PDA

View Full Version : Do cats see everything in black and white?

Persian
February 5th 07, 06:31 PM
Do cats see everything in black and white?

This is what I read: Tests have shown that cats differentiate between
green, blue and yellow, but do not recognize red. In normal life,
color appears meaningless to cats. Is that true?

Alex
www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Rhonda
February 6th 07, 02:12 AM
I watched a cat documentary years ago, and it said they see red and
green as black and white. It did say they can see some blues and yellows.

Their eyes are set up to detect motion and colors aren't that important
for them.

Rhonda

Persian wrote:
> Do cats see everything in black and white?
>
> This is what I read: Tests have shown that cats differentiate between
> green, blue and yellow, but do not recognize red. In normal life,
> color appears meaningless to cats. Is that true?
>
> Alex
> www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Pijewlchio
February 6th 07, 02:35 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> I watched a cat documentary years ago, and it said they see red ...

Maybe so they can "see" blood?

but.. how would God make a creature so perfect and not give them High
Definition video Rhonda

I bet they see in full color

Rhonda
February 6th 07, 05:47 AM
Pijewlchio wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>I watched a cat documentary years ago, and it said they see red ...
>

> Maybe so they can "see" blood?
>
> but.. how would God make a creature so perfect and not give them High
> Definition video Rhonda
>
> I bet they see ...

Of course they see. They see lots of things.

February 6th 07, 12:20 PM
On Feb 5, 10:31 am, "Persian" > wrote:
> Do cats see everything in black and white?
>
> This is what I read: Tests have shown that cats differentiate between
> green, blue and yellow, but do not recognize red. In normal life,
> color appears meaningless to cats. Is that true?

When I was in junior high, we noticed that my cat really liked to sit
on my mom's lap when she was wearing a pink robe, but did not sit on
my lap sp much. My robe was green. For christmas, I got a pink robe,
and my cat immediately spent a lot more time on my lap.

A couple years later, I asked my biology teacher about it, and he
believed that they see some shades, maybe not as much variety as we
do. But that maybe some colors stand out bit more and seem more
attractive.

Pijewlchio
February 6th 07, 01:59 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> A couple years later, I asked my biology teacher about it, and he
> believed that they see some shades, maybe not as much variety as we
> do. But that maybe some colors stand out bit more and seem more
> attractive.

Hi

Colors are assimilated in the mind right?

I dont' understand how anyone can ascert which colors are being seen.

MoMo via CatKB.com
February 6th 07, 02:06 PM
It is not the mind that interprets colors, it is the rods that are contained
in the eye and cats do not have as many as humans. I am sure they see color,
but I would doubt that they see the array of colors that humans do.

Pijewlchio wrote:
>> A couple years later, I asked my biology teacher about it, and he
>> believed that they see some shades, maybe not as much variety as we
>> do. But that maybe some colors stand out bit more and seem more
>> attractive.
>
>Hi
>
>Colors are assimilated in the mind right?
>
>I dont' understand how anyone can ascert which colors are being seen.

22brix
February 6th 07, 03:18 PM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> It is not the mind that interprets colors, it is the rods that are
> contained
> in the eye and cats do not have as many as humans. I am sure they see
> color,
> but I would doubt that they see the array of colors that humans do.
>
> Pijewlchio wrote:
>>> A couple years later, I asked my biology teacher about it, and he
>>> believed that they see some shades, maybe not as much variety as we
>>> do. But that maybe some colors stand out bit more and seem more
>>> attractive.
>>
>>Hi
>>
>>Colors are assimilated in the mind right?
>>
>>I dont' understand how anyone can ascert which colors are being seen.

Rods are best for low light situations and for observing sudden movement
(idea for a cat stalking prey). Cats also have a tapetum in the back of the
eye that reflects light back through the rods, enabling cats to see in much
darker situations than humans. Cones allow us to see colors. Cats do have
some cones but not nearly as many as humans do. One article I read stated
that cats can differentiate red from blue but have difficulty
differentiating red from green.

22brix
February 6th 07, 03:23 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> Rods are best for low light situations and for observing sudden movement
> (idea for a cat stalking prey). Cats also have a tapetum in the back of
> the eye that reflects light back through the rods, enabling cats to see in
> much darker situations than humans. Cones allow us to see colors. Cats
> do have some cones but not nearly as many as humans do. One article I
> read stated that cats can differentiate red from blue but have difficulty
> differentiating red from green.

Typo alert--should say "ideal" for a cat - -

Stick Waver
February 6th 07, 03:31 PM
Pijewlchio wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>

>>A couple years later, I asked my biology teacher about it, and he
>>believed that they see some shades, maybe not as much variety as we
>>do. But that maybe some colors stand out bit more and seem more
>>attractive.
>

> Hi
>
> Colors are assimilated in the mind right?
>
> I dont' understand how anyone can ascert which colors are being seen.

Colors are refracted light waves so each color has a unique
wavelength. Hence, we can tell what living being sees what color by
examining the receptors in their eyes. That said, no one knows if we
all see color the same, but "red is red," as far as wavelengths go.

yngver
February 6th 07, 05:16 PM
On Feb 5, 12:31 pm, "Persian" > wrote:
> Do cats see everything in black and white?
>
> This is what I read: Tests have shown that cats differentiate between
> green, blue and yellow, but do not recognize red. In normal life,
> color appears meaningless to cats. Is that true?
>
> Alexwww.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

So why does one of our cats prefer red balls to play with than any
other color?
-yngver

Rhonda
February 6th 07, 05:51 PM
yngver wrote:
> On Feb 5, 12:31 pm, "Persian" > wrote:
>
>>Do cats see everything in black and white?
>>
>>This is what I read: Tests have shown that cats differentiate between
>>green, blue and yellow, but do not recognize red. In normal life,
>>color appears meaningless to cats. Is that true?
>>
>>Alexwww.PersianKittenEmpire.Com
>
> So why does one of our cats prefer red balls to play with than any
> other color?
> -yngver

Red would probably appear black. Maybe it's easier to see because it
would appear very dark to them and the other colors would appear as
pastels. Here's an excerpt from this website:

http://www.animaleyecare.com/learn.htm

VISION IN ANIMALS

COLOR VISION?

There are two types of cells in the retina that receive light: rods and
cones. Rods are for sensing motion and work best in low light levels.
All mammals, including people, have more rods than cones. Cone cells are
adapted for seeing in brighter light and can detect different colors of
light. Humans have three types of cones. Dogs have two types of cones.
Evidence suggests that the dog has vision similar to a human who is
red-green color blind. Cats have three types of cones, like people, but
do not have exactly the same color vision as we do. Cats live in a world
of fuzzy pastels.

Dogs and cats appear to respond to blue and yellow best, and seem to
have more trouble with green and red. What appears red to us is simply
dark to the dog and cat, and green light is almost indistinguishable
from white (a shade of gray). Colors that would appear very rich to us
are more pastel-like to the cat. The cat sees a green, grassy lawn as a
whitish lawn, and a green rose-bush as a whitish bush with dark flowers.

Rhonda