PDA

View Full Version : Curious new behavior

Lynne
February 4th 07, 06:33 PM
Levi has a somewhat odd (to me) new behavior. He's digging. Everywhere!
He's not using his claws, just digging away. It's cute, but I'm wondering
what is motivating him. He does it on the bed, on the carpet, on the glass
door, and maybe other places. This started happening just before he was
neutered. He's not urinating or defacating in these places, but his
digging sure reminds me of his litter box antics.

Is this just a normal cat behavior none of my cats has exhibited before?

--
Lynne

cybercat
February 4th 07, 06:39 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> Levi has a somewhat odd (to me) new behavior. He's digging. Everywhere!
> He's not using his claws, just digging away. It's cute, but I'm wondering
> what is motivating him. He does it on the bed, on the carpet, on the
> glass
> door, and maybe other places. This started happening just before he was
> neutered. He's not urinating or defacating in these places, but his
> digging sure reminds me of his litter box antics.
>
> Is this just a normal cat behavior none of my cats has exhibited before?

It is normal, but weird nonetheless. The cat I had for 20 years did this,
fast and furious, on smooth things, windows and magazines.

cybercat
February 4th 07, 06:39 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> Levi has a somewhat odd (to me) new behavior. He's digging. Everywhere!
> He's not using his claws, just digging away. It's cute, but I'm wondering
> what is motivating him. He does it on the bed, on the carpet, on the
> glass
> door, and maybe other places. This started happening just before he was
> neutered. He's not urinating or defacating in these places, but his
> digging sure reminds me of his litter box antics.
>
> Is this just a normal cat behavior none of my cats has exhibited before?

*looking at you*

It might be time to take the boy off the lip, Lynne.

Lynne
February 4th 07, 06:46 PM
on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:39:15 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> It is normal, but weird nonetheless. The cat I had for 20 years did this,
> fast and furious, on smooth things, windows and magazines.

It is weird, but it's also pretty cute! Of course Levi could bite off my
toe and I'd still think he was cute, hehe.

--
Lynne

Lynne
February 4th 07, 06:47 PM
on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:39:44 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> *looking at you*
>
> It might be time to take the boy off the lip, Lynne.

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Lynne

sheelagh
February 4th 07, 07:04 PM
On 4 Feb, 18:47, Lynne > wrote:
> on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:39:44 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > *looking at you*
>
> > It might be time to take the boy off the lip, Lynne.
>
> NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> --
> Lynne

LOoooooooooooooLLLLlllllllllll >"o"<
I can identify with that one
Your Baby is your Babe isn't he?
S;o)

bluemaxx
February 4th 07, 07:32 PM
Hi, Lynne. :) Cats have scent glands on their front paws, so I imagine
he's marking his territory.

I have had many cats that do/did this. Maxx (RB-2004) would do it on the
couch cushions next to me, yet never extended his claws. He'd look at me
while he was doing it, like "See what I can do without tearing the furniture
to bits?" :) But all my cats have done it on glass windows and patio
doors. I think they just like to keep me busy with the Windex. lol

hugs,
Linda
Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx
Cat Surgery Fund eBay auctions: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtwolegs

:
: Is this just a normal cat behavior none of my cats has exhibited before?
:
: --
: Lynne

Buddy's Mom
February 4th 07, 07:34 PM
I have had many cats who did this - it is normal.

On Feb 4, 1:33�pm, Lynne > wrote:
> Levi has a somewhat odd (to me) new behavior. *He's digging. *Everywhere! *
> He's not using his claws, just digging away. *It's cute, but I'm wondering
> what is motivating him. *He does it on the bed, on the carpet, on the glass
> door, and maybe other places. *This started happening just before he was
> neutered. *He's not urinating or defacating in these places, but his
> digging sure reminds me of his litter box antics.
>
> Is this just a normal cat behavior none of my cats has exhibited before?
>
> --
> Lynne

Richard Evans
February 4th 07, 07:41 PM
Lynne > wrote:

>Levi has a somewhat odd (to me) new behavior. He's digging. Everywhere!
>He's not using his claws, just digging away. It's cute, but I'm wondering
>what is motivating him. He does it on the bed, on the carpet, on the glass
>door, and maybe other places. This started happening just before he was
>neutered. He's not urinating or defacating in these places, but his
>digging sure reminds me of his litter box antics.
>
>Is this just a normal cat behavior none of my cats has exhibited before?

FWIW, I have one that does the same, even insofar as climbing on my
chest and trying to dig a hole through it. No claws, just frantic
digging motions. He has this intent look on his face, like he's
following important orders from the cat mother ship.

Lynne
February 4th 07, 08:55 PM
on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 19:32:12 GMT, "bluemaxx" >
wrote:

> Cats have scent glands on their front paws, so I imagine
> he's marking his territory.

This makes me happy. It's odd none of my others have done this, but Levi
is apparently laying claim to everything here! :)

--
Lynne

Lynne
February 4th 07, 08:56 PM
on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 19:41:51 GMT, Richard Evans >
wrote:

> FWIW, I have one that does the same, even insofar as climbing on my
> chest and trying to dig a hole through it. No claws, just frantic
> digging motions. He has this intent look on his face, like he's
> following important orders from the cat mother ship.

That is too cute!

--
Lynne

bookie
February 5th 07, 12:17 AM
On 4 Feb, 20:56, Lynne > wrote:
> on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 19:41:51 GMT, Richard Evans >
> wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I have one that does the same, even insofar as climbing on my
> > chest and trying to dig a hole through it. No claws, just frantic
> > digging motions. He has this intent look on his face, like he's
> > following important orders from the cat mother ship.
>
> That is too cute!
>
> --
> Lynne

I am now worried cos none of my cats has ever done this, jessie does
not display any weird or bizarre behaviour whatsoever (probably too
busy sleeping), I am starting to wonder why. She is a very dull cat
really.

bookie

mlbriggs
February 5th 07, 01:18 AM
On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 16:17:50 -0800, bookie wrote:

> On 4 Feb, 20:56, Lynne > wrote:
>> on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 19:41:51 GMT, Richard Evans >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > FWIW, I have one that does the same, even insofar as climbing on my
>> > chest and trying to dig a hole through it. No claws, just frantic
>> > digging motions. He has this intent look on his face, like he's
>> > following important orders from the cat mother ship.
>>
>> That is too cute!
>>
>> --
>> Lynne
>
> I am now worried cos none of my cats has ever done this, jessie does
> not display any weird or bizarre behaviour whatsoever (probably too
> busy sleeping), I am starting to wonder why. She is a very dull cat
> really.
>
> bookie

How old is she????? MLB

bookie
February 5th 07, 04:46 PM
On 5 Feb, 01:18, mlbriggs > wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 16:17:50 -0800, bookie wrote:
> > On 4 Feb, 20:56, Lynne > wrote:
> >> on Sun, 04 Feb 2007 19:41:51 GMT, Richard Evans >

> >> That is too cute!
>
> >> --
> >> Lynne
>
> > I am now worried cos none of my cats has ever done this, jessie does
> > not display any weird or bizarre behaviour whatsoever (probably too
> > busy sleeping), I am starting to wonder why. She is a very dull cat
> > really.
>
> > bookie
>
> How old is she????? MLB- Hide quoted text -

about 16 years old now, although I have only had her for the last 18
months so maybe she did all her bizarre behaviour with her previous
mum and got it out of her system.
she does have a talent for lying on her back with her back legs spread
apart , front legs curled over, right in the middle of the floor,
exposing the softest white tummy in the world for every to see. freaks
some people out when they first see her do it, but it is very cute and
she is totally shameless, wish i coud post up a picture of her doing
it

bookie

mlbriggs
February 5th 07, 06:44 PM
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:46:03 -0800, bookie wrote:

> On 5 Feb, 01:18, mlbriggs > wrote:

>> > I am now worried cos none of my cats has ever done this, jessie does
>> > not display any weird or bizarre behaviour whatsoever (probably too
>> > busy sleeping), I am starting to wonder why. She is a very dull cat
>> > really.
>>
>> > bookie
>>
>> How old is she????? MLB- Hide quoted text -
>>
> about 16 years old now, although I have only had her for the last 18
> months so maybe she did all her bizarre behaviour with her previous
> mum and got it out of her system.
> she does have a talent for lying on her back with her back legs spread
> apart , front legs curled over, right in the middle of the floor,
> exposing the softest white tummy in the world for every to see. freaks
> some people out when they first see her do it, but it is very cute and
> she is totally shameless, wish i coud post up a picture of her doing
> it
>
> bookie

She is showing how much she trusts you. TuTu does this but usually in my
lap so I can comb or pet that lovely tummy. MLB

Persian
February 5th 07, 06:55 PM
It may seem to be cute; However, It actually means your cat is looking
for a place to urinate. We have a mail Persian cat and he's done the
same for a while and after couple of months he's started going around
the house.

I would suggest changing the location of a litter box. Also, you may
try to clean the litter box more often. Cats don't like water or
anything sticky and they are looking for a dry place.

Alex
www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Lynne
February 5th 07, 07:28 PM
on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:55:51 GMT, "Persian" > wrote:

> I would suggest changing the location of a litter box. Also, you may
> try to clean the litter box more often. Cats don't like water or
> anything sticky and they are looking for a dry place.

My litter boxes are immaculate, so I know that is not an issue.

I'm inclined to believe everyone who says that this is a normal cat
behavior. If he were to start urinating outside of his litter boxes, I
would immediately suspect a UTI and take him to the vet. Did you have your
boy checked out? If not, you should.

--
Lynne

bookie
February 5th 07, 08:05 PM
On 5 Feb, 18:44, mlbriggs > wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 08:46:03 -0800, bookie wrote:

> >> How old is she????? MLB- Hide quoted text -
>
> > about 16 years old now, although I have only had her for the last 18
> > months so maybe she did all her bizarre behaviour with her previous
> > mum and got it out of her system.
> > she does have a talent for lying on her back with her back legs spread
> > apart , front legs curled over, right in the middle of the floor,
> > exposing the softest white tummy in the world for every to see. freaks
> > some people out when they first see her do it, but it is very cute and
> > she is totally shameless, wish i coud post up a picture of her doing
> > it
>
> > bookie
>
> She is showing how much she trusts you. TuTu does this but usually in my
> lap so I can comb or pet that lovely tummy. MLB- Hide quoted text -

nice to know, she certainly has a very safe environment here where she
has the run of the house and has 3 humans slaves wrapped around her
little furry paw. She certainly isn't keen on being combed on her back
or her tummy, but she does love it if you stroke her tummy when it is
exposed like that and give her a few kisses on it. In fact she usually
stretches out some more and gives you the most filthy look when you
get bored of it and decide to stop!

it's a real "did i give you permission to stop adoring me? no! so get
back to it now!"
wonderful

bookie

Buddy's Mom
February 5th 07, 09:03 PM
On Feb 5, 2:28�pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:55:51 GMT, "Persian" > wrote:

Lynne - you are correct. I have had cats who did this all of their
life and never peed outside of the litter box. We used to say they
were dusting off their slicks or wiping their feet [only the front
ones!]

> > I would suggest changing the location of a litter box. *Also, you may
> > try to clean the litter box more often. *Cats don't like water or
> > anything sticky and they are looking for a dry place.
>
> My litter boxes are immaculate, so I know that is not an issue.
>
> I'm inclined to believe everyone who says that this is a normal cat
> behavior. *If he were to start urinating outside of his litter boxes, I
> would immediately suspect a UTI and take him to the vet. *Did you have your
> boy checked out? *If not, you should.
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne
February 5th 07, 10:13 PM
on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:03:29 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> We used to say they
> were dusting off their slicks

I love cats! They never cease to fascinate and delight me!!

--
Lynne