PDA

View Full Version : Cat Food

Persian
February 5th 07, 06:39 PM
Which brand of Cat Food is the healthiest for cats?

Alex
www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Cat Protector
February 6th 07, 01:30 AM
Actually, my cats get Blue Buffalo Spa Select. It doesn't have any corn,
wheat or soy and no by-products. The chicken and meats they use is the free
range stuff and it also has whole cranberries in it for the health of the
urinary tract. All 3 of my cats love it and it has worked pretty well with
two of them that have issues when they were on other foods.

One of my cats has had UTI and it has been really helpful in his case while
another had a hairball issue which she doesn't have now after being on the
Spa Select. It's amazing what a good food will do. I highly recommend this
stuff to a lot of the cat lovers I know and you can get it at Petsmart.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Persian" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Which brand of Cat Food is the healthiest for cats?
>
> Alex
> www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Persian
February 7th 07, 06:18 PM
Do you know if it's sold in Petco or Pet Goods?

Alex
www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Cat Protector
February 7th 07, 06:41 PM
Not at either. I've heard it might be at Petco in the future. You can order
it online via www.petsmart.com if you don't have a store near you.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Persian" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Do you know if it's sold in Petco or Pet Goods?
>
> Alex
> www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Lynne
February 8th 07, 02:03 AM
on Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:18:28 GMT, "Persian" > wrote:

> Do you know if it's sold in Petco or Pet Goods?

I recently switched my boys to Innova Evo. The kitten gets the wet food,
but my 3 year old isn't a fan and is eating the dry. No grains whatsoever.
If their coat is a good indicator, it's a terrific food.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
February 8th 07, 03:48 AM
On Wed 07 Feb 2007 09:03:12p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> I recently switched my boys to Innova Evo. The kitten gets the
> wet food, but my 3 year old isn't a fan and is eating the dry.
> No grains whatsoever. If their coat is a good indicator, it's a
> terrific food.

Thanks for the reminder that Evo has a canned variety now. I think
I'm going to try it (canned and dry) for my guys. 50% of mine like a
predominately canned food diet, and 50% like mostly dry. Trying to
get the latter to eat more wet. The Wellness Turkey I picked up
recently seems to have changed in consistancy, and the one that liked
*only that flavor* won't eat it now.

--
Cheryl

Go Daddy
February 8th 07, 03:59 AM
On Feb 5, 1:39 pm, "Persian" > wrote:
> Which brand of Cat Food is the healthiest for cats?

For dry food, I prefer Science Diet
For wet food, I buy 9 Lives or Friskies. I go out of my way to avoid
Wiskas
I also hate the pouch foods, you can't get all the food out.

Barry

Cat Protector
February 8th 07, 04:46 AM
Science Diet and Friskies are nothing but crap. There are lots of
by-products and other garbage in them. These brands aren't healthy for cats
at all. I use Blue Buffalo Spa Select which is in my opinion high quality
because it doesn't have any by-product. It's on a human grade level.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Go Daddy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 5, 1:39 pm, "Persian" > wrote:
>> Which brand of Cat Food is the healthiest for cats?
>
> For dry food, I prefer Science Diet
> For wet food, I buy 9 Lives or Friskies. I go out of my way to avoid
> Wiskas
> I also hate the pouch foods, you can't get all the food out.
>
> Barry

Go Daddy
February 8th 07, 04:52 AM
On Feb 7, 11:46 pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Science Diet and Friskies are nothing but crap. There are lots of
> by-products and other garbage in them. These brands aren't healthy for cats
> at all. I use Blue Buffalo Spa Select which is in my opinion high quality
> because it doesn't have any by-product. It's on a human grade level.

shhh, don't tell my cats.

Cat Protector
February 8th 07, 06:58 AM
BTW, feeding a cat a poor quality diet can possibly lead to a UTI. Believe
me, the cat finds know enjoyment in having one.

--

"Go Daddy" > wrote in message
> shhh, don't tell my cats.

honeybunch
February 8th 07, 11:22 AM
Does anyone else use Trader Joe's canned cat food? It has no by-
products or wheat and has only ,.025% max magnesium? My cat really
loves it after having rejected serveral others including Science and
ProPlan canned food. I decided to wean him off his beloved dried
food because of urinary problems and despaired when he refused to eat
them. Trader Joe's even has a really nice pine nugget kitty litter
which I layer ontop of the clumping litter so he doesn't accidentally
ingest it.

On Feb 5, 1:39 pm, "Persian" > wrote:
> Which brand of Cat Food is the healthiest for cats?
>
> Alexwww.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Go Daddy
February 8th 07, 12:31 PM
On Feb 8, 1:58 am, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> BTW, feeding a cat a poor quality diet can possibly lead to a UTI. Believe
> me, the cat finds know enjoyment in having one.

Lifted from
http://www.api4animals.org/facts?p=359&more=1

Nestlé (Alpo, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Mighty Dog, and Ralston Purina
products such as Dog Chow, ProPlan, and Purina One), Heinz (9 Lives,
Amore, Gravy Train, Kibbles-n-Bits, Nature's Recipe), Colgate-
Palmolive (Hill's Science Diet Pet Food). Other leading companies
include Procter & Gamble (Eukanuba and Iams), Mars (Kal Kan, Mealtime,
Pedigree, Sheba, Waltham's), and Nutro.

Additives in Processed Pet Foods

Anticaking agents
Antimicrobial agents
Antioxidants
Coloring agents
Curing agents
Drying agents
Emulsifiers
Firming agents
Flavor enhancers
Flavoring agents
Flour treating agents
Formulation aids
Humectants
Leavening agents
Lubricants
Nonnutritive sweeteners
Nutritive sweeteners
Oxidizing and reducing agents
pH control agents
Processing aids
Sequestrants
Solvents, vehicles
Stabilizers, thickeners
Surface active agents
Surface finishing agents
Synergists
Texturizers

What most consumers don't know is that the pet food industry is an
extension of the human food and agriculture industries.

END

Very interesting. Something I would have never thought about.

SO!

Nestlé (Alpo, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Mighty Dog, and Ralston Purina
products such as Dog Chow, ProPlan, and Purina One), Heinz (9 Lives,
Amore, Gravy Train, Kibbles-n-Bits, Nature's Recipe), Colgate-
Palmolive (Hill's Science Diet Pet Food). Other leading companies
include Procter & Gamble (Eukanuba and Iams), Mars (Kal Kan, Mealtime,
Pedigree, Sheba, Waltham's), and Nutro, use all the scraps form their
human foods companies and turn it into pet food.

Dirty *******s!

Cat Protector
February 8th 07, 03:36 PM
Actually, what this should have said "BTW, feeding a cat a poor quality diet
can possibly lead to a UTI. Believe me, the cat finds no enjoyment in having
one.

--

"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> BTW, feeding a cat a poor quality diet can possibly lead to a UTI. Believe
> me, the cat finds know enjoyment in having one.
>
> --
> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
> www.catgalaxymedia.com
>
> Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of Your Computer Needs!
> www.panthertekit.com
>
> "Go Daddy" > wrote in message
>> shhh, don't tell my cats.

Go Daddy
February 8th 07, 03:43 PM
On Feb 8, 10:36 am, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Actually, what this should have said "BTW, feeding a cat a poor quality diet
> can possibly lead to a UTI. Believe me, the cat finds no enjoyment in having
> one.

same difference, don't be nice, I like you being plain and to the
point.

If you was sitting here and we was having a pop and a smoke, and you
was my friend, (knowing what you know) I would expect you to say, 9
lives is garbage Bear!
Git your **** together man!

bookie
February 8th 07, 03:48 PM
On 8 Feb, 15:36, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Actually, what this should have said "BTW, feeding a cat a poor quality diet
> can possibly lead to a UTI. Believe me, the cat finds no enjoyment in having
> one.
>
> --
> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!www.catgalaxymedia.com
>
> Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of Your Computer Needs!www.panthertekit.com"Cat Protector" > wrote in message

> > BTW, feeding a cat a poor quality diet can possibly lead to a UTI. Believe
> > me, the cat finds know enjoyment in having one.
>
> > --
> > Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
> >www.catgalaxymedia.com
>
> > Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of Your Computer Needs!
> >www.panthertekit.com
>
> > "Go Daddy" > wrote in message
> >> shhh, don't tell my cats.- Hide quoted text -

what about whiskas? my cat has no teeth and only really eats whisaks
supermeat (normal and senior) as all the others tends to come in
chunks which she finds hard to deal with and the supermeat in nice and
smooth for her. i do sometimes get the chunks stuff and then mash it
up for her but she turns her nose up at it.

I would really like to get her something of better quality but all the
high quality cat foods seem to come in dry kibbles, at least here they
do, any suggestions?

ta bookie

Go Daddy
February 8th 07, 03:59 PM
On Feb 8, 10:48 am, "bookie" > wrote:

> I would really like to get her something of better quality but all the
> high quality cat foods seem to come in dry kibbles, at least here they
> do, any suggestions?
>
> ta bookie

hi ta bookie

Yeah, I just read this morning that wiskas and all them supermarket
brands are not healthy for your cat.

Sure it holds them up, puts some weight on them, there is some
nutrients in the food etc... but when you consider all of the
ingredients (far too many to list)...
what they put in the cans or pouches is not fit for consumption.

What they are putting in the cans is everything they couldn't sell to
the humans.
ground up bones and what not. as I say.. there is some nutrients
introduced into the food... but... it's a bottom feeding diet... it's
carcasses.

Anything worth eating has been sold to humans.

Nestlé (Alpo, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Mighty Dog, and Ralston Purina
products such as Dog Chow, ProPlan, and Purina One), Heinz (9 Lives,
Amore, Gravy Train, Kibbles-n-Bits, Nature's Recipe), Colgate-
Palmolive (Hill's Science Diet Pet Food). Other leading companies
include Procter & Gamble (Eukanuba and Iams), Mars (Kal Kan, Mealtime,
Pedigree, Sheba, Waltham's), and Nutro.

See! The companies only make pet food to have a way to get rid of
their rubbishes.

however! upon closer examination, yule see that these companies make
MORE money on pet foods than they do human food products.

Cat Protector said, Blue Buffalo Spa Select has no by products.

Am I going to run out and by BBSS? sure.. Next time I buy a premium
brand, BBSS it is!

This is also going to save me alot of money in vet bills.

Bear

bookie
February 8th 07, 04:31 PM
On 8 Feb, 15:59, "Go Daddy" > wrote:
> On Feb 8, 10:48 am, "bookie" > wrote:
>
> > I would really like to get her something of better quality but all the
> > high quality cat foods seem to come in dry kibbles, at least here they
> > do, any suggestions?
>
> > ta bookie
>
> hi ta bookie
>
> Yeah, I just read this morning that wiskas and all them supermarket
> brands are not healthy for your cat.
>
> Sure it holds them up, puts some weight on them, there is some
> nutrients in the food etc... but when you consider all of the
> ingredients (far too many to list)...
> what they put in the cans or pouches is not fit for consumption.
>
> What they are putting in the cans is everything they couldn't sell to
> the humans.
> ground up bones and what not. as I say.. there is some nutrients
> introduced into the food... but... it's a bottom feeding diet... it's
> carcasses.
>
> Anything worth eating has been sold to humans.
>
> Nestlé (Alpo, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Mighty Dog, and Ralston Purina
> products such as Dog Chow, ProPlan, and Purina One), Heinz (9 Lives,
> Amore, Gravy Train, Kibbles-n-Bits, Nature's Recipe), Colgate-
> Palmolive (Hill's Science Diet Pet Food). Other leading companies
> include Procter & Gamble (Eukanuba and Iams), Mars (Kal Kan, Mealtime,
> Pedigree, Sheba, Waltham's), and Nutro.
>
> See! The companies only make pet food to have a way to get rid of
> their rubbishes.
>
> however! upon closer examination, yule see that these companies make
> MORE money on pet foods than they do human food products.
>
> Cat Protector said, Blue Buffalo Spa Select has no by products.
>
> Am I going to run out and by BBSS? sure.. Next time I buy a premium
> brand, BBSS it is!
>
> This is also going to save me alot of money in vet bills.
>
> Bear

don't get blue buffalo spa in my country, but do get other decent
stuff, it is just all in dry kibble form which jessie can't have. Will
Have to do search for decent wet stuff, in meantime if anyone has any
suggestions for brands of high quality wet food please let me have
them

do you not use the word 'ta' in your country in place of thank you
occasionally?
bookie

Persian
February 8th 07, 04:35 PM
What do you think of Science Diet?

Alex
www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Cat Protector
February 8th 07, 05:34 PM
Actually, Blue Buffalo Spa Select has canned food as well. My cats eat that
as well as the dry.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 8 Feb, 15:36, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
>> Actually, what this should have said "BTW, feeding a cat a poor quality
>> diet
>> can possibly lead to a UTI. Believe me, the cat finds no enjoyment in
>> having
>> one.
>>
>> --
>> Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!www.catgalaxymedia.com
>>
>> Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of Your Computer
>> Needs!www.panthertekit.com"Cat Protector" > wrote in
>> message

>> > BTW, feeding a cat a poor quality diet can possibly lead to a UTI.
>> > Believe
>> > me, the cat finds know enjoyment in having one.
>>
>> > --
>> > Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
>> >www.catgalaxymedia.com
>>
>> > Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of Your Computer Needs!
>> >www.panthertekit.com

> what about whiskas? my cat has no teeth and only really eats whisaks
> supermeat (normal and senior) as all the others tends to come in
> chunks which she finds hard to deal with and the supermeat in nice and
> smooth for her. i do sometimes get the chunks stuff and then mash it
> up for her but she turns her nose up at it.
>
> I would really like to get her something of better quality but all the
> high quality cat foods seem to come in dry kibbles, at least here they
> do, any suggestions?
>
> ta bookie

Cat Protector
February 8th 07, 05:38 PM
Actually Bookie you might be able to. They sell the Spa Select via the
Petsmart web site as well as in the store.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"bookie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On 8 Feb, 15:59, "Go Daddy" > wrote:
> On Feb 8, 10:48 am, "bookie" > wrote:
>
> > I would really like to get her something of better quality but all the
> > high quality cat foods seem to come in dry kibbles, at least here they
> > do, any suggestions?
>
> > ta bookie
>
> hi ta bookie
>
> Yeah, I just read this morning that wiskas and all them supermarket
> brands are not healthy for your cat.
>
> Sure it holds them up, puts some weight on them, there is some
> nutrients in the food etc... but when you consider all of the
> ingredients (far too many to list)...
> what they put in the cans or pouches is not fit for consumption.
>
> What they are putting in the cans is everything they couldn't sell to
> the humans.
> ground up bones and what not. as I say.. there is some nutrients
> introduced into the food... but... it's a bottom feeding diet... it's
> carcasses.
>
> Anything worth eating has been sold to humans.
>
> Nestlé (Alpo, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Mighty Dog, and Ralston Purina
> products such as Dog Chow, ProPlan, and Purina One), Heinz (9 Lives,
> Amore, Gravy Train, Kibbles-n-Bits, Nature's Recipe), Colgate-
> Palmolive (Hill's Science Diet Pet Food). Other leading companies
> include Procter & Gamble (Eukanuba and Iams), Mars (Kal Kan, Mealtime,
> Pedigree, Sheba, Waltham's), and Nutro.
>
> See! The companies only make pet food to have a way to get rid of
> their rubbishes.
>
> however! upon closer examination, yule see that these companies make
> MORE money on pet foods than they do human food products.
>
> Cat Protector said, Blue Buffalo Spa Select has no by products.
>
> Am I going to run out and by BBSS? sure.. Next time I buy a premium
> brand, BBSS it is!
>
> This is also going to save me alot of money in vet bills.
>
> Bear

don't get blue buffalo spa in my country, but do get other decent
stuff, it is just all in dry kibble form which jessie can't have. Will
Have to do search for decent wet stuff, in meantime if anyone has any
suggestions for brands of high quality wet food please let me have
them

do you not use the word 'ta' in your country in place of thank you
occasionally?
bookie

Cat Protector
February 8th 07, 05:44 PM
Science Diet is nothing but by-product and fillers. I'm surprised some
people actually think this is a good food for their cats. When my Icarus
first got a UTI my vet prescribed it but neither he, nor the cats would even
touch it. Using BB: Spa Select has been much better for my cats and all of
them enjoy it and I have a lot of peace of mind knowing they're getting
something healthier. Their coats also look shinier and they have a lot more
energy including one that is a bit on the heavy side but she's thinning out
a bit now.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Persian" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> What do you think of Science Diet?
>
> Alex
> www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Cat Protector
February 8th 07, 05:45 PM
Actually, it is spending a pretty penny but Spa Select is worth it. Not only
has it been a better food in dealing with one of my cats UTI but it also has
been better for their coats and one of my other cats that used to have a
hairball issue doesn't have it as much as she did.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Go Daddy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 8, 10:48 am, "bookie" > wrote:

[...]

February 9th 07, 04:18 PM
On Feb 8, 6:22 am, "honeybunch" > wrote:
> Does anyone else use Trader Joe's canned cat food? It has no by-
> products or wheat and has only ,.025% max magnesium? My cat really
> loves it after having rejected serveral others including Science and
> ProPlan canned food. I decided to wean him off his beloved dried
> food because of urinary problems and despaired when he refused to eat
> them. Trader Joe's even has a really nice pine nugget kitty litter
> which I layer ontop of the clumping litter so he doesn't accidentally
> ingest it.
>
> On Feb 5, 1:39 pm, "Persian" > wrote:

> > Which brand of Cat Food is the healthiest for cats?
>
> > Alexwww.PersianKittenEmpire.Com- Hide quoted text -

Our cats like Trader Joe's canned cat food ... and it's cheaper them
most caned food in Petco.
Trader Joe's is known for their organic products ... it it all true
for pets as well?

Persian
February 9th 07, 04:24 PM
Anyone else for Blue Buffalo besides Cat Protector?
I'm just curious and want to hear other opinions ... please

Thanks,
Alex
www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Lynne
February 9th 07, 05:29 PM
on Fri, 09 Feb 2007 16:24:16 GMT, "Persian" > wrote:

> Anyone else for Blue Buffalo besides Cat Protector?
> I'm just curious and want to hear other opinions ... please

Never heard of it. A quick read of the ingredients list might be a good
start. Keep in mind that ingredients are listed in order of percent of
content, so the first listed ingredients are those with the highest
content.

I recommend looking at Innova Evo, but that doesn't mean the Blue Buffalo
isn't just as good--I'm just not familiar.

--
Lynne

Cat Protector
February 9th 07, 11:42 PM
Well if anyone wants to read about the Blue Buffalo Spa Select cat food go
to www.bluebuff.com.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Persian" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Anyone else for Blue Buffalo besides Cat Protector?
> I'm just curious and want to hear other opinions ... please
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
> www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

cindys
February 11th 07, 05:30 AM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Actually, Blue Buffalo Spa Select has canned food as well. My cats eat
> that as well as the dry.
--------
I'm going to try it.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Cat Protector
February 11th 07, 07:45 AM
Cool. Enjoy. Just remember that with new food you want to mix it in the food
they currently use and slowly bring them over.

--

"cindys" > wrote in message

> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
>> Actually, Blue Buffalo Spa Select has canned food as well. My cats eat
>> that as well as the dry.
> --------
> I'm going to try it.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

honeybunch
February 11th 07, 02:38 PM
Trader Joe's cat food is not advertised so people are skeptical about
using it. Before stumbling on it I tried a few advertised brands like
ProPlan and Science and Sheba. The cat did not consider these to be
food and did not eat them. No by products in trader joe's, just the
real thing plus a lot of vitamins and minerals. However, if its not
advertised, then people won't use it.

cindys
February 11th 07, 09:04 PM
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Trader Joe's cat food is not advertised so people are skeptical about
> using it. Before stumbling on it I tried a few advertised brands like
> ProPlan and Science and Sheba. The cat did not consider these to be
> food and did not eat them.
"The cat did not consider these to be food and did not eat them."

LOL. That is a classic line. I will have to remember it :-)
Best regards,
---Cindy S.