PDA

View Full Version : I touched the outdoor cat

dgk
February 7th 07, 01:53 PM
I've been feeding an outdoor cat for a few weeks and he (she?) has
been coming closer all the time. Yesterday he walked right be me as I
was opening the can so I put out a hand (gloved cause it's around 15F)
and brushed him as he walked by. He didn't freak at all.

I guess that means he isn't feral and perhaps I won't even need a trap
to get him into a carrier and off to the vet for a quick fix and tests
to make sure that he isn't contagious with something.

Since I don't want to endanger Espy and Nipsy, can I safely allow him
into the foyer, which the boys sometimes enter? It won't happen at the
same time. Fleas I'm not worried about at the moment but the viruses
are a concern.

I do have the thought that perhaps he'd like to make the transition to
housecat status and that raises a whole host of other issues, for
another day.

Gail
February 7th 07, 05:14 PM
Seclude him in a place where the other boys cannot go into. You are terrific
for helping this poor cat.
Gail
"dgk" > wrote in message
> I've been feeding an outdoor cat for a few weeks and he (she?) has
> been coming closer all the time. Yesterday he walked right be me as I
> was opening the can so I put out a hand (gloved cause it's around 15F)
> and brushed him as he walked by. He didn't freak at all.
>
> I guess that means he isn't feral and perhaps I won't even need a trap
> to get him into a carrier and off to the vet for a quick fix and tests
> to make sure that he isn't contagious with something.
>
> Since I don't want to endanger Espy and Nipsy, can I safely allow him
> into the foyer, which the boys sometimes enter? It won't happen at the
> same time. Fleas I'm not worried about at the moment but the viruses
> are a concern.
>
> I do have the thought that perhaps he'd like to make the transition to
> housecat status and that raises a whole host of other issues, for
> another day.

Cat Protector
February 7th 07, 07:09 PM
Actually, feral cats will usually only come up to their caretaker and shy
away from other humans.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"dgk" > wrote in message
> I've been feeding an outdoor cat for a few weeks and he (she?) has
> been coming closer all the time. Yesterday he walked right be me as I
> was opening the can so I put out a hand (gloved cause it's around 15F)
> and brushed him as he walked by. He didn't freak at all.
>
> I guess that means he isn't feral and perhaps I won't even need a trap
> to get him into a carrier and off to the vet for a quick fix and tests
> to make sure that he isn't contagious with something.
>
> Since I don't want to endanger Espy and Nipsy, can I safely allow him
> into the foyer, which the boys sometimes enter? It won't happen at the
> same time. Fleas I'm not worried about at the moment but the viruses
> are a concern.
>
> I do have the thought that perhaps he'd like to make the transition to
> housecat status and that raises a whole host of other issues, for
> another day.

John Ross Mc Master
February 7th 07, 07:33 PM
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 07:53:34 -0500, dgk > wrote:

>I've been feeding an outdoor cat for a few weeks and he (she?) has
>been coming closer all the time. Yesterday he walked right be me as I
>was opening the can so I put out a hand (gloved cause it's around 15F)
>and brushed him as he walked by. He didn't freak at all.
>
>I guess that means he isn't feral and perhaps I won't even need a trap
>to get him into a carrier and off to the vet for a quick fix and tests
>to make sure that he isn't contagious with something.
>
>Since I don't want to endanger Espy and Nipsy, can I safely allow him
>into the foyer, which the boys sometimes enter? It won't happen at the
>same time. Fleas I'm not worried about at the moment but the viruses
>are a concern.
>
>I do have the thought that perhaps he'd like to make the transition to
>housecat status and that raises a whole host of other issues, for
>another day.

Virusses are usually transmitted by biting. Just keep your stray away
from Espy and Nipsy.

dgk
February 7th 07, 09:09 PM
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:14:05 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:

>Seclude him in a place where the other boys cannot go into. You are terrific
>for helping this poor cat.
>Gail
>"dgk" > wrote in message

There is no place where the boys can't go although there is a room
(the CIR - Cat Introduction Room) where I keep the new one while the
other cats have the run of the house. But after the integration that
room is open to all. I've never had an untested cat in that room
before however so I am concerned about disease entering the house.

But the foyer, that tiny room between the front door and the rest of
the house, is where the cat is likely to end up first. He's already
sitting on the front steps, freaking out the boys. Normally I don't
let the boys into that room since I use it like an airlock but
sometimes they come in if I have no plans to open the front door.

I guess I'm concerned about the logistics. I can get a carrier into
the foyer and once PS (I think that will be his name) is in the foyer,
put him into the carrier. Then he can go to the CIR where I keep him
until I can get him to the vet.

Seems like a plan?

Gail
February 7th 07, 10:24 PM
Yes, that is fine.
Gail
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:14:05 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:
>
>>Seclude him in a place where the other boys cannot go into. You are
>>terrific
>>for helping this poor cat.
>>Gail
>>"dgk" > wrote in message
>
> There is no place where the boys can't go although there is a room
> (the CIR - Cat Introduction Room) where I keep the new one while the
> other cats have the run of the house. But after the integration that
> room is open to all. I've never had an untested cat in that room
> before however so I am concerned about disease entering the house.
>
> But the foyer, that tiny room between the front door and the rest of
> the house, is where the cat is likely to end up first. He's already
> sitting on the front steps, freaking out the boys. Normally I don't
> let the boys into that room since I use it like an airlock but
> sometimes they come in if I have no plans to open the front door.
>
> I guess I'm concerned about the logistics. I can get a carrier into
> the foyer and once PS (I think that will be his name) is in the foyer,
> put him into the carrier. Then he can go to the CIR where I keep him
> until I can get him to the vet.
>
> Seems like a plan?

sheelagh
February 7th 07, 11:35 PM
It gives you such a warm feeling when they allow that first stroke,
all be it fleeting..
It marks the first mutual intimacy of a life long friendship.
Good Luck, & I hope you have many leg rubs to come,
Purrs and affection coming your way
S;o)

Cheryl
February 8th 07, 04:37 AM
On Wed 07 Feb 2007 07:53:34a, dgk wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> I've been feeding an outdoor cat for a few weeks and he (she?)
> has been coming closer all the time. Yesterday he walked right
> be me as I was opening the can so I put out a hand (gloved cause
> it's around 15F) and brushed him as he walked by. He didn't
> freak at all.
>
> I guess that means he isn't feral and perhaps I won't even need
> a trap to get him into a carrier and off to the vet for a quick
> fix and tests to make sure that he isn't contagious with
> something.
>
> Since I don't want to endanger Espy and Nipsy, can I safely
> allow him into the foyer, which the boys sometimes enter? It
> won't happen at the same time. Fleas I'm not worried about at
> the moment but the viruses are a concern.
>
> I do have the thought that perhaps he'd like to make the
> transition to housecat status and that raises a whole host of
> other issues, for another day.

Congrats! He trusted you! What a break through. :) It doesn't
mean he isn't feral. You two have a little time and trust invested.
You might still need a trap, but if you can get him into your
foyer, that's a mighty comfy trap. I wouldn't let your two in there
unless you're prepared to do cleaning with bleach/water mix between
visits. Just until you can have him tested for the nasties. They
should be protected by the others if vacs are up to date, though a
long conversation with my vet last week indicates that there are
viruses mutating lately that she hasn't seen before, and even those
immunized are getting sick enough to have to come see her. Hygiene
best practices are in order.

Good luck!

--
Cheryl

blkcatgal
February 8th 07, 05:49 AM
And don't let your cats eat from a dish that the stray eats from.

Sue

"John Ross Mc Master" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 07:53:34 -0500, dgk > wrote:
>
>>I've been feeding an outdoor cat for a few weeks and he (she?) has
>>been coming closer all the time. Yesterday he walked right be me as I
>>was opening the can so I put out a hand (gloved cause it's around 15F)
>>and brushed him as he walked by. He didn't freak at all.
>>
>>I guess that means he isn't feral and perhaps I won't even need a trap
>>to get him into a carrier and off to the vet for a quick fix and tests
>>to make sure that he isn't contagious with something.
>>
>>Since I don't want to endanger Espy and Nipsy, can I safely allow him
>>into the foyer, which the boys sometimes enter? It won't happen at the
>>same time. Fleas I'm not worried about at the moment but the viruses
>>are a concern.
>>
>>I do have the thought that perhaps he'd like to make the transition to
>>housecat status and that raises a whole host of other issues, for
>>another day.
>
> Virusses are usually transmitted by biting. Just keep your stray away
> from Espy and Nipsy.

dgk
February 8th 07, 04:09 PM
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:49:06 -0500, "blkcatgal" >
wrote:

>And don't let your cats eat from a dish that the stray eats from.
>
>Sue

Oh, I hadn't thought about that. Good point.