PDA

View Full Version : 5 Months to young to neuter??

beachgirl
February 2nd 07, 12:23 AM
Hi all,

My 5 month old kitten has begun to spray around the house. I have
contacted my vet to set up a time to have him neutered and they are
REFUSING to do it. They have indicated that he is too young as he is
not yet 6 months old and that it will be too hard on his body (note:
he's a big kitten. he weighs almost 9lbs - all muscle). My kitten
turns "6 months" on Feb 26 but is turning "24 weeks" this Saturday
(Feb 3)... I've told the vet this and STILL they refuse to do it until
after Feb 26.

I'm going to seek another vets opinion but thought I would also check
with all of you as you were so helpful with my last posting "Kitten
Shiver/Tremours while Sleeping".

Thanks!

cybercat
February 2nd 07, 12:38 AM
"beachgirl" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> My 5 month old kitten has begun to spray around the house. I have
> contacted my vet to set up a time to have him neutered and they are
> REFUSING to do it.

New vet.

Spot
February 2nd 07, 02:15 AM
I wouldn't do it till he was 6 months. There is too much risk to a cat who
isn't mature enough for the surgery.

Celeste

"beachgirl" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> My 5 month old kitten has begun to spray around the house. I have
> contacted my vet to set up a time to have him neutered and they are
> REFUSING to do it. They have indicated that he is too young as he is
> not yet 6 months old and that it will be too hard on his body (note:
> he's a big kitten. he weighs almost 9lbs - all muscle). My kitten
> turns "6 months" on Feb 26 but is turning "24 weeks" this Saturday
> (Feb 3)... I've told the vet this and STILL they refuse to do it until
> after Feb 26.
>
> I'm going to seek another vets opinion but thought I would also check
> with all of you as you were so helpful with my last posting "Kitten
> Shiver/Tremours while Sleeping".
>
> Thanks!

Lynne
February 2nd 07, 02:22 AM
on Fri, 02 Feb 2007 00:23:19 GMT, "beachgirl" > wrote:

> I'm going to seek another vets opinion

This is what I would do.

Kittens are often neutered much younger than 6 months of age, though I
prefer to wait. Your kitten is pretty large and so I wouldn't hesitate to
have him done now. Call your local animal shelter. They often have vets
either on staff or affiliated with the shelter who perform services for
fees and who are very experienced in early spay/neuter, though I wouldn't
even consider your kitten "early" given his size and his age.

--
Lynne

beachgirl
February 2nd 07, 02:43 AM
Thanks that's great advise.

I have one other question:
He has not yet received his 3rd booster shot as the vet thought that
his shiver symptom was a reaction to his 2nd booster shot and advised
me not to give him the rabies shot. Well I've since discovered (on my
own I might add), that it wasn't the booster shot at all that caused
the shiver, it was an allergy to the food he was eating. I've changed
his food and now he's fine. Does he have to have the rabies shot
prior to being neutered or can the vet do the shot and the neutering
in the same visit???

On Feb 1, 9:22 pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Fri, 02 Feb 2007 00:23:19 GMT, "beachgirl" > wrote:
>
> > I'm going to seek another vets opinion
>
> This is what I would do.
>
> Kittens are often neutered much younger than 6 months of age, though I
> prefer to wait. Your kitten is pretty large and so I wouldn't hesitate to
> have him done now. Call your local animal shelter. They often have vets
> either on staff or affiliated with the shelter who perform services for
> fees and who are very experienced in early spay/neuter, though I wouldn't
> even consider your kitten "early" given his size and his age.
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne
February 2nd 07, 02:59 AM
on Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:43:17 GMT, "beachgirl" > wrote:

> He has not yet received his 3rd booster shot as the vet thought that
> his shiver symptom was a reaction to his 2nd booster shot and advised
> me not to give him the rabies shot. Well I've since discovered (on my
> own I might add), that it wasn't the booster shot at all that caused
> the shiver, it was an allergy to the food he was eating. I've changed
> his food and now he's fine. Does he have to have the rabies shot
> prior to being neutered or can the vet do the shot and the neutering
> in the same visit???

I would not do them all at once, no, though a vet may want to do so. I
would get the shots now and schedule the neuter for a week later if you can
stand the wait. You could do it the other way around, but the vet may
refuse. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Also, you can call around to vets and
ask if they will neuter him at his current age. You don't have to go in
for a visit until you find one who will. If you get the shots with the
same vet first, you can take him in for that and make sure you are
comfortable with the vet and the facilities before you have him neutered
there.

--
Lynne

beachgirl
February 2nd 07, 03:31 AM
> New vet.

TELL ME ABOUT!!! I'm on the hunt for one!

beachgirl
February 2nd 07, 03:32 AM
On Feb 1, 9:59 pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:43:17 GMT, "beachgirl" > wrote:
>
> > He has not yet received his 3rd booster shot as the vet thought that
> > his shiver symptom was a reaction to his 2nd booster shot and advised
> > me not to give him the rabies shot. Well I've since discovered (on my
> > own I might add), that it wasn't the booster shot at all that caused
> > the shiver, it was an allergy to the food he was eating. I've changed
> > his food and now he's fine. Does he have to have the rabies shot
> > prior to being neutered or can the vet do the shot and the neutering
> > in the same visit???
>
> I would not do them all at once, no, though a vet may want to do so. I
> would get the shots now and schedule the neuter for a week later if you can
> stand the wait. You could do it the other way around, but the vet may
> refuse. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Also, you can call around to vets and
> ask if they will neuter him at his current age. You don't have to go in
> for a visit until you find one who will. If you get the shots with the
> same vet first, you can take him in for that and make sure you are
> comfortable with the vet and the facilities before you have him neutered
> there.
>
> --
> Lynne

Thanks Lynne,

You've been a great help!

Rhonda
February 2nd 07, 04:30 AM
No, 5 months is not too young. We had our kittens (a girl and 3 boys)
done at 4 months. You do have to find a vet who is experienced with
spaying younger kittens. Usually a cat or feral rescue group will have
the name of someone.

I would not wait on your cat. He will leave his scent everywhere in the
house and it will be hard to break him of it after the neuter.

Rhonda

beachgirl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My 5 month old kitten has begun to spray around the house. I have
> contacted my vet to set up a time to have him neutered and they are
> REFUSING to do it. They have indicated that he is too young as he is
> not yet 6 months old and that it will be too hard on his body (note:
> he's a big kitten. he weighs almost 9lbs - all muscle). My kitten
> turns "6 months" on Feb 26 but is turning "24 weeks" this Saturday
> (Feb 3)... I've told the vet this and STILL they refuse to do it until
> after Feb 26.
>
> I'm going to seek another vets opinion but thought I would also check
> with all of you as you were so helpful with my last posting "Kitten
> Shiver/Tremours while Sleeping".
>
> Thanks!

Stick Waver
February 2nd 07, 02:03 PM
My two guys were neutered at 3 months at the shelter. They're happy
and healthy.

Wendy
February 2nd 07, 03:04 PM
You could try contacting rescue groups or shelters. They frequently deal
with vets who are more comfortable and experienced doing younger s/n. My vet
doesn't like doing boys until they are 7 months. I like him for everything
else so when it came time for my Diego to get neutered (he was mature at 5
months) I took him to the vet that the rescue group I volunteer for uses and
had him snipped with no ill effects.

"beachgirl" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> New vet.
>
> TELL ME ABOUT!!! I'm on the hunt for one!

Pijewlchio
February 2nd 07, 05:38 PM
"Stick Waver" > wrote in message
> My two guys were neutered at 3 months at the shelter. They're happy
> and healthy.

Wow, that's young.
I like your nym, whatever it really means.

Stick Waver? what does that mean

Stick Waver
February 2nd 07, 11:05 PM
Pijewlchio wrote:

> "Stick Waver" > wrote in message
>
>>My two guys were neutered at 3 months at the shelter. They're happy
>>and healthy.
>

> Wow, that's young.
> I like your nym, whatever it really means.
>
> Stick Waver? what does that mean

It's more fun to guess ;-)

BarB
February 3rd 07, 01:42 AM
On 1 Feb 2007 18:43:17 -0800, "beachgirl" >
wrote:

>Thanks that's great advise.
>
>I have one other question:
>He has not yet received his 3rd booster shot as the vet thought that
>his shiver symptom was a reaction to his 2nd booster shot and advised
>me not to give him the rabies shot. Well I've since discovered (on my
>own I might add), that it wasn't the booster shot at all that caused
>the shiver, it was an allergy to the food he was eating. I've changed
>his food and now he's fine. Does he have to have the rabies shot
>prior to being neutered or can the vet do the shot and the neutering
>in the same visit???

The vet I work with for our rescue shelter spays and neuters our
kittens at 3 pounds. Some groups do it even earlier, primarily
because not all adopters can be trusted to get their animals
neutered. We have never had any problem with neutering early but it
does take a skilled vet to do spay surgery on a tiny animal. The only
difference I have noticed is that the younger cats recover much
faster. Males particularly are seldom slowed in the slightest.

He gives the rabies vaccine at the same time. The vets I know will
not do any type of surgery on an unvaccinated animal. Perhaps that's
a law just in Texas though.

BarB

beachgirl
February 3rd 07, 04:03 AM
Thank you to all... your help is much appreciated.

I found a new vet today... She's GREAT and agreed that my old vet was
being irrational. Buddy (the kitten), got his rabies shot today and
will be neutered next week!

I'm so glad I found this group... it's so handy to get advise from all
of you!

Pam

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 04:32 PM
On 2 Feb, 04:30, Rhonda > wrote:
> No, 5 months is not too young. We had our kittens (a girl and 3 boys)
> done at 4 months. You do have to find a vet who is experienced with
> spaying younger kittens. Usually a cat or feral rescue group will have
> the name of someone.
>
> I would not wait on your cat. He will leave his scent everywhere in the
> house and it will be hard to break him of it after the neuter.
>
> Rhonda
>

> beachgirl wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > My 5 month old kitten has begun to spray around the house. I have
> > contacted my vet to set up a time to have him neutered and they are
> > REFUSING to do it. They have indicated that he is too young as he is
> > not yet 6 months old and that it will be too hard on his body (note:
> > he's a big kitten. he weighs almost 9lbs - all muscle). My kitten
> > turns "6 months" on Feb 26 but is turning "24 weeks" this Saturday
> > (Feb 3)... I've told the vet this and STILL they refuse to do it until
> > after Feb 26.
>
> > I'm going to seek another vets opinion but thought I would also check
> > with all of you as you were so helpful with my last posting "Kitten
> > Shiver/Tremours while Sleeping".
>
> > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Sorry to drag this one back up again folks, but I really would be
interested to know why vets don't like to fix cats any younger than
6months old?

Is it because it is a delicate operation (ie:anaesthesia), their size
or simply because they feel it is wrong to do?
I can't figure it out because surely it is the right thing to do?
If a cat is old enough to be sexually active, and spray to mark it's
territory, then what is the point of waiting until the cat is well
practised at marking an sexual maturity issues, which is why you want
them done?
Sounds Mad to me!!!
S;o)

beachgirl
February 5th 07, 03:37 AM
On Feb 4, 11:32 am, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> On 2 Feb, 04:30, Rhonda > wrote:
>

> > No, 5 months is not too young. We had our kittens (a girl and 3 boys)
> > done at 4 months. You do have to find a vet who is experienced with
> > spaying younger kittens. Usually a cat or feral rescue group will have
> > the name of someone.
>
> > I would not wait on your cat. He will leave his scent everywhere in the
> > house and it will be hard to break him of it after the neuter.
>
> > Rhonda
>
> > beachgirl wrote:
> > > Hi all,
>
> > > My 5 month old kitten has begun to spray around the house. I have
> > > contacted my vet to set up a time to have him neutered and they are
> > > REFUSING to do it. They have indicated that he is too young as he is
> > > not yet 6 months old and that it will be too hard on his body (note:
> > > he's a big kitten. he weighs almost 9lbs - all muscle). My kitten
> > > turns "6 months" on Feb 26 but is turning "24 weeks" this Saturday
> > > (Feb 3)... I've told the vet this and STILL they refuse to do it until
> > > after Feb 26.
>
> > > I'm going to seek another vets opinion but thought I would also check
> > > with all of you as you were so helpful with my last posting "Kitten
> > > Shiver/Tremours while Sleeping".
>
> > > Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

> Sorry to drag this one back up again folks, but I really would be
> interested to know why vets don't like to fix cats any younger than
> 6months old?
>
> Is it because it is a delicate operation (ie:anaesthesia), their size
> or simply because they feel it is wrong to do?
> I can't figure it out because surely it is the right thing to do?
> If a cat is old enough to be sexually active, and spray to mark it's
> territory, then what is the point of waiting until the cat is well
> practised at marking an sexual maturity issues, which is why you want
> them done?
> Sounds Mad to me!!!
> S;o)

I totally agree with you.

sheelagh
February 5th 07, 06:40 AM
On 5 Feb, 03:37, "beachgirl" > wrote:
> On Feb 4, 11:32 am, "Sheelagh" > wrote:
>

> > On 2 Feb, 04:30, Rhonda > wrote:
>
> > > No, 5 months is not too young. We had our kittens (a girl and 3 boys)
> > > done at 4 months. You do have to find a vet who is experienced with
> > > spaying younger kittens. Usually a cat or feral rescue group will have
> > > the name of someone.
>
> > > I would not wait on your cat. He will leave his scent everywhere in the
> > > house and it will be hard to break him of it after the neuter.
>
> > > Rhonda

> > Sorry to drag this one back up again folks, but I really would be
> > interested to know why vets don't like to fix cats any younger than
> > 6months old?
>
> > Is it because it is a delicate operation (ie:anaesthesia), their size
> > or simply because they feel it is wrong to do?
> > I can't figure it out because surely it is the right thing to do?
> > If a cat is old enough to be sexually active, and spray to mark it's
> > territory, then what is the point of waiting until the cat is well
> > practised at marking an sexual maturity issues, which is why you want
> > them done?
> > Sounds Mad to me!!!
> > S;o)
>
> I totally agree with you.- Hide quoted text -

Another thought that came to mind was that this also raises the issue
that it could/ might tempt some people to lie simply in order to get
their vet to complete a procedure out of desperation!

How is a vet to know whether or not a cat is six months old?

Cats vary in size and weight according to sex & breeding, therefore
raising the temptation for clients to tell untruths to vets, just to
get a procedure that they want done, completed.

Imagine the complications that "could arise", through the potential
owner who "would" tell an untruth reasons out of need/ ignorance?

I think that there should be wider guidelines about this issue for
both vet & cat owner.
ie: Most cat owners know that you DON'T get a kitty vaccinated until
they reach 12 weeks because of the dangers.
Because some vets *do*, & some vets *don't*, It leaves room for fatal
error on both owner & vets- Initiated by this no hard or fast rule.
This was what triggered my question in the 1st place.

In the UK, it is almost unheard of to find a vet that will consider
practising this procedure.
I happen to have a vet that will consider doing it anytime from
3months onwards, but not everyone would agree with this on this side
of the pond.
It seems to be a bit of a taboo subject here too, & I wondered why
that would be?
S;o)

Pijewlchio
February 5th 07, 12:57 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> In the UK, it is almost unheard of to find a vet that will consider
> practising this procedure.
> I happen to have a vet that will consider doing it anytime from
> 3months onwards, but not everyone would agree with this on this side
> of the pond.
> It seems to be a bit of a taboo subject here too, & I wondered why
> that would be?
> S;o)

That's because it's too soon.
I think 8 months should be the minimum.

beachgirl
February 5th 07, 04:26 PM
My new vet based her decision on whether or not my kitten was ready to
be neutered on the following:

Were his testicles descended?
Does he have his adult teeth?
Is he a healthy weight?
Has he matured physically?

If all these are "yes" then he was ready for the procedure. If a vet
is solely basing their decision on whether the animal has reached the
magical 6 months number then I don't believe they are taking into
account the whole picture. Just like people, each animal is an
individual and matures at different rates.

Cat Protector
March 21st 07, 03:52 PM
5 months isn't too young. I had one of my cat's spayed at that age.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com