PDA

View Full Version : It's only cold if you don't wear fur.


James
February 5th 07, 10:51 AM
As I go out to water the rabbits my cat jumps out from a cozy 60F to a
cold 10F. It's still dark but she followed me to the door and zips
out when I went out.

The water bowls are about half full with solid ice. Had to crack the
ice to empty the bowls. The rabbits are active and happy to get more
water. 20 minutes later I refilled. If they don't drink enough
before the water freeze they'll have to wait a couple hours till I
refill again.

Cat came back in for a light breakfast. She might go back to bed with
me for a few hours.

kraut
February 5th 07, 01:54 PM
>As I go out to water the rabbits my cat jumps out from a cozy 60F to a
>cold 10F. It's still dark but she followed me to the door and zips
>out when I went out.
>
>The water bowls are about half full with solid ice. Had to crack the
>ice to empty the bowls. The rabbits are active and happy to get more
>water. 20 minutes later I refilled. If they don't drink enough
>before the water freeze they'll have to wait a couple hours till I
>refill again.
>
>Cat came back in for a light breakfast. She might go back to bed with
>me for a few hours.


Yeah it is -1 degree temp and -21 windchill at 9 AM here in Michigan
and it is COLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!

I have one stray yet that I am feeding here and I have to go feed it
yet. I keep dry food out for it all the time but I try to make it
over to give canned at least once a day during winter so it gets it's
moisture where I can not leave water out for it.

Lynne
February 5th 07, 02:10 PM
on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:54:13 GMT, kraut
> wrote:

> Yeah it is -1 degree temp and -21 windchill at 9 AM here in Michigan
> and it is COLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!
>
> I have one stray yet that I am feeding here and I have to go feed it
> yet. I keep dry food out for it all the time but I try to make it
> over to give canned at least once a day during winter so it gets it's
> moisture where I can not leave water out for it.

I got a heated water bowl from the local feed store that works great, even
in these frigid temps. It uses very little electricity and has a
protective coil around the power cord so animals can't chew on it. Maybe
you could invest in one of these?

--
Lynne

Arlette & Cocoa
February 5th 07, 04:40 PM
EEEWWWWwwwwwwwww 5 am!! Yuck! I avoid being awake in any number that end in
AM LOL!!
That's great of you to get them water at that time!

It's 11:38am (I've been up for half an hour, I slept through my alarm) here
and it's -38 with the wind chill. I'm glad I have no outdoor bunnies to
water!

--
God Bless,
Arlette, Cocoa & Brownie in heaven (See us here)
http://photos.yahoo.com/cocoa3c
Need a vet? Click here
<http://www.rabbitvet.net>
For Cocoa's body sling vids Click here
<http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=cocoa3c>

sheelagh
February 5th 07, 11:51 PM
On 5 Feb, 14:10, Lynne > wrote:
> on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:54:13 GMT, kraut
>
> > wrote:
> > Yeah it is -1 degree temp and -21 windchill at 9 AM here in Michigan
> > and it is COLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!
>
> > I have one stray yet that I am feeding here and I have to go feed it
> > yet. I keep dry food out for it all the time but I try to make it
> > over to give canned at least once a day during winter so it gets it's
> > moisture where I can not leave water out for it.
>
> I got a heated water bowl from the local feed store that works great, even
> in these frigid temps. It uses very little electricity and has a
> protective coil around the power cord so animals can't chew on it. Maybe
> you could invest in one of these?
>
> --
> Lynne

Brilliant idea!!
We are due a really frigid snap of cold weather in the later end of
the week, & I was thinking similar thoughts. Unfortunately, I couldn't
find anything like that available over here.

Could you possibly send me a link if you know of one, where I might be
able to purchase one Lynne?
Many thanks,
S;o)

Lynne
February 6th 07, 12:59 AM
on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 23:51:07 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> Could you possibly send me a link if you know of one, where I might be
> able to purchase one Lynne?

I couldn't find any for sale in the UK either. Weird.

I thought I did on ebay (UK), but it turns out it is shipping from the US.
Here is the link but the shipping costs seem high:
http://tinyurl.com/3cgots

Here's a larger one:
http://tinyurl.com/32pq7h

If you know of on-line retailers in the US with reasonable shipping to the
UK, I'd search those for "heated pet bowl" or "heated water bowl" (or use
the word dish) and see what comes up.

They really do work. Although my dog is never outside except to eliminate
when it's that cold, so it's silly that I have it. She does drink out of
it since it's there, though. If I was caring for ferals, this would be a
great thing to have for them.

--
Lynne

Maverick
February 6th 07, 01:00 AM
On Feb 5, 8:54 am, kraut >
wrote:

> I have one stray yet that I am feeding here and I have to go feed it
> yet. I keep dry food out for it all the time but I try to make it
> over to give canned at least once a day during winter so it gets it's
> moisture where I can not leave water out for it.

-21 windchill? uh.. you're going to have a cat-pop in the morning.

Can you bring her in?

I hope you are able to bring her in

"someone saved my life tonight?"

Maverick
February 6th 07, 01:04 AM
On Feb 5, 5:51 am, "James" > wrote:

> The water bowls are about half full with solid ice. Had to crack the
> ice to empty the bowls. The rabbits are active and happy to get more
> water. 20 minutes later I refilled. If they don't drink enough
> before the water freeze they'll have to wait a couple hours till I
> refill again.

LOL, 60 is freezing to me, Im a lizard, I like it smoldering, that way
I can walk around naked.

you're probably walking around with a parka on, haha

I think if you could keep the wind off of their water, it may not
freeze as fast.
Can you shroud the whole cage with plastic or something.. a blanket?

put some bricks on the edges, anything handy you know. (we talking
bout the rabbits right)

James
February 6th 07, 01:29 AM
On Feb 5, 8:04 pm, "Maverick" > wrote:
> On Feb 5, 5:51 am, "James" > wrote:
>
> > The water bowls are about half full with solid ice. Had to crack the
> > ice to empty the bowls. The rabbits are active and happy to get more
> > water. 20 minutes later I refilled. If they don't drink enough
> > before the water freeze they'll have to wait a couple hours till I
> > refill again.
>
> LOL, 60 is freezing to me, Im a lizard, I like it smoldering, that way
> I can walk around naked.
>
> you're probably walking around with a parka on, haha
>
> I think if you could keep the wind off of their water, it may not
> freeze as fast.
> Can you shroud the whole cage with plastic or something.. a blanket?
>
> put some bricks on the edges, anything handy you know. (we talking
> bout the rabbits right)

My rabbits don't spend much time in the cage. They only go there
because the food dish is there. They run free in my back yard. If I
don't see them I assume they are in one of the many holes they've dug
in the ground.

Claude V. Lucas
February 6th 07, 02:00 AM
In article >,
Lynne > wrote:
>on Mon, 05 Feb 2007 23:51:07 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:
>
>> Could you possibly send me a link if you know of one, where I might be
>> able to purchase one Lynne?
>
>I couldn't find any for sale in the UK either. Weird.
>
>I thought I did on ebay (UK), but it turns out it is shipping from the US.
>Here is the link but the shipping costs seem high:
>http://tinyurl.com/3cgots
>
>Here's a larger one:
>http://tinyurl.com/32pq7h
>
>If you know of on-line retailers in the US with reasonable shipping to the
>UK, I'd search those for "heated pet bowl" or "heated water bowl" (or use
>the word dish) and see what comes up.
>
>They really do work. Although my dog is never outside except to eliminate
>when it's that cold, so it's silly that I have it. She does drink out of
>it since it's there, though. If I was caring for ferals, this would be a
>great thing to have for them.
>

If you plan on buying one in North America and shipping it to Europe
make sure that the voltage is compatible before you waste your Euros.

Check a local farm supply store if you can find one...

Lynne
February 6th 07, 02:05 AM
on Tue, 06 Feb 2007 02:00:58 GMT, (Claude V. Lucas)
wrote:

> If you plan on buying one in North America and shipping it to Europe
> make sure that the voltage is compatible before you waste your Euros.

oh, jeez--EXCELLENT POINT!! Farm supply is a great idea.

--
Lynne

Claude V. Lucas
February 6th 07, 03:37 AM
In article >,
Lynne > wrote:
>on Tue, 06 Feb 2007 02:00:58 GMT, (Claude V. Lucas)
>wrote:
>
>> If you plan on buying one in North America and shipping it to Europe
>> make sure that the voltage is compatible before you waste your Euros.
>
>oh, jeez--EXCELLENT POINT!! Farm supply is a great idea.
>

220 volts into a 110 volt water dish might warm it up a bit too much.

:^)

Pijewlchio
February 6th 07, 03:51 AM
"James" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> My rabbits don't spend much time in the cage. They only go there
> because the food dish is there. They run free in my back yard. If I
> don't see them I assume they are in one of the many holes they've dug
> in the ground.

aw, sounds like great fun.

maybe you could run a garden hose into a shallow bucket and leave the flow
on a heavy drip.

kraut
February 6th 07, 07:58 PM
>
>> I have one stray yet that I am feeding here and I have to go feed it
>> yet. I keep dry food out for it all the time but I try to make it
>> over to give canned at least once a day during winter so it gets it's
>> moisture where I can not leave water out for it.
>
>-21 windchill? uh.. you're going to have a cat-pop in the morning.
>
>Can you bring her in?
>
>I hope you are able to bring her in

I would love to bring it in but this one is feral and will have
nothing to do with me after feeding it for almost 2 years. It knows
me but wants nothing to do with me other then eat the food I leave it.
It has acces to a garage and can get under a house also so it can get
out of the direct cold. All the other strays there I caught and
rehomed or the Humane Society took them in but this last one is no go
so I just try to made sure it is fed.

I would like to do more but do not live in the area. I used to but
have since moved but try to make a daily trip there to check on it and
feed it and have been for a while now. I can not use live trap
because the area of town it is in they take anything left out and the
people that live there where the cat is are not cat people. I am just
happy that they let it stay in their yard without killing it!!

Send prayers and purrs that it will make it through the winter.

My furbabies:

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/