PDA

View Full Version : Cat has tiny scabs on her back.

Zippy
February 8th 07, 04:09 PM
Our aged female has been accumulating tiny scabs on her back. She
doesn't have any critters such as fleas biting her and she lives
indoors. What could this be?

Cat Protector
February 8th 07, 05:46 PM
Perhaps she has a food allergy? What type of food is she on? Also, have you
taken this to the vet?

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Zippy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Our aged female has been accumulating tiny scabs on her back. She
> doesn't have any critters such as fleas biting her and she lives
> indoors. What could this be?

Lynne
February 8th 07, 11:01 PM
on Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:09:29 GMT, "Zippy" > wrote:

> Our aged female has been accumulating tiny scabs on her back. She
> doesn't have any critters such as fleas biting her and she lives
> indoors. What could this be?

Do you have other pets that could be doing this to her? Or perhaps a rough
edge on a piece of furniture she is squeezing underneath? If you can't
identify a cause, I think a visit to the vet is in order to check for
allergies, as was already suggested.

--
Lynne

sheelagh
February 9th 07, 10:28 AM
On 8 Feb, 23:01, Lynne > wrote:
> on Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:09:29 GMT, "Zippy" > wrote:
>
> > Our aged female has been accumulating tiny scabs on her back. She
> > doesn't have any critters such as fleas biting her and she lives
> > indoors. What could this be?
>
> Do you have other pets that could be doing this to her? Or perhaps a rough
> edge on a piece of furniture she is squeezing underneath? If you can't
> identify a cause, I think a visit to the vet is in order to check for
> allergies, as was already suggested.
>
> --
> Lynne

I could be utterly wrong here, but what you are describing sounds very
like what Tiggy had when I came here looking for advice & it was Ring
Worm!!
Worth checking under a woods light.Best of luck & let us know
S.

Rhonda
February 10th 07, 08:54 PM
Zippy, the only time we've had that on a cat was flea allergies. It
doesn't take many fleas to get it -- and indoor cats get fleas pretty
easily.

Are you sure there are no fleas at all? I'd take her to the vet if you
haven't already. They will check for flea dirt, ringworm and all of the
other good things.

Rhonda

Zippy wrote:
> Our aged female has been accumulating tiny scabs on her back. She
> doesn't have any critters such as fleas biting her and she lives
> indoors. What could this be?

Zippy
February 15th 07, 03:22 PM
On Feb 10, 3:54 pm, Rhonda > wrote:
> Zippy, the only time we've had that on a cat was flea allergies. It
> doesn't take many fleas to get it -- and indoor cats get fleas pretty
> easily.
>
> Are you sure there are no fleas at all? I'd take her to the vet if you
> haven't already. They will check for flea dirt, ringworm and all of the
> other good things.
>
> Rhonda
>

> Zippy wrote:
> > Our aged female has been accumulating tiny scabs on her back. She
> > doesn't have any critters such as fleas biting her and she lives
> > indoors. What could this be?- Hide quoted text -

OK I took Monica our queen to the vet who thought the sore spots are
an allergy. But there's no evidence of fleas. The other cats aren't
biting or scratching her. The vet gave her a shot of cortisone which
calmed down the welts and she is more comfortable. Some of the vet's
advice is that SOME cats can be allergic to FISH & beef so stick to
poultry products. I am currently feeding them IAMS dry Indoor & anti-
hairball catfood. I also give them IAMS & sometimes FANCY FEAST
canned treats. They haven't had so many hairball throwups & all in
all, seem happier. We'll see.

Zippy
February 16th 07, 03:49 PM
On Feb 15, 10:22 am, "Zippy" > wrote:
> On Feb 10, 3:54 pm, Rhonda > wrote:
>

> > Zippy, the only time we've had that on a cat was flea allergies. It
> > doesn't take many fleas to get it -- and indoor cats get fleas pretty
> > easily.
>
> > Are you sure there are no fleas at all? I'd take her to the vet if you
> > haven't already. They will check for flea dirt, ringworm and all of the
> > other good things.
>
> > Rhonda
>
> > Zippy wrote:
> > > Our aged female has been accumulating tiny scabs on her back. She
> > > doesn't have any critters such as fleas biting her and she lives
> > > indoors. What could this be?- Hide quoted text -

> OK I took Monica our queen to the vet who thought the sore spots are
> an allergy. But there's no evidence of fleas. The other cats aren't
> biting or scratching her. The vet gave her a shot of cortisone which
> calmed down the welts and she is more comfortable. Some of the vet's
> advice is that SOME cats can be allergic to FISH & beef so stick to
> poultry products. I am currently feeding them IAMS dry Indoor & anti-
> hairball catfood. I also give them IAMS & sometimes FANCY FEAST
> canned treats. They haven't had so many hairball throwups & all in
> all, seem happier. We'll see.- Hide quoted text -

GUESS WHAT! After the expensive visit to the vet, I discovered the
actualy problem is FLEAS! I sat down to read & Monica hopped onto my
lap; I combed her again and VOILA-- a darned FLEA! I used the vet's
flea riddance prep on her & she is now beginning to play & roll on
her back like old tiems!

Lynne
February 16th 07, 11:33 PM
on Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:49:23 GMT, "Zippy" > wrote:

> GUESS WHAT! After the expensive visit to the vet, I discovered the
> actualy problem is FLEAS! I sat down to read & Monica hopped onto my
> lap; I combed her again and VOILA-- a darned FLEA! I used the vet's
> flea riddance prep on her & she is now beginning to play & roll on
> her back like old tiems!

Well... at least now you know!

I hate those little blood suckers.

Thanks for updating us. So many people don't, and it always leaves me
wondering.

--
Lynne