PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cat hissing at her brother

Gail
February 8th 07, 02:59 AM
He has "smells" from the vet's office on him. It happens all the time. Try
using vanilla extract behind the neck and on the rumps of both cats.
Gail
"~ narnia ~" > wrote in message
> My cat hisses at her brother when she comes home from the vet. This is
> really odd, because she's the one who smells from the vet, not him! I
> even rubbed the two of them with catnip to see if that would help, but
> it didn't work.
>
> These two are littermates and usually get along fine, but when he sees
> her hostile reaction to him he gets defensive and hisses back, and I
> have to separate them. Last time this happened it took me weeks to get
> things back to normal.
>
> Has anyone else had to deal with a problem like this?

Gail
February 8th 07, 03:12 AM
The one who went to the vet is probably stressed and is taking out her
"feelings" and frustrations on the one who did not. Try getting Feliway
spray or plug in to help calm her. You can buy this on line.
Gail
"Gail" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> He has "smells" from the vet's office on him. It happens all the time. Try
> using vanilla extract behind the neck and on the rumps of both cats.
> Gail
> "~ narnia ~" > wrote in message
>> My cat hisses at her brother when she comes home from the vet. This is
>> really odd, because she's the one who smells from the vet, not him! I
>> even rubbed the two of them with catnip to see if that would help, but
>> it didn't work.
>>
>> These two are littermates and usually get along fine, but when he sees
>> her hostile reaction to him he gets defensive and hisses back, and I
>> have to separate them. Last time this happened it took me weeks to get
>> things back to normal.
>>
>> Has anyone else had to deal with a problem like this?

Cheryl
February 8th 07, 03:56 AM
On Wed 07 Feb 2007 09:12:12p, Gail wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ink.net>:

> The one who went to the vet is probably stressed and is taking
> out her "feelings" and frustrations on the one who did not. Try
> getting Feliway spray or plug in to help calm her. You can buy
> this on line.

Narnia, I agree with Gail. Kitty came home from vet and is
stressed. All cats react differently from this kind of stress. Some
will hide, some will just act out toward familiar faces. If this is
something that happens every time, I'd bring kitty home from vet
every time, and release from carrier in my bedroom. A room with
familiar scents, some quiet, maybe a couple of treats if she feels
like eating something. Maybe even some quiet music playing.
Obviously keep a litterbox and some water in there. I know most
people don't like to have a litterbox in their bedroom, but I
adopted this strategy when I had a cat with chronic diarrhea, and
even though he is gone, the litterbox stayed. Everyone got used to
it being there. It's not intrusive as long as it stays clean.

--
Cheryl