PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: My 11 year old needs to gain weight

Nany4Baby
February 9th 07, 11:29 PM
My 11 year old Muted-Tortie Point Siamese, Clawdia (female, spayed)
has lost a lot of weight in the last 6 months. She has been to the vet
and they agree that they would like her to gain some weight. She used
to weigh around 9 lbs, Which the vet thought was ideal. She currently
weighs just under 8lbs. They have not been able to provide any really
good advice on this - annoying really - and she is very healthy
otherwise - no underlying concerns - her kidneys, heart, etc. are all
fine.

I was wondering if Kitten food - wet - would be a good option, and or
jarred human baby food as an extra treat once a day.

Her kidneys were borderline for kidney failure about 1.5 years ago, so
we had switched all of the cats to Purina NF dry - but they have since
told us to go back to normal food.

I have heard good things about Science Diet dry - they currently get
Friskies but I am willing to buy more expensive food if it will help
get her to gain some weight and be healthier!!

So...sorry for the long winded post - but any ideas of food options -
must be able to purchase as I don't, unfortunately have the time to
"make it from scratch" - especially since we have 4 cats! brands,
types - kitten, senior, adult, etc. Would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

Chandra, and Her Royal Highness, The Empress Clawdia

Gail
February 10th 07, 02:43 AM
Was she tested for hyperactive thyroid? My tonkinese has lost some wt
(everything tested out fine in his blood work) and I am giving him meated
baby food (no onion) each morning.
Gail
"Nany4Baby" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My 11 year old Muted-Tortie Point Siamese, Clawdia (female, spayed)
> has lost a lot of weight in the last 6 months. She has been to the vet
> and they agree that they would like her to gain some weight. She used
> to weigh around 9 lbs, Which the vet thought was ideal. She currently
> weighs just under 8lbs. They have not been able to provide any really
> good advice on this - annoying really - and she is very healthy
> otherwise - no underlying concerns - her kidneys, heart, etc. are all
> fine.
>
> I was wondering if Kitten food - wet - would be a good option, and or
> jarred human baby food as an extra treat once a day.
>
> Her kidneys were borderline for kidney failure about 1.5 years ago, so
> we had switched all of the cats to Purina NF dry - but they have since
> told us to go back to normal food.
>
> I have heard good things about Science Diet dry - they currently get
> Friskies but I am willing to buy more expensive food if it will help
> get her to gain some weight and be healthier!!
>
> So...sorry for the long winded post - but any ideas of food options -
> must be able to purchase as I don't, unfortunately have the time to
> "make it from scratch" - especially since we have 4 cats! brands,
> types - kitten, senior, adult, etc. Would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Chandra, and Her Royal Highness, The Empress Clawdia

Nany4Baby
February 10th 07, 08:01 AM
Hi Gail,

Yeah, unfortunately it's not anything like that - because she is a
"senior" cat she has a full "geri" panel done every 6 months and
everything has been coming back nice and clean. Not that I'd want her
to have any probloems, but it'd at least give us a reason for the
weight loss. we often give her (or try giving her) turkey or chicken
gerbers 2nd stage baby food (no onion) - she likes it and accepts it
for awhile, then turns her nose up at it - or buries it and we go back
to straight wet friskies.

Thanks for the insight!!

Chandra, and Her Royal Highness, The Empress Clawdia

Moongal
February 10th 07, 12:16 PM
I'm trying to get one of my cats to gain weight too. It's hard, I know how
frustrating it can be. My guy is just over 5lbs, he has CRF.

I don't have any suggestions on what kind of food to feed your cat, but I
can share a couple of things that I have done that have worked to increase
my cats food intake. I feed him more times, with smaller portions of wet
food. Also, a few minutes after he is done eating, if I pet him a lot and
get him really content, I can bring him back to his food and he'll eat some
more. I can usually do this 2 or 3 times with one of his meals and it
probably doubles what he'll eat normally.

"Nany4Baby" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My 11 year old Muted-Tortie Point Siamese, Clawdia (female, spayed)
> has lost a lot of weight in the last 6 months. She has been to the vet
> and they agree that they would like her to gain some weight. She used
> to weigh around 9 lbs, Which the vet thought was ideal. She currently
> weighs just under 8lbs. They have not been able to provide any really
> good advice on this - annoying really - and she is very healthy
> otherwise - no underlying concerns - her kidneys, heart, etc. are all
> fine.
>
> I was wondering if Kitten food - wet - would be a good option, and or
> jarred human baby food as an extra treat once a day.
>
> Her kidneys were borderline for kidney failure about 1.5 years ago, so
> we had switched all of the cats to Purina NF dry - but they have since
> told us to go back to normal food.
>
> I have heard good things about Science Diet dry - they currently get
> Friskies but I am willing to buy more expensive food if it will help
> get her to gain some weight and be healthier!!
>
> So...sorry for the long winded post - but any ideas of food options -
> must be able to purchase as I don't, unfortunately have the time to
> "make it from scratch" - especially since we have 4 cats! brands,
> types - kitten, senior, adult, etc. Would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Chandra, and Her Royal Highness, The Empress Clawdia

Lynne
February 10th 07, 03:39 PM
on Fri, 09 Feb 2007 23:29:20 GMT, "Nany4Baby" > wrote:

> I was wondering if Kitten food - wet - would be a good option, and or
> jarred human baby food as an extra treat once a day.

I would go with the kitten food over the human baby food. Cat and kitten
food have added taurine and other essential ingredients that are not in
human food. An occasional treat of human baby food is okay, but making it
a constant part of any cat's diet just isn't a good idea. If you can get
her to eat the kitten food, she will probably gain or at least stop losing
weight.

My older cat thinks that Nutro kitten food is yummy, and he got very fat on
that, even though it wasn't put out for him. (He is currently losing
weight on Innova Evo.)

--
Lynne

Jenta
February 10th 07, 05:19 PM
On Feb 9, 5:29 pm, "Nany4Baby" > wrote:
> My 11 year old Muted-Tortie Point Siamese, Clawdia (female, spayed)
> has lost a lot of weight in the last 6 months. She has been to the vet
> and they agree that they would like her to gain some weight. She used
> to weigh around 9 lbs, Which the vet thought was ideal. She currently
> weighs just under 8lbs. They have not been able to provide any really
> good advice on this - annoying really - and she is very healthy
> otherwise - no underlying concerns - her kidneys, heart, etc. are all
> fine.
>
> I was wondering if Kitten food - wet - would be a good option, and or
> jarred human baby food as an extra treat once a day.
>
> Her kidneys were borderline for kidney failure about 1.5 years ago, so
> we had switched all of the cats to Purina NF dry - but they have since
> told us to go back to normal food.
>
> I have heard good things about Science Diet dry - they currently get
> Friskies but I am willing to buy more expensive food if it will help
> get her to gain some weight and be healthier!!
>
> So...sorry for the long winded post - but any ideas of food options -
> must be able to purchase as I don't, unfortunately have the time to
> "make it from scratch" - especially since we have 4 cats! brands,
> types - kitten, senior, adult, etc. Would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Chandra, and Her Royal Highness, The Empress Clawdia

Has your cat been tested for diabetes. Its also another sign of weight
lost. I just put my cat down becuase he got too skinny because he had
a thyroid problem. its been barely a week. I gave him dry kitten food
to help him. it seemed to work for a little bit until the disease got
worse. Best of luck
Jenna

Nany4Baby
February 10th 07, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I will double check with her vet before
I change anything, but I will try all techniques offered - I knew I
had posted iin the right place!!! You guys all rock!!!

Moongal - Clawdia is a bit of an attention monger, so sitting and
petting her is EASY! I don't know if I can get her to go back for
more, but i'll certainly try it, just in case! Thanks!

Lynne - It's funny you say that, I always thought the same thing, but
our vet (who only cares for cats) recommended the baby food first, but
I would still think kitten food is better in the long run - LOL about
your older cat liking the kitten food and gaiining weight on it -
gives me hope for my skin & bones little Clawdia!! Thanks!

Jenna - Thanks, yes. Claw has been tested for everything. Since she is
over 11 they give her a full Geriatric panel (all blood tests and
general exam, etc.) every 6 months. As of her last panel in December
(wel after she had started losing the weight) she had no kidney
failure, they were back in normal range, not borderline; no diabetes,
no thyroid problems, just the weight loss problem.

Thanks again everyone, I will try to update you in a month or two if
we make some progress!

Chandra, and Her Royal Highness, The Empress Clawdia