PDA

View Full Version : Cat Thyroid

Jenta
February 5th 07, 04:39 PM
Hello, i am new to this group. I have a 13 year old cat that is a
short haired tabby. Recently, he has been diganoised with thyroid
problem. Since I am unavailable to pay the cost of testing and vet
visits, the vet gave me a medication that was too high for him because
he keeps pucking it up. I tried to cut it in half and he still pucks
quit a bit. He is getting skinny everyday and he goes to hide when he
puckes. Does anyone know if this is normal? I realy dont know what to
do. Should I put him down or see what happens?
Please Help
Jenna

Rene S.
February 5th 07, 05:07 PM
On Feb 5, 10:39 am, "Jenta" > wrote:
> Hello, i am new to this group. I have a 13 year old cat that is a
> short haired tabby. Recently, he has been diganoised with thyroid
> problem. Since I am unavailable to pay the cost of testing and vet
> visits, the vet gave me a medication that was too high for him because
> he keeps pucking it up. I tried to cut it in half and he still pucks
> quit a bit. He is getting skinny everyday and he goes to hide when he
> puckes. Does anyone know if this is normal? I realy dont know what to
> do. Should I put him down or see what happens?
> Please Help
> Jenna

No, this is not normal. I'm not sure why a vet would give you a
thryoid medication without knowing the results of a blood (thyroid)
test. He needs to test the values of the blood and give a dosage based
on the results. If your kitty is vomiting the pill, there's a cream
available. You can rub in in his ear. The medication is not expensive,
even the cream version. Can you ask your vet about making payments? Or
is there a low-cost animal shelter near you who could do the
bloodwork?

Your kitty can live many years with proper medication. If not given
the medication, he will simply waste away.

Rene

Jenta
February 6th 07, 01:48 AM
On Feb 5, 11:07 am, "Rene S." > wrote:
> On Feb 5, 10:39 am, "Jenta" > wrote:
>
> > Hello, i am new to this group. I have a 13 year old cat that is a
> > short haired tabby. Recently, he has been diganoised with thyroid
> > problem. Since I am unavailable to pay the cost of testing and vet
> > visits, the vet gave me a medication that was too high for him because
> > he keeps pucking it up. I tried to cut it in half and he still pucks
> > quit a bit. He is getting skinny everyday and he goes to hide when he
> > puckes. Does anyone know if this is normal? I realy dont know what to
> > do. Should I put him down or see what happens?
> > Please Help
> > Jenna
>
> No, this is not normal. I'm not sure why a vet would give you a
> thryoid medication without knowing the results of a blood (thyroid)
> test. He needs to test the values of the blood and give a dosage based
> on the results. If your kitty is vomiting the pill, there's a cream
> available. You can rub in in his ear. The medication is not expensive,
> even the cream version. Can you ask your vet about making payments? Or
> is there a low-cost animal shelter near you who could do the
> bloodwork?
>
> Your kitty can live many years with proper medication. If not given
> the medication, he will simply waste away.
>
> Rene

Rene:
I wish I would of checked this message sooner. I put my cat down today
because I felt like I couldn't keep up with the cost and he would run
when he would puck not to mention he would stay in one spot all day.
He wouldn't come by me. He would sit underneath a table all curled up.
This has been one of the hardest days of my life. This is my first pet
that I had to put down. I washed the vet put him down. I hope my kitty
isn't mad at me. I hope I did the right thing.
Jenna

Rene S.
February 6th 07, 05:21 PM
> I wish I would of checked this message sooner. I put my cat down today
> because I felt like I couldn't keep up with the cost and he would run
> when he would puck not to mention he would stay in one spot all day.
> He wouldn't come by me. He would sit underneath a table all curled up.
> This has been one of the hardest days of my life. This is my first pet
> that I had to put down. I washed the vet put him down. I hope my kitty
> isn't mad at me. I hope I did the right thing.
> Jenna

Jenna, I am sorry for your loss. Please do not beat yourself up over
your decision. You did what you thought was the right thing. Since he
was acting lethargic and anti social, it's possible he had other
health problems you didn't know about. Hugs to you.

Rene