PDA

View Full Version : Ear Infection?

MoMo via CatKB.com
February 1st 07, 07:30 PM
Hi everyone. I have a question about my cat Jack. I am bringing him to the
vet about this but not until this weekend and I was hoping to get some
insight into what could be wrong. I am assuming that he has some type of an
ear infection because I can actually hear crackling coming from his ear, even
when I touch them at times at the very base. It almost sounds like Rice
Krispy's in milk to make the best comparison. He does not seem bothered by
this, just shakes his head every now and then (not often at all), but the
sound really worries me. In all honesty, this has happened in the past but
it comes and goes so quickly (1 to 2 days) that by the time the vet
appointment comes around, it seems all cleared up. I know, I know, I should
have still taken him to the vet in the past but he is the most scared cat I
have ever been around, to the point that I have wondered if he was abused
before I got him. I have been so worried about putting him through a vet
experience when everything seems to clear up, but I know that I need to get
this checked. Has anyone had any experience with something like this before?
I look forward to any advice! Thanks guys!

Rhonda
February 2nd 07, 04:34 AM
Our cat gets ear infections -- he has crumpled little ears. When the
infection is worse, there is more pus and wax in the ear and I can hear
it crackling when he cleans it.

The vet will need to clean it out and see how deep it is. If it's deep
enough to be in the middle ear (which she might need x-rays to see,)
your cat will probably get constant ear infections in the more shallow
portion. Even if it clears up from what you can see, you might have the
vet do a deep swab or check to see if the middle ear is the problem.

Good luck,

Rhonda

MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
> Hi everyone. I have a question about my cat Jack. I am bringing him to the
> vet about this but not until this weekend and I was hoping to get some
> insight into what could be wrong. I am assuming that he has some type of an
> ear infection because I can actually hear crackling coming from his ear, even
> when I touch them at times at the very base. It almost sounds like Rice
> Krispy's in milk to make the best comparison. He does not seem bothered by
> this, just shakes his head every now and then (not often at all), but the
> sound really worries me. In all honesty, this has happened in the past but
> it comes and goes so quickly (1 to 2 days) that by the time the vet
> appointment comes around, it seems all cleared up. I know, I know, I should
> have still taken him to the vet in the past but he is the most scared cat I
> have ever been around, to the point that I have wondered if he was abused
> before I got him. I have been so worried about putting him through a vet
> experience when everything seems to clear up, but I know that I need to get
> this checked. Has anyone had any experience with something like this before?
> I look forward to any advice! Thanks guys!

MoMo via CatKB.com
February 2nd 07, 02:17 PM
Thanks Rhonda!