PDA

View Full Version : cat's obsession with toy

Maxine G
February 8th 07, 06:22 PM
Hi. My cat LOVES his feather toy, to the exclusion of almost everything
else. Every time someone in the house stands up, he runs to the closet
where the toy is kept and starte meowing piteously. He comes into my office
or bedroom and starts meowing and tries to get me to go down to play with
him.

It's a little annoying and so pathetic! We always feel bad about saying no
to him, but we can't play with him constantly. Attempts to get him
interested in other toys have failed completely. He seems so forlorn when
we don't play with him.

I assume this is within the realm of normal cat behavior, but is there
anything we can or should do to help him with his obsession? He's about 2
and 1/2 years old, and we've only had him for about 2 months.

Thanks,
Maxine

--
mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net

cybercat
February 8th 07, 06:35 PM
"Maxine G" > wrote in message
. 33.102...
> Hi. My cat LOVES his feather toy, to the exclusion of almost everything
> else. Every time someone in the house stands up, he runs to the closet
> where the toy is kept and starte meowing piteously. He comes into my
> office
> or bedroom and starts meowing and tries to get me to go down to play with
> him.
>
> It's a little annoying and so pathetic! We always feel bad about saying no
> to him, but we can't play with him constantly. Attempts to get him
> interested in other toys have failed completely. He seems so forlorn when
> we don't play with him.
>
> I assume this is within the realm of normal cat behavior, but is there
> anything we can or should do to help him with his obsession? He's about 2
> and 1/2 years old, and we've only had him for about 2 months.

Just play with him more. They are all a little obsessive. He will move on
to other interests, as they all do, if you keep a variety of toys around.
Get him some that do not require your particiption, too--danglies and
such.

Cheryl
February 9th 07, 03:22 AM
On Thu 08 Feb 2007 01:22:42p, Maxine G wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
. 33.102>:

> I assume this is within the realm of normal cat behavior, but is
> there anything we can or should do to help him with his
> obsession? He's about 2 and 1/2 years old, and we've only had
> him for about 2 months.

Hi Maxine. My answer might be completely out of the question, but I
have to ask. Does he have another kitty friend to play with, or is he
an only cat? Sometimes having a buddy helps him feel more secure in
the home, and have someone to play with. Then again, sometimes it's
hard to integrate another, though not impossible even if they seem to
hate each other at first. An only cat will want you to be his
playmate during waking hours.

--
Cheryl

Maxine G
February 9th 07, 09:04 PM
Cheryl > wrote in news:[email protected]
130.133.1.4:

. 33.102>:

>> I assume this is within the realm of normal cat behavior, but is
>> there anything we can or should do to help him with his
>> obsession? He's about 2 and 1/2 years old, and we've only had
>> him for about 2 months.
>
> Hi Maxine. My answer might be completely out of the question, but I
> have to ask. Does he have another kitty friend to play with, or is he
> an only cat? Sometimes having a buddy helps him feel more secure in
> the home, and have someone to play with. Then again, sometimes it's
> hard to integrate another, though not impossible even if they seem to
> hate each other at first. An only cat will want you to be his
> playmate during waking hours.

We have his sister too. They do play together some, although sometimes it's
hard to tell whether it's playing or fighting.

--
mgusenet+this year at pcg dot net

Veloise
February 10th 07, 02:17 AM
Maxine wrote:
> Hi. My cat LOVES his feather toy, to the exclusion of almost everything
> else. Every time someone in the house stands up, he runs to the closet
> where the toy is kept and starte meowing piteously. He comes into my office
> or bedroom and starts meowing and tries to get me to go down to play with
> him.
>
> It's a little annoying and so pathetic! We always feel bad about saying no
> to him, but we can't play with him constantly. Attempts to get him
> interested in other toys have failed completely. He seems so forlorn when
> we don't play with him.
>
> I assume this is within the realm of normal cat behavior, but is there
> anything we can or should do to help him with his obsession? He's about 2
> and 1/2 years old, and we've only had him for about 2 months.

Attach the toy to a door jam and let it dangle there. 24/7 playtime!

Get a laser pointer and wean him off the feathers. (This might not be
a solution.)

Get a regulation grocery paper bag and open it up, leave it on the
floor. Stand back!

HTH

--Karen D.

Lynne
February 10th 07, 03:07 AM
on Sat, 10 Feb 2007 02:17:00 GMT, "Veloise" > wrote:

> Attach the toy to a door jam and let it dangle there. 24/7 playtime!

Please do not do this. Cats can and do get tangled in the string and can
be seriously hurt.

--
Lynne

Barry
February 10th 07, 03:14 AM
On Feb 9, 10:07 pm, Lynne > wrote:

> Please do not do this. Cats can and do get tangled in the string and can
> be seriously hurt.

She said put the toy at the jamb, where did you get all this string
from?

Just itching to bake someone aintcha!

BAKE THIS

22brix
February 10th 07, 06:37 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Sat, 10 Feb 2007 02:17:00 GMT, "Veloise" >
> wrote:
>
>> Attach the toy to a door jam and let it dangle there. 24/7 playtime!
>
> Please do not do this. Cats can and do get tangled in the string and can
> be seriously hurt.
>
> --
> Lynne

I agree with Lynne. I've been lucky that none of my troop have tangled too
badly but I have a couple of cats that will chew on the string and it would
be really bad news if they swallowed it. I have "Da Bird" which they love
but I have to put it away when we're not playing because they will chew and
swallow the string and also the feathers. Some of the feathers are fairly
stiff and I doubt it does them any good if they swallow.

Bonnie

Cheryl
February 11th 07, 06:21 PM
On Fri 09 Feb 2007 04:04:10p, Maxine G wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
. 17.102>:

> We have his sister too. They do play together some, although
> sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's playing or fighting.

I'm glad he has a playmate and a littermate is great. I know what you
mean about the playing vs. fighting thing - my littermates are about
the same age as yours and they play rough. The sister gets the worst
of it sometimes, but she doesn't back off and gets her licks in. LOL
Then the next minute they're snuggling together grooming each other.

Good luck. I don't have anything else to add and I see you have some
good suggestions.

--
Cheryl