PDA

View Full Version : Stomatitis + Azithromycin - Phil?

February 4th 07, 04:35 PM
Phil,
regarding my foster cat with stomatitis, I am going to start him on
zithro next week as he is really not doing well (guess the interferon
was a waste of money, but it was worth a try). I remember when I
treated my own cat a few years ago, the vet compounded and liquified
the medication and I administered it every day for three weeks. My vet
here is recommending a day 1, 3 and then every fifth day treatment for
a total of three weeks, but she has never treated stomatitis with
zithro, just URIs. Any opinion?
Petra

Phil P.
February 5th 07, 08:48 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Phil,
> regarding my foster cat with stomatitis, I am going to start him on
> zithro next week as he is really not doing well (guess the interferon
> was a waste of money, but it was worth a try). I remember when I
> treated my own cat a few years ago, the vet compounded and liquified
> the medication and I administered it every day for three weeks. My vet
> here is recommending a day 1, 3 and then every fifth day treatment for
> a total of three weeks, but she has never treated stomatitis with
> zithro, just URIs. Any opinion?
> Petra

Petra,

I've used zithro pediatric suspension for URIs but never for
stomatitis/faucitis. I've had some luck with clindamycin or metronidazole
and a steroid- usually Depo-Medrol . The antibiotic and steroid will work
much better if you scale and polish the teeth first to get rid of as much
plaque as possible. The inflammation is often a reaction to plaque bacteria.

As far as zithro- it takes a long time to clear in cats. A single dose can
remain in their tissues for a week at therapeutic levels.

Phil

Linda Boucher
February 9th 07, 01:54 AM
Hi Phil
maybe you could join this group they could help you with your cat,

Linda