PDA

View Full Version : Killfile help

Stick Waver
February 8th 07, 04:54 PM
How does one killfile a poster that seems to have found a way to avoid
it? I keep trying to killfile Go Daddy and all of its sock puppets
but they keep showing up.

Go Daddy
February 8th 07, 05:14 PM
just put
that and..
in your block senders list

That should do it.

Later

"Stick Waver" > wrote in message
> How does one killfile a poster that seems to have found a way to avoid
> it? I keep trying to killfile Go Daddy and all of its sock puppets
> but they keep showing up.

Go Daddy
February 8th 07, 05:17 PM
I see a lot of people spelling out their addys.
maybe I should spell it out for you

it's

underthebed at yourhouse dot com
and
happystance at gmail dot com

or in outlook, just double click my post.. see where you see my nym.. just
right click and go ADD TO BLOCK SENDERS LIST

so ez

"Go Daddy" > wrote in message
> just put
> that and..
> in your block senders list
>
> That should do it.
>
> Later
>
> "Stick Waver" > wrote in message
> > How does one killfile a poster that seems to have found a way to avoid
> > it? I keep trying to killfile Go Daddy and all of its sock puppets
> > but they keep showing up.

Ricky
February 8th 07, 10:24 PM
On Feb 9, 2:17 am, "Go Daddy" > wrote:
> I see a lot of people spelling out their addys.
> maybe I should spell it out for you
>
> it's
>
> underthebed at yourhouse dot com
> and
> happystance at gmail dot com
>
> or in outlook, just double click my post.. see where you see my nym.. just
> right click and go ADD TO BLOCK SENDERS LIST
>
> so ez
>
> "Go Daddy" > wrote in message

> > just put
> > that and..
> > in your block senders list
>
> > That should do it.
>
> > Later
>
> > "Stick Waver" > wrote in message
> > > How does one killfile a poster that seems to have found a way to avoid
> > > it? I keep trying to killfile Go Daddy and all of its sock puppets
> > > but they keep showing up.- Hide quoted text -

http://www.fucd.com/media.php?media=line_rider_engin2_16.swf

cybercat
February 8th 07, 10:36 PM
"Ricky" > wrote

> http://www.fucd.com/media.php?media=line_rider_engin2_16.swf

What is that?

sheelagh
February 8th 07, 10:54 PM
On 8 Feb, 21:36, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Ricky" > wrote

> >http://www.fucd.com/media.php?media=line_rider_engin2_16.swf
>
> What is that?

Same, HuH...?

Go Daddy
February 8th 07, 11:53 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Same, HuH...?

I love it!

Go Daddy
February 9th 07, 12:00 AM
it's fairly simple and the instructions are here in the group and at the
site

what do you mean what is it

and you went to college

lol

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Ricky" > wrote
> >
> > http://www.fucd.com/media.php?media=line_rider_engin2_16.swf
> >

> What is that?

cybercat
February 9th 07, 12:06 AM
"Go Daddy" > wrote in message
> it's fairly simple and the instructions are here in the group and at the
> site
>
> what do you mean what is it
>
> and you went to college
>
> lol

Kiss my ass, Barry Big Balls.

What is it?

> > http://www.fucd.com/media.php?media=line_rider_engin2_16.swf

starfish
February 9th 07, 12:48 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 8 Feb, 21:36, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Ricky" > wrote

>> >http://www.fucd.com/media.php?media=line_rider_engin2_16.swf
>>
>> What is that?
>
> Same, HuH...?

Did you figure out what that is? I saw something about Firefox, then a link
I was not about to click.

Did you click it?

Charlie Wilkes
February 9th 07, 02:16 AM
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:54:57 -0600, Stick Waver wrote:

> How does one killfile a poster that seems to have found a way to avoid
> it? I keep trying to killfile Go Daddy and all of its sock puppets
> but they keep showing up.

Why bother? You are always free to ignore any articles you don't want to
read.

Charlie

Lynne
February 9th 07, 02:41 AM
on Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:54:57 GMT, Stick Waver > wrote:

> How does one killfile a poster that seems to have found a way to avoid
> it? I keep trying to killfile Go Daddy and all of its sock puppets
> but they keep showing up.

It's different with every newsreader. Xnews enables the use of "scoring"
which allows you to hard kill any posts from email addresses you specify.
This is in addition to the standard killfile.

It sure makes the group easier to read when you don't have to wade through
the crap.

--
Lynne

Stick Waver
February 9th 07, 03:39 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:54:57 -0600, Stick Waver wrote:
>

>>How does one killfile a poster that seems to have found a way to avoid
>>it? I keep trying to killfile Go Daddy and all of its sock puppets
>>but they keep showing up.
>

> Why bother? You are always free to ignore any articles you don't want to
> read.
>
> Charlie
Because I don;t have time to download and sift through all the
needless, mindless posts. I download only 300 a day - I would like
them to be meaningful.

sheelagh
February 9th 07, 12:00 PM
On 9 Feb, 01:16, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:54:57 -0600, Stick Waver wrote:
> > How does one killfile a poster that seems to have found a way to avoid
> > it? I keep trying to killfile Go Daddy and all of its sock puppets
> > but they keep showing up.
>
> Why bother? You are always free to ignore any articles you don't want to
> read.
>
> Charlie

I agree, everyone is allowed a voice, whether you choose to read/hear
it or not, is your choice.

I unfairly battered Barry because I thought he was a mindless Toad
when I first arrived
But now that I took the trouble to get to know him, I realise that it
is a case a dry sense of humour. I happen to find it funny @ times, so
I think your right. If you don't like it, don't read it!
My comment is not designed to be offensive or taking sides either, I
am merely expressing an opinion.
I find both of our postings helpful, funny & informative too.
Let's not argue, it is silly!
S.
Ps: May we all post in harmony.....truely X

Charlie Wilkes
February 10th 07, 12:41 AM
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 03:00:06 -0800, sheelagh wrote:

> On 9 Feb, 01:16, Charlie Wilkes >
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:54:57 -0600, Stick Waver wrote:
>> > How does one killfile a poster that seems to have found a way to
>> > avoid it? I keep trying to killfile Go Daddy and all of its sock
>> > puppets but they keep showing up.
>>
>> Why bother? You are always free to ignore any articles you don't want
>> to read.
>>
>> Charlie
>
> I agree, everyone is allowed a voice, whether you choose to read/hear it
> or not, is your choice.
>
> I unfairly battered Barry because I thought he was a mindless Toad when
> I first arrived
> But now that I took the trouble to get to know him, I realise that it is
> a case a dry sense of humour. I happen to find it funny @ times, so I
> think your right. If you don't like it, don't read it!

Sure. But the point isn't about Barry per se. It's about the killfile
mentality, an authoritarian impulse coupled with a princess-and-the-pea
sense of entitlement. People who find killfiles necessary ought to
migrate to a different type of forum. There are innumerable moderated
boards on the web where one can have a perfectly sanitized discussion. I
participate in some of them, no problem. But this ain't part of that
system. This is a place where people are free to let loose with wild,
crazy, socially unacceptable modes of expression.

> My comment is not designed to be offensive or taking sides either, I am
> merely expressing an opinion.

Some people go out of their way to be offensive. Iben is a good
example. His comments are designed to be provocative, and sometimes he
sounds like a snotty teenager, but sometimes he comes up with really
interesting news items that I haven't heard about. And I guess it's the
same with Barry. One day he can be so far out there that I can't grasp the
point he's trying to make, and the next day he will post something that is
cogent and interesting. You can't have a noise-free channel in an
unmoderated group, because the signal and the noise emanate from the same
personalities.

Charlie

> I find both of our postings helpful, funny & informative too. Let's not
> argue, it is silly!
> S.
> Ps: May we all post in harmony.....truely X

Barry
February 10th 07, 03:14 AM
On Feb 9, 6:41 pm, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:
> You can't have a noise-free channel in an
> unmoderated group, because the signal and the noise emanate from the same
> personalities.
>
> Charlie

You haven't made much noise lately, I have to be honest, in the
beginning, that was one of the reasons I hung out. To see what you
would say to somebody next.

Then again, there's so many "pro flamers" in here, maybe sometimes the
pros don't leave much for you to roast. I don't know.

Maybe we should start a fund and advertise in a few international
magazines, buy some "clicks" from Google or something...

"Know it all cat owners wanted"

The other reason I hung out was to get even with the bitches that
called me a flaming asshole.

I'm serious! I have NEVER been talked to so ugly until I came here.

What is really bothering me now is, I thought I had more respect for
myself.

I figure if I get even by proving what an a-hole someone is, I might
get some self respect back.

Go figure.

Barry
February 10th 07, 03:20 AM
On Feb 8, 6:06 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Kiss my ass, Barry Big Balls.
>
> What is it?
>
> > >http://www.fucd.com/media.php?media=line_rider_engin2_16.swf

It is an interactive flash movie.

Simply follow the on screen prompts...
when it says, click here to play.. go ahead and click there.

It takes 2 clicks before the actual fun begins.
I played with it for about 5 mins, It was fun.

You end up drawing a line across the screen.
When the line is drawn and you lift your pencil, a little man on a
sled rides your line.

You should draw the line from top left to bottom right... this gives
the little man on the sled a downhill ride. You can give him humps and
ramps to jump etc...

the punch line is.. he jumps off and falls into the abyss, he just
keeps falling.

Rick posted that because much like the man on the sled, Lynne had
pushed me off her reading list.

Barry

Charlie Wilkes
February 10th 07, 05:47 AM
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 18:14:51 -0800, Barry wrote:

> On Feb 9, 6:41 pm, Charlie Wilkes >
> wrote:
>> You can't have a noise-free channel in an unmoderated group, because
>> the signal and the noise emanate from the same personalities.
>>
>> Charlie
>
> You haven't made much noise lately, I have to be honest, in the
> beginning, that was one of the reasons I hung out. To see what you would
> say to somebody next.

Thanks, I'm flattered. I'm mostly lurking these days.

> Then again, there's so many "pro flamers" in here, maybe sometimes the
> pros don't leave much for you to roast. I don't know.

That's not it. There are two factors:

First, this group attracts a certain number of volatile people who have a
tendency to take things too far. Remember the "Karma" post that came out
after the Conan debacle? Eventually the police got involved. I witnessed a
similar episode in another group, too, where someone was mocking the
afflicted to the point where the afflicted showed up on her doorstep and
she had to get a restraining order. I want no part of that kind of ****.

Second, my strategy in flame wars has usually been to make my personality
as obnoxious and repugnant as possible, and take everyone on. That's
what I did in alt.drugs.pot and rec.pets.dogs.behavior. I don't have to
worry too much about hurting people's feelings, because I'm the outsider
and everyone knows it, and I'm not the type to cry myself to sleep over
Usenet banter.

Here, I'm interested in what people have to say, and I'm familiar with
the regulars, so it's too late for me to style myself as a provocateur.

> Maybe we should start a fund and advertise in a few international
> magazines, buy some "clicks" from Google or something...
>
> "Know it all cat owners wanted"
>
> The other reason I hung out was to get even with the bitches that called
> me a flaming asshole.

The number-one rule for success as a flame warrior: never get mad.
Let your opponent get mad.

Charlie

Stick Waver
February 10th 07, 03:20 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 03:00:06 -0800, sheelagh wrote:
>

>>On 9 Feb, 01:16, Charlie Wilkes >
>>wrote:

>>>Why bother? You are always free to ignore any articles you don't want
>>>to read.
>>>
>>>Charlie
>>
>>I agree, everyone is allowed a voice, whether you choose to read/hear it
>>or not, is your choice.
>>
>>I unfairly battered Barry because I thought he was a mindless Toad when
>>I first arrived
>>But now that I took the trouble to get to know him, I realise that it is
>>a case a dry sense of humour. I happen to find it funny @ times, so I
>>think your right. If you don't like it, don't read it!
>

> Sure. But the point isn't about Barry per se. It's about the killfile
> mentality, an authoritarian impulse coupled with a princess-and-the-pea
> sense of entitlement. People who find killfiles necessary ought to
> migrate to a different type of forum. There are innumerable moderated
> boards on the web where one can have a perfectly sanitized discussion. I
> participate in some of them, no problem. But this ain't part of that
> system. This is a place where people are free to let loose with wild,
> crazy, socially unacceptable modes of expression.

And I am free not to want to wade through certain posts or have them
take up bandwith. Like I said, I only have time to download 300 or so
messages a day.

This is why killfiles exist.

>>My comment is not designed to be offensive or taking sides either, I am
>>merely expressing an opinion.
>

> Some people go out of their way to be offensive. Iben is a good
> example. His comments are designed to be provocative, and sometimes he
> sounds like a snotty teenager, but sometimes he comes up with really
> interesting news items that I haven't heard about.

Not worth the effort of sifting through his garbage. You may have all
day to do that; I don't.

> And I guess it's the
> same with Barry. One day he can be so far out there that I can't grasp the
> point he's trying to make, and the next day he will post something that is
> cogent and interesting.

Again, there are myriad other posters with equal or better info. I
don't need to sift through mounds of crap to find one gem.

Charlie Wilkes
February 11th 07, 12:37 AM
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:20:02 -0600, Stick Waver wrote:

> And I am free not to want to wade through certain posts or have them
> take up bandwith. Like I said, I only have time to download 300 or so
> messages a day.
>
> This is why killfiles exist.

Yes. And help files exist so you don't have to ask strangers how to
configure your software.

I don't know who you think you are kidding. Of course you are free to
want, or free not to want, anything. But if your time is really that
scarce and valuable, and your bandwidth so excruciatingly limited, then I
would say Usenet in general is a poor use of your resources. It's
like hanging out by the office water cooler and bitching about all the
small talk.

Charlie

Stick Waver
February 11th 07, 12:55 AM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:20:02 -0600, Stick Waver wrote:
>
>>And I am free not to want to wade through certain posts or have them
>>take up bandwith. Like I said, I only have time to download 300 or so
>>messages a day.
>>
>>This is why killfiles exist.
>

> Yes. And help files exist so you don't have to ask strangers how to
> configure your software.

So you stick up for the moronic posters but you damn me for asking a
question???

> I don't know who you think you are kidding.

WTF are you talking about? I'm not trying to "kid" anyone.

> Of course you are free to
> want, or free not to want, anything. But if your time is really that
> scarce and valuable, and your bandwidth so excruciatingly limited, then I
> would say Usenet in general is a poor use of your resources. It's
> like hanging out by the office water cooler and bitching about all the
> small talk.

No, it's like bitchng about the moron(s) wasting my time.

Speaking of...

PLONK

cybercat
February 11th 07, 01:14 AM
"Stick Waver" > wrote in message
> Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:20:02 -0600, Stick Waver wrote:
>>
>>>And I am free not to want to wade through certain posts or have them take
>>>up bandwith. Like I said, I only have time to download 300 or so messages
>>>a day.
>>>
>>>This is why killfiles exist.
>>

>> Yes. And help files exist so you don't have to ask strangers how to
>> configure your software.
>
> So you stick up for the moronic posters but you damn me for asking a
> question???

You weren't asking a question. You were displaying your dislike for
the posts of a long-term, mostly on-topic poster here. Public
masturbation, at best.

cybercat
February 11th 07, 01:16 AM
"Stick Waver" > wrote

> So you stick up for the moronic posters but you damn me for asking a
> question???

It's pretty moronic to ask for "killfile help," in a cat group if you ask
me.

See a post you don't like, put the author in your killfile. See another one,
repeat as necessary. One poster using several email addresses? Killfile
them all. It's not rocket science.

Charlie Wilkes
February 11th 07, 04:05 AM
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:16:34 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> "Stick Waver" > wrote
>>
>> So you stick up for the moronic posters but you damn me for asking a
>> question???
>
> It's pretty moronic to ask for "killfile help," in a cat group if you ask
> me.
>
> See a post you don't like, put the author in your killfile. See another one,
> repeat as necessary. One poster using several email addresses? Killfile
> them all. It's not rocket science.

This person is kind of a sorehead, eh? Oh well.

Charlie

Stick Waver
February 11th 07, 07:20 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "Stick Waver" > wrote in message
>
>>Charlie Wilkes wrote:

>>>Yes. And help files exist so you don't have to ask strangers how to
>>>configure your software.
>>
>>So you stick up for the moronic posters but you damn me for asking a
>>question???
>>

> You weren't asking a question. You were displaying your dislike for
> the posts of a long-term, mostly on-topic poster here. Public
> masturbation, at best.

Well, no. I asked for help. I tried to killfile Go Daddy but it
wouldn;t stick. I was asking if someone knew how to make it work. The
rest came in response to an attack on my asking the question.

Stick Waver
February 11th 07, 07:23 AM
cybercat wrote:

> "Stick Waver" > wrote
>
>>So you stick up for the moronic posters but you damn me for asking a
>>question???
>

> It's pretty moronic to ask for "killfile help," in a cat group if you ask
> me.
>
> See a post you don't like, put the author in your killfile.

I tried that - it wouldn;t work. THAT'S why I asked for help. I
thought there was something Go Daddy was doing to avoid PLONKING.

Jeez H. Christ. Who peed in your cornflakes this morning?