PDA

View Full Version : Wow, my last litter is arriving right now

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 02:53 AM
It may be 2.41am in the UK, but Momma cat has decided that it is time
to have her kittens.

She came and called me to tell me that it was time, & got me out of
bed to come and hold one of her paw's for her.

So far we have 2little blind white mice, but I am sure that there are
a few more to come yet. She is tending to the first two kittens. But,
I could feel her still contracting, so I guess little baby 3 will
arrive fairly soon.
It is all quite exciting really, because it is my last litter, I have
to admit that it is a little bit emotional as well.

Problem is that she has her back turned towards me right now, so I can
see much, but I can hear plenty in there.One of them has a very lusty
pair of lung on it, I assure you!!
I can't predict how many she will have, but If I had to guess, it
would be 4-5 of them in total.

Right, I am off back to see how momma is doing & will update you as
she delivers them all.
I am so proud of her for being such a good mummy, yet pleased @ the
same time that she will never have to through it again as well.
someone once told me that when a cat purrs, it is not because it is
ecstatically happy- it is just a message to say that what you are
doing is OK by me...Is that true?
I just wondered?
More later on
S;o)

Pijewlchio
February 4th 07, 03:19 AM
ha haaaa

kongrats!

count'em up!

"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> It may be 2.41am in the UK, but Momma cat has decided that it is time
> to have her kittens.
>
> She came and called me to tell me that it was time, & got me out of
> bed to come and hold one of her paw's for her.
>
> So far we have 2little blind white mice, but I am sure that there are
> a few more to come yet. She is tending to the first two kittens. But,
> I could feel her still contracting, so I guess little baby 3 will
> arrive fairly soon.
> It is all quite exciting really, because it is my last litter, I have
> to admit that it is a little bit emotional as well.
>
> Problem is that she has her back turned towards me right now, so I can
> see much, but I can hear plenty in there.One of them has a very lusty
> pair of lung on it, I assure you!!
> I can't predict how many she will have, but If I had to guess, it
> would be 4-5 of them in total.
>
> Right, I am off back to see how momma is doing & will update you as
> she delivers them all.
> I am so proud of her for being such a good mummy, yet pleased @ the
> same time that she will never have to through it again as well.
> someone once told me that when a cat purrs, it is not because it is
> ecstatically happy- it is just a message to say that what you are
> doing is OK by me...Is that true?
> I just wondered?
> More later on
> S;o)

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 03:53 AM
On 4 Feb, 03:19, "Pijewlchio" > wrote:
> ha haaaa
>
> kongrats!
>
> count'em up!
>
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>

> > It may be 2.41am in the UK, but Momma cat has decided that it is time
> > to have her kittens.
>
> > She came and called me to tell me that it was time, & got me out of
> > bed to come and hold one of her paw's for her.
>
> > So far we have 2little blind white mice, but I am sure that there are
> > a few more to come yet. She is tending to the first two kittens. But,
> > I could feel her still contracting, so I guess little baby 3 will
> > arrive fairly soon.
> > It is all quite exciting really, because it is my last litter, I have
> > to admit that it is a little bit emotional as well.
>
> > Problem is that she has her back turned towards me right now, so I can
> > see much, but I can hear plenty in there.One of them has a very lusty
> > pair of lung on it, I assure you!!
> > I can't predict how many she will have, but If I had to guess, it
> > would be 4-5 of them in total.
>
> > Right, I am off back to see how momma is doing & will update you as
> > she delivers them all.
> > I am so proud of her for being such a good mummy, yet pleased @ the
> > same time that she will never have to through it again as well.
> > someone once told me that when a cat purrs, it is not because it is
> > ecstatically happy- it is just a message to say that what you are
> > doing is OK by me...Is that true?
> > I just wondered?
> > More later on
> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

thanx a bunch lol:o)
I can't help feeling delighted....
It is my last litter so I intend to enjoy them whilst theyy are in my
care. I will post a photo of mummy and her babes later after a few
hours kip (sleep!!)
Thans again P,
S;o)

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 11:19 AM
She had a grand total of four kittens in the end.
Belle is sitting with them quite happily now & feeding them all.
I haven't checked the sex's yet
(I prefer to leave mummy and kittens alone as there is no vital need
to know exactly what we have yet)...
I know that this is not every ones favourite subject, but I am just
relieved to know that she got through it OK.
S;o)
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BelleAfter4thLiter

MaryL
February 4th 07, 01:12 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> She had a grand total of four kittens in the end.
> Belle is sitting with them quite happily now & feeding them all.
> I haven't checked the sex's yet
> (I prefer to leave mummy and kittens alone as there is no vital need
> to know exactly what we have yet)...
> I know that this is not every ones favourite subject, but I am just
> relieved to know that she got through it OK.
> S;o)
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BelleAfter4thLiter

What sweet pictures. You are going out of the breeding business in grand
style.

MaryL

cindys
February 4th 07, 01:20 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> She had a grand total of four kittens in the end.
> Belle is sitting with them quite happily now & feeding them all.
> I haven't checked the sex's yet
> (I prefer to leave mummy and kittens alone as there is no vital need
> to know exactly what we have yet)...
> I know that this is not every ones favourite subject, but I am just
> relieved to know that she got through it OK.
> S;o)
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BelleAfter4thLiter

----------
They are so gorgeous! I remember how exciting it was when our foster cat
gave birth. It was 10:00 p.m. on a Friday night. We were all going to sleep
and my then-four-year-old son went to check on Amanda one last time. He
excitedly called us to tell us she was giving birth. Jumping on the
opportunity to introduce the subject of "the birds and the bees" (on a level
a four-year-old could understand), I told him this was exactly how his birth
mother had given birth to him (my children are adopted), at which point, he
opened his eyes wide and in one of those show-stopping moments asked in all
seriousness, "My mother was a cat?"

(Before anybody gets worked up, our foster cat's previous family had dropped
her off at a shelter when they realized she was pregnant, she was turned
over to our rescue group, we fostered her through the remaining two weeks of
her pregnancy - they mistakenly thought she was due any day -- and after her
kittens were weaned, she was spayed and we kept her. Her kittens were placed
in adoptive homes and spayed and neutered at the appropriate times).

Congratulations on the babies. Enjoy every second. (And good for you for
making it the last litter!)
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 01:54 PM
On 4 Feb, 13:12, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "Sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > She had a grand total of four kittens in the end.
> > Belle is sitting with them quite happily now & feeding them all.
> > I haven't checked the sex's yet
> > (I prefer to leave mummy and kittens alone as there is no vital need
> > to know exactly what we have yet)...
> > I know that this is not every ones favourite subject, but I am just
> > relieved to know that she got through it OK.
> > S;o)
> >http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BelleAfter4thLiter
>
> What sweet pictures. You are going out of the breeding business in grand
> style.
>
> MaryL

I am aren't I?
I have been watching them all pretty closely because there is a runt
in the litter (The one under mummy's front leg & paw.).
I remain optimistic because mummy is trying to keep her warm, but
having said that I notice that it isn't feeding as rest as the
dinosaurs.
I might try and wait until I am sure that it has had a sleep then try
and latch it on to mummy.
(I can say he or she because I haven't looked yet-anyway it's not
important)

Cindys, I thought that story was wonderful, it certainly made me
laugh.
Thanks to both of you!
S;o)

cindys
February 4th 07, 02:18 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Cindys, I thought that story was wonderful, it certainly made me
> laugh.
> Thanks to both of you!
> S;o)
-------
If you liked that story, you might like this one even better:

My husband had been against the idea of fostering a pregnant cat because
there were already four permanent cats in the family, but I assured him the
foster and her kittens would be kept separate from the others and as soon as
the kittens could be weaned, they would all be returned to the rescue group.
So, he reluctantly went along with the plan but not before he made me
promise, repeatedly, that I would not start asking him if we could keep any
of the kittens or the mother. I agreed.

Everyday I would remark on how wonderful Amanda was and how cute and sweet
the kittens were, etc, and every day he would remind me that, as I had
promised, as soon as the kittens could be weaned, everybody was going back
to the rescue group to be placed in adoptive families. Every day, I
reassured him that I had no plans to keep any of them. I would remind him
that saying the kittens were *cute* did not equate to saying "I want to keep
one."

Finally, the big day arrived, and I was loading mom and the kittens into the
carriers to be returned to the group. Out of the blue my husband said "Okay,
we can keep these cats, but you have to promise that we won't foster any
more cats." I looked at him and said "What do you mean *these cats*? You
want to keep the mom and all four kittens?" He said "That's right." I said
"You want to have nine cats?????" He said "Yes." I said "You've lost your
mind. We're not having nine cats..." In the end, the kittens were placed in
other adoptive homes, but of course mom stayed :-)
Best regards,
---Cindy S

MaryL
February 4th 07, 03:02 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> She had a grand total of four kittens in the end.
>> Belle is sitting with them quite happily now & feeding them all.
>> I haven't checked the sex's yet
>> (I prefer to leave mummy and kittens alone as there is no vital need
>> to know exactly what we have yet)...
>> I know that this is not every ones favourite subject, but I am just
>> relieved to know that she got through it OK.
>> S;o)
>> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BelleAfter4thLiter
>>
> ----------
> They are so gorgeous! I remember how exciting it was when our foster cat
> gave birth. It was 10:00 p.m. on a Friday night. We were all going to
> sleep and my then-four-year-old son went to check on Amanda one last time.
> He excitedly called us to tell us she was giving birth. Jumping on the
> opportunity to introduce the subject of "the birds and the bees" (on a
> level a four-year-old could understand), I told him this was exactly how
> his birth mother had given birth to him (my children are adopted), at
> which point, he opened his eyes wide and in one of those show-stopping
> moments asked in all seriousness, "My mother was a cat?"

What a funny (and adorable) story. I forwarded it to a friend who has an
adopted son. I thought he would enjoy this one. (He is a freshman in high
school, so I don't think I need to worry that he will be similarly confused!
;o) )

> (Before anybody gets worked up, our foster cat's previous family had
> dropped her off at a shelter when they realized she was pregnant, she was
> turned over to our rescue group, we fostered her through the remaining two
> weeks of her pregnancy - they mistakenly thought she was due any day --
> and after her kittens were weaned, she was spayed and we kept her. Her
> kittens were placed in adoptive homes and spayed and neutered at the
> appropriate times).
>
> Congratulations on the babies. Enjoy every second. (And good for you for
> making it the last litter!)
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 03:08 PM
On 4 Feb, 15:02, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "cindys" > wrote in message

> > "Sheelagh" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> >> She had a grand total of four kittens in the end.
> >> Belle is sitting with them quite happily now & feeding them all.
> >> I haven't checked the sex's yet
> >> (I prefer to leave mummy and kittens alone as there is no vital need
> >> to know exactly what we have yet)...
> >> I know that this is not every ones favourite subject, but I am just
> >> relieved to know that she got through it OK.
> >> S;o)
> >>http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BelleAfter4thLiter
>
> > ----------
> > They are so gorgeous! I remember how exciting it was when our foster cat
> > gave birth. It was 10:00 p.m. on a Friday night. We were all going to
> > sleep and my then-four-year-old son went to check on Amanda one last time.
> > He excitedly called us to tell us she was giving birth. Jumping on the
> > opportunity to introduce the subject of "the birds and the bees" (on a
> > level a four-year-old could understand), I told him this was exactly how
> > his birth mother had given birth to him (my children are adopted), at
> > which point, he opened his eyes wide and in one of those show-stopping
> > moments asked in all seriousness, "My mother was a cat?"
>
> What a funny (and adorable) story. I forwarded it to a friend who has an
> adopted son. I thought he would enjoy this one. (He is a freshman in high
> school, so I don't think I need to worry that he will be similarly confused!
> ;o) )
>

> > (Before anybody gets worked up, our foster cat's previous family had
> > dropped her off at a shelter when they realized she was pregnant, she was
> > turned over to our rescue group, we fostered her through the remaining two
> > weeks of her pregnancy - they mistakenly thought she was due any day --
> > and after her kittens were weaned, she was spayed and we kept her. Her
> > kittens were placed in adoptive homes and spayed and neutered at the
> > appropriate times).
>
> > Congratulations on the babies. Enjoy every second. (And good for you for
> > making it the last litter!)
> > Best regards,
> > ---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -

It was ever so good wasn't it?

I think that children who are so innocent come out with the best of
quotes don't they?
I am sure it will have made your friends son laugh too.
My troop all just read it as well and thought it was hilarious!!
Nice one Cindys
S;o)

Wendy
February 4th 07, 03:39 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> She had a grand total of four kittens in the end.
> Belle is sitting with them quite happily now & feeding them all.
> I haven't checked the sex's yet
> (I prefer to leave mummy and kittens alone as there is no vital need
> to know exactly what we have yet)...
> I know that this is not every ones favourite subject, but I am just
> relieved to know that she got through it OK.
> S;o)
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BelleAfter4thLiter

Congratulations. Four is usually pretty easy for mom to handle particularly
as this momma has had good nutrition during her pregnancy.

If you ever miss the babies you can always foster pregnant moms for a local
rescue group. You certainly have the experience for it.

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 03:49 PM
On 4 Feb, 14:18, "cindys" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > Cindys, I thought that story was wonderful, it certainly made me
> > laugh.
> > Thanks to both of you!
> > S;o)
>
> -------
> If you liked that story, you might like this one even better:
>
> My husband had been against the idea of fostering a pregnant cat because
> there were already four permanent cats in the family, but I assured him the
> foster and her kittens would be kept separate from the others and as soon as
> the kittens could be weaned, they would all be returned to the rescue group.
> So, he reluctantly went along with the plan but not before he made me
> promise, repeatedly, that I would not start asking him if we could keep any
> of the kittens or the mother. I agreed.
>
> Everyday I would remark on how wonderful Amanda was and how cute and sweet
> the kittens were, etc, and every day he would remind me that, as I had
> promised, as soon as the kittens could be weaned, everybody was going back
> to the rescue group to be placed in adoptive families. Every day, I
> reassured him that I had no plans to keep any of them. I would remind him
> that saying the kittens were *cute* did not equate to saying "I want to keep
> one."
>
> Finally, the big day arrived, and I was loading mom and the kittens into the
> carriers to be returned to the group. Out of the blue my husband said "Okay,
> we can keep these cats, but you have to promise that we won't foster any
> more cats." I looked at him and said "What do you mean *these cats*? You
> want to keep the mom and all four kittens?" He said "That's right." I said
> "You want to have nine cats?????" He said "Yes." I said "You've lost your
> mind. We're not having nine cats..." In the end, the kittens were placed in
> other adoptive homes, but of course mom stayed :-)
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S

It is a wonderful story & an excellent method too, lol!!
I will have to try that one out this time on Paul with regard to the
kittens we have just had.

I know that it is a tried and tested method, because in the last
litter, there were two little hand rear kittens that had to be fed
2hourly to start with.

with 5 kittens, I am sure that you can appreciate that I simply
couldn't manage all of it on my own.Paul offered to help out &
sometimes the children would too.
In the end, sadly we lost one of them @ six weeks old, but the other
one was a little scrawny fluff bomb, who used to climb up his trouser
leg & simply sit on the end of his knee.
When the day came for his new parents to come & pick her up with her
elder sister, Paul had to go out in the end, because he couldn't bare
to watch her go.
She did go to her new home of course, because once promised, we
couldn't keep her, that would have been wrong of us to do that,( they
had 5little boys too!!)

I guess the moral of this story is that even guys have feelings
too;sometimes their feelings are even stronger than our maternal one's
aren't they?

It will be interesting to see which one he bonds with this time,
because he always does bond with at least one of them...
Thank you for sharing that story with us, it was wonderful also...
S;o)

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/PoppyGigan/photo#s5027704687219374226

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 04:03 PM
On 4 Feb, 15:39, "Wendy" > wrote:
> "Sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > She had a grand total of four kittens in the end.
> > Belle is sitting with them quite happily now & feeding them all.
> > I haven't checked the sex's yet
> > (I prefer to leave mummy and kittens alone as there is no vital need
> > to know exactly what we have yet)...
> > I know that this is not every ones favourite subject, but I am just
> > relieved to know that she got through it OK.
> > S;o)
> >http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BelleAfter4thLiter
>
> Congratulations. Four is usually pretty easy for mom to handle particularly
> as this momma has had good nutrition during her pregnancy.
>
> If you ever miss the babies you can always foster pregnant moms for a local
> rescue group. You certainly have the experience for it.

I would love to do that actually.
I was thinking of contacting the local Cat Protection League, to ask
if I can help out in that way.
I already do a bit of work for them handing out fliers and doing home
visits too.
Perhaps I should mention that I am available to take care of a few
mums for them if they need me to.

I take local mothers/ pregnant mothers and litters in, & then home
them with people that I believe will care for them in a manner that I
would like them to.

I also make all of the sign agreements to have their cats fixed once
they reach 6months old too.
I even check up on them to make sure that they did keep their end of
the bargain up.
I have "never " had one that hasn't so far either( touch wood!!)

I sometimes wonder if I take it a bit too far..but then other times I
think, No...it is the least that the cat deserves.
I am already known as the eccentric cat woman, so doing a bit more is
hardly going to ruin my reputation, lol, is it?
I know that I am going to miss it a little bit, so I might as well do
it for a decent cause
S;o)

Lynne
February 4th 07, 06:02 PM
on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 14:18:41 GMT, "cindys" >
wrote:

> If you liked that story, you might like this one even better:

That's a wonderful story!!

--
Lynne

Lynne
February 4th 07, 06:04 PM
on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 13:20:42 GMT, "cindys" >
wrote:

> I told him this was exactly how his birth
> mother had given birth to him (my children are adopted), at which
> point, he opened his eyes wide and in one of those show-stopping
> moments asked in all seriousness, "My mother was a cat?"

HAHA! That's GREAT!!

--
Lynne

Lynne
February 4th 07, 06:05 PM
on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 16:03:04 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> I am already known as the eccentric cat woman, so doing a bit more is
> hardly going to ruin my reputation, lol, is it?

I think you are a lovely person, Sheelagh. ENJOY those beautiful kittens!

--
Lynne

cybercat
February 4th 07, 06:41 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 16:03:04 GMT, "sheelagh"
> > wrote:
>
>> I am already known as the eccentric cat woman, so doing a bit more is
>> hardly going to ruin my reputation, lol, is it?
>
> I think you are a lovely person, Sheelagh. ENJOY those beautiful kittens!
>
> --

Eccentric cat women RAWK.

lol

Lynne
February 4th 07, 06:47 PM
on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:41:11 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Eccentric cat women RAWK.
>
> lol

hells yeah!

--
Lynne

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 06:58 PM
On 4 Feb, 18:41, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Lynne" > wrote in message
>
> m...
>
> > on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 16:03:04 GMT, "sheelagh"
> > > wrote:
>
> >> I am already known as the eccentric cat woman, so doing a bit more is
> >> hardly going to ruin my reputation, lol, is it?
>
> > I think you are a lovely person, Sheelagh. ENJOY those beautiful kittens!
>
> > --
>
> Eccentric cat women RAWK.
>
> lol

ROFLOL,

Very true....
I'm well past worrying what other people think...
Thanks Lynne & cyber too
( Those itty bitty kittens are all snuggled up to Mummy & they are
only just big enough to fit into the palm of my hand...
Aaawwww BLISS..)
S;o)
>"o"<
Pukka story from Cindys ,heh?

bookie
February 5th 07, 12:51 AM
On 4 Feb, 11:19, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> She had a grand total of four kittens in the end.
> Belle is sitting with them quite happily now & feeding them all.
> I haven't checked the sex's yet
> (I prefer to leave mummy and kittens alone as there is no vital need
> to know exactly what we have yet)...
> I know that this is not every ones favourite subject, but I am just
> relieved to know that she got through it OK.
> S;o)http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BelleAfter4thLiter

I want one!!!! don't think jessie would be so keen though, not sure
she would enjoy sharing her slave with some little ball of fluff.

will they all take on the colouring of their mum? blue point isn't
she? I hope the little runt gets nice and fat and survives, nice to
know that mum is taking care of him too.

congratulations, bookie

Rhonda
February 5th 07, 07:19 AM
Awww, they are adorable. I love it when their ears are on either side of
their head.

Hope the runt starts eating soon. I know the first 24 hours is important.

Take care,

Rhonda