PDA

View Full Version : HELP--my cat is destroying my carpet!

Peg
February 4th 07, 01:25 AM
Hi all,

My cat is about 2 1/2 years, and in the last couple of months he's
started to claw and chew on the carpeted stairs. He mainly goes after
the top stair, and since we have a split-level house that's 3 stairs
in all that he is absolutely hell-bent on destroying. He's constantly
clawing (as if it's a scratching post--yes, he has one of those, right
next to the stairs!) and "playing" with the stairs, and even biting on
them. Unfortunately this is a rental house, so we cannot just rip out
the carpet and replace with hardwood (which would be our choice, if
the choice were ours to make). Over the last couple of weeks this
behavior has gotten WORSE--we're actually going to have to hire
someone to come and repair the carpet as best as possible, but we're
also worried about this behavior continuing. Can anybody make some
suggestions? I've tried spraying the bitter apple stuff on the
stairs, and it doesn't stop him--I've also tried the stuff that you're
supposed to spray on the furniture to keep cats off of it, and that
didn't do any good either--in fact I think it made him claw and chew
even more than before. We're just about to take him to have him de-
clawed, but would like to avoid that if possible because we know
that's pretty cruel, and he likes to go outside...plus de-clawing will
not necessarily stop the chewing (although I have a feeling that if he
cannot "hug" the stair with all his claws, then he'll be less inclined
to chew on it). Has anybody had any success getting a cat to stop
clawing/chewing, especially after they SHOULD have already outgrown
such behavior?

TIA-

avsfan

cybercat
February 4th 07, 01:35 AM
"Peg" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> My cat is about 2 1/2 years, and in the last couple of months he's
> started to claw and chew on the carpeted stairs.

Has it never occurred to you to clip his claws?

Jesus.

Lynne
February 4th 07, 01:45 AM
on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 01:35:38 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Has it never occurred to you to clip his claws?

Exactly.

Keep them trimmed short and he won't be able to do so much damage. You
could also cover the carpet with a stair runner, made of either vinyl or
carpet. Staple it to the floor and remove it when you move. You could
also try using a scat mat, or shaking a can of coins at the cat when he
does this. You have a whole host of options available to you, and none of
them involve mutilating your cat.

--
Lynne

joni
February 4th 07, 02:04 AM
On Feb 3, 5:25 pm, "Peg" > wrote:
> (as if it's a scratching post--yes, he has one of those, right
> next to the stairs!) and "playing" with the stairs, and even biting on
> them.

Move the scratching post away from the stairs, spray/coat the
scratching post with catnip to attract him to it.

I agree, cover the steps with vinyl runner or even those sticky tapes
for awhile to deter him from scratching here.

<<and he likes to go outside>>

Please dont .. keep him inside unless you tend to him on a leash
outside.
Cats in our part of CA get eaten as a snack by the coyotes or racoons
(and we arent in the 'country' either but in a city area).
Heartbreaking to see posters for 'lost' dogs and cats when you know
they arent 'lost' but eaten.

joanne

Peg
February 4th 07, 04:32 AM
On Feb 3, 6:35 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Peg" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > My cat is about 2 1/2 years, and in the last couple of months he's
> > started to claw and chew on the carpeted stairs.
>
> Has it never occurred to you to clip his claws?
>
> Jesus.

Name's not "Jesus" but thanks anyways. Especially for being so
helpful yet not sarcastic or rude at all. Very enlightening. Much
appreciated.

avsfan

Peg
February 4th 07, 04:35 AM
On Feb 3, 6:35 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Peg" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > My cat is about 2 1/2 years, and in the last couple of months he's
> > started to claw and chew on the carpeted stairs.
>
> Has it never occurred to you to clip his claws?
>
> Jesus.

BTW--since you seem to be so knowledgeable and polite--how exactly
will trimming his claws stop him from chewing on the carpet? Should I
trim his teeth as well?

avsfan

Peg
February 4th 07, 04:36 AM
On Feb 3, 6:45 pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 01:35:38 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > Has it never occurred to you to clip his claws?
>
> Exactly.
>
> Keep them trimmed short and he won't be able to do so much damage. You
> could also cover the carpet with a stair runner, made of either vinyl or
> carpet. Staple it to the floor and remove it when you move. You could
> also try using a scat mat, or shaking a can of coins at the cat when he
> does this. You have a whole host of options available to you, and none of
> them involve mutilating your cat.
>
> --
> Lynne

Well, yes, I'm actually looking for the "whole host of options" here.
So far I've read "trim his claws" (will not keep him from chewing on
the carpet); shake a can of coins at him during behavior (have tried
this approach, but cannot watch him every second of every day); and
cover carpet with a stair runner--this is perhaps the best option
presented yet. As for the rest of the "host" of options???

avsfan

cybercat
February 4th 07, 04:39 AM
"Peg" > wrote

> Name's not "Jesus" but thanks anyways. Especially for being so
> helpful yet not sarcastic or rude at all. Very enlightening. Much
> appreciated.

Well, GD, you are talking about having the last joints of her
digits hacked off, and you have not even bothered to try
clipping her claws??

Why?

cybercat
February 4th 07, 04:40 AM
"Peg" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 3, 6:45 pm, Lynne > wrote:
>> on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 01:35:38 GMT, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Has it never occurred to you to clip his claws?
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>> Keep them trimmed short and he won't be able to do so much damage. You
>> could also cover the carpet with a stair runner, made of either vinyl or
>> carpet. Staple it to the floor and remove it when you move. You could
>> also try using a scat mat, or shaking a can of coins at the cat when he
>> does this. You have a whole host of options available to you, and none
>> of
>> them involve mutilating your cat.
>>
>> --
>> Lynne
>
> Well, yes, I'm actually looking for the "whole host of options" here.
> So far I've read "trim his claws" (will not keep him from chewing on
> the carpet); shake a can of coins at him during behavior (have tried
> this approach, but cannot watch him every second of every day); and
> cover carpet with a stair runner--this is perhaps the best option
> presented yet. As for the rest of the "host" of options???

You want a lot, don't you, bitch.

cybercat
February 4th 07, 04:46 AM
"Peg" > wrote

> BTW--since you seem to be so knowledgeable and polite--how exactly
> will trimming his claws stop him from chewing on the carpet? Should I
> trim his teeth as well?

Google is your friend, genius. Google this group using keywords.

Your cat needs more attention and more toys. You can spray the
area with any number of repellants, or you can create your own
using a citrus-scented spray. Some believe in bitter apple, and
spray it on their wiring, carpets, etc.

If you want a friendlier response, try not mentioning declawing
when you have not even ****ing bothered to cut the cat's claws.

It just rubs people who like cats the wrong way.

It's kind of natural, when you think about it.

Kind of like, people who like dogs might get annoyed if
you talked about hacking off the last joints of the dogs
toes before you had ever taken him to get his nails clipped.

HTH. HANN.

Lynne
February 4th 07, 04:59 AM
on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 04:36:43 GMT, "Peg" >
wrote:

> Well, yes, I'm actually looking for the "whole host of options" here.
> So far I've read "trim his claws" (will not keep him from chewing on
> the carpet);

AND DECLAWING HIM WILL???

> shake a can of coins at him during behavior (have tried
> this approach, but cannot watch him every second of every day);

If you scare him and he doesn't know it's you shaking the can, you should
only have to do this once or twice, yet it sounds like you already
screwed that up...

> and
> cover carpet with a stair runner--this is perhaps the best option
> presented yet. As for the rest of the "host" of options???

How about trying one or all of these and then getting back to us. I can
think of quite a lot of ideas to try, but I don't know your cat or how
you are with him, so I'm hesitant to suggest them. My adult cat responds
to the word "no" and gentle redirection. My kitten is starting to do the
same.

If you are still compelled to MUTILATE your cat, my number one suggestion
is to rehome him. I'm quite serious.

It is mind boggeling to me that carpet--which can be replaced when you
move, BTW--is more important to you than your cat, whose joints are NOT
replaceable.

--
Lynne

Pijewlchio
February 4th 07, 05:03 AM
so pull the freaking carpet out

what's your problem

put a throw rug down
cover it with flayed trash bags

throw the cat on the roof next time

tell her to rip the old shingles off
lmao

I HOPE SHE SHREDS EVERYTHING IN YOUR HOUSE
oups.com...
wrote:

> > > Has it never occurred to you to clip his claws?
> >
> > Exactly.
> >
> > Keep them trimmed short and he won't be able to do so much damage. You
> > could also cover the carpet with a stair runner, made of either vinyl or
> > carpet. Staple it to the floor and remove it when you move. You could
> > also try using a scat mat, or shaking a can of coins at the cat when he
> > does this. You have a whole host of options available to you, and none
of
> > them involve mutilating your cat.
> >
> > --
> > Lynne
>
> Well, yes, I'm actually looking for the "whole host of options" here.
> So far I've read "trim his claws" (will not keep him from chewing on
> the carpet); shake a can of coins at him during behavior (have tried
> this approach, but cannot watch him every second of every day); and
> cover carpet with a stair runner--this is perhaps the best option
> presented yet. As for the rest of the "host" of options???
>
> avsfan

Lorraine
February 4th 07, 01:09 PM
On 3 Feb 2007 17:25:26 -0800, "Peg" > wrote:

>My cat is about 2 1/2 years, and in the last couple of months he's
>started to claw and chew on the carpeted stairs. He mainly goes after
>the top stair, and since we have a split-level house that's 3 stairs
>in all that he is absolutely hell-bent on destroying. He's constantly
>clawing (as if it's a scratching post--yes, he has one of those, right
>next to the stairs!) and "playing" with the stairs, and even biting on
>them.

Is he lying down while attacking the stair? In addition to the vinyl
stair runner, perhaps provide him with a similar surface. Wrap a block
of 4x4 piece of wood in a carpet scrap or with sisal. Make it block
long enough that he can wrap himself around it with his whole body, and
really abuse it. The scratching post is great, but not all cats want to
scratch in one position. You might even try lying the scratching post
over on its side for a while, but it would be better to provide his with
a variety.

L.

Wendy
February 4th 07, 03:48 PM
"Lorraine" > wrote in message
> On 3 Feb 2007 17:25:26 -0800, "Peg" > wrote:
>
>>My cat is about 2 1/2 years, and in the last couple of months he's
>>started to claw and chew on the carpeted stairs. He mainly goes after
>>the top stair, and since we have a split-level house that's 3 stairs
>>in all that he is absolutely hell-bent on destroying. He's constantly
>>clawing (as if it's a scratching post--yes, he has one of those, right
>>next to the stairs!) and "playing" with the stairs, and even biting on
>>them.
>
> Is he lying down while attacking the stair? In addition to the vinyl
> stair runner, perhaps provide him with a similar surface. Wrap a block
> of 4x4 piece of wood in a carpet scrap or with sisal. Make it block
> long enough that he can wrap himself around it with his whole body, and
> really abuse it. The scratching post is great, but not all cats want to
> scratch in one position. You might even try lying the scratching post
> over on its side for a while, but it would be better to provide his with
> a variety.
>
> L.

The OP could also try one of the horizontal cardboard scratchers or the one
that is slanted. I have a foster who loves to scratch, rub and chew on one I
have in the foster room. It's the first place this kitty heads for when it's
her turn to be out and about for a while.

February 4th 07, 05:55 PM
"Wendy" > wrote

> The OP could also try one of the horizontal cardboard scratchers or the
> one that is slanted. I have a foster who loves to scratch, rub and chew on
> one I have in the foster room. It's the first place this kitty heads for
> when it's her turn to be out and about for a while.

The Alpine Scratcher is great, my cats hardly touch anything else now.

But the OP would say, "That won't stop him from chewing the carpet
now will it?"

She seems to want an easy fix. Easier than trimming kitt's claws once
a month, I guess.

Lynne
February 4th 07, 06:08 PM
on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 17:55:30 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> The Alpine Scratcher is great, my cats hardly touch anything else now.

I wonder if the OP's existing scratching post is even tall enough for her
cat to get a decent scratch, too?

At any rate, cats need a variety of scratchers. My cats have 2 towers and
2 corregated cardboard scratchers. They are all in different rooms, and I
don't have any problems with them scratching where they shouldn't. I used
to, before I got posts that were tall enough. Lesson learned. One day
I'll get that leather repaired, hehe.

--
Lynne

cindys
February 4th 07, 07:26 PM
"Peg" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 3, 6:45 pm, Lynne > wrote:
>> on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 01:35:38 GMT, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Has it never occurred to you to clip his claws?
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>> Keep them trimmed short and he won't be able to do so much damage. You
>> could also cover the carpet with a stair runner, made of either vinyl or
>> carpet. Staple it to the floor and remove it when you move. You could
>> also try using a scat mat, or shaking a can of coins at the cat when he
>> does this. You have a whole host of options available to you, and none
>> of
>> them involve mutilating your cat.
>>
>> --
>> Lynne
>
> Well, yes, I'm actually looking for the "whole host of options" here.
-----------
SoftPaws. Little rubber caps that you glue over the cats (trimmed) claws
that only need to be replaced about once a month (when the claws grow out).
I've used them in the past and they work great.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

> So far I've read "trim his claws" (will not keep him from chewing on
> the carpet); shake a can of coins at him during behavior (have tried
> this approach, but cannot watch him every second of every day); and
> cover carpet with a stair runner--this is perhaps the best option
> presented yet. As for the rest of the "host" of options???
>
> avsfan

Lorraine
February 5th 07, 12:02 AM
On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 12:08:27 -0600, Lynne >
wrote:

>I wonder if the OP's existing scratching post is even tall enough for her
>cat to get a decent scratch, too?

We recently put up two new tall "scratching posts."
http://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain/Indie/photo#5027821533024192418
http://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain/Indie/photo#5027821533024192434
http://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain/Indie/photo#5027827000517560434

They're just floor to ceiling length 2x4s wrapped in sisal, but the
kitties love them. We have one in the hallway, and Ellie can't walk by
it without scratching. We're going to put another up a few feet from the
one pictured above and attach a platform between them. Or a hammock.
Don't know yet for sure.

In addition, we have a couple of trees, as well as several other items
of cat furniture with sisal or carpet wrapped legs. We also have an
alpine scratcher, and two turbo scratchers with the cardboard
scratchers. The cardboard in the turbo scratchers gets ignored, and the
alpine scratcher is mostly only used by Ty -- our only declawed cat. She
loves it, but likes the sisal as well.

--
L.
Pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain

Lynne
February 5th 07, 12:16 AM
on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 00:02:27 GMT, Lorraine >
wrote:

> They're just floor to ceiling length 2x4s wrapped in sisal, but the
> kitties love them. We have one in the hallway, and Ellie can't walk by
> it without scratching. We're going to put another up a few feet from the
> one pictured above and attach a platform between them. Or a hammock.
> Don't know yet for sure.

That's a fabulous idea! I'm going to do something similar here. Thanks
for posting those photos. Indie is gorgeous, by the way.

--
Lynne

Peg
February 5th 07, 05:04 AM
On Feb 4, 6:09 am, Lorraine > wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2007 17:25:26 -0800, "Peg" > wrote:
>
> >My cat is about 2 1/2 years, and in the last couple of months he's
> >started to claw and chew on the carpeted stairs. He mainly goes after
> >the top stair, and since we have a split-level house that's 3 stairs
> >in all that he is absolutely hell-bent on destroying. He's constantly
> >clawing (as if it's a scratching post--yes, he has one of those, right
> >next to the stairs!) and "playing" with the stairs, and even biting on
> >them.
>
> Is he lying down while attacking the stair? In addition to the vinyl
> stair runner, perhaps provide him with a similar surface. Wrap a block
> of 4x4 piece of wood in a carpet scrap or with sisal. Make it block
> long enough that he can wrap himself around it with his whole body, and
> really abuse it. The scratching post is great, but not all cats want to
> scratch in one position. You might even try lying the scratching post
> over on its side for a while, but it would be better to provide his with
> a variety.
>
> L.

Ahh, see, that's a GREAT idea--I think I'd even go for a 6x6 just to
try to match the size of the stair more closely. Yes, he's lying down
on his side, like I said sort of "hugging" the stairs when he goes
after them--like he just wants to play with them. I think the
combination of the vinyl runner on the stairs, plus the 6x6 block
covered with carpet to redirect him, just might work! Thanks for your
input. Much appreciated.

avsfan

Peg
February 5th 07, 05:08 AM
On Feb 4, 11:08 am, Lynne > wrote:
> on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 17:55:30 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > The Alpine Scratcher is great, my cats hardly touch anything else now.
>
> I wonder if the OP's existing scratching post is even tall enough for her
> cat to get a decent scratch, too?
>
> At any rate, cats need a variety of scratchers. My cats have 2 towers and
> 2 corregated cardboard scratchers. They are all in different rooms, and I
> don't have any problems with them scratching where they shouldn't. I used
> to, before I got posts that were tall enough. Lesson learned. One day
> I'll get that leather repaired, hehe.
>
> --
> Lynne

Ya, it's tall enough, he uses it ALL the time--and I've tried adding a
whole variety of other types of scratching posts, but he ignores ALL
of them and goes for the one at the bottom of the stairs. The
horizontal kind--totally disinterested--like he didn't even know what
to do with it!

And BTW...this is directed to another poster whose name I shall not
mention...if I was only interested in an "easy fix" I wouldn't be
posting here now, would I? I didn't even know you COULD trim a cat's
claws. But thanks for the suggestion, as I said, so kindly and gently
given. Makes me want to ask for advice here more often <NOT>. I hope
you don't work around children.

avsfan

Peg
February 5th 07, 05:11 AM
On Feb 4, 12:26 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Peg" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Feb 3, 6:45 pm, Lynne > wrote:
> >> on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 01:35:38 GMT, "cybercat" >

> >> Exactly.
>
> >> Keep them trimmed short and he won't be able to do so much damage. You
> >> could also cover the carpet with a stair runner, made of either vinyl or
> >> carpet. Staple it to the floor and remove it when you move. You could
> >> also try using a scat mat, or shaking a can of coins at the cat when he
> >> does this. You have a whole host of options available to you, and none
> >> of
> >> them involve mutilating your cat.
>
> >> --
> >> Lynne
>
> > Well, yes, I'm actually looking for the "whole host of options" here.
>
> -----------
> SoftPaws. Little rubber caps that you glue over the cats (trimmed) claws
> that only need to be replaced about once a month (when the claws grow out).
> I've used them in the past and they work great.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
>

> > So far I've read "trim his claws" (will not keep him from chewing on
> > the carpet); shake a can of coins at him during behavior (have tried
> > this approach, but cannot watch him every second of every day); and
> > cover carpet with a stair runner--this is perhaps the best option
> > presented yet. As for the rest of the "host" of options???
>
> > avsfan- Hide quoted text -

Oh, hey, that's freakin' awesome! Did s/he eventually quit the
behavior, or are you still using the SoftPaws? Did you buy them at a
pet store, or somewhere online? I had one hell of a time trimming his
claws last night, so I'm not sure I'll be able to glue anything to
them without sedating him first. :-) Thanks for the tip, Cindy.

avsfan

Peg
February 5th 07, 05:45 AM
On Feb 4, 10:11 pm, "Peg" > wrote:
> On Feb 4, 12:26 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
>

> > "Peg" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> > > Well, yes, I'm actually looking for the "whole host of options" here.
>
> > -----------
> > SoftPaws. Little rubber caps that you glue over the cats (trimmed) claws
> > that only need to be replaced about once a month (when the claws grow out).
> > I've used them in the past and they work great.
> > Best regards,
> > ---Cindy S.
>
> > > So far I've read "trim his claws" (will not keep him from chewing on
> > > the carpet); shake a can of coins at him during behavior (have tried
> > > this approach, but cannot watch him every second of every day); and
> > > cover carpet with a stair runner--this is perhaps the best option
> > > presented yet. As for the rest of the "host" of options???
>
> > > avsfan- Hide quoted text -

> Oh, hey, that's freakin' awesome! Did s/he eventually quit the
> behavior, or are you still using the SoftPaws? Did you buy them at a
> pet store, or somewhere online? I had one hell of a time trimming his
> claws last night, so I'm not sure I'll be able to glue anything to
> them without sedating him first. :-) Thanks for the tip, Cindy.
>
> avsfan- Hide quoted text -

I found them, and just ordered a set, but am still not sure I'll be
able to glue them on...now I need a cat sedative of some sort.

avsfan

cindys
February 5th 07, 05:51 PM
"Peg" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 4, 12:26 pm, "cindys" > wrote:
>> "Peg" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...

>> > Well, yes, I'm actually looking for the "whole host of options" here.
>>
>> -----------
>> SoftPaws. Little rubber caps that you glue over the cats (trimmed) claws
>> that only need to be replaced about once a month (when the claws grow
>> out).
>> I've used them in the past and they work great.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>>

>> > So far I've read "trim his claws" (will not keep him from chewing on
>> > the carpet); shake a can of coins at him during behavior (have tried
>> > this approach, but cannot watch him every second of every day); and
>> > cover carpet with a stair runner--this is perhaps the best option
>> > presented yet. As for the rest of the "host" of options???
>>
>> > avsfan- Hide quoted text -

> Oh, hey, that's freakin' awesome! Did s/he eventually quit the
> behavior, or are you still using the SoftPaws? Did you buy them at a
> pet store, or somewhere online? I had one hell of a time trimming his
> claws last night, so I'm not sure I'll be able to glue anything to
> them without sedating him first. :-) Thanks for the tip, Cindy.
--------
In my situation, my child had gotten in the cat's face and the cat scratched
him. I used the SoftPaws for a while. The cat never took another swipe at
the child, but the SoftPaws were like an insurance policy. I will tell you
that the cat in question was not the least bit cooperative about having his
nails clipped, but it gets easier with practice. My husband would hold him
over the sink, and I would clip. Sometimes, due to lack of cooperation, we
didn't do all the claws at the same time. We would do a few, then give it a
rest, then go back to it a little later. Usually what happens is the first
couple of claws are [relatively] easier to clip, then the cat gets
progressively more agitated and upset. When I saw that was happening, I
would let him go, then go back to it later (rather than fighting with him or
getting him more worked up). Sometimes the cat would kind of cry or shriek,
but don't let that fool you; it's just a lot of noise.You're not hurting him
as long as you're careful to cut only the tips of the claws and not too far
down. To put on the SoftPaws, press on his pads to extend the (clipped)
claws and put a SoftPaw over each one. The glue sticks almost instantly.
When the claws are retracted, the SoftPaws are thin enough to slip right
under the cat's cuticle, so the cat doesn't even notice them. He thinks
they're just part of his claws. The first time, you might want to take the
cat to the veterinarian and ask one of the technicians to demonstrate how to
put them on, maybe walk you through the procedure. Worst case scenario: You
could probably do that several times. The SoftPaws stay on for a long time
(a month or two) until the claws grow out, and if you needed the assistance
of only the technician, you would probably not have to pay for a full office
visit. I know that our vet (who is very expensive) charges only $5 to have a
technician clip a dog's nails or a cat's claws. Good luck. Please let us
know how it goes.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Lynne
February 5th 07, 07:55 PM
on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:51:38 GMT, "cindys" >
wrote:

> Sometimes, due to lack of cooperation, we
> didn't do all the claws at the same time. We would do a few, then give
> it a rest, then go back to it a little later. Usually what happens is
> the first couple of claws are [relatively] easier to clip, then the
> cat gets progressively more agitated and upset. When I saw that was
> happening, I would let him go, then go back to it later (rather than
> fighting with him or getting him more worked up)

This is excellent advice, and exactly what I had to do with Rudy when I
brought him home as a feral at the age of 4 months. After many months, I
was able to do more and more claws at one time, and now I can do them all
without anything more than a tail twitch from him.

The clippers made for cat claws are definitely easier to use than anything
else I've tried, including dog clippers and human clippers. Look for them
in the cat care aisle of the feed supply store.

--
Lynne

cindys
February 5th 07, 08:11 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:51:38 GMT, "cindys" >
> wrote:
>
>> Sometimes, due to lack of cooperation, we
>> didn't do all the claws at the same time. We would do a few, then give
>> it a rest, then go back to it a little later. Usually what happens is
>> the first couple of claws are [relatively] easier to clip, then the
>> cat gets progressively more agitated and upset. When I saw that was
>> happening, I would let him go, then go back to it later (rather than
>> fighting with him or getting him more worked up)
>
> This is excellent advice, and exactly what I had to do with Rudy when I
> brought him home as a feral at the age of 4 months. After many months, I
> was able to do more and more claws at one time, and now I can do them all
> without anything more than a tail twitch from him.
>
> The clippers made for cat claws are definitely easier to use than anything
> else I've tried, including dog clippers and human clippers. Look for them
> in the cat care aisle of the feed supply store.
-------
Thank you, Lynne.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

BarB
February 6th 07, 06:53 AM
On 3 Feb 2007 17:25:26 -0800, "Peg" >
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>My cat is about 2 1/2 years, and in the last couple of months he's
>started to claw and chew on the carpeted stairs.

Buy a Scat Mat. You will find several sources on line including
PetSmart. Here is one.
http://www.safepetproducts.com/pilot.asp?pg=scatmat&gclid=CMDpk42RmYoCFQ4iggodjlnBoQ

When the scat mat is touched, the battery sends small pulses to the
Scat Mat for 3 seconds. These surprising little 'zaps' quickly repel
most cats & dogs who stay away after one or two exposures - even
after the scat mat is removed.

I keep one as a last resort to protect something I'm working on. All
mine know that that plastic cover is off limits and I don't even turn
it on any more. It's much better than declawing, which by the way is
a word it is unwise to use in this group.:)

BarB

A Cat
February 6th 07, 09:29 PM
On 3 Feb 2007 17:25:26 -0800, "Peg" >
wrote:

Ever try a spray bottle....a few shots and they will most likely not
return to their behavior....use this in combination of cutting claws.

bookie
February 7th 07, 01:50 AM
On 5 Feb, 00:02, Lorraine > wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 12:08:27 -0600, Lynne >
> wrote:
>
> >I wonder if the OP's existing scratching post is even tall enough for her
> >cat to get a decent scratch, too?
>
> We recently put up two new tall "scratching posts." http://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain/Indie/photo#5027821533024...http://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain/Indie/photo#5027821533024...http://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain/Indie/photo#5027827000517...
>
> They're just floor to ceiling length 2x4s wrapped in sisal, but the
> kitties love them. We have one in the hallway, and Ellie can't walk by
> it without scratching. We're going to put another up a few feet from the
> one pictured above and attach a platform between them. Or a hammock.
> Don't know yet for sure.
>
> In addition, we have a couple of trees, as well as several other items
> of cat furniture with sisal or carpet wrapped legs. We also have an
> alpine scratcher, and two turbo scratchers with the cardboard
> scratchers. The cardboard in the turbo scratchers gets ignored, and the
> alpine scratcher is mostly only used by Ty -- our only declawed cat. She
> loves it, but likes the sisal as well.
>
> --
> L.
> Pictures athttp://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain
> Last updated 2007/02/04

nothing to do with the scratchers, although they do look good,
just had to say that Indie is GORGEOUS, but then I am biased towards
tortoieshells.

she looks just like my Tegan (RB july 2006) and I bet she is a gymnast
and a scallywag just the same

bookie

bookie
February 7th 07, 02:04 AM

> And BTW...this is directed to another poster whose name I shall not
> mention...if I was only interested in an "easy fix" I wouldn't be
> posting here now, would I? I didn't even know you COULD trim a cat's
> claws. But thanks for the suggestion, as I said, so kindly and gently
> given. Makes me want to ask for advice here more often <NOT>. I hope
> you don't work around children.

why do people come out with that stupid comment just because someone
doesn't have the patience of a saint and does not suffer stupidity or
ignorance? it is a really stupid thing to say, do you think then that
people who work around kids should be endlessly patient and tolerant
of all sorts of stupid and imbecilic behaviour then? should someone
who works with kids then just allow them to walk all over people? I
think not.

as someone who has worked with kids for years and also has little time
for stupidity and idiotic comments i can tell you that kids benefit
from knowing where the boundaries lie and being given rules and by
learning from an early age what is an appropriate thing to say or do
at a particularly time. If you do not teach kids that early on then
you are doing them a disservice and certainly most of the kids I have
dealt with would know that it is somewhat inappropriate and to
announce on a pro-cat welfare usenet site that you are contemplating
declawing/mutilating you cat, and they woudl also not be so ignorant
as to expect to get a nice friendly response in return. Why? because
they have been taught, and not just by me, that in the real world
people's patience with stupidity has its limits.

christ almighty, if you think acceptable to allow kids to continue
asking totally stupid questions and making inappropriate comments and
not to learn to shut their mouths at the correct time and be quiet
then really YOU are the one who should not work around children.
Especially so if you are going to put the value of a bit of old carpet
over that of a living creature's comfort and welfare.

bookie

Charlie Wilkes
February 7th 07, 03:09 AM
On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 21:08:36 -0800, Peg wrote:

> And BTW...this is directed to another poster whose name I shall not
> mention...if I was only interested in an "easy fix" I wouldn't be
> posting here now, would I? I didn't even know you COULD trim a cat's
> claws. But thanks for the suggestion, as I said, so kindly and gently
> given. Makes me want to ask for advice here more often <NOT>. I hope
> you don't work around children.
>
> avsfan

Yikes. It looks like you ran afoul of the anti-declawing crew. I offer
my condolences along with a suggestion, for what it might be worth: get a
cheap rug and staple it over the carpet you are trying to protect.

Charlie

Peg
February 8th 07, 02:34 AM
On Feb 6, 7:04 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
> > I hope
> > you don't work around children.
>
> why do people come out with that stupid comment just because someone
> doesn't have the patience of a saint and does not suffer stupidity or
> ignorance? it is a really stupid thing to say, do you think then that
> people who work around kids should be endlessly patient and tolerant
> of all sorts of stupid and imbecilic behaviour then?

For the most part, yes. Coming from a 15-year veteran teacher...you
should absolutely NOT EVER call a child an "imbecile" even if s/he is
acting like one. Especially when s/he starts out by saying "I know
declawing is cruel..." Is it appropriate to attack someone for
mentioning the dreaded "d word," with that sort of introduction?

DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING
RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!!
In fact I think I WILL go ahead and get him declawed, just to spite
you personally. The appointment is next Monday.

should someone
> who works with kids then just allow them to walk all over people? I
> think not.

You think I "walked all over" someone in my original post? Go read it
again. And you'll notice that the respondant walked all over ME for
NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

> as someone who has worked with kids for years and also has little time
> for stupidity and idiotic comments i can tell you that kids benefit
> from knowing where the boundaries lie and being given rules and by
> learning from an early age what is an appropriate thing to say or do
> at a particularly time.

I pray to God that you don't ever call them "stupid" or "idiots," at
any age. If you do, you should be fired. Otherwise, basically what
you're telling me is that on Friday when I hand out the "food web"
assignment, the first kid (sophomores in high school, by the way) who
asks me if the sun is a producer or a consumer, I should laugh at them
in front of everybody and tell them what an idiot they are. What if
that was your kid? What if that was YOU?

<other useless drivel snipped>

avsfan

Lynne
February 8th 07, 02:44 AM
on Thu, 08 Feb 2007 02:34:35 GMT, "Peg" > wrote:

> Is it appropriate to attack someone for
> mentioning the dreaded "d word," with that sort of introduction?

No, it isn't. Not at all. Education is the only appropriate response.
People just get frustrated with this issue because it comes up so often,
and they lose their patience. There's also at least one completely
unhinged individual here who goes off pretty regularly... This is why the
gods created killfiles.

--
Lynne

Charlie Wilkes
February 8th 07, 08:32 AM
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:34:35 -0800, Peg wrote:

> DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING
> RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!!
> In fact I think I WILL go ahead and get him declawed, just to spite
> you personally. The appointment is next Monday.

Good lord. Are you by any chance a lady astronaut?

Charlie

Go Daddy
February 8th 07, 12:33 PM
On Feb 8, 3:32 am, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:

> Good lord. Are you by any chance a lady astronaut?
>
> Charlie

haha

cybercat
February 8th 07, 12:35 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
m...
> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:34:35 -0800, Peg wrote:
>
>> DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING
>> RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!!
>> In fact I think I WILL go ahead and get him declawed, just to spite
>> you personally. The appointment is next Monday.
>
> Good lord. Are you by any chance a lady astronaut?

hahaha!

bookie
February 8th 07, 03:22 PM
On 8 Feb, 02:34, "Peg" > wrote:
> On Feb 6, 7:04 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
>
> > > I hope
> > > you don't work around children.
>
> > why do people come out with that stupid comment just because someone
> > doesn't have the patience of a saint and does not suffer stupidity or
> > ignorance? it is a really stupid thing to say, do you think then that
> > people who work around kids should be endlessly patient and tolerant
> > of all sorts of stupid and imbecilic behaviour then?
>
> For the most part, yes. Coming from a 15-year veteran teacher...you
> should absolutely NOT EVER call a child an "imbecile" even if s/he is
> acting like one. Especially when s/he starts out by saying "I know
> declawing is cruel..." Is it appropriate to attack someone for
> mentioning the dreaded "d word," with that sort of introduction?
>
> DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING
> RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!! DECLAWING RULES!!
> In fact I think I WILL go ahead and get him declawed, just to spite
> you personally. The appointment is next Monday.
>
> should someone
>
> > who works with kids then just allow them to walk all over people? I
> > think not.
>
> You think I "walked all over" someone in my original post? Go read it
> again. And you'll notice that the respondant walked all over ME for
> NO REASON WHATSOEVER.
>
> > as someone who has worked with kids for years and also has little time
> > for stupidity and idiotic comments i can tell you that kids benefit
> > from knowing where the boundaries lie and being given rules and by
> > learning from an early age what is an appropriate thing to say or do
> > at a particularly time.
>
> I pray to God that you don't ever call them "stupid" or "idiots," at
> any age. If you do, you should be fired. Otherwise, basically what
> you're telling me is that on Friday when I hand out the "food web"
> assignment, the first kid (sophomores in high school, by the way) who
> asks me if the sun is a producer or a consumer, I should laugh at them
> in front of everybody and tell them what an idiot they are. What if
> that was your kid? What if that was YOU?
>
> <other useless drivel snipped>
>
> avsfan

of i would not laugh at them if that was ther first time they were
asking that question, but for a a question abuot the appropriateness
of declawing to come from an adult who should know better (ie a
university educated teacher i assume? don't know about the US of A but
here all teachers must have a degree in the subject they teach) then
yes i do think that shows an incredibly low level of intelligence and
understanding, especially considerign the community to which you have
address the question

also did i ever at all mention that i call kids 'imbeciles' or
'stupid'; ? no! learn to read, then re-read my post.

bookie

Captain Bob
February 11th 07, 10:30 PM
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:35:58 -0500
"cybercat" > wrote:

>> In fact I think I WILL go ahead and get him declawed, just to spite

This is an act of torture! It (IMHO) should NEVER be done). By
de-clawing your friend, you are denying him/her the his/her natural and
proper reactions to his/her environment! You are admitting that you, as
a Human, have failed, and are not capable, nor willing to communicate
with your Animal friend.... and that you are deficient, and cruel, as
far as the "solution" is concerned!

If you MUST (in your paradigm) mutilate your Feline-Friend(sic); then
you are no friend of your CAT! Give her/him away! Do NOT mutilate your
animal friend. to bring her/him into compliance with your
misconception's of what a "CAT" should be.

Please be advised; "your" CAT has as much a right to live, and be happy,
in his/her paradigm and evolutionary strata , and natural environment
as you do! Probably more so! An act of cruelty and torture by you
against this life-form, by any definition or for any "purpose" is simply
a denial of your friend's rights! Don't do it! If you do you are guilty
of torture!

How would you feel and react, if your fingernails and your balls were
removed, and you were placed in a small cage for the express pleasure
of some suposedly "higher form of life"?????

Please treat your "Animal" friends/companions, as you would like to be
treated! Anything less; IMHO, makes you a criminal! Don't you realize
these "animals" have a conciseness, and a culture all their own? That
destroying it is not only crule but immoral?

Bob

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Motor Vessel Tamara B

Matthew
February 12th 07, 07:27 AM
So If I am reading that right you don't believe in spay or neutering your
pet.

"Captain Bob" > wrote in message

Matthew
February 12th 07, 07:33 AM
"Peg"

<snipped for being way too much useless drivel >

No wonder I school systems are screwed up with twits like this in the
classroom. Take a extra strength midal and grew up.
Here is a link go and buy some. http://tinyurl.com/2vnlk7

If that don't work find the nearest social worker and ask for some Ritalin

Matthew
February 12th 07, 07:47 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "Peg"
>
> <snipped for being way too much useless drivel >
>
> No wonder the school systems are screwed up with twits like this in the
> classroom. Take a extra strength midal and grew up.
> Here is a link go and buy some. http://tinyurl.com/2vnlk7
>
> If that don't work find the nearest social worker and ask for some Ritalin
> for that tantrum you just threw.

What the heck is with roadrunner tonight my post are being changed or
deleted. I see some spelling errors and deleted text in my other post but
in my sent items file it shows it different

Captain Bob
February 12th 07, 08:52 PM
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 02:27:23 -0500
"Matthew" > wrote:

> So If I am reading that right you don't believe in spay or neutering
> your pet.

That is correct. My 7 year old Female Has all her parts in tact.
The only way I would have her altered in any way is if it becomes
medically necessary for her health/survival.

Bob

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Motor Vessel Tamara B
X against HTML email & vCards - http://www.tamara-b.org
/ \ Tania Our Cat http://www.tamara-b.org/t1.jpg
.. . http://www.tamara-b.org/t2.jpg

Matthew
February 12th 07, 09:02 PM
"Captain Bob" > wrote in message

Well to make a quote stupid is as stupid does

cybercat
February 12th 07, 10:21 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> So If I am reading that right you don't believe in spay or neutering your
> pet.
>

> "Captain Bob" > wrote in message

Heh. It's not a full moon, either.

Captain Bob
February 12th 07, 10:35 PM
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:02:59 -0500
"Matthew" > wrote:

> Well to make a quote stupid is as stupid does

Could you explain how it is a "stupid thing" to live and love an
animal in it's healthy and whole state?

Tania is active (not lethargic), healthy, happy. She is a "self feeder"
and lean (not overweight) and strong. How is it a "stupid thing" to not
want to fundamentally change who she is?

I am willing to put up with the down-side of her catness because the
rewards of the up-side greatly outweigh them.

Bob

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Motor Vessel Tamara B
X against HTML email & vCards - http://www.tamara-b.org
/ \ Tania Our Cat http://www.tamara-b.org/t1.jpg
.. . http://www.tamara-b.org/t2.jpg

Matthew
February 12th 07, 10:48 PM
"Captain Bob" > wrote in message

You have the internet Google it There is an old saying tell me and I may
remember show me and I shall always remember.

Maybe if you read you will understand. If I sit and tell you. You
will automatically put up your defenses. If you read the facts in front of
you and than make the wrong decision than the only person you have to blame
is yourself. If you don't bother to look it up than the quote pertains
100%.

cybercat
February 12th 07, 10:51 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "Captain Bob" > wrote in message
>
> You have the internet Google it There is an old saying tell me and I may
> remember show me and I shall always remember.

I wouldn't bother with this guy. Myopic to the "nth" degree.
As long as his cats are "intact" who cares how many kittens
are produced, or how many they produce, or how much any
of them suffer.

Matthew
February 12th 07, 11:04 PM
That is said what I said after that " the fool reveals thyself with every
breathe they take". Another of my favorite quotes

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Captain Bob" > wrote in message
>>
>> You have the internet Google it There is an old saying tell me and I
>> may remember show me and I shall always remember.
>>

> I wouldn't bother with this guy. Myopic to the "nth" degree.
> As long as his cats are "intact" who cares how many kittens
> are produced, or how many they produce, or how much any
> of them suffer.

Matthew
February 12th 07, 11:10 PM
Dang road runner again my post is changed. I am calling tech support this
is ridiculous either post are deleted from my server or end up changed or
showing up weird.

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> That is said why I said after that " the fool reveals thyself with every
> breathe they take". Another of my favorite quotes from a favorite
> professor of long past
>

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Captain Bob" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> You have the internet Google it There is an old saying tell me and I
>>> may remember show me and I shall always remember.
>>>

>> I wouldn't bother with this guy. Myopic to the "nth" degree.
>> As long as his cats are "intact" who cares how many kittens
>> are produced, or how many they produce, or how much any
>> of them suffer.

Lynne
February 12th 07, 11:39 PM
on Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:10:53 GMT, "Matthew"
> wrote:

> Dang road runner again my post is changed. I am calling tech support
> this is ridiculous either post are deleted from my server or end up
> changed or showing up weird.

What's weird on my end is that 90% of Captain Bob's posts don't show up at
all on my reader. Well, they show up, but appear blank. Even when you
appear to be quoting him, I see nothing.

Does that mean I am lucky? :)

--
Lynne

cybercat
February 12th 07, 11:47 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:10:53 GMT, "Matthew"
> > wrote:
>
>> Dang road runner again my post is changed. I am calling tech support
>> this is ridiculous either post are deleted from my server or end up
>> changed or showing up weird.
>
> What's weird on my end is that 90% of Captain Bob's posts don't show up at
> all on my reader. Well, they show up, but appear blank. Even when you
> appear to be quoting him, I see nothing.
>
> Does that mean I am lucky? :)

Yes. And, it is the same on my end. The asshole is posting in html, it shows
up as an attachment.

Lynne
February 12th 07, 11:51 PM
on Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:47:19 GMT, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> Yes. And, it is the same on my end. The asshole is posting in html, it
> shows up as an attachment.

Ah. Maybe asshole is too strong a word? I'd go for dumbass. Of course I
haven't bothered to try very hard to read his posts, so maybe asshole is
right? Hehe.

One more 'blank' post and it's bye bye Bob. I'm not a very patient
Usenet'er.

--
Lynne

Matthew
February 12th 07, 11:51 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:10:53 GMT, "Matthew"
> > wrote:
>
>> Dang road runner again my post is changed. I am calling tech support
>> this is ridiculous either post are deleted from my server or end up
>> changed or showing up weird.
>
> What's weird on my end is that 90% of Captain Bob's posts don't show up at
> all on my reader. Well, they show up, but appear blank. Even when you
> appear to be quoting him, I see nothing.
>
> Does that mean I am lucky? :)
>
> --
> Lynne

Yes you are lucky you. He appears as a cat lover but ignorant or just
plain stupid about spaying

If you look they are showing up as an attached text with a signature.asc

cybercat
February 12th 07, 11:58 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> on Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:47:19 GMT, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> Yes. And, it is the same on my end. The asshole is posting in html, it
>> shows up as an attachment.
>
> Ah. Maybe asshole is too strong a word?

Asshole is the perfect word. He doesn't believe in spaying
or neutering, so he contributes to the suffering of countless
animals.

Lynne
February 13th 07, 12:07 AM
on Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:58:33 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Asshole is the perfect word. He doesn't believe in spaying
> or neutering, so he contributes to the suffering of countless
> animals.

Oh, jeez... one of those.

--
Lynne