PDA

View Full Version : Cat not eating

February 9th 07, 12:05 AM
All,

I need some suggestions. My seven year old male has lost most of his
appetite. He was never real hot on wet food but really loved his dry.
His sister passed several weeks ago and he really went downhill at
that point. He doesn't really eat much at all. If we try something
new, he'll eat it once then not much after that. We adopted another
kitty last week in hopes of spunking him up, but they are in the
standoff stage. I had him checked by the vet as I saw that he was
squating while urinating. The urinalysis has not come back yet but
the vet said he was looking good. Just in case, he is on prednisone
and an antibiotic. Besides being grief, does anyone have any
suggestions of what might be going on and how we can help him eat
more.

Thanks,
Rob

Gail
February 9th 07, 01:12 AM
This sounds like a medical problem. I think the vet should help you with the
urinalysis and blood work should be done. Try meated baby foods without
onion and make sure it is at room temperature.
Gail
> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I need some suggestions. My seven year old male has lost most of his
> appetite. He was never real hot on wet food but really loved his dry.
> His sister passed several weeks ago and he really went downhill at
> that point. He doesn't really eat much at all. If we try something
> new, he'll eat it once then not much after that. We adopted another
> kitty last week in hopes of spunking him up, but they are in the
> standoff stage. I had him checked by the vet as I saw that he was
> squating while urinating. The urinalysis has not come back yet but
> the vet said he was looking good. Just in case, he is on prednisone
> and an antibiotic. Besides being grief, does anyone have any
> suggestions of what might be going on and how we can help him eat
> more.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Cheryl
February 9th 07, 01:17 AM
On Thu 08 Feb 2007 07:05:17p, wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> I need some suggestions. My seven year old male has lost most
> of his appetite. He was never real hot on wet food but really
> loved his dry. His sister passed several weeks ago and he really
> went downhill at that point. He doesn't really eat much at all.
> If we try something new, he'll eat it once then not much after
> that. We adopted another kitty last week in hopes of spunking
> him up, but they are in the standoff stage. I had him checked
> by the vet as I saw that he was squating while urinating. The
> urinalysis has not come back yet but the vet said he was looking
> good. Just in case, he is on prednisone and an antibiotic.
> Besides being grief, does anyone have any suggestions of what
> might be going on and how we can help him eat more.

Awww, poor lil guy. They really do grieve. :( Personally, I'd stop
the antibiotic unless the results come back showing an infection.
Antibiotics can be very harsh on the tummy, and nausea is enough to
make him quit eating. Is he urinating normally now? Did the AB
make a difference? If he does have an infection (normal if he had a
life change like losing a sibling or loved one) then I'd see if the
AB can be changed to something else. There are a couple of things
that can boost the appetite if it isn't a real physical problem
underlying. A shot of b12 (painful intramuscular shot, but
effective sometimes) or another drug (some antihistamine that I
can't recall the name now, but your vet would know).

Good luck to the lil guy and the kidden, and I'm sorry for your
loss.

--
Cheryl

Buddy's Mom
February 9th 07, 01:29 AM
On Feb 8, 7:05�pm, " >
wrote:
> All,
>
> I need some suggestions. *My seven year old male has lost most of his
> appetite. *He was never real hot on wet food but really loved his dry.
Rob

I hate to be so simplistic - but what about hairballs? Try some
Temptations Treats for hairballs - about 10 a day and see if he
doesn't come around. The older they get, the harder it is for them to
process the fur that they lick and if he is grieving - stress can do
all sorts of things.

> His sister passed several weeks ago and he really went downhill at
> that point. *He doesn't really eat much at all. *If we try something
> new, he'll eat it once then not much after that. *We adopted another
> kitty last week in hopes of spunking him up, but they are in the
> standoff stage. *I had him checked by the vet as I saw that he was
> squating while urinating. *The urinalysis has not come back yet but
> the vet said he was looking good. *Just in case, he is on prednisone
> and an antibiotic. *Besides being grief, does anyone have any
> suggestions of what might be going on and how we can help him eat
> more.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Wendy
February 9th 07, 02:48 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Thu 08 Feb 2007 07:05:17p, wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> I need some suggestions. My seven year old male has lost most
>> of his appetite. He was never real hot on wet food but really
>> loved his dry. His sister passed several weeks ago and he really
>> went downhill at that point. He doesn't really eat much at all.
>> If we try something new, he'll eat it once then not much after
>> that. We adopted another kitty last week in hopes of spunking
>> him up, but they are in the standoff stage. I had him checked
>> by the vet as I saw that he was squating while urinating. The
>> urinalysis has not come back yet but the vet said he was looking
>> good. Just in case, he is on prednisone and an antibiotic.
>> Besides being grief, does anyone have any suggestions of what
>> might be going on and how we can help him eat more.
>>
> Awww, poor lil guy. They really do grieve. :( Personally, I'd stop
> the antibiotic unless the results come back showing an infection.
> Antibiotics can be very harsh on the tummy, and nausea is enough to
> make him quit eating. Is he urinating normally now? Did the AB
> make a difference? If he does have an infection (normal if he had a
> life change like losing a sibling or loved one) then I'd see if the
> AB can be changed to something else. There are a couple of things
> that can boost the appetite if it isn't a real physical problem
> underlying. A shot of b12 (painful intramuscular shot, but
> effective sometimes) or another drug (some antihistamine that I
> can't recall the name now, but your vet would know).
>
> Good luck to the lil guy and the kidden, and I'm sorry for your
> loss.
>

> --
> Cheryl

Are you thinking of Cyproheptadine?

Richard Evans
February 9th 07, 03:28 AM
Cheryl > wrote:

>Awww, poor lil guy. They really do grieve.

FWIW, my mother died in December. Her cat of 22 years went to live
with my niece and followed within a month. Just stopped eating and
died. Never had any other medical problems.

February 9th 07, 12:09 PM
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 01:12:41 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:

>This sounds like a medical problem. I think the vet should help you with the
>urinalysis and blood work should be done. Try meated baby foods without
>onion and make sure it is at room temperature.

It looks like from the receipt that they did do blood work. I will
call back today for more info.

Thanks,
Rob

>Gail
> wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> I need some suggestions. My seven year old male has lost most of his
>> appetite. He was never real hot on wet food but really loved his dry.
>> His sister passed several weeks ago and he really went downhill at
>> that point. He doesn't really eat much at all. If we try something
>> new, he'll eat it once then not much after that. We adopted another
>> kitty last week in hopes of spunking him up, but they are in the
>> standoff stage. I had him checked by the vet as I saw that he was
>> squating while urinating. The urinalysis has not come back yet but
>> the vet said he was looking good. Just in case, he is on prednisone
>> and an antibiotic. Besides being grief, does anyone have any
>> suggestions of what might be going on and how we can help him eat
>> more.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rob

February 9th 07, 12:14 PM
Cheryl,

Thanks so much for your reply. I was so hoping that we'd be able to
get a bit of happiness with the new kitty after nursing little Katie
for more than a year, but alas, not yet. He's only had two Baytrils
at this point and the vet said he chose that because he didn't want to
cause any further issues with appetite. His urinary output looks
better now. He's eating about 1/3 of what he normally eats right now
but keeps looking around. My gut says this is stress or anxiety but
that doesn't make him better. Otherwise he is normal, wants to play
all the time and sleeps on my head (new for him).

Rob

On 9 Feb 2007 01:17:10 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On Thu 08 Feb 2007 07:05:17p, wrote in
>rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:
>
>> I need some suggestions. My seven year old male has lost most
>> of his appetite. He was never real hot on wet food but really
>> loved his dry. His sister passed several weeks ago and he really
>> went downhill at that point. He doesn't really eat much at all.
>> If we try something new, he'll eat it once then not much after
>> that. We adopted another kitty last week in hopes of spunking
>> him up, but they are in the standoff stage. I had him checked
>> by the vet as I saw that he was squating while urinating. The
>> urinalysis has not come back yet but the vet said he was looking
>> good. Just in case, he is on prednisone and an antibiotic.
>> Besides being grief, does anyone have any suggestions of what
>> might be going on and how we can help him eat more.
>>
>Awww, poor lil guy. They really do grieve. :( Personally, I'd stop
>the antibiotic unless the results come back showing an infection.
>Antibiotics can be very harsh on the tummy, and nausea is enough to
>make him quit eating. Is he urinating normally now? Did the AB
>make a difference? If he does have an infection (normal if he had a
>life change like losing a sibling or loved one) then I'd see if the
>AB can be changed to something else. There are a couple of things
>that can boost the appetite if it isn't a real physical problem
>underlying. A shot of b12 (painful intramuscular shot, but
>effective sometimes) or another drug (some antihistamine that I
>can't recall the name now, but your vet would know).
>
>Good luck to the lil guy and the kidden, and I'm sorry for your
>loss.

February 9th 07, 12:16 PM
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:28:55 -0500, Richard Evans
> wrote:

>Cheryl > wrote:
>

>>Awww, poor lil guy. They really do grieve.
>
>FWIW, my mother died in December. Her cat of 22 years went to live
>with my niece and followed within a month. Just stopped eating and
>died. Never had any other medical problems..

The wierd part of this is I didn't see him as close to little Katie.
He never spent much time with her and spent the little time beating
her up. This whole thing is just very confusing.

February 9th 07, 12:17 PM
He did have an xray. Would that have shown hairballs? He hasn't
shown a tendency for hairballs in the past, but one never knows.

On 8 Feb 2007 17:29:14 -0800, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

>On Feb 8, 7:05?pm, " >
>wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I need some suggestions.
>y seven year old male has lost most of his
>> appetite. e was never real hot on wet food but really loved his dry.
>Rob
>
>I hate to be so simplistic - but what about hairballs? Try some
>Temptations Treats for hairballs - about 10 a day and see if he
>doesn't come around. The older they get, the harder it is for them to
>process the fur that they lick and if he is grieving - stress can do
>all sorts of things.
>
>> His sister passed several weeks ago and he really went downhill at
>> that point. e doesn't really eat much at all. f we try something
>> new, he'll eat it once then not much after that. e adopted another
>> kitty last week in hopes of spunking him up, but they are in the
>> standoff stage. had him checked by the vet as I saw that he was
>> squating while urinating. he urinalysis has not come back yet but
>> the vet said he was looking good.
>ust in case, he is on prednisone
>> and an antibiotic.
esides being grief, does anyone have any
>> suggestions of what might be going on and how we can help him eat
>> more.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rob

Buddy's Mom
February 9th 07, 10:39 PM
I don't think hairballs show on an xray. As cats age, they are less
able to get rid of the hair that they swallow when they groom
themselves. It is an easy thing to treat. My cat loves Temptations
treats for hairballs and they work well. Can't hurt.

On Feb 9, 7:17�am, " >
wrote:
> He did have an xray. *Would that have shown hairballs? *He hasn't
> shown a tendency for hairballs in the past, but one never knows.
>
> On 8 Feb 2007 17:29:14 -0800, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>

> >On Feb 8, 7:05?pm, " >
> >wrote:
> >> All,
>
> >> I need some suggestions.
> >y seven year old male has lost most of his
> >> appetite. *e was never real hot on wet food but really loved his dry.
> >Rob
>
> >I hate to be so simplistic - but what about hairballs? *Try some
> >Temptations Treats for hairballs - about 10 a day and see if he
> >doesn't come around. *The older they get, the harder it is for them to
> >process the fur that they lick and if he is grieving - stress can do
> >all sorts of things.
>
> >> His sister passed several weeks ago and he really went downhill at
> >> that point. *e doesn't really eat much at all. * * * * f we try something
> >> new, he'll eat it once then not much after that. *e adopted another
> >> kitty last week in hopes of spunking him up, but they are in the
> >> standoff stage. * * * * had him checked by the vet as I saw that he was
> >> squating while urinating. *he urinalysis has not come back yet but
> >> the vet said he was looking good.
> >ust in case, he is on prednisone
> >> and an antibiotic.
>
> esides being grief, does anyone have any
>

> >> suggestions of what might be going on and how we can help him eat
> >> more.
>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Rob- Hide quoted text -

February 10th 07, 12:08 AM
On 9 Feb 2007 14:39:13 -0800, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

>I don't think hairballs show on an xray. As cats age, they are less
>able to get rid of the hair that they swallow when they groom
>themselves. It is an easy thing to treat. My cat loves Temptations
>treats for hairballs and they work well. Can't hurt.

I will try some Petramalt. The bloodwork came out ok and there were
only a few crystals in the urine. The vet is leaning towards anxiety
or stress. He's eating a tad better, but still not good.

Rob