PDA

View Full Version : my cat is always hungry

February 3rd 07, 09:16 PM
Hello all. Just got my first cat ten days ago. He is supposedly six
years old. He has some stomach issues so we are experimenting with
different foods etc. I know we will get to the bottom of his
diarhea. I know it is most likely stress bc he has been tested for
everything and seems okay.

My question is why is he so hungry? might he have been under fed
before ( he is SO skinny). He begs when I eat, he tries to jump on my
plate, he jumps on the counters-including the stove, he tries to eat
out of the garbage, and he jumps in the sink and licks the empty sink!

I am starting him on a new food today after a strickly rice and
chicken diet for three days. I bought california naturals chicken and
rice (wet). I thought i would give him a half a cup two times a day.
Do you think that i should also leave out dry food for him so he can
eat at his leisure?

I do not want to over feed, but i am scared i am under feeding bc he
is so hungry!

thanks

Lynne
February 3rd 07, 09:46 PM
on Sat, 03 Feb 2007 21:16:40 GMT, wrote:

> Do you think that i should also leave out dry food for him so he can
> eat at his leisure?

I wouldn't do that. Given his current behavior, he will likely over eat
and get fat, which will lead to a whole host of health problems. Just make
sure he is getting enough food, and eventually he will adapt to his new
routine.

Have you had him checked specifically for worms? Even if a fecal came back
negative, he could still have them. You might consider getting another
stool check. I once took in a baggie full of dog poop that was riddled
with live, moving round worms. Yet the vet sampled it and found nothing.
I made them pull the baggie out of the trash and dig for what they missed.
(Boy was I irritated!)

--
Lynne

Buddy's Mom
February 3rd 07, 10:28 PM
While you have him checked for worms, also have a blood test done to
see if he is hyperthyroid. He sure sounds like he is. Also you
shouldn't change the food all the time. When you introduce a new
food, do it gradually - adding a little new to the old over a period
of days.

On Feb 3, 4:16�pm, wrote:
> Hello all. Just got my first cat ten days ago. He is supposedly six
> years old. *He has some stomach issues so we are experimenting with
> different foods etc. *I know we will get to the bottom of his
> diarhea. *I know it is most likely stress bc he has been tested for
> everything and seems okay.
>
> My question is why is he so hungry? might he have been under fed
> before ( he is SO skinny). *He begs when I eat, he tries to jump on my
> plate, he jumps on the counters-including the stove, he tries to eat
> out of the garbage, and he jumps in the sink and licks the empty sink!
>
> I am starting him on a new food today after a strickly rice and
> chicken diet for three days. *I bought california naturals chicken and
> rice (wet). *I thought i would give him a half a cup two times a day.
> Do you think that i should also leave out dry food for him so he can
> eat at his leisure?
>
> I do not want to over feed, but i am scared i am under feeding bc he
> is so hungry!
>
> thanks

Rene S.
February 5th 07, 02:05 PM
On Feb 3, 3:16 pm, wrote:
> Hello all. Just got my first cat ten days ago. He is supposedly six
> years old. He has some stomach issues so we are experimenting with
> different foods etc. I know we will get to the bottom of his
> diarhea. I know it is most likely stress bc he has been tested for
> everything and seems okay.
>
> My question is why is he so hungry? might he have been under fed
> before ( he is SO skinny). He begs when I eat, he tries to jump on my
> plate, he jumps on the counters-including the stove, he tries to eat
> out of the garbage, and he jumps in the sink and licks the empty sink!
>
> I am starting him on a new food today after a strickly rice and
> chicken diet for three days. I bought california naturals chicken and
> rice (wet). I thought i would give him a half a cup two times a day.
> Do you think that i should also leave out dry food for him so he can
> eat at his leisure?
>
> I do not want to over feed, but i am scared i am under feeding bc he
> is so hungry!

Everyone has given you good ideas so far. You can also "trick" him
into thinking he's getting more food by adding a couple teaspoons of
water to his canned food. Do you know his history? He might have been
a stray who's not sure where his next meal is coming from. He might
need some time to settle in and realize that the meals will come
regularly.

February 6th 07, 09:27 PM
On Feb 5, 9:05 am, "Rene S." > wrote:
> On Feb 3, 3:16 pm, wrote:
>

> > Hello all. Just got my first cat ten days ago. He is supposedly six
> > years old. He has some stomach issues so we are experimenting with
> > different foods etc. I know we will get to the bottom of his
> > diarhea. I know it is most likely stress bc he has been tested for
> > everything and seems okay.
>
> > My question is why is he so hungry? might he have been under fed
> > before ( he is SO skinny). He begs when I eat, he tries to jump on my
> > plate, he jumps on the counters-including the stove, he tries to eat
> > out of the garbage, and he jumps in the sink and licks the empty sink!
>
> > I am starting him on a new food today after a strickly rice and
> > chicken diet for three days. I bought california naturals chicken and
> > rice (wet). I thought i would give him a half a cup two times a day.
> > Do you think that i should also leave out dry food for him so he can
> > eat at his leisure?
>
> > I do not want to over feed, but i am scared i am under feeding bc he
> > is so hungry!
>
> Everyone has given you good ideas so far. You can also "trick" him
> into thinking he's getting more food by adding a couple teaspoons of
> water to his canned food. Do you know his history? He might have been
> a stray who's not sure where his next meal is coming from. He might
> need some time to settle in and realize that the meals will come
> regularly.- Hide quoted text -

I had this same problem with Garth, a little feral cat that my other
cat brought home. It was almost as if he was so worried about eating
that he would gobble everything up so that he would not go hungry. I
have been feeding him in half cup increments and this problem is
improving. I am also feeding him out of my palm whenever possible so
that he understands that I would never allow him to go hungry again.
Now I am able to leave dry out and he is fine. I think that a lot of
orphan cats develop this problem, but in my experience, they grow out
of it as they become more comfortable in their new homes.

I wish you the best.
-C