PDA

View Full Version : Behavior, infection or ?

JB
February 4th 07, 03:07 AM
Bill, an 8 year old Maine Coon, for years believe it or not, has only peed
and pooped once a day. He seldom used his litter box as he would prefer to
be an outdoor cat anyway usually, if I would let him. When he peed it was a
huge puddle (you can't imagine). About a month ago he started going to his
litter box what seems like constantly and when he pees it's just a dribble.
I generally never see him pee outdoors but now it's a common sight. He
seems to feel fine and appetite is good.

We had a visitor just before this problem began. There was some tension in
the house that the animals could probably pick up on even though no one else
really could unless they knew. Bill did some other things that, as usual
returned to normal after about a week or two.

So........I don't know if what is going on is behavior or infection. I know
cats are prone to UTI's and my plans are to take him to the vet. I'm just
wondering if anyone has experienced any of these symptoms. Bill has,
fortunately, never been to a vet other than for routine stuff. He's never
been sick.

Thanks,
Joan

cybercat
February 4th 07, 03:27 AM
"JB" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Bill, an 8 year old Maine Coon, for years believe it or not, has only peed
> and pooped once a day. He seldom used his litter box as he would prefer
> be an outdoor cat anyway usually, if I would let him. When he peed it was
> huge puddle (you can't imagine). About a month ago he started going to
> his
> litter box what seems like constantly and when he pees it's just a
> dribble.
> I generally never see him pee outdoors but now it's a common sight. He
> seems to feel fine and appetite is good.
>
> We had a visitor just before this problem began. There was some tension
> in
> the house that the animals could probably pick up on even though no one
> else
> really could unless they knew. Bill did some other things that, as usual
> returned to normal after about a week or two.
>
> So........I don't know if what is going on is behavior or infection. I
> know
> cats are prone to UTI's and my plans are to take him to the vet. I'm just
> wondering if anyone has experienced any of these symptoms. Bill has,
> fortunately, never been to a vet other than for routine stuff. He's never
> been sick.

If he has a blockage he could die quickly. If he were my boy he would have
already been to the vet.

Spot
February 4th 07, 04:20 AM
This cat needs to go to a vet ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!! You are lucky he isn't dead
by now especially in a male cat. It sounds like an infection and you are
lucky he hasn't become blocked. A male cat can die in less than 24 hours
from a blockage.

Any time there is a change in litter habits a vet visit is called for
immediately

Celeste

"JB" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Bill, an 8 year old Maine Coon, for years believe it or not, has only peed
> and pooped once a day. He seldom used his litter box as he would prefer
> be an outdoor cat anyway usually, if I would let him. When he peed it was
> huge puddle (you can't imagine). About a month ago he started going to
> his
> litter box what seems like constantly and when he pees it's just a
> dribble.
> I generally never see him pee outdoors but now it's a common sight. He
> seems to feel fine and appetite is good.
>
> We had a visitor just before this problem began. There was some tension
> in
> the house that the animals could probably pick up on even though no one
> else
> really could unless they knew. Bill did some other things that, as usual
> returned to normal after about a week or two.
>
> So........I don't know if what is going on is behavior or infection. I
> know
> cats are prone to UTI's and my plans are to take him to the vet. I'm just
> wondering if anyone has experienced any of these symptoms. Bill has,
> fortunately, never been to a vet other than for routine stuff. He's never
> been sick.
>
> Thanks,
> Joan

Nadia N.
February 4th 07, 06:04 AM
Spot wrote:
> This cat needs to go to a vet ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!! You are lucky he isn't dead
> by now especially in a male cat. It sounds like an infection and you are
> lucky he hasn't become blocked. A male cat can die in less than 24 hours
> from a blockage.
>
> Any time there is a change in litter habits a vet visit is called for
> immediately
>
> Celeste
>

> "JB" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
>
>>Bill, an 8 year old Maine Coon, for years believe it or not, has only peed
>>and pooped once a day. He seldom used his litter box as he would prefer
>>be an outdoor cat anyway usually, if I would let him. When he peed it was
>>huge puddle (you can't imagine). About a month ago he started going to
>>his
>>litter box what seems like constantly and when he pees it's just a
>>dribble.
>>I generally never see him pee outdoors but now it's a common sight. He
>>seems to feel fine and appetite is good.
>>
>>We had a visitor just before this problem began. There was some tension
>>in
>>the house that the animals could probably pick up on even though no one
>>else
>>really could unless they knew. Bill did some other things that, as usual
>>returned to normal after about a week or two.
>>
>>So........I don't know if what is going on is behavior or infection. I
>>know
>>cats are prone to UTI's and my plans are to take him to the vet. I'm just
>>wondering if anyone has experienced any of these symptoms. Bill has,
>>fortunately, never been to a vet other than for routine stuff. He's never
>>been sick.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Joan

The other posters in this thread are right, it sounds like he might have
an infection or is partially blocked, and you should take him to the vet
asap.

My cat Kotyo (5 and a half years old) got a urinary blockage last March.
Like your cat, he used to only pee once every 24 hrs, always a huge
amount. The vet said that probably that's what caused his blockage - his
urine was too concentrated from staying in his bladder too long, so all
kinds of nasty stuff was forming in it. Eventually some of the stuff
moved into his urethra and he got blocked.

Ever since Kotyo's blockage, I have to add water to his every meal so
that his bladder will fill faster and he'll pee at least twice per day
(he won't drink enough water on his own). If he doesn't pee at least
twice in a day, then the next time he pees he gets some of the symptoms
you describe: after he empties his bladder he continues to go to the box
over and over, straining, peeing little dribbles, and eventually passing
some blood from all the straining. This has only happened two or three
times because I now keep track of when he last used the litterbox, and
if he hasn't gone for more than 12 hrs I will take him to the box and
put him inside, to remind him to go - which he usually does, since he
knows that he gets a treat if he uses the box.

Good luck and I hope your Bill is ok. I hope some of my experience will
be helpful to you. But I think you should definitely take Bill to the
vet asap. Even if he isn't blocked, he's probably in pain :-(

Nadia N. (and Kotyo)
http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo