PDA

View Full Version : URGENT ADVICE REQUIRED

sheelagh
February 9th 07, 10:43 AM
LILLY IS GRAVELY ILL, & MY VET HAS AGOLOGIESD FOR NOT ATTENDING HER
YESTERDAY WHILST SHE WAS IN HER CARE.

DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?

I NEED TO KNOW ASAP BECAUSE IF IT IS THE CASE, THEN I NEED TO TAKE HER
TO A VET THAT WILL OPERATE ON HER ASAP.

SHE HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PYOMETRA & IS IN A TERRIBLE STATE. NO ONE
HAS CARED FOR HER THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY.

THANK YOU:o(

cindys
February 9th 07, 02:00 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> LILLY IS GRAVELY ILL, & MY VET HAS AGOLOGIESD FOR NOT ATTENDING HER
> YESTERDAY WHILST SHE WAS IN HER CARE.

SHE HAD DAMNED WELL BETTER APOLOGIZE!!!!!! Did you tell her that her
apologies are cold comfort to Lilly's medical condition???

> DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
> COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?

Oh, my God, Sheelagh! I'm not from the UK, so I can't answer your question
about the laws, but at this point, I don't understand how whether or not the
vet is legally required to have someone covering is connected to taking her
to another vet. I am furious for you beyond words that a vet hospital would
have had a situation where no one was present to care for the animals, even
if the animals were all perfectly healthy and just being boarded. I wonder
if anyone on this group can recommend another place, although it may be too
stressful for Lilly to be moved at this point, especially considering that
the snow is so bad that people are having trouble getting to work.

> I NEED TO KNOW ASAP BECAUSE IF IT IS THE CASE, THEN I NEED TO TAKE HER
> TO A VET THAT WILL OPERATE ON HER ASAP.

If Lilly needs to be operated on ASAP, make it happen. Tell the new vet
upfront what happened at the other place and that under the circumstances
that you personally (or your husband or one of your children) would like to
personally be at her side (even 24 hours a day) at the vet hospital during
her recovery from surgery until you feel confident she is stable and on the
road to recovery. Promise that you will stay out of the staff's way. Yes, I
am sure that is totally going against "office policy" but I can tell you
that as a medical professional (not a vet), if I were a vet, I would permit
this under the circumstances, with the understanding that you would remove
yourself to the waiting room in the case of an emergency.

> SHE HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PYOMETRA & IS IN A TERRIBLE STATE. NO ONE
> HAS CARED FOR HER THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY.
>
> THANK YOU:o(

I am in tears again, over a cat I know only from a newsgroup. Right now, do
whatever you can to get Lilly better. Worry about lawsuits later. Purrs for
you and Lilly. Please keep posting updates.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

sheelagh
February 9th 07, 02:38 PM
On 9 Feb, 13:00, "cindys" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > LILLY IS GRAVELY ILL, & MY VET HAS AGOLOGIESD FOR NOT ATTENDING HER
> > YESTERDAY WHILST SHE WAS IN HER CARE.
>
> SHE HAD DAMNED WELL BETTER APOLOGIZE!!!!!! Did you tell her that her
> apologies are cold comfort to Lilly's medical condition???
>

> > DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
> > COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?
>
> Oh, my God, Sheelagh! I'm not from the UK, so I can't answer your question
> about the laws, but at this point, I don't understand how whether or not the
> vet is legally required to have someone covering is connected to taking her
> to another vet. I am furious for you beyond words that a vet hospital would
> have had a situation where no one was present to care for the animals, even
> if the animals were all perfectly healthy and just being boarded. I wonder
> if anyone on this group can recommend another place, although it may be too
> stressful for Lilly to be moved at this point, especially considering that
> the snow is so bad that people are having trouble getting to work.
>

> > I NEED TO KNOW ASAP BECAUSE IF IT IS THE CASE, THEN I NEED TO TAKE HER
> > TO A VET THAT WILL OPERATE ON HER ASAP.
>
> If Lilly needs to be operated on ASAP, make it happen. Tell the new vet
> upfront what happened at the other place and that under the circumstances
> that you personally (or your husband or one of your children) would like to
> personally be at her side (even 24 hours a day) at the vet hospital during
> her recovery from surgery until you feel confident she is stable and on the
> road to recovery. Promise that you will stay out of the staff's way. Yes, I
> am sure that is totally going against "office policy" but I can tell you
> that as a medical professional (not a vet), if I were a vet, I would permit
> this under the circumstances, with the understanding that you would remove
> yourself to the waiting room in the case of an emergency.
>

> > SHE HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PYOMETRA & IS IN A TERRIBLE STATE. NO ONE
> > HAS CARED FOR HER THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY.
>
> > THANK YOU:o(
>
> I am in tears again, over a cat I know only from a newsgroup. Right now, do
> whatever you can to get Lilly better. Worry about lawsuits later. Purrs for
> you and Lilly. Please keep posting updates.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

As we correspond, Lilly is having the ovariohysterectomy that she so
desperately needs. I would never dream of suing them whilst this is
going on, I was more interested in knowing my rights regarding
removing her from this particular vets care.
As I understand it, she had problems with her own animals yesterday,
which she told us voluntarily, & put them before her patients.
Whilst no one more than I can understand why she did it, it is
entirely possible that in doing so, she might have cost Lilly her
life.
What I needed to k ow was, can I take her to another vet during
treatment, because it appears that there is NO NIGHT [email protected] all, & if
she has other problems, I want reassurance that Lilly will never be
put through this again-Hence, Does she have to have cover by law ,or
can she come and go as she pleases?
I think that is terrible if it is the case.
No sod the lawsuits Cindy, it's my baby I am worried about.
I aplogogize if I didn't make that clear...
Please don't cry, there are too many tears being shed over a careless
vet here...although I thank you for the sentiment.
Someone has pointed out that she might have had a stoke, hence the
drooling??
I wondered if any one has any other theories?
Thank you for your kind sentiments Cindy & I will keep you informed as
soon as I hear it.
IF she should have had cover & someone there to watch over the
animals, then I do intend to make sure that no one else ever suffers
like Lilly & our family have, but that would be far off from now.
It's Lilly's rights that are important here.
I didn't really get the chance to move her, because by the time the
vet called me, she was in surgery opening her up....
I was, & still am in shock:o(
actually, you have helped me unknowingly- I intend to ring the cat
protection League , they will know & also have a local branch only a
few miles away which is handy.
I feel utterly disgusted & heart sick too.
More as I hear it. Thank Cindy!!
S.

cindys
February 9th 07, 03:04 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> As I understand it, she had problems with her own animals yesterday,
> which she told us voluntarily, & put them before her patients.
> Whilst no one more than I can understand why she did it, it is
> entirely possible that in doing so, she might have cost Lilly her
> life.
----------
I don't know how things work in the UK, but here in the USA, most practices
seem to have several doctors, not just one, and they cover for each other
(rural areas may be an exception). If your vet had a partner, the partner
could have been tending to the patients while your vet was dealing with her
own sick animals. The practice where I take my cats is very large (there are
probably at least a dozen different vets in the practice). My animals see
the same one all the time, but if an animal needs immediate attention on our
vet's day off, there is another vet always available. We ended up having our
dog euthanized on a Wednesday, which was our doctor's day off. Our dog was
in such bad shape that we were just waiting for the practice to open. He
couldn't have waited another day. So, one of the partners was available. On
other occasions, when our animals have had surgery, we have received daily
updates from our doctor, but on her day off, a different doctor phones. And
for the record, there would never ever ever be a circumstance where animals
were in the practice unattended. The hospital is always staffed with
technicians and nurses 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Even healthy animals
need to be fed, watered, stroked etc. If there are dogs, they need to be
walked multiple times each day. After this is over, please find another
practice that has 24-hour staff coverage and at least two doctors in the
practice. In the meantime, please let us know as soon as Lilly is out of
surgery and recovering. Some of us are sitting in front of our computers
checking for updates. The purrs will continue.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

sheelagh
February 9th 07, 03:18 PM
On 9 Feb, 14:04, "cindys" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > As I understand it, she had problems with her own animals yesterday,
> > which she told us voluntarily, & put them before her patients.
> > Whilst no one more than I can understand why she did it, it is
> > entirely possible that in doing so, she might have cost Lilly her
> > life.
>
> ----------
> I don't know how things work in the UK, but here in the USA, most practices
> seem to have several doctors, not just one, and they cover for each other
> (rural areas may be an exception). If your vet had a partner, the partner
> could have been tending to the patients while your vet was dealing with her
> own sick animals. The practice where I take my cats is very large (there are
> probably at least a dozen different vets in the practice). My animals see
> the same one all the time, but if an animal needs immediate attention on our
> vet's day off, there is another vet always available. We ended up having our
> dog euthanized on a Wednesday, which was our doctor's day off. Our dog was
> in such bad shape that we were just waiting for the practice to open. He
> couldn't have waited another day. So, one of the partners was available. On
> other occasions, when our animals have had surgery, we have received daily
> updates from our doctor, but on her day off, a different doctor phones. And
> for the record, there would never ever ever be a circumstance where animals
> were in the practice unattended. The hospital is always staffed with
> technicians and nurses 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Even healthy animals
> need to be fed, watered, stroked etc. If there are dogs, they need to be
> walked multiple times each day. After this is over, please find another
> practice that has 24-hour staff coverage and at least two doctors in the
> practice. In the meantime, please let us know as soon as Lilly is out of
> surgery and recovering. Some of us are sitting in front of our computers
> checking for updates. The purrs will continue.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

sheelagh
February 9th 07, 03:49 PM
On 9 Feb, 14:04, "cindys" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > As I understand it, she had problems with her own animals yesterday,
> > which she told us voluntarily, & put them before her patients.
> > Whilst no one more than I can understand why she did it, it is
> > entirely possible that in doing so, she might have cost Lilly her
> > life.
>
> ----------
> I don't know how things work in the UK, but here in the USA, most practices
> seem to have several doctors, not just one, and they cover for each other
> (rural areas may be an exception). If your vet had a partner, the partner
> could have been tending to the patients while your vet was dealing with her
> own sick animals. The practice where I take my cats is very large (there are
> probably at least a dozen different vets in the practice). My animals see
> the same one all the time, but if an animal needs immediate attention on our
> vet's day off, there is another vet always available. We ended up having our
> dog euthanized on a Wednesday, which was our doctor's day off. Our dog was
> in such bad shape that we were just waiting for the practice to open. He
> couldn't have waited another day. So, one of the partners was available. On
> other occasions, when our animals have had surgery, we have received daily
> updates from our doctor, but on her day off, a different doctor phones. And
> for the record, there would never ever ever be a circumstance where animals
> were in the practice unattended. The hospital is always staffed with
> technicians and nurses 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Even healthy animals
> need to be fed, watered, stroked etc. If there are dogs, they need to be
> walked multiple times each day. After this is over, please find another
> practice that has 24-hour staff coverage and at least two doctors in the
> practice. In the meantime, please let us know as soon as Lilly is out of
> surgery and recovering. Some of us are sitting in front of our computers
> checking for updates. The purrs will continue.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

you have been a wonderful support & great comfort to me all morning,
as has Big B too.
I can remember once reading a posting on here by another cat owner,
asking if anyone was awake, & a sarcastic reply telling her that the
world is always awake somewhere. It was so true!!
You were right with regard to springing Lilly..It was far too late, &
as I told you, Lilly was already on the table when the vet rang me. I
can't moan about that, other than to say it was 3days too late!!

This practise did use to have 2vetiery surgeons & 2practises as well,
but quite recently, the other practise was sold, so as far as I am
aware, there is only the one vet- Lola.
I also agree with you regarding the 24 hour care too, which is why i
wanted to know what the law required. For instance, what happens if
she ill, or she goes on holiday, or has other things to attend to.
(when she was away last time, there was another vet here), but sadly
it hasn't been the case in the last few days though, & I can't help
but wonder why?!! I am sure that this is not normal.
I think my best bet on information like this, might be bookie..she
seems to know a hell of a lot about things such as this. I will be
keeping an eye out for her later as she is probably @ work teaching
right now.
Making an appointment to see my own cat is a new one on me as well!!!!
This is why I can't help but feel that there is something very fishy
going on :o(
I have never heard of no night care either & I am, just as shocked as
you are. It is my intention to leave it until 15.30 GMT(London time),
then call to see what on earth is going on down there.
In some ways, I feel terribly guilty, because she has always helped
out with My waif and stray cats, however, it doesn't excuse what has
happened over the last 3days though. I am finding it ever so hard to
know how to handle it& also what to do .
Paul suggested that I should ask to see Lilly's care chart for last
night, & also the night previous too- & I am very tempted to do just
that, but also inside, my gut is telling me "Not" to do that, but to
be patient & see what the outcome is-then ask for the care charts when
she least expects me to?
I feel utterly incredulous....a trifle angry & very heartbroken that
it has come down to thinking like this. We did have a good working
relationship before this incident..but my heart also tells me that I
never thought I would ever have to ask for care sheets either- This
might be a blip, but it still doesn't excuse it, does it?
Thank you for your help and compassion -ALL of you too...
The moment I have any further news, I Promise that I will be straight
on line to tell you how Lilly is faring....assuming I am allowed to
see her of course! I TRUELY AM GOB - SMACKED.
You have no worries regarding me finding a new practise either Cindy,
I have already registered all of the cats in the surgery nearest in
the next town. It might be 10 miles away, but who cares??
They have a brilliant reputation, & they have a large practise so
there will never be a concern like this again, with 24 hour cover &
nurses too.
More than thanks for continued support
S.

cindys
February 9th 07, 04:13 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> you have been a wonderful support & great comfort to me all morning,
> as has Big B too.

I'm glad I could do something.

> I can remember once reading a posting on here by another cat owner,
> asking if anyone was awake, & a sarcastic reply telling her that the
> world is always awake somewhere. It was so true!!
> You were right with regard to springing Lilly..It was far too late, &
> as I told you, Lilly was already on the table when the vet rang me. I
> can't moan about that, other than to say it was 3days too late!!

Actually, don't feel bad that she's doing the surgery. Assuming Lola is a
competent surgeon, it was best to not delay Lilly's surgery for one more
minute than was necessary. Trying to move Lilly to another facility at this
point might have been a very bad idea.

> Paul suggested that I should ask to see Lilly's care chart for last
> night, & also the night previous too- & I am very tempted to do just
> that, but also inside, my gut is telling me "Not" to do that, but to
> be patient & see what the outcome is-then ask for the care charts when
> she least expects me to?

You are 100% correct. DO NOT ROCK THE BOAT until Lilly has recovered, and
you have her safely at home. After the fact, when you move your cats to the
new facility, the new facility will request the chart, and then you will be
able to see it. If Lola asks why you made the switch, I would tell her the
truth at that point. But not now. Wait until Lilly is safe at home.

> I feel utterly incredulous....a trifle angry & very heartbroken that
> it has come down to thinking like this. We did have a good working
> relationship before this incident..but my heart also tells me that I
> never thought I would ever have to ask for care sheets either- This
> might be a blip, but it still doesn't excuse it, does it?

Not at all. See my comments above. I can tell you that at veterinary
practice I use, I can see any of my animals' charts, any time, and I have.
People ask to see their animals' charts all the time, and no one even blinks
an eye.

> Thank you for your help and compassion -ALL of you too...
> The moment I have any further news, I Promise that I will be straight
> on line to tell you how Lilly is faring....assuming I am allowed to
> see her of course! I TRUELY AM GOB - SMACKED.
> You have no worries regarding me finding a new practise either Cindy,
> I have already registered all of the cats in the surgery nearest in
> the next town. It might be 10 miles away, but who cares??
> They have a brilliant reputation, & they have a large practise so
> there will never be a concern like this again, with 24 hour cover &
> nurses too.
> More than thanks for continued support
> S.

I'll be watching for further updates.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Lynne
February 9th 07, 04:38 PM
on Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:49:09 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> I also agree with you regarding the 24 hour care too, which is why i
> wanted to know what the law required. For instance, what happens if
> she ill, or she goes on holiday, or has other things to attend to.
> (when she was away last time, there was another vet here), but sadly
> it hasn't been the case in the last few days though, & I can't help
> but wonder why?!! I am sure that this is not normal.

I understand your rage and fear, but maybe this was a horrible anomaly
because of the snow? When Lily is better and home with you and you are
able to be calm (though I don't know if I could be in this case), perhaps
you can sit down with your vet and discuss your concerns.

--
Lynne

sheelagh
February 9th 07, 05:21 PM
On 9 Feb, 15:38, Lynne > wrote:
> on Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:49:09 GMT, "sheelagh"
>
> > wrote:
> > I also agree with you regarding the 24 hour care too, which is why i
> > wanted to know what the law required. For instance, what happens if
> > she ill, or she goes on holiday, or has other things to attend to.
> > (when she was away last time, there was another vet here), but sadly
> > it hasn't been the case in the last few days though, & I can't help
> > but wonder why?!! I am sure that this is not normal.
>
> I understand your rage and fear, but maybe this was a horrible anomaly
> because of the snow? When Lily is better and home with you and you are
> able to be calm (though I don't know if I could be in this case), perhaps
> you can sit down with your vet and discuss your concerns.
>
> --
> Lynne

lilly out of surgery, no details yet, visiting at half 5 GMT.

and more details later,

thanks for the support

Dave Whiley
February 9th 07, 07:09 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
> COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?

As far as I know, the only thing the *law* requires is that anyone who
practises as a veterinary surgeon must have a licence, which in turn means
that they have to be approved by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
(http://www.rcvs.org.uk).

See Guide to Professional Conduct, which does require vets to "take steps"
to provide 24hr cover for any species they normally treat during office
hours - this might involve an arrangement with another practice or a locum,
but it certainly sounds as though they should have cover. Dealing with
failure to provide cover is probably a matter of internal discipline rather
than law..

Talking to Cats Protection seems like a good idea, Citizens Advice Bureau or
Trading Standards might be able to offer advice too - there might be a
remedy in civil law.

[I Am Not A Lawyer, so everything above is just my opinion!]

But the really important thing is that Lilly's problems get sorted out -
virtual purrs on their way.

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

Rhonda
February 9th 07, 07:17 PM
Just saw this -- I have my fingers crossed, Shelagh.

Rhonda

sheelagh wrote:

> lilly out of surgery, no details yet, visiting at half 5 GMT.
>
> and more details later,
>
> thanks for the support

bookie
February 9th 07, 08:34 PM
On 9 Feb, 14:49, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> [...]
> it has come down to thinking like this. We did have a good working
> relationship before this incident..but my heart also tells me that I
> never thought I would ever have to ask for care sheets either- This
> might be a blip, but it still doesn't excuse it, does it?
> Thank you for your help and compassion -ALL of you too...
> The moment I have any further news, I Promise that I will be straight
> on line to tell you how Lilly is faring....assuming I am allowed to
> see her of course! I TRUELY AM GOB - SMACKED.
> You have no worries regarding me finding a new practise either Cindy,
> I have already registered all of the cats in the surgery nearest in
> the next town. It might be 10 miles away, but who cares??
> They have a brilliant reputation, & they have a large practise so
> there will never be a concern like this again, with 24 hour cover &

just one thing; I have never rung a vets before giong to see my
animal, because as far as I am concerned I am paying the bills and if
i wish to see my baby I am entitled to do so and also by turning up
unannounced i can see the place in all it's glory and how they are
keepign my cat without giving them a chance to clean up or prepare. If
a vet does not like then they have something to hide as far as I am
concerned and I find a new vet, simple.

do not apologise for feeling angry ro upset over this, you have every
right to be angry as hell, and every right to express your feelings
towards the vet who has let you and your cat down in your hour of
need, after all you are PAYING for her services which have obviously
fallen short of your not unreasonable expectations. Your vet needs to
know she has not been providing a good enough service for her own
good so she can rememdy this is the future (if she can be bothered).

i always go to a larger practise too so there are a number vets
available for covering emergencies and for a second opinion, even if
this means driving to another town it is wiorth it to me. I know this
sounds like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but it
is somethign to consider for next time.

anyway i am going to look for some kind of legislation on vet
responsibilites and codes of practise but you can contact the royal
vet college too as they will give you good advice www.rvc.ac.uk and
royal college of vet surgeons www.rcvs.org.uk

best of luck
bookie

bookie
February 9th 07, 08:46 PM
On 9 Feb, 18:09, "Dave Whiley" <[email protected]
whiley.WOSSNAMEfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>[i]
> > DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
> > COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?
>
> As far as I know, the only thing the *law* requires is that anyone who
> practises as a veterinary surgeon must have a licence, which in turn means
> that they have to be approved by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
> (http://www.rcvs.org.uk).
>
> See Guide to Professional Conduct, which does require vets to "take steps"
> to provide 24hr cover for any species they normally treat during office
> hours - this might involve an arrangement with another practice or a locum,
> but it certainly sounds as though they should have cover. Dealing with
> failure to provide cover is probably a matter of internal discipline rather
> than law..
>
> Talking to Cats Protection seems like a good idea, Citizens Advice Bureau or
> Trading Standards might be able to offer advice too - there might be a
> remedy in civil law.
>

> But the really important thing is that Lilly's problems get sorted out -
> virtual purrs on their way.
>
> --
> Dave
>
> not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

ah! someone else has provided you with royal vet surgeon colleges site
anyway, good. even if there is no remedy in criminal law there may be
in civil law in terms of negligence, failing to provide adequate care
or breaking a contract (the one that your vet makes with you when you
hand over you cat that she will be properly looked after and cared
for) but best to talk to a lawyer specialising in personal injury over
this. i woudl say that breaking a contract or similar based on fact
that you hand over lilly under the assumption that she will be
monitored 24hrs a day woudl be your best bet.

ANYWAY apart from that if yoru vet is foudn to be breakgin any codes
of professional conduct laid down by the RCVS then they wil no doubt
discipline her themselves and her ability to practise as a vet willed
be called into question, which will not do her reputation as a decent
vet much good, much like the GMC considering whether to have a doctor
struck off for negligence or unporfessional behaviour. please do nto
feel in the slightest bit guilty or timid about making a complaint
about this to the governing body, they are there for this, to maintain
the highest standards fo conduct amongst their members and they need
to know if things are going wrong with their members; their
reputations is on the line too and they will not be happy if one of
their vets is not acting in accordance with their codes. Remember;
animals lives are at stake and you would be doing it for the welfare
of animals as well as your own.

again fingers crossed for Lilly, give us some news as soon as you
know, bookie

ps I am so so angry, wish I had logged on earlier today and knew about
this earlier

pps am going to talk to a few college friends who are vets themselves
now and ask what they think

sheelagh
February 9th 07, 08:47 PM
On 9 Feb, 18:09, "Dave Whiley" <[email protected]
whiley.WOSSNAMEfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>[i]
> > DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
> > COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?
>
> As far as I know, the only thing the *law* requires is that anyone who
> practises as a veterinary surgeon must have a licence, which in turn means
> that they have to be approved by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
> (http://www.rcvs.org.uk).
>
> See Guide to Professional Conduct, which does require vets to "take steps"
> to provide 24hr cover for any species they normally treat during office
> hours - this might involve an arrangement with another practice or a locum,
> but it certainly sounds as though they should have cover. Dealing with
> failure to provide cover is probably a matter of internal discipline rather
> than law..
>
> Talking to Cats Protection seems like a good idea, Citizens Advice Bureau or
> Trading Standards might be able to offer advice too - there might be a
> remedy in civil law.
>

> But the really important thing is that Lilly's problems get sorted out -
> virtual purrs on their way.
>
> --
> Dave
>
> not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for anyossname

Thank you for the advice Dave, I really have been grateful for all the
thoughts, Idea's, & support that I have received from everyone
today,particualrly Ciny who has put up with my every fright & big B
too,
Also, Thanks to Rhonda before you too
I would hate anyone to think I didn't mention them for any reason,
other than there have been so many of you.
The purrs have been *very soothing indeed* & I know for a fact that
Lilly appreciates them because I have just been to visit her post
operative.
I meant to take my camera to get a few shots of her, but forgot to in
my hurry to rush out of the door of course!!
I did manage to take one or two on my mobile phone which I am trying
to process right now so that I can post them to you. I got told off
for taking them without asking too, OOOPS!
I will take all of the advice that you mention Dave because it seems
that the standard of this surgery most definitely falls very short of
the standards you describe.
Poor old Lil...She got through the op fine, but vet a bit worried
about a pocket of what she thinks is air in her gut showing up on the
xray. She has had an an-enema (prob spelt wrong, soz)..& she also
thinks we might have hit septecimia too:( Lil is currently on all
sorts of antibiotics, a drip for dehydration, & I took the liberty of
reading her care sheets whilst Ross & I were alone (my son)..there is
no night care at all because I searched for it, & the last Ob's are
taken @ 5pm in the afternoon!!!!!! Till 8 am the following
morning:o( TERRIBLE, But what can I do?
Lil was DELIGHTED to see us & started dribbling immediately when she
saw us. Although sedated, she crawled towards the front of her cage &
we took 45 mins of cuddles until we were thrown out @ closing time.
She purred for the UK & the USA To hear too of course &started
kneading her towel that we took in there for her as well.
I took the liberty of asking the vet if it was possible that she might
have had a stroke & her reply was no, also asked what the prognosis
was and she said that she was optimistic, but couldn't promise
anything.
Her eyes were gunky, & she was a bit if a mess, but it was utterly
joyous to see her & I am certain that she felt the same way too.
I am typing in haste because my son is due to meet the girlfriend on
line.. you know how it is,lol?!!!
I promise to post the rest of the details later in better description
and the rest of the story as well. I don't think I can bare the
thought of leaving her there all weekend on her own especially on
Sunday as no one is there at all:(
Be back on line in about an hour or so...
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED, YOU HAVE GOT ME THROUGH THE WORST
DAY IN MY LIFE....
Best Wishes,
S;o)

bookie
February 9th 07, 09:09 PM
> I did manage to take one or two on my mobile phone which I am trying
> to process right now so that I can post them to you. I got told off
> for taking them without asking too, OOOPS!

er...why?!!!??? what is their problem with you taking some photos of
her? she is YOUR animal, YOU are paying the bills that keep them in
business, really sounds to me like they have something to hide.

very glad to hear she is through the op but not that she may be left
alone and unmonitored through sunday, can you demand to know why? if
there are no nurses there can you be there instead? do they have a
problem with this?
i am still livid

bookie

cindys
February 9th 07, 09:17 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ps.com...

snip
> I did manage to take one or two on my mobile phone which I am trying
> to process right now so that I can post them to you. I got told off
> for taking them without asking too, OOOPS!

Too flipping bad if Lola didn't like it. Is she afraid you might use them as
evidence for your lawsuit????

> I will take all of the advice that you mention Dave because it seems
> that the standard of this surgery most definitely falls very short of
> the standards you describe.
> Poor old Lil...She got through the op fine, but vet a bit worried
> about a pocket of what she thinks is air in her gut showing up on the
> xray. She has had an an-enema (prob spelt wrong, soz)..& she also
> thinks we might have hit septecimia too:( Lil is currently on all
> sorts of antibiotics, a drip for dehydration, & I took the liberty of
> reading her care sheets whilst Ross & I were alone (my son)..there is
> no night care at all because I searched for it, & the last Ob's are
> taken @ 5pm in the afternoon!!!!!! Till 8 am the following
> morning:o( TERRIBLE, But what can I do?

Unfortunately, you can't do anything at this point... It would probably be
very dangerous to bring her home...unless you could take her and drive her
immediately to the other veterinary practice ? Is there any chance of that
at all?

> Lil was DELIGHTED to see us & started dribbling immediately when she
> saw us. Although sedated, she crawled towards the front of her cage &
> we took 45 mins of cuddles until we were thrown out @ closing time.
> She purred for the UK & the USA To hear too of course &started
> kneading her towel that we took in there for her as well.
> I took the liberty of asking the vet if it was possible that she might
> have had a stroke & her reply was no, also asked what the prognosis
> was and she said that she was optimistic, but couldn't promise
> anything.

It would have been a hell of a lot more *optimistic* if she had operated
three days ago!

> Her eyes were gunky, & she was a bit if a mess, but it was utterly
> joyous to see her & I am certain that she felt the same way too.
> I am typing in haste because my son is due to meet the girlfriend on
> line.. you know how it is,lol?!!!
> I promise to post the rest of the details later in better description
> and the rest of the story as well. I don't think I can bare the
> thought of leaving her there all weekend on her own especially on
> Sunday as no one is there at all:(

That really frightens me. Is there any way you could spring her tomorrow
(Saturday) and take her to the other vet hospital? Please don't leave her
there alone on Sunday if you have any choice at all.

> Be back on line in about an hour or so...
> THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED, YOU HAVE GOT ME THROUGH THE WORST
> DAY IN MY LIFE....
> Best Wishes,
> S;o)

I will only be on-line for another couple of hours, then I won't be on again
until tomorrow night. I won't be able to stop thinking about Lilly the
entire weekend.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Rhonda
February 9th 07, 09:36 PM
cindys wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
>>Her eyes were gunky, & she was a bit if a mess, but it was utterly
>>joyous to see her & I am certain that she felt the same way too.
>>I am typing in haste because my son is due to meet the girlfriend on
>>line.. you know how it is,lol?!!!
>>I promise to post the rest of the details later in better description
>>and the rest of the story as well. I don't think I can bare the
>>thought of leaving her there all weekend on her own especially on
>>Sunday as no one is there at all:(
>
> That really frightens me. Is there any way you could spring her tomorrow
> (Saturday) and take her to the other vet hospital? Please don't leave her
> there alone on Sunday if you have any choice at all.

Actually, if she's only on antibiotics and a drip for dehydration, she
can do that at home. Sub-cu fluids are pretty easy to do, and takes 10
minutes or so. Some people don't like putting in the needle (not my
favorite) but maybe someone else in the house can do that too. You just
hold up the skin in a tent and stick it right under the skin.

Also, she could be taken into an emergency hospital just for the sub-cu
fluids once a day, if you don't want to do it at home. She may even
start drinking much more on her own when she is home. We've also taken
wet food and blended it with more water to make sure extra liquids are
going in.

Best of luck to Lilly,

Rhonda

cindys
February 9th 07, 09:44 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message

snip

> Actually, if she's only on antibiotics and a drip for dehydration, she can
> do that at home. Sub-cu fluids are pretty easy to do, and takes 10 minutes
> or so. Some people don't like putting in the needle (not my favorite) but
> maybe someone else in the house can do that too. You just hold up the skin
> in a tent and stick it right under the skin.
>
> Also, she could be taken into an emergency hospital just for the sub-cu
> fluids once a day, if you don't want to do it at home. She may even start
> drinking much more on her own when she is home. We've also taken wet food
> and blended it with more water to make sure extra liquids are going in.
------------
What you say is true. I agree. Sheelagh, are you listening??....spring that
cat and take her home!!!
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Alan
February 10th 07, 02:00 AM
Get a grip.
Vet not doing what you are paying for?
Not satistfied with the service?
Grab the cat, take your business elsewhere and make doubledog sure EVERYBODY
you know gets an accurate account of what happened.
Just desserts will soon follow.
Veterinary service is like any other business, if done poorly folks will go
elsewhere.
Hope all works out with your critter.
Alan
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> LILLY IS GRAVELY ILL, & MY VET HAS AGOLOGIESD FOR NOT ATTENDING HER
> YESTERDAY WHILST SHE WAS IN HER CARE.
>
> DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
> COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?
>
> I NEED TO KNOW ASAP BECAUSE IF IT IS THE CASE, THEN I NEED TO TAKE HER
> TO A VET THAT WILL OPERATE ON HER ASAP.
>
> SHE HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PYOMETRA & IS IN A TERRIBLE STATE. NO ONE
> HAS CARED FOR HER THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY.
>
> THANK YOU:o(

bookie
February 10th 07, 02:42 AM
On 10 Feb, 01:00, "Alan" > wrote:
> Get a grip.
> Vet not doing what you are paying for?
> Not satistfied with the service?
> Grab the cat, take your business elsewhere and make doubledog sure EVERYBODY
> you know gets an accurate account of what happened.
> Just desserts will soon follow.
> Veterinary service is like any other business, if done poorly folks will go
> elsewhere.
> Hope all works out with your critter.
> Alan"sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > LILLY IS GRAVELY ILL, & MY VET HAS AGOLOGIESD FOR NOT ATTENDING HER
> > YESTERDAY WHILST SHE WAS IN HER CARE.
>
> > DOES ANONE FROM THE UK KNOW WHETHER A VET IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO HAVE
> > COVER WHEN THEY DON'T ATTEND WORK PLEASE?
>
> > I NEED TO KNOW ASAP BECAUSE IF IT IS THE CASE, THEN I NEED TO TAKE HER
> > TO A VET THAT WILL OPERATE ON HER ASAP.
>
> > SHE HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PYOMETRA & IS IN A TERRIBLE STATE. NO ONE
> > HAS CARED FOR HER THE DAY BEFORE YESTERDAY.
>
> > THANK YOU:o(
> > S- Hide quoted text -

i agree with that too, you are paying for this vets services which are
obviously not good enough it seems, so if you are not happy you shoudl
say so and do something about it. YOU are in charge here, it is YOUR
money YOUR cat and mos of all YOUR choice, they should be damn well
grateful for your business at all, remember that the customer is
always right (well mostly) and shoudl be the one calling the shots.
if you are not happy with the way things are going, and remember that
we are talking about a life here not just being dissatisfied with a
haircut or restaurant service, you have the right to take your
business elsewhere and DO NOT feel guilty about that or that you have
not done the right thing.

please take lilly away, contact another vets immediately and see if
they will dot he post op care if you feel you cannot do so at home

and as well as that please make sure that EVERYONE knows why you are
doing this, make this event common knowledge, if needs be go to the
local press, if that doesn't make this rubbish vet buck her ideas up
and sort out her practise and the level of care she provides for in-
patients nothing will. Nothing like the prospect of hurting someone's
business and wallet to make them sit up and change their ways. Not
just that but it is something you should do as a service to other
people with pets in the area who need to know what is what, you could
prevent something serious or fatal happening to someone else's animal
if you spread the word. Think of it as a service to the community and
not an act of revenge.

bookie