presumed to think that anyone would "choose to be on
welfare"?
If they do, then they are barking mad (get it..?No, I know , it's not
funny)
> Yule see.. I am no brute.
I do...I cant believe I thought it was the troll attack
<sheela blushes at the very thought of it all>
> "No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity. But I know none, and
> therefore I am no beast."

I know that now.
One day I hope to make up my assumption too P.
As you will probably have already read Ping Sheelagh, I don't want to
keep repeating myself..
But know this. I honestly thought it was the troll attack.
Stick around long enough & it will rear it's ugly head. Then you will
understand why I got so het up.
I am giving you the best apology I can & the world knows its true.
As we would say over this side of the pond, Soz mate, it truly
unintentional:o(
I was wrong & I am sorry for it
S.

sheelagh
February 3rd 07, 07:24 PM
On 3 Feb, 02:41, "bookie" > wrote:
> On 3 Feb, 01:46, "Sheelagh" > wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On 2 Feb, 23:38, "Pijewlchio" > wrote:
>
> > > "Sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> > ups.com...
>
> > > >it was my livelihood!!
>
> > Yes, It was my prime source of income....
>
> > > Oh, I'm sorry. But good for you about your govt helping you out.
>
> > Sorry for what?
> > It doesn't sound like it.....(or feel like it!)
>
> > > > I have a life to live
> > > > after my kids finish their schooling & leave home
>
> > > that's the plan anyway right!
>
> > Is it so wrong to want to plough a little back in to the system that
> > helped me when I needed it most?
> > I never aked for my current home situation..but you wouldn't know
> > that, because you don't know me, do you?
>
> > It is.I believe that there is more to life than being a mother and a
> > carer.
>
> > > > In a way, the skills that I learnt as a breeder are simply a prelude
> > > > to my new career as a rescuer.
>
> > > Swell. The perfect little socialite! Home schools her children, rescues
> > > animals and plans to have a life after the kids are gone.
>
> > What precipitated this comment?
> > My kids go to school like any other kids...
> > One of them is @ University now & I couldn't be more proud of her if I
> > tried!!
>
> > I don't believe I have said anything to you to deserve that one, have
> > I?
> > Socialite......?
> > You certainly know how to put the boot in!!
>
> > > > I have also been doing my homework & found out that there is a course
> > > > that I can get on to fairly near by, in Cambridge(UK), as an Animal
> > > > technician.
>
> > > Sweet
>
> > What is sweet?
>
> > > <snip snip>
>
> > > Excellent! September will be here in no time at all.
> > > I hope the govt check will be enough for you and yours to live comfortable.
>
> > I doubt that BIG TIME...but I would be a fool not to take up a good
> > offer when I see it.
> > I "need the eduction", & they need me off welfare.Simple!
>
> > > I think it's FANTASTIC.
>
> > It Certainly doesn't feel that way.
> > In fact it sounds more than derogatory.
>
> > I find it interesting that you are the only person on this posting
> > that has been hurtful, small minded, unkind, & has tried to make me
> > feel bad about myself.
> > Many people on this site have had the chance to belittle me for my
> > faults, & taking so long to reach my conclusion, yet you are the only
> > person to go ahead and do it.
> > Why is that?
>
> > LMAO, I wish I thought so...The benefit is a pittance, but it beats
> > sitting home 24/7.
> > I get around $60 a week for caring for someone who is disabled-my
> > partner.
> > As you might have already guessed, I do it for the *love of it*, not
> > the bloody money.
>
> > Breeding isn't the be all and end all..it was because I loved the cats
> > & it helped out financially sometimes...
>
> > I think we can all say that we have made the wrong decisions in life
> > somewhere along the line ~Mine was breeding cats.
> > We don't have the same kill policies in the UK that you seem to have
> > in the states, so I only became aware of the problem through this
> > group
>
> > > Tell me if you care to, when you was a little girl, what did you always want
> > > to be or do in life?
> > > Just curios.
>
> > An air craft pilot...
> > My mother hated cats...
>
> > > You sold kittens for a living, I find that very industrious.
> > > I hope your new activities are as satisfying.
>
> > I can feel the bad vibes here....
>
> > Have I done something to offend you at all?
>
> > Having just welcomed you to the group, I'm having a little trouble
> > understanding the sarcasm here?
>
> > Is it so wrong to want to better yourself?
> > I wasn't educated as a child, so didn't have the luxury of most of the
> > things that you take for granted perhaps?
> > Maybe you find what I did distasteful?
>
> > Have you never made mistakes?
>
> > Tell me,If you care to tell me?
> > What made you feel that you had the right to walk into the group &
> > make me feel bad about myself?
>
> > Just curious why did you got annoyed about both Big Barry & me
> > too<straight off too>
> > In one of your first postings too?
> > I found that interesting!
> > Not a single other person has done that to me.
> > Read every single other comment on this posting, please do..
> > you will note that mot one of them is anything like yours is, is it?
>
> my original post was not put up, my computer crashed, but basically
> have you not thought that this person is an American and therefore may
> not have any idea about sarcasm? remember yanks don't do or understand
> sarcasm, unlike us Brits, so he/she may have been meaning entirely
> what they said.
You were spot on Bookie..I was utterly wrong.

Unfortunately, I thought it was the Troll-Attack, posting under a
different name. It wouldn't be the first time that It has done it to
me.

Nevertheless, I feel terrible about it & have made my apologies to P.
I am very grateful for your input explaining out Brit interpretation
of Brit sarcasm didn't intend to make a personal attack on anyone for
no reason @ all..I thought it was the troll:o(

> anyway i am interested in this animal technicians course , where is it
> being run exactly? at the uni or at the polytechnic (called APU now I
> think, they keep renaming it)
The course I was telling you about is run @Huntingdon Regional
college. I don't know if they run at all colleges, but they have been
running it here for years.
There is a rather large uptake on this course in this area because
there are a couple of breeding firms in the area, as well as research
centre nearby too.

So they send all of their animal technicians to do day release on the
course, as well as their normal duties at work.I think that they fund
them to do it..but I am not sure.
I know that all of the ones that pass the initial course, are offered
the chance to do a degree in it through polytechnic, then on to do
post graduate if they wish to.. but I don't know which Universities do
that course.
All I know are the basics, because I have only enquired about the
course once.
They had an open day there recently, so I got off my laurels and went
and had a look , because I was taking Ross to have a look at their
Electrical engineering course. I figured as I was walking around doing
nothing in particular, that I might as well have a look round to see
if they did anything that was of interest to me too.
It worked out quite well in the end.
Ross was told that he would be accepted as long as he reaches his
predicted grades, & they interviewed me on the spot for Gcse's as well
as for the animal technicians course - & I was offered a placement as
well:o)
That brought a big grin to my face, I can tell you!!
It was an enormous boost for the ego, because i didn't think that they
would accept me.

As long as I can work it under the 21 hour rule & work out cover for
Paul whilst I study, then I am going to accept the placement
(working under the 21 hour rule means, as long as I don't study for
more than 21 hours @ college's & schools, then I remain on the
benefits I get. If I go over the 21 hour rule, then I would be classed
as a student & paid accordingly too.So trying to ensure that I don't
go over it.
>
> also, if you are strapped for cash you could always do some cat
> sitting for people when they go away on holiday, just a thought.

Very good thought & idea. I already do it for a few friends, but If I
were to take on any more than just friends cat's, then I think I have
to apply for a licence to do it from the local council I believe?!

I understand why, because some places really are dodgy. I will think
on it though because I do have the amenities to do it.
I will look into it too & let you know the outcome because it is a
very good idea:o)
S;o)
> bookie- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

sheelagh
February 3rd 07, 08:03 PM
On 3 Feb, 05:50, "Jesus take the wheel" > wrote:
> On Feb 2, 9:41 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
>
> > also, if you are strapped for cash you could always do some cat
> > sitting for people when they go away on holiday, just a thought.
>
> > bookie
>
> And, who cares what people think of others, right

It depends on who the person in question is really, don't you think,
huh?
> it is a privilege to be ourselves.

This particular statement is true.If you can't learn to love yourself,
how do you expect others to love you too?
I am learning this one right now, as you can see<sheela is feeling
very ashamed today for thinking the troll had got through the fill
file>
> If someone for example thinks bad of someone getting some sort of
> gov't aide...
> then those people aren't worth a minute of thought, they are the ones
> who do not count.
> not trying to be mean, but what a joy to be ourselves.. to love
> ourselves.
<Sheelagh is grinning @ this one>
> I wish Sheelagh the most! I hope she knows this.
<more laughing>
> It's exciting to see someone so aggressively constructing their life.
> and there's no judgment.

I know that mate..We are here through circumstance, not choice(in the
world I mean-not Google,lol)...& If I don't grab the bull by the
horns, then there is only going to be a Granny career future for me
out there.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Granny..actually I look
forward to that bit...later,lol.
But I would like to think that there is something else out there for
me, other than being Granny, for Sheelagh.I want a job, or even a
simple career choice...

> The only ones that count, are the ones living in the real world.
> Not those who have their heads in the sand or .. well.. you know what
> I mean.
I understand all of it lol:o)
> aaahhh
>
> I feel better.

LMAO:o)
You always make me laugh..

& let me think back, how did I meet you?
That was another time I allowed my great big gob to run away with me
too, wasn't it?
Sometimes I find that the best friends are made through the greatest
of debates.

I used to think I was better than I really am,..Then I found who I
really was & that I had a whole lot to learn, & then a bit more too.

I have learnt to read & write in the last decade, so who knows what I
am going to learn or achieve in the next decade?

(Lets hope it is learning not to be presumptuous, more humility &
controlling the tongue when I should do, eh?)...
It just goes to show you how a troll can make you feel:o(

Oh those snuggly kittens Bear!!

I have the big white soft barrel of a mummy sitting right next to me
now (Blue~Belle).

Her kittens are due any time now.She is on day 63 of her pregnancy, so
we can expect them anytime now.
You have to talk me out of keeping any of them you know!!
I so want to keep 1 of them, but I already have 7cats here full time,
not including the part time ones who visit the community bowl or
shelter on the colder nights..

Who am I to tell you that you don't need any more cats?
That's why I haven't would love you to keep Goliath -Tabby -
kins...just don't allow him to keep an unhealthy interest in MOMA,K?
S;o)

<Bigger Smile now than when I signed in>

& genuine apologies to anyone I might have offended...I am an
emotional person;too emotional @ times
S;o)

bookie
February 3rd 07, 08:59 PM
On 3 Feb, 19:03, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> On 3 Feb, 05:50, "Jesus take the wheel" > wrote:
>
> > On Feb 2, 9:41 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
>
> > > also, if you are strapped for cash you could always do some cat
> > > sitting for people when they go away on holiday, just a thought.
>
> > > bookie
>
> > And, who cares what people think of others, right
>
> It depends on who the person in question is really, don't you think,
> huh?
>
> > it is a privilege to be ourselves.
>
> This particular statement is true.If you can't learn to love yourself,
> how do you expect others to love you too?
> I am learning this one right now, as you can see<sheela is feeling
> very ashamed today for thinking the troll had got through the fill
> file>> If someone for example thinks bad of someone getting some sort of
> > gov't aide...
> > then those people aren't worth a minute of thought, they are the ones
> > who do not count.
> > not trying to be mean, but what a joy to be ourselves.. to love
> > ourselves.
>
> <Sheelagh is grinning @ this one>
>
> > I wish Sheelagh the most! I hope she knows this.
> <more laughing>
> > It's exciting to see someone so aggressively constructing their life.
> > and there's no judgment.
>
> I know that mate..We are here through circumstance, not choice(in the
> world I mean-not Google,lol)...& If I don't grab the bull by the
> horns, then there is only going to be a Granny career future for me
> out there.
>
> There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Granny..actually I look
> forward to that bit...later,lol.
> But I would like to think that there is something else out there for
> me, other than being Granny, for Sheelagh.I want a job, or even a
> simple career choice...
>
> > The only ones that count, are the ones living in the real world.
> > Not those who have their heads in the sand or .. well.. you know what
> > I mean.
>
> I understand all of it lol:o)
>
> > aaahhh
>
> > I feel better.
>
> LMAO:o)
> You always make me laugh..
>
> & let me think back, how did I meet you?
> That was another time I allowed my great big gob to run away with me
> too, wasn't it?
> Sometimes I find that the best friends are made through the greatest
> of debates.
>
> I used to think I was better than I really am,..Then I found who I
> really was & that I had a whole lot to learn, & then a bit more too.
>
> I have learnt to read & write in the last decade, so who knows what I
> am going to learn or achieve in the next decade?
>
> (Lets hope it is learning not to be presumptuous, more humility &
> controlling the tongue when I should do, eh?)...
> It just goes to show you how a troll can make you feel:o(
>
> Oh those snuggly kittens Bear!!
>
> I have the big white soft barrel of a mummy sitting right next to me
> now (Blue~Belle).
>
> Her kittens are due any time now.She is on day 63 of her pregnancy, so
> we can expect them anytime now.
> You have to talk me out of keeping any of them you know!!
> I so want to keep 1 of them, but I already have 7cats here full time,
> not including the part time ones who visit the community bowl or
> shelter on the colder nights..
>
> Who am I to tell you that you don't need any more cats?
> That's why I haven't would love you to keep Goliath -Tabby -
> kins...just don't allow him to keep an unhealthy interest in MOMA,K?
> S;o)
>
> <Bigger Smile now than when I signed in>
>
> & genuine apologies to anyone I might have offended...I am an
> emotional person;too emotional @ times
> S;o)

i don't think anyone was offended, more surprised by your enraged
outburst. It is not humility or anything like that you need to learn,
more need to learn not to see evil and malicious intent in every
posting, be less suspicious about other people, particularly these
yanks who are essentially simple souls who do not get sarcasm and
probably wouldn't know how to be sarky if their lives depended on it

toodle pip, bookie

bookie
February 3rd 07, 09:13 PM
>
> The course I was telling you about is run @Huntingdon Regional
> college. I don't know if they run at all colleges, but they have been
> running it here for years.
> There is a rather large uptake on this course in this area because
> there are a couple of breeding firms in the area, as well as research
> centre nearby too.

mmmm, yes, huntingdon life sciences, I am well aware of it, I hope
they have stopped doing nasty things to beagle puppies and other
defenceless small creatures, that place is notorious. As long as you
are aware that animal technicians work in these research places then
ok, they don;t all end up in nice fluffy jobs you know
>
> So they send all of their animal technicians to do day release on the
> course, as well as their normal duties at work.I think that they fund
> them to do it..but I am not sure.
> I know that all of the ones that pass the initial course, are offered
> the chance to do a degree in it through polytechnic, then on to do
> post graduate if they wish to.. but I don't know which Universities do
> that course.

royal college of agriculture in cirencester? they prob will, wye
college which is part fo the uni of london? go to the UCAS website and
have a look, they will probably list any institutions which offer a
degree course in it. If I find anything i will passit on.

a long shot but you could check out the vet school at cambridge, they
normally just offer the main veterinary science degree for people
wanting to train for 6 years to become vets, but there may be
possibility of working there too during your course and gettign
valuable work experience. Certainly the university is constantly
looking for animla technicians if you can do that work. go to
www.cam.ac.uk and look up the links to the vet school.
also college of West Anglia (has bits of it dotted around
cambridgeshire such as kings lynn etc) dont; knwo the website but do a
google search and you shoudl find info. They do all sorts of
agriculture related courses which involve animal care.

where are you based? I thought you were in peterborough? i knwo the
area quite well so would probably know where you were even if it is
some teeny tiny village inthe middle of nowhere (which cambridgeshire
seems to specialise in, teeny tiny villages miles form anywhere,
untouched by the march of time. Now March, there's a scary place,
everyone has to be inbred there, no other explanation for why they all
look so weird )

toodle bookie

Annie Wxill
February 3rd 07, 09:30 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
..... .. be less suspicious about other people, particularly these yanks who
are essentially simple souls who do not get sarcasm and probably wouldn't
know how to be sarky if their lives depended on it
> toodle pip, bookie

Hi Bookie,

This yank had to chuckle at your description of us.

I agree that we have a large number of dense people in the U.S. But, some
of us do appreciate a dry sense of humor (oops, I think I meant humour).

Annie

Pijewlchio
February 4th 07, 02:02 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Soz mate, it truly
> unintentional:o(

I understand, it's ok, and don't feel bad.
Who HASN'T been misunderstood before.

P

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 03:26 AM
On 4 Feb, 01:02, "Pijewlchio" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> Soz mate, it truly
>
> > unintentional:o(
>
> I understand, it's ok, and don't feel bad.
> Who HASN'T been misunderstood before.
>
> P

Thank you very much..It was very gerenerous of you to see that It was
unintentional.
I feel a right tit now,lol!!
Anyway,,, the brilliant news is that I am a grandma once again right
now too.
My Blue belle has just had 2kittens so far, all little blind white
mice..
I'm so proud of mummy:o)

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 04:20 AM
> i don't think anyone was offended, more surprised by your enraged
> outburst. It is not humility or anything like that you need to learn,
> outburst. It is not humility or anything like that you need to learn,

Your right of course.
I was bouncing off the walls because I though that dreaded Troll had
managed to slip through my fire wall, bouncing defences by changing
it's name once again, & was trying to have another bop at me.. the
very thought of it was enough to unhinge me Bookie;He really is the
Troll from Hell-It's that Bunny skinning thingy bob....


> more need to learn not to see evil and malicious intent in every
> posting, be less suspicious about other people, particularly these
> yanks who are essentially simple souls who do not get sarcasm and
> probably wouldn't know how to be sarky if their lives depended on it

Unfortunately, this particular troll invented sarcasm, believe me?!!!!
And I offended a very nice person who didn't realise what hit her
when I went off on one..
Still, your right.
You live and learn when faced with these obnoxious idiots..I will just
have to rein in & think twice before biting at the [email protected] 1st
opportunity, won't I?
Lesson learnt the hard way I suppose...
By the way, I am a grandma for the last time in my own right.
My last litter is being born right now.
Blue-Belle is up to her 3rd kitten so far.
She came and called me @ 1.45 am to tell me that it was time to hold
her paw whilst she did the hard work.
I have very mixed emotions right now.
I intend to enjoy her babes in this litter because I will miss the
kitten bit with my queens, but on the other hand, after seeing that
shocking frightful photo that Phil posted, I don't have any regrets
about it;I will still have abandoned ones to care for, & unwanted
mothers and litters too..so not the end, rather a new beginning....
I had better go back & check that every thing is OK in the apple box
then,
Pip, Sheelagh
>
> toodle pip, bookie- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 04:48 AM
On 3 Feb, 20:30, "Annie Wxill" > wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> .... .. be less suspicious about other people, particularly these yanks who
> are essentially simple souls who do not get sarcasm and probably wouldn't
> know how to be sarky if their lives depended on it
>
> > toodle pip, bookie
>
> Hi Bookie,
>
> This yank had to chuckle at your description of us.

Thank goodness that every one doesn't think that we are barking
mad,lol!!!
> I agree that we have a large number of dense people in the U.S. But, some
> of us do appreciate a dry sense of humor (oops, I think I meant humour).
I don't even think that we notice that we are doing it sometimes you
know..
It is so normal, that it is like water off a ducks back really, even
when it is unintentional.
I shall just have to be a bit more considerate from now on, & question
it twice before flying off on one.
Bookie is right, not everyone is a troll & it is up to me to weigh up
wich one's are, & which ones arn't genuine I suppose?
>
S;o)

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 12:58 PM
>
> mmmm, yes, huntingdon life sciences, I am well aware of it, I hope
> they have stopped doing nasty things to beagle puppies and other
> defenceless small creatures, that place is notorious. As long as you
> are aware that animal technicians work in these research places then
> OK, they don;t all end up in nice fluffy jobs you know
Yes, I am aware of the place, but would rather not be tarred and
feathered with the same brush as they are.
Mind you some of the protesters are no better either.
Around the corner, they decided to blow up someones car with a time
release home made explosive, & blew the car to pieces & ripped the
front door out too!!!There was only the chaps wife and their kids in
the house at the time...

Please don't for one moment think that I advocate what goes on @ the
Life Sciences, but I just feel that there are 2sides to the story &
both are fairy ugly
>
>
> > So they send all of their animal technicians to do day release on the
> > course, as well as their normal duties at work.I think that they fund
> > them to do it..but I am not sure.
> > I know that all of the ones that pass the initial course, are offered
> > the chance to do a degree in it through polytechnic, then on to do
> > post graduate if they wish to.. but I don't know which Universities do
> > that course.
>
> royal college of agriculture in cirencester? they prob will, Wye
> college which is part fo the uni of London? go to the UCAS website and
> have a look, they will probably list any institutions which offer a
> degree course in it. If I find anything i will pass it on.

I am not sure Booie, I didn't go that far into it.I was thinking of
the home office licence to care for animals more than anything else.
As you say, there are far better jobs than working @ that dump. If I
do end up working with animals, then I intend to make sure that it is
a decent job that I am not frightened of telling anyone about....

> a long shot but you could check out the vet school at Cambridge, they
> normally just offer the main veterinary science degree for people
> wanting to train for 6 years to become vets, but there may be
> possibility of working there too during your course and gettign
> valuable work experience. Certainly the university is constantly
> looking for animla technicians if you can do that work. go towww.cam.ac.ukand look up the links to the vet school.
> also college of West Anglia (has bits of it dotted around
> cambridgeshire such as kings Lynn etc) don't; know the website but do a
> google search and you shoudl find info. They do all sorts of
> agriculture related courses which involve animal care.

Thank you Bookie, I appreciate the link & all of the info too. It will
be very helpful & I will look into it & get back to you on what I find
& let you know all about it...

> where are you based? I thought you were in peterborough? i knwo the
> area quite well so would probably know where you were even if it is
> some teeny tiny village inthe middle of nowhere (which cambridgeshire
> seems to specialise in, teeny tiny villages miles form anywhere,
> untouched by the march of time. Now March, there's a scary place,
> everyone has to be inbred there, no other explanation for why they all
> look so weird )

LOL, You do know your geography very well then?!!!

I agree with you Re: March

<sheela is giggling to herself about that one because its not only
funny, but very true too>

You forgot to mention the Prison category A style one in March too ,
where all of the current famous mass murders are housed, including
Denise Nielsen, & a few other ones too...
What a weird bunch they are!!
(Not sure if the soham murderer is in there currently or not-but he
was in there- Ian Huntly?)

I live in a village in between P'Boro & Huntingdon..one of those blink
and miss it villages bang in the middle.

I said Peterborough because I didn't think you would have heard of
Huntingdon lol!!

> area quite well so would probably know where you were even if it is
> some teeny tiny village in the middle of nowhere (which cambridgeshire
> seems to specialise in, teeny tiny villages miles form anywhere,
> untouched by the march of time

It is Sawtry.
& I moved here when I was 15, so I am not to be included in any of
the list of inbred families lol...

Thanks again Bookie
Sheelagh ;o)
Ps: I am a catz Grany once more today..
Belle had 4 kittens last night..They all look fairly good so far too

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BelleAfter4thLiter
S;o)