PDA

View Full Version : How long does cat take to digest half- tablespoon of food

tingles via CatKB.com
February 5th 07, 10:48 PM
I give my cat her pill by grinding it up and putting it in half a tablespoon
of food -she will not be "pilled".

Problem is that sometimes when I feed her she throws up (because she eats so
fast!)...so there goes the medication.

She never throws up from the half-table spoon of food - How long should I
wait for that to be digested? An hour? Two hours?

John Ross Mc Master
February 5th 07, 11:20 PM
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 22:48:38 GMT, "tingles via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I give my cat her pill by grinding it up and putting it in half a tablespoon
>of food -she will not be "pilled".
>
>Problem is that sometimes when I feed her she throws up (because she eats so
>fast!)...so there goes the medication.
>
>She never throws up from the half-table spoon of food - How long should I
>wait for that to be digested? An hour? Two hours?

Just a guess, but the medicine is probably metabolized in an hour.
Good question!

Maverick
February 6th 07, 01:15 AM
On Feb 5, 5:48 pm, "tingles via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I give my cat her pill by grinding it up and putting it in half a tablespoon
> of food -she will not be "pilled".

Everytime mine eat, they burp and head off to the litter box.

An indication that new food is in the upper pipes, so I'd say pretty
fast.

I made a complete mess out of one pill. ONE PILL.
it got on everything. what a battle. (Im talking about Ruprecht)

I finally caught him yawning and hit his tongue with a splash of
powdered pill
(what was left of it)... he hated that too.

I believe I heard him say... brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr

Rene S.
February 6th 07, 05:15 PM
On Feb 5, 4:48 pm, "tingles via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I give my cat her pill by grinding it up and putting it in half a tablespoon
> of food -she will not be "pilled".
>
> Problem is that sometimes when I feed her she throws up (because she eats so
> fast!)...so there goes the medication.
>
> She never throws up from the half-table spoon of food - How long should I
> wait for that to be digested? An hour? Two hours?

A cat's digestive tract metabolizes food about twice as fast as humans
(about 12 hrs. vs. 24 hrs.). I would think waiting 1/2 to 1 hour would
be plenty.