PDA

View Full Version : Lilly has been sprung from jail & is liberated


sheelagh
February 10th 07, 05:42 PM
Wow, what a day it has been...All the action kicked off @ 9.30am when
the vet turned up for work. Both Paul & I were waiting for her because
we were determined to sort out what was going to happen to poor old
Lilly over the weekend as we were already aware that there would be no
one there to care for her from 12pm today, until 8 am on Monday
morning.
We had already called the Cat Protection League, to ask if we were
allowed to ask for our cat back & they told us that it was our right
to , & if we encountered any problems, that we should call the
police...So baring that in mind.....

We had already spent hours trying to figure out what the best thing to
do might be, & came to the conclusion that shouting our heads off was
going to get us no where...So we tried diplomacy, much as It wrankled
me to do so....

I started by greeting her & asking if we might see Lilly for a little
while, which she agreed to. After a few minutes that it took for Paul
to read her care plan and care sheet's, we were both in agreement
that* We Had To Get Her OUT NOW*!!

Having already called the Cromwell Clinic in Huntingdon, our nearest
town to ask if they might take over her care because we were concerned
about the fact that the clinic she was currently in, didn't offer 24
hour care Which we felt was vitally important as she was only 24 hours
out of a very serious operation.
The clinic welcomed gladly & knowing this, we set to work on the vet.
We started by asking what care Lilly would receive over the weekend, &
she told us that she would try & pop in tomorrow to make sure that
Lilly had clean water, food and & blankets too (Note: No litter???)

At this point we expressed our concerns regarding this matter, & asked
her if she would mind terribly if we were to move her to a surgery
where they had 24 hour care because we felt that she needed it. Couple
that with the fact that it might make her weekend easier as Lilly was
her only cell mate, she agreed that she wouldn't mind.

I could whooped for joy because I had been dreading that moment all
last night & this morning!!

It took us roughly 5 minutes to load her up, I.v ,and all her care
notes & got to the desk to collect all of her other notes her notes
and to be handed the bill for her care thus far...
I am dying to tell you what the bill was because I nearly fell through
the concrete floor, SERIOUSLY!!
(you must bare in mind that she spent 2 nights there, had an xray & I
was told that she charged £45 to spay a cat, plus her antibiotics!
injection, & 4pills to take with us)
The Grand Total came to £367.34!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I nearly had a a heart attack!
If you convert that into $, I suppose it would be around $680
I couldn't believe my ears......

I settled £150 because that was what I had on me @ the time, & walked
out the door to freedom, by which time Lilly was nearly squeezing
through the wicker basket to get to us because she was SO HAPPY:o)

We took her straight down to the Cromwell Surgery & they looked at her
the moment we walked through the door;in fact there was a vet waiting
for us there!!
After a 20minute thorough inspection of her, & her notes too, the vet
looked at me & said "you know a fair amount about cat's, don't you"?

I admitted I knew a little, so he took both Paul & I into another
consulting room & told us that he was going to show us how to set her
drip up & that as long as we were happy & confident, that he thought
the best place for her, would be at home...

It was getting better by the moment.
We went in & within 5 Min's I had managed to insert the line and had
her onto antibiotics and re hydration drip too; we were told to only
use the hydration drip if she didn't drink orally (which I note the
previous vet had charged me £24.26!!)
He injected Lilly with marbocyl1% & also gave us the antibiotics that
she needed, but orally, because in all of the time that we spent @ the
Cromwell..Lilly nearly drank 1/2 a pint of water..!!
( he gave us more Marbocyl @20 mg)
So roughly an hour later, we paid the bill for the injection, the
antibiotics to give her orally & the consultation fee.
Broken down that was:
consultation £15
Marbocyl inj £4
Tablets(same as above)££7.20
Bloods £31.90
& drip in case of need
Cristapen 600mg £4
A grand total of £ 62.10.

Slightly different from the other bill I would say...
Mind you she did the op which cost us £159
xray£37
and the rest was for consultation ,antibiotics,
CARE @ NIGHT???? & other drugs and fees too...

We thanked the vet @ the Cromwell, then settled the bill in full &
jumped straight in the car & brought her home....
We have to take her back to the Cromwell in 3 days & they will take
her stitches out, but after that she should be fine.
Thankfully there appears to be no post op infection, but if we even
feel slightly concerned or worried, we can take her down to them, or
they will come out to see her, whichever we would prefer.
I can't believe the difference in the relationship between the patient
and vet, or the facilities either.

I can honestly say that is the best thing that we have ever done to
help our cats. & the saying you don't know what your missing if you
have never had it ,comes to mind. It was like entering a different
world, truely it was.

Since bringing Lilly home she has been so happy..all of the other cats
wanted to be near her of course, but we have set up a little separate
area for her, so that she has the peace an quite that she needs,. Her
own litter which she gladly hoped straight on to, too!!
She wolfed down a bowl full of whiskers , then got straight on to a
nice bowl of dry Iams as well- Boy she was hungry!!

I can't help but wonder why the previous vet would have kept her caged
and penned for the weekend if it was not to charge me for it.
Perhaps my opinion is a bit distorted given recent events, but she had
no intention of allowing her home to us, & if there was going to be no
one there, I couldn't see the point of keeping her for anything else?
I am just pleased that it is all over now & that she will make a full
recovery. she seems delighted to be home and I can assure you that we
are delighted to have her too
I DO have to admit, that all the way to huntingdon Paul was muttering
away under his breath thing's like, Bloody Cats...costs more than the
damned cat did...She can swing for it...& several other unmentionable
things, but I can see by Lilly drapped all over him right now that it
couldn't have been that terrible or he would never have helped me
spring her out of jail, lol
She is still dribbling everywhere but the Cromwell think that she does
in fact have a touch of Flu as we suspected
HAIL LIILY THE BRAVE...A HAPPY ENDING TO TO A TERRIBLE STORY
& Thanks to all of you for your support too..
You have all been brilliant in the small hours of the morning
Soothing Purrs to you all compliments of Lilly- Pads the brave
S;o)
Ps: I have added a few photos for you to look at if you would like to.
Some of them are of our normal Lilly, the others are of her this
afternoon after we brought her home too

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/LillyIsSprungFromJail

22brix
February 10th 07, 05:53 PM
Fabulous! Cats do sooo much better at home! That vet shouldn't be allowed
to practice if that's the kind of care she gives. She should be reported to
which ever agency licenses vets in the UK. What she did is malpractise pure
and simple. I don't know why she wouldn't give her antibiotics.

I'm really really happy for Lilly and you after such a nightmare!

Hugs and purrs from me and my troop of cats!

bonnie

sheelagh
February 10th 07, 06:03 PM
On 10 Feb, 17:53, "22brix" > wrote:
> Fabulous! Cats do sooo much better at home! That vet shouldn't be allowed
> to practice if that's the kind of care she gives. She should be reported to
> which ever agency licenses vets in the UK. What she did is malpractise pure
> and simple. I don't know why she wouldn't give her antibiotics.
>
> I'm really really happy for Lilly and you after such a nightmare!
>
> Hugs and purrs from me and my troop of cats!
>
> bonnie

Oh, believe me , I have every intention as soon as Lilly is better!!
In fact the Cromwell surgery recommended that we did & are willing to
support our case too!!
I am just pleased that she is alive quite frankly
& having her home is like a dream.
Unfortunately she has gained a nick name...it is Slobber chops,lol!!
S;o)

Lynne
February 10th 07, 06:05 PM
Sheelagh, I'm so glad you have brought her home and that there is no sign
of infection! I'm a firm believer that hospitals are the worst place to
really heal and that they aren't to be used unless they can't be avoided.
I'm sure you will be able to nurse Lilly back to full health better than
anyone else possibly could.

As to the vet who gave her less than sub-standard care, I would challenge
that bill. Especially the charges for overnight care. You've seen the
care notes and you know she didn't provide that care. Not only that, she
abandoned her for a full day. Go through the bill and calculate the
valid charges, pay the balance of them and include an itemized statement
of what you will not pay and why. Include your recollection of the care
notes. Hopefully that will be the end of it, but if not, have the Animal
Care League step in on your behalf if they will. Never patronize that
vet again (if you can possibly avoid it), but try not to let the anger
eat away at you. It won't do you any good at all.

As to Lilly's drooling, I am thinking that it could be a reaction to a
medication. Rudy foams at the mouth and drools anytime I give him liquid
antibiotics (which is thankfully not often at all). Once she is off all
of her meds, if the drooling stops, I wouldn't worry about what might
have caused it. If it continues, then of course you will need to look
into it further. If she had a stroke, she would have other symptoms that
would be fairly obvious.

Enjoy your darling Lilly, and also those precious kittens!


--
Lynne

sheelagh
February 10th 07, 06:09 PM
On 10 Feb, 18:05, Lynne > wrote:
> Sheelagh, I'm so glad you have brought her home and that there is no sign
> of infection! I'm a firm believer that hospitals are the worst place to
> really heal and that they aren't to be used unless they can't be avoided.
> I'm sure you will be able to nurse Lilly back to full health better than
> anyone else possibly could.
>
> As to the vet who gave her less than sub-standard care, I would challenge
> that bill. Especially the charges for overnight care. You've seen the
> care notes and you know she didn't provide that care. Not only that, she
> abandoned her for a full day. Go through the bill and calculate the
> valid charges, pay the balance of them and include an itemized statement
> of what you will not pay and why. Include your recollection of the care
> notes. Hopefully that will be the end of it, but if not, have the Animal
> Care League step in on your behalf if they will. Never patronize that
> vet again (if you can possibly avoid it), but try not to let the anger
> eat away at you. It won't do you any good at all.
>
> As to Lilly's drooling, I am thinking that it could be a reaction to a
> medication. Rudy foams at the mouth and drools anytime I give him liquid
> antibiotics (which is thankfully not often at all). Once she is off all
> of her meds, if the drooling stops, I wouldn't worry about what might
> have caused it. If it continues, then of course you will need to look
> into it further. If she had a stroke, she would have other symptoms that
> would be fairly obvious.
>
> Enjoy your darling Lilly, and also those precious kittens!
>
> --
> Lynne

Thank you soooooo much!!
I forgot to tell you all that I played a sneaky and took the camera to
the 1st vets and took a photo of each care note page too,ROFLOL
all in Lilly's favour.
I anticipated that one:o)
S;o)

Matthew
February 10th 07, 06:12 PM
Glad that she is home.
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Wow, what a day it has been...All the action kicked off @ 9.30am when
the vet turned up for work. Both Paul & I were waiting for her because
we were determined to sort out what was going to happen to poor old
Lilly over the weekend as we were already aware that there would be no
one there to care for her from 12pm today, until 8 am on Monday
morning.
We had already called the Cat Protection League, to ask if we were
allowed to ask for our cat back & they told us that it was our right
to , & if we encountered any problems, that we should call the
police...So baring that in mind.....

We had already spent hours trying to figure out what the best thing to
do might be, & came to the conclusion that shouting our heads off was
going to get us no where...So we tried diplomacy, much as It wrankled
me to do so....

I started by greeting her & asking if we might see Lilly for a little
while, which she agreed to. After a few minutes that it took for Paul
to read her care plan and care sheet's, we were both in agreement
that* We Had To Get Her OUT NOW*!!

Having already called the Cromwell Clinic in Huntingdon, our nearest
town to ask if they might take over her care because we were concerned
about the fact that the clinic she was currently in, didn't offer 24
hour care Which we felt was vitally important as she was only 24 hours
out of a very serious operation.
The clinic welcomed gladly & knowing this, we set to work on the vet.
We started by asking what care Lilly would receive over the weekend, &
she told us that she would try & pop in tomorrow to make sure that
Lilly had clean water, food and & blankets too (Note: No litter???)

At this point we expressed our concerns regarding this matter, & asked
her if she would mind terribly if we were to move her to a surgery
where they had 24 hour care because we felt that she needed it. Couple
that with the fact that it might make her weekend easier as Lilly was
her only cell mate, she agreed that she wouldn't mind.

I could whooped for joy because I had been dreading that moment all
last night & this morning!!

It took us roughly 5 minutes to load her up, I.v ,and all her care
notes & got to the desk to collect all of her other notes her notes
and to be handed the bill for her care thus far...
I am dying to tell you what the bill was because I nearly fell through
the concrete floor, SERIOUSLY!!
(you must bare in mind that she spent 2 nights there, had an xray & I
was told that she charged £45 to spay a cat, plus her antibiotics!
injection, & 4pills to take with us)
The Grand Total came to £367.34!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I nearly had a a heart attack!
If you convert that into $, I suppose it would be around $680
I couldn't believe my ears......

I settled £150 because that was what I had on me @ the time, & walked
out the door to freedom, by which time Lilly was nearly squeezing
through the wicker basket to get to us because she was SO HAPPY:o)

We took her straight down to the Cromwell Surgery & they looked at her
the moment we walked through the door;in fact there was a vet waiting
for us there!!
After a 20minute thorough inspection of her, & her notes too, the vet
looked at me & said "you know a fair amount about cat's, don't you"?

I admitted I knew a little, so he took both Paul & I into another
consulting room & told us that he was going to show us how to set her
drip up & that as long as we were happy & confident, that he thought
the best place for her, would be at home...

It was getting better by the moment.
We went in & within 5 Min's I had managed to insert the line and had
her onto antibiotics and re hydration drip too; we were told to only
use the hydration drip if she didn't drink orally (which I note the
previous vet had charged me £24.26!!)
He injected Lilly with marbocyl1% & also gave us the antibiotics that
she needed, but orally, because in all of the time that we spent @ the
Cromwell..Lilly nearly drank 1/2 a pint of water..!!
( he gave us more Marbocyl @20 mg)
So roughly an hour later, we paid the bill for the injection, the
antibiotics to give her orally & the consultation fee.
Broken down that was:
consultation £15
Marbocyl inj £4
Tablets(same as above)££7.20
Bloods £31.90
& drip in case of need
Cristapen 600mg £4
A grand total of £ 62.10.

Slightly different from the other bill I would say...
Mind you she did the op which cost us £159
xray£37
and the rest was for consultation ,antibiotics,
CARE @ NIGHT???? & other drugs and fees too...

We thanked the vet @ the Cromwell, then settled the bill in full &
jumped straight in the car & brought her home....
We have to take her back to the Cromwell in 3 days & they will take
her stitches out, but after that she should be fine.
Thankfully there appears to be no post op infection, but if we even
feel slightly concerned or worried, we can take her down to them, or
they will come out to see her, whichever we would prefer.
I can't believe the difference in the relationship between the patient
and vet, or the facilities either.

I can honestly say that is the best thing that we have ever done to
help our cats. & the saying you don't know what your missing if you
have never had it ,comes to mind. It was like entering a different
world, truely it was.

Since bringing Lilly home she has been so happy..all of the other cats
wanted to be near her of course, but we have set up a little separate
area for her, so that she has the peace an quite that she needs,. Her
own litter which she gladly hoped straight on to, too!!
She wolfed down a bowl full of whiskers , then got straight on to a
nice bowl of dry Iams as well- Boy she was hungry!!

I can't help but wonder why the previous vet would have kept her caged
and penned for the weekend if it was not to charge me for it.
Perhaps my opinion is a bit distorted given recent events, but she had
no intention of allowing her home to us, & if there was going to be no
one there, I couldn't see the point of keeping her for anything else?
I am just pleased that it is all over now & that she will make a full
recovery. she seems delighted to be home and I can assure you that we
are delighted to have her too
I DO have to admit, that all the way to huntingdon Paul was muttering
away under his breath thing's like, Bloody Cats...costs more than the
damned cat did...She can swing for it...& several other unmentionable
things, but I can see by Lilly drapped all over him right now that it
couldn't have been that terrible or he would never have helped me
spring her out of jail, lol
She is still dribbling everywhere but the Cromwell think that she does
in fact have a touch of Flu as we suspected
HAIL LIILY THE BRAVE...A HAPPY ENDING TO TO A TERRIBLE STORY
& Thanks to all of you for your support too..
You have all been brilliant in the small hours of the morning
Soothing Purrs to you all compliments of Lilly- Pads the brave
S;o)
Ps: I have added a few photos for you to look at if you would like to.
Some of them are of our normal Lilly, the others are of her this
afternoon after we brought her home too

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/LillyIsSprungFromJail

MaryL
February 10th 07, 06:15 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
...
> Sheelagh, I'm so glad you have brought her home and that there is no sign
> of infection! I'm a firm believer that hospitals are the worst place to
> really heal and that they aren't to be used unless they can't be avoided.
> I'm sure you will be able to nurse Lilly back to full health better than
> anyone else possibly could.
>
> As to the vet who gave her less than sub-standard care, I would challenge
> that bill. Especially the charges for overnight care. You've seen the
> care notes and you know she didn't provide that care. Not only that, she
> abandoned her for a full day. Go through the bill and calculate the
> valid charges, pay the balance of them and include an itemized statement
> of what you will not pay and why. Include your recollection of the care
> notes. Hopefully that will be the end of it, but if not, have the Animal
> Care League step in on your behalf if they will. Never patronize that
> vet again (if you can possibly avoid it), but try not to let the anger
> eat away at you. It won't do you any good at all.
>
> As to Lilly's drooling, I am thinking that it could be a reaction to a
> medication. Rudy foams at the mouth and drools anytime I give him liquid
> antibiotics (which is thankfully not often at all). Once she is off all
> of her meds, if the drooling stops, I wouldn't worry about what might
> have caused it. If it continues, then of course you will need to look
> into it further. If she had a stroke, she would have other symptoms that
> would be fairly obvious.
>
> Enjoy your darling Lilly, and also those precious kittens!
>
>
> --
> Lynne

I absolutely agree with this message. The first vet seems to have charged
for care that was not provided. You even have notes to show that you and
Paul personally sat outside and waited, but no one arrived for overnight
care.

Great news to hear that Lilly is doing better!

MaryL

sheelagh
February 10th 07, 06:28 PM
On 10 Feb, 18:15, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "Lynne" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
>
>
> > Sheelagh, I'm so glad you have brought her home and that there is no sign
> > of infection! I'm a firm believer that hospitals are the worst place to
> > really heal and that they aren't to be used unless they can't be avoided.
> > I'm sure you will be able to nurse Lilly back to full health better than
> > anyone else possibly could.
>
> > As to the vet who gave her less than sub-standard care, I would challenge
> > that bill. Especially the charges for overnight care. You've seen the
> > care notes and you know she didn't provide that care. Not only that, she
> > abandoned her for a full day. Go through the bill and calculate the
> > valid charges, pay the balance of them and include an itemized statement
> > of what you will not pay and why. Include your recollection of the care
> > notes. Hopefully that will be the end of it, but if not, have the Animal
> > Care League step in on your behalf if they will. Never patronize that
> > vet again (if you can possibly avoid it), but try not to let the anger
> > eat away at you. It won't do you any good at all.
>
> > As to Lilly's drooling, I am thinking that it could be a reaction to a
> > medication. Rudy foams at the mouth and drools anytime I give him liquid
> > antibiotics (which is thankfully not often at all). Once she is off all
> > of her meds, if the drooling stops, I wouldn't worry about what might
> > have caused it. If it continues, then of course you will need to look
> > into it further. If she had a stroke, she would have other symptoms that
> > would be fairly obvious.
>
> > Enjoy your darling Lilly, and also those precious kittens!
>
> > --
> > Lynne
>
> I absolutely agree with this message. The first vet seems to have charged
> for care that was not provided. You even have notes to show that you and
> Paul personally sat outside and waited, but no one arrived for overnight
> care.
>
> Great news to hear that Lilly is doing better!
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Thank you loads and loads mat & Mary too.
Your right, after a few weeks(night if I am really lucky lol..)..
I do intend to take this bill to task.
We have the paperwork here to show, we have Paul sat outside the vets
for the night, and the paper shop guy who owns the shop who saw Paul
there first thing in the morning( for the paper delivery's), & we
have Ross who visited Lilly yesterday & pointed out her notes to me
too.
She can't really dispute it.
As to the charge that she should have had Lilly transferred to a
24hour facility knowing that she had a pyometra case sitting there
brewing away for 36 hours in her back room...well...words fail me!
I am very angry about that, so the best thing to do would be to calm
down for a few days, then look at it objectively instead.
Everyone has problems, but if Paul was able to drive to her house
personally, I see no reason for not turning up for work...
& if there were other issue's, all she had to do was tell us, & we
could have taken Lilly elsewhere.
I think it is that bit that hurts me most.
She is home and drooling all over us, that is all that matters for now
Purrs from us to you all too S;o)

sheelagh
February 10th 07, 06:48 PM
>
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/LillyIsSprungFromJail

We got her Rhonda:o)
She was so pleased to see us too.
If nothing else I have learnt so much from this experience

Unfortunately, the trust link has completely broken down with this
vet, which is actually really sad. I never knew then what I know now
though, because I had never gone out the back of her surgery before we
visited Lilly. In the past, we have always just dropped our cat's off
to be either spayed or neutered, so there was never a need to.
Even the odd cat I have taken up there that has been ill or needed
help with has never given me cause to look out there either.(ie: Lucy
(fur!!), was simply taken out back and handed back to us when the work
was done;we have never had a long term stay before....

I can't tell you how pleased I was to get her out & even Lilly seemed
more than delighted too..she was pushing her head so far up against
the Barr's of her carrier, that I thought she would have bar marks all
over her face, lol
I don't think we will have any trouble disputing the over night care
there, but I can categorically say that she did tell me that she only
injected her twice with antibiotics, yet we have a string of bills for
drugs I have never heard of & don't appear to be on her chart either.
I hate having to dispute it, but why should we pay for something Lilly
didnt get?
I will have to sleep on that one I think.
Thanks for all the advice and support from everyone
S;o)

Rhonda
February 10th 07, 06:51 PM
Sheelagh, way to go! You did it!!! You got her out of there, got a
second opinion and have her home with you to get better. You came to her
rescue when she needed you!

I'm so relieved she's not sitting in a cage alone, with no care, all
weekend. I'm sure she will get better so much more quickly now.

Pet that girl some more, then take the weekend off and get some sleep!
You saved another cat today...

Rhonda

sheelagh wrote:

> I can honestly say that is the best thing that we have ever done to
> help our cats. & the saying you don't know what your missing if you
> have never had it ,comes to mind. It was like entering a different
> world, truely it was.
>
> Since bringing Lilly home she has been so happy..all of the other cats
> wanted to be near her of course, but we have set up a little separate
> area for her, so that she has the peace an quite that she needs,. Her
> own litter which she gladly hoped straight on to, too!!
> She wolfed down a bowl full of whiskers , then got straight on to a
> nice bowl of dry Iams as well- Boy she was hungry!!

Rhonda
February 10th 07, 06:57 PM
You go, girl!

sheelagh wrote:

> I forgot to tell you all that I played a sneaky and took the camera to
> the 1st vets and took a photo of each care note page too,ROFLOL

sheelagh
February 10th 07, 07:06 PM
On 10 Feb, 18:51, Rhonda > wrote:
> Sheelagh, way to go! You did it!!! You got her out of there, got a
> second opinion and have her home with you to get better. You came to her
> rescue when she needed you!
>
> I'm so relieved she's not sitting in a cage alone, with no care, all
> weekend. I'm sure she will get better so much more quickly now.
>
> Pet that girl some more, then take the weekend off and get some sleep!
> You saved another cat today...
>
> Rhonda
Thanks Rhonda,
I wouldn't say I saved her life, but I would say that I saved her from
a water torture weekend of kill style boredom and no love either.

Having filled her belly to bursting point, she has now decided that
daddy can get some cuddles for his £367, ROFLOL...
He is still muttering about the bill costing me than the damned cat
did, but whilst muttering, he is actually wiping the slobber off his
chest & stroking her too...
So all told, I guess it isn't so bad, hey?
Everyone feels like it is Christmas today...even me..
Now that we have liberated Miss Slobber, I guess I have some time now
to play with the kittens

<Sheelagh's grinning like the Cheshire cat-she can't wait to get down
here on the floor with mummy to see what we have now that they are old
enough to be able to tell what colours and sex they are>
Then in a few weeks, it will be time to take Mummy to get her done
too.

We never want to even hear the word Pyometra ever again.
Thanks for the advice and giving me the confidence to believe I could
do it..

S;o)

Lynne
February 10th 07, 07:06 PM
on Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:48:39 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> I don't think we will have any trouble disputing the over night care
> there, but I can categorically say that she did tell me that she only
> injected her twice with antibiotics, yet we have a string of bills for
> drugs I have never heard of & don't appear to be on her chart either.
> I hate having to dispute it, but why should we pay for something Lilly
> didnt get?

When Lilly is better and you have caught up on your sleep you will be able
to dispute this calmly and logically. And I believe that you should.

--
Lynne

bookie
February 10th 07, 08:20 PM
On 10 Feb, 19:06, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> On 10 Feb, 18:51, Rhonda > wrote:> Sheelagh, way to go! You did it!!! You got her out of there, got a
> > second opinion and have her home with you to get better. You came to her
> > rescue when she needed you!
>
> > I'm so relieved she's not sitting in a cage alone, with no care, all
> > weekend. I'm sure she will get better so much more quickly now.
>
> > Pet that girl some more, then take the weekend off and get some sleep!
> > You saved another cat today...
>
> > Rhonda
>
> Thanks Rhonda,
> I wouldn't say I saved her life, but I would say that I saved her from
> a water torture weekend of kill style boredom and no love either.
>
> Having filled her belly to bursting point, she has now decided that
> daddy can get some cuddles for his £367, ROFLOL...
> He is still muttering about the bill costing me than the damned cat
> did, but whilst muttering, he is actually wiping the slobber off his
> chest & stroking her too...
> So all told, I guess it isn't so bad, hey?
> Everyone feels like it is Christmas today...even me..
> Now that we have liberated Miss Slobber, I guess I have some time now
> to play with the kittens
>
> <Sheelagh's grinning like the Cheshire cat-she can't wait to get down
> here on the floor with mummy to see what we have now that they are old
> enough to be able to tell what colours and sex they are>
> Then in a few weeks, it will be time to take Mummy to get her done
> too.
>
> We never want to even hear the word Pyometra ever again.
> Thanks for the advice and giving me the confidence to believe I could
> do it..
>
> S;o)

the excitement I have missed while I ahve been out in town for the
afternoon! so glad to hear lilly is back at home and out of that
hellhole, you did the right thing entirely.

yes you should report this incompetent vet to the RCVS and CPL and
anyone else (animal health trust?) but not out of spite or anything,
purely to protect other people fromthe poor level of care that their
animals might receive there. And yes give it a few days to calm down
and for lilly to get fully well again then work out your plan of
attack, and do it logically and calmly and sensibly, you will be doing
the right thing if you do and don't let anyone else tell you
otherwise. Good to see that you had the sense to get some photgraphic
evidence etc and that the cromwell vets will support you too, after
they do not wnat someone like your previous vet giving their
profession a bad name and not adhering to expected codes of conduct
set down by the governing body do they?

maybe your previous vet is good for large animals and farms etc but
not for domestic animals, she obviusly does not have the resources or
expertise for small animals, so you have done the right thing in going
to a specialist vet (and one given the FAB's stamp of approval too!)

as for your paul grumbling over the bill; all men do that, they feel
they have to, it is liek a sort of facade they have to keep up to
pretend that they dont' care when really they do. I am just looking at
my own jessie on the bed behind me, all flopped out, all soft white
fur and fluffy tummy exposed and I think that no bill is ever too high
if her health were to be at stake, she is too precious to me as Lilly
is to you (and to paul although he won't admit it).

thank god this is all sorted out now, well done for getting her out,
well done you!

bookie

MaryL
February 10th 07, 08:42 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Wow, what a day it has been...All the action kicked off @ 9.30am when
the vet turned up for work. Both Paul & I were waiting for her because
we were determined to sort out what was going to happen to poor old
Lilly over the weekend as we were already aware that there would be no
one there to care for her from 12pm today, until 8 am on Monday
morning.
<snip>
We thanked the vet @ the Cromwell, then settled the bill in full &
jumped straight in the car & brought her home....
We have to take her back to the Cromwell in 3 days & they will take
her stitches out, but after that she should be fine.
Thankfully there appears to be no post op infection, but if we even
feel slightly concerned or worried, we can take her down to them, or
they will come out to see her, whichever we would prefer.
I can't believe the difference in the relationship between the patient
and vet, or the facilities either.

Sheelagh,

I suddenly remembered a couple of things that you wrote yesterday. You said
that the vet had just called to confirm a diagnosis of pyometra, which she
had told you about three days previously. You also said that you had decided
to have Lilly spayed. Then, today you talked about having stitches removed
in three more days. This does not make any sense! The standard length of
time between a spay and removal of stitches is 14 days. Removing stitches
four days after major abdominal surgery makes no sense at all. In fact, it
is dangerous! Something is not right here.

MaryL

sheelagh
February 10th 07, 11:23 PM
On 10 Feb, 20:20, "bookie" > wrote:
> On 10 Feb, 19:06, "sheelagh" > wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On 10 Feb, 18:51, Rhonda > wrote:> Sheelagh, way to go! You did it!!! You got her out of there, got a
> > > second opinion and have her home with you to get better. You came to her
> > > rescue when she needed you!
>
> > > I'm so relieved she's not sitting in a cage alone, with no care, all
> > > weekend. I'm sure she will get better so much more quickly now.
>
> > > Pet that girl some more, then take the weekend off and get some sleep!
> > > You saved another cat today...
>
> > > Rhonda
>
> > Thanks Rhonda,
> > I wouldn't say I saved her life, but I would say that I saved her from
> > a water torture weekend of kill style boredom and no love either.
>
> > Having filled her belly to bursting point, she has now decided that
> > daddy can get some cuddles for his £367, ROFLOL...
> > He is still muttering about the bill costing me than the damned cat
> > did, but whilst muttering, he is actually wiping the slobber off his
> > chest & stroking her too...
> > So all told, I guess it isn't so bad, hey?
> > Everyone feels like it is Christmas today...even me..
> > Now that we have liberated Miss Slobber, I guess I have some time now
> > to play with the kittens
>
> > <Sheelagh's grinning like the Cheshire cat-she can't wait to get down
> > here on the floor with mummy to see what we have now that they are old
> > enough to be able to tell what colours and sex they are>
> > Then in a few weeks, it will be time to take Mummy to get her done
> > too.
>
> > We never want to even hear the word Pyometra ever again.
> > Thanks for the advice and giving me the confidence to believe I could
> > do it..
>
> > S;o)
>
> the excitement I have missed while I ahve been out in town for the
> afternoon! so glad to hear lilly is back at home and out of that
> hellhole, you did the right thing entirely.
>
> yes you should report this incompetent vet to the RCVS and CPL and
> anyone else (animal health trust?) but not out of spite or anything,
> purely to protect other people fromthe poor level of care that their
> animals might receive there. And yes give it a few days to calm down
> and for lilly to get fully well again then work out your plan of
> attack, and do it logically and calmly and sensibly, you will be doing
> the right thing if you do and don't let anyone else tell you
> otherwise. Good to see that you had the sense to get some photgraphic
> evidence etc and that the cromwell vets will support you too, after
> they do not wnat someone like your previous vet giving their
> profession a bad name and not adhering to expected codes of conduct
> set down by the governing body do they?
>
> maybe your previous vet is good for large animals and farms etc but
> not for domestic animals, she obviusly does not have the resources or
> expertise for small animals, so you have done the right thing in going
> to a specialist vet (and one given the FAB's stamp of approval too!)
>
> as for your paul grumbling over the bill; all men do that, they feel
> they have to, it is liek a sort of facade they have to keep up to
> pretend that they dont' care when really they do. I am just looking at
> my own jessie on the bed behind me, all flopped out, all soft white
> fur and fluffy tummy exposed and I think that no bill is ever too high
> if her health were to be at stake, she is too precious to me as Lilly
> is to you (and to paul although he won't admit it).
>
> thank god this is all sorted out now, well done for getting her out,
> well done you!
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

>
> the excitement I have missed while I have been out in town for the
> afternoon! so glad to hear Lilly is back at home and out of that
> hellhole, you did the right thing entirely.
Thank you. I hope that I did, & my gut tells me that I did too.It
isn't normally wrong either!
> yes you should report this incompetent vet to the RCVS and CPL and
> anyone else (animal health trust?) but not out of spite or anything,
> purely to protect other people from the poor level of care that their
> animals might receive there. And yes give it a few days to calm down
> and for Lilly to get fully well again then work out your plan of
> attack, and do it logically and calmly and sensibly, you will be doing
> the right thing if you do and don't let anyone else tell you
> otherwise.
I would *never do it maliciously* Bookie, that simply isn't me.
I'm all hot anger and quick words, but I don't think I have ever done
something malicious or out of spite..
You are completely on the mark when you say that I should do it for
the protection of other people's cats. In a way I am glad that user
net allows you to go back to previous postings, because it allows me
to go back to other peoples suggestions of bodies, names, and
societies too , because I could never remember them all I assure you.
I will calm down, because it is my nature..I tend to get angry, shout,
then forget about it completely. Grudges just aren't part of how I
think or operate.
I think I might have put a previous posting regarding this specific
issue already, but it might have been on Lilly up date, or this one- I
forget which posting I put it under?
The point is that I am rather sad because I did have a very good
working relationship with this woman, so I would never drag her
through a hedge backwards;this is the same lady who treated
Lucy(Fur!!) for me @ Xmas free of charge, & I will never forget that
kindness. It was something that she didn't have to do, yet chose to
do.. you don't forget kindness like that, do you?
If I do report decide to her for breech of anything, I can assure you
that it would only be for things that are utterly unforgivable(ie:
knowing how ill Lilly was, but not expressing how ill she was until it
was almost too late to help her.).. & perhaps charging me for things
that were never given/ administered, or the care that was never
[email protected] night FI
(ie: out of normal hours care, & possibly for the state of the
kennels /cages because they really were like something out of
Frankenstein! I would never embellish something like that!)
Good to see that you had the sense to get some photographic
> evidence etc and that the Cromwell vets will support you too, after
> they do not want someone like your previous vet giving their
> profession a bad name and not adhering to expected codes of conduct
> set down by the governing body do they?
I did feel rather pleased with myself for that one, because I felt
such a fool the night before for forgetting it. I genuinely did take
it so that we had some photos for the kids to see rather than troop
them all down there.
It wasn't until Ross and I saw the state of the place that our
eyebrows raised...We genuinely were incredulous with them, especially
with no litter, water, food, & notes that made it clear that there was
no cover @ night- charging me for it, was rather wrong in my book. I
have them here if I need them though.

I have two lines of thought here, now that i have had time to calm
down, eat a meal & do a little pondering on it:
A: Go to the vet herself & point out my issues with her practise,
pointing out our good relationship, & also my shock and disappointment
with Lilly's care (but not a threatening way @ all) ?
She might even rethink my bill and charge me accordingly....
I still wouldn't take my custom back there, but it might help her
think about what she could do to improve her service?
B: Don't even give her a sniff of what I know, think, or feel, because
as my dear mother taught me, forewarned is always forearmed...?
It might be wiser not to, because these days, if you let anyone know
what you are thinking..up go the shutters & by the time I do get
someone to investigate, there is a completely different canvas to see
when people do turn up to check them out.....
I would be interested in every ones thoughts on this one?

> maybe your previous vet is good for large animals and farms etc but
> not for domestic animals, she obviously does not have the resources or
> expertise for small animals, so you have done the right thing in going
> to a specialist vet (and one given the FAB's stamp of approval too!)
Now this is one that I do agree with. She is a fantastic equine/horse
veterinary, brilliant in lambing season, & even better with calfing
too. She is noted for it in fact!

> as for your Paul grumbling over the bill; all men do that, they feel
> they have to, it is like a sort of facade they have to keep up to
> pretend that they don't' care when really they do. I am just looking at
> my own Jessie on the bed behind me, all flopped out, all soft white
> fur and fluffy tummy exposed and I think that no bill is ever too high
> if her health were to be at stake, she is too precious to me as Lilly
> is to you (and to Paul although he won't admit it).
I giggle when I think of this one,ROFLOL;o)
You are spot on there.
When he walked in with the bill, he handed me the bill first, then a
lottery ticket afterwards..explaining that now that she couldn't pay
her own way re:kitties, that maybe the lottery could instead...
He loves her lots, but wouldn't ever admit it.
Body language speaks volumes & ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS- if he
allows her to sit on his chest whilst whilst she slobbers all over his
chest, I think that you can safely say that he is far softer than he
admits to.
If you add that to the fact that he sat outside her premises for the
entire night in the freezing cold with only a flask of tea for
company, specifically just to see if anyone did turn up to check on
Lilly, then I think it would be safe to say that he cares for her far
more than he cares to admit, don't you?
> thank god this is all sorted out now, well done for getting her out,
> well done you!
Tell me!!
I am so looking forward to a good nights sleep tonight. I haven't been
able to for several, so I have a feeling that I will sleep like a log
tonight!
Having said that, I am still quite worried about the slobbering. It
doesn't bother me in itself, it is the possible reasons that are
causing her to that concern me.
She has never done this before. The vet put it down to flu, but I
worry in case it has something to do with the sausage shaped possible
foreign object that she was unable to explain in the xray that she
took before performing the pyometra operation.
The fact that she giggled it about during the op doesn't take away the
concern that she had no answer for it or know what it might be.
I think that it is important that I mention this @ the appointment
when Lilly has her stitches out.
My initial euphoria has worn off slightly because of this concern...
Wouldn't it be terrible to get this far, only to loose her over over
something that was overlooked in the first instance?
I certainly don't mean to sound or even think pessimisticly...but I
can't get rid of the thought bugging me @ the back of my mind...I wish
that I had insisted on an ultrasound to start with-with as high as
that, what difference would it have made compared to an xray from
Lilly's point of view?
For tonight I intend to just cuddle her & make the most of her superb
company & comforting presence, because it really does make such a
difference; a wonderful difference I might add:o)
> bookie>
Bookie, thank you for all of your research, it was immensely helpful
you know & I appreciated it very much.
I also took note of your suggestion about the vet college in Cambridge
too.
(Any links would be wonderful if you can find them without too much
difficulty , please?
Later in the week, I am going to try and find it because I think that
it might be of enormous benefit for my community cats who must think I
have gone to mars in that last few days. All I have done is feed
them:o)
They need more than feeding.
Oh... I forgot to tell you that we have managed to get only 8collars
on so far re: (H5N1)Sorry if I got the combination wrong, it is not
intentional & it has been a long few days...Time to get those welding
gloves out I think & catch the other ones & bell them so that they
don't get the chance to catch any careless birds unaware.
Lucy(fur!) thinks we are so mean not allowing her freedom, so she
sulks when we put her out in the run, Ringo just flicks his Ringo tail
@ us as if to tell us that if he really wanted to, he would escape if
he felt like it...
Belle has her hands full with those plumptuous Kittie's who seem to be
hungry all the time..& she is as pleased as they come because Kittie
time means Cimmi Cat milk time too for her (Yum Yum;o)
Biffy looks a little out of sorts, so I have separated him from the
others just in case...we don't need outbreaks of colds or any other
virus that happens to by floating by...I can't think why though
because every single one of them is injected against flu...even Lucy
(Fur!!), but that wasn't done until 3weeks ago.
(Could this be a source?)
And Tazy is his normal loving drape-all-over-you-&-purr-self..He comes
in to see his kittens about once a day..closely chased be she-who-must-
be-obeyed with her demister bottle FULL of FREEZING WATER just in case
he might be tempted to mark anywhere whilst indoors...Oh goodness, how
cruel I must be/seem...!!
One person who is not around today who sent loads of support in the
early hours of Friday am was Cindy-If anyone reaches her before this
post evaporates,please pass on my regards?
Lots of soothing wonderful quite purrs, head but's,leg weaves & open
mouthed grunty snores too,lol, being transmitted to you all in
tranquil waves of gratitude. Moral support goes a very long way when
you really need it.
With Gratitude from us all,
Sheelagh x

cindys
February 11th 07, 02:01 AM
I'm back on the computer. Wow, it sounds like a lot has happened in the last
24 hours. I am overjoyed to hear that Lilly is safe and sound. What a story!
Best regards,
---Cindy S.


"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
Wow, what a day it has been...All the action kicked off @ 9.30am when
the vet turned up for work. Both Paul & I were waiting for her because
we were determined to sort out what was going to happen to poor old
Lilly over the weekend as we were already aware that there would be no
one there to care for her from 12pm today, until 8 am on Monday
morning.
We had already called the Cat Protection League, to ask if we were
allowed to ask for our cat back & they told us that it was our right
to , & if we encountered any problems, that we should call the
police...So baring that in mind.....

We had already spent hours trying to figure out what the best thing to
do might be, & came to the conclusion that shouting our heads off was
going to get us no where...So we tried diplomacy, much as It wrankled
me to do so....

I started by greeting her & asking if we might see Lilly for a little
while, which she agreed to. After a few minutes that it took for Paul
to read her care plan and care sheet's, we were both in agreement
that* We Had To Get Her OUT NOW*!!

Having already called the Cromwell Clinic in Huntingdon, our nearest
town to ask if they might take over her care because we were concerned
about the fact that the clinic she was currently in, didn't offer 24
hour care Which we felt was vitally important as she was only 24 hours
out of a very serious operation.
The clinic welcomed gladly & knowing this, we set to work on the vet.
We started by asking what care Lilly would receive over the weekend, &
she told us that she would try & pop in tomorrow to make sure that
Lilly had clean water, food and & blankets too (Note: No litter???)

At this point we expressed our concerns regarding this matter, & asked
her if she would mind terribly if we were to move her to a surgery
where they had 24 hour care because we felt that she needed it. Couple
that with the fact that it might make her weekend easier as Lilly was
her only cell mate, she agreed that she wouldn't mind.

I could whooped for joy because I had been dreading that moment all
last night & this morning!!

It took us roughly 5 minutes to load her up, I.v ,and all her care
notes & got to the desk to collect all of her other notes her notes
and to be handed the bill for her care thus far...
I am dying to tell you what the bill was because I nearly fell through
the concrete floor, SERIOUSLY!!
(you must bare in mind that she spent 2 nights there, had an xray & I
was told that she charged £45 to spay a cat, plus her antibiotics!
injection, & 4pills to take with us)
The Grand Total came to £367.34!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I nearly had a a heart attack!
If you convert that into $, I suppose it would be around $680
I couldn't believe my ears......

I settled £150 because that was what I had on me @ the time, & walked
out the door to freedom, by which time Lilly was nearly squeezing
through the wicker basket to get to us because she was SO HAPPY:o)

We took her straight down to the Cromwell Surgery & they looked at her
the moment we walked through the door;in fact there was a vet waiting
for us there!!
After a 20minute thorough inspection of her, & her notes too, the vet
looked at me & said "you know a fair amount about cat's, don't you"?

I admitted I knew a little, so he took both Paul & I into another
consulting room & told us that he was going to show us how to set her
drip up & that as long as we were happy & confident, that he thought
the best place for her, would be at home...

It was getting better by the moment.
We went in & within 5 Min's I had managed to insert the line and had
her onto antibiotics and re hydration drip too; we were told to only
use the hydration drip if she didn't drink orally (which I note the
previous vet had charged me £24.26!!)
He injected Lilly with marbocyl1% & also gave us the antibiotics that
she needed, but orally, because in all of the time that we spent @ the
Cromwell..Lilly nearly drank 1/2 a pint of water..!!
( he gave us more Marbocyl @20 mg)
So roughly an hour later, we paid the bill for the injection, the
antibiotics to give her orally & the consultation fee.
Broken down that was:
consultation £15
Marbocyl inj £4
Tablets(same as above)££7.20
Bloods £31.90
& drip in case of need
Cristapen 600mg £4
A grand total of £ 62.10.

Slightly different from the other bill I would say...
Mind you she did the op which cost us £159
xray£37
and the rest was for consultation ,antibiotics,
CARE @ NIGHT???? & other drugs and fees too...

We thanked the vet @ the Cromwell, then settled the bill in full &
jumped straight in the car & brought her home....
We have to take her back to the Cromwell in 3 days & they will take
her stitches out, but after that she should be fine.
Thankfully there appears to be no post op infection, but if we even
feel slightly concerned or worried, we can take her down to them, or
they will come out to see her, whichever we would prefer.
I can't believe the difference in the relationship between the patient
and vet, or the facilities either.

I can honestly say that is the best thing that we have ever done to
help our cats. & the saying you don't know what your missing if you
have never had it ,comes to mind. It was like entering a different
world, truely it was.

Since bringing Lilly home she has been so happy..all of the other cats
wanted to be near her of course, but we have set up a little separate
area for her, so that she has the peace an quite that she needs,. Her
own litter which she gladly hoped straight on to, too!!
She wolfed down a bowl full of whiskers , then got straight on to a
nice bowl of dry Iams as well- Boy she was hungry!!

I can't help but wonder why the previous vet would have kept her caged
and penned for the weekend if it was not to charge me for it.
Perhaps my opinion is a bit distorted given recent events, but she had
no intention of allowing her home to us, & if there was going to be no
one there, I couldn't see the point of keeping her for anything else?
I am just pleased that it is all over now & that she will make a full
recovery. she seems delighted to be home and I can assure you that we
are delighted to have her too
I DO have to admit, that all the way to huntingdon Paul was muttering
away under his breath thing's like, Bloody Cats...costs more than the
damned cat did...She can swing for it...& several other unmentionable
things, but I can see by Lilly drapped all over him right now that it
couldn't have been that terrible or he would never have helped me
spring her out of jail, lol
She is still dribbling everywhere but the Cromwell think that she does
in fact have a touch of Flu as we suspected
HAIL LIILY THE BRAVE...A HAPPY ENDING TO TO A TERRIBLE STORY
& Thanks to all of you for your support too..
You have all been brilliant in the small hours of the morning
Soothing Purrs to you all compliments of Lilly- Pads the brave
S;o)
Ps: I have added a few photos for you to look at if you would like to.
Some of them are of our normal Lilly, the others are of her this
afternoon after we brought her home too

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/LillyIsSprungFromJail

cindys
February 11th 07, 02:02 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thank you soooooo much!!
> I forgot to tell you all that I played a sneaky and took the camera to
> the 1st vets and took a photo of each care note page too,ROFLOL
> all in Lilly's favour.
> I anticipated that one:o)
> S;o)
----------
Good for you. It will come in handy for the lawsuit ;-)
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cindys
February 11th 07, 02:15 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>Having said that, I am still quite worried about the slobbering. It
doesn't bother me in itself, it is the possible reasons that are
causing her to that concern me.
She has never done this before. The vet put it down to flu, but I
worry in case it has something to do with the sausage shaped possible
foreign object that she was unable to explain in the xray that she
took before performing the pyometra operation.
The fact that she giggled it about during the op doesn't take away the
concern that she had no answer for it or know what it might be.
I think that it is important that I mention this @ the appointment
when Lilly has her stitches out.
My initial euphoria has worn off slightly because of this concern...
Wouldn't it be terrible to get this far, only to loose her over over
something that was overlooked in the first instance?

You are NOT going to lose her!!!

>I certainly don't mean to sound or even think pessimisticly...but I
can't get rid of the thought bugging me @ the back of my mind...I wish
that I had insisted on an ultrasound to start with-with as high as
that, what difference would it have made compared to an xray from
Lilly's point of view?

The vets in Cromwell will address the situation, and they can take an MRI.
Timewise, you haven't really lost anything because Lilly was in immediate
danger from the pyometra and that needed to be addressed first.

>For tonight I intend to just cuddle her & make the most of her superb
company & comforting presence, because it really does make such a
difference; a wonderful difference I might add:o)
> bookie>

Absolutely!

>One person who is not around today who sent loads of support in the
early hours of Friday am was Cindy-If anyone reaches her before this
post evaporates,please pass on my regards?

I'm here now! I did post that I would be off the computer until this evening
(Saturday night on the east coast of the USA), but I fear that post may have
gotten lost in the shuffle. You and Lilly were on my mind all day.

>Lots of soothing wonderful quite purrs, head but's,leg weaves & open
mouthed grunty snores too,lol, being transmitted to you all in
tranquil waves of gratitude. Moral support goes a very long way when
you really need it.

Just give Lilly lots of hugs and kisses from me! I am looking forward to the
next happy installment.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Rhonda
February 11th 07, 03:55 AM
Sheelagh, was she slobbering before she went to the vet? Cats drool when
their stomachs are upset, I'm wondering if it is from the antibiotics.
There are several that are pretty tough on their stomachs.

If it was before the antibiotics, I think you're right to want to find
out what's going on pretty quickly and if there is something in there.
Since your new vet is 24 hours, how about just giving them a call
tomorrow? Did either of the vets thoroughly check the teeth, too?

At least she's home and feeling better than before, and I know you'll
take care of her.

Rhonda

sheelagh wrote:
> Having said that, I am still quite worried about the slobbering. It
> doesn't bother me in itself, it is the possible reasons that are
> causing her to that concern me.
> She has never done this before. The vet put it down to flu, but I
> worry in case it has something to do with the sausage shaped possible
> foreign object that she was unable to explain in the xray that she
> took before performing the pyometra operation.

sheelagh
February 11th 07, 04:52 AM
On 11 Feb, 03:55, Rhonda > wrote:
> Sheelagh, was she slobbering before she went to the vet? Cats drool when
Yes, but only a few hours prior to going in on Wednesday. That was
part of the reason why I took her up there, even though it was almost
closing time.
The coughing, the sneezing & the dribbling as well as the crying all
started within a 6 hours I would say. But it was the dribbling that
finally swayed me to taker action there and then.
Lilly was coughing slightly in the morning, but decided to spend the
day upstairs, so I only noticed the drooling when she came down to use
the litter box.(Wednesday 6pm)
>
> If it was before the antibiotics, I think you're right to want to find
> out what's going on pretty quickly and if there is something in there.
> Since your new vet is 24 hours, how about just giving them a call
> tomorrow? Did either of the vets thoroughly check the teeth, too?

I can't say. I don't think so, or surely she would have mentioned that
she had... The vet seemed more convinced that it was a foreign body in
there throat, which was why she did the xray on Friday am, to look and
see if she could find anything ..it is starting to concern me now to
be frank.
Or more specifically, the sausage shaped thing that she said was in
the bowel...?
I can't shake the feeling that it is something to do with that..?
She doesn't drool all the time, but when she starts, it comes out of
her mouth, & even slightly out of her nose too(bubbles)..
The vet called it attention seeking coupled with a touch of flu, from
vet no:1
> At least she's home and feeling better than before, and I know you'll
> take care of her.
I can do that, but i have a feeling that it "must" be some type of flu
virus because Biffy is starting to cough, & I notice as he just walked
through, that he has a slightly sore eye:o(
I have just cleaned it with warm saline & a bit of chloramphemicol
too...worse, I have just heard him cough ( but coughing is not quite
so unusual with him), because he has mega hair balls and begs to go
out for some grass to be sick with to bring it up- I am just going to
take him out for a few Min's so he can nibble @ it & see what happens

do you ever get that "Why Me feeling"...?
Biffy is a Birman too
S;o)

sheelagh
February 11th 07, 04:58 AM
On 11 Feb, 02:15, "cindys" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> >Having said that, I am still quite worried about the slobbering. It
>
> doesn't bother me in itself, it is the possible reasons that are
> causing her to that concern me.
> She has never done this before. The vet put it down to flu, but I
> worry in case it has something to do with the sausage shaped possible
> foreign object that she was unable to explain in the xray that she
> took before performing the pyometra operation.
> The fact that she giggled it about during the op doesn't take away the
> concern that she had no answer for it or know what it might be.
> I think that it is important that I mention this @ the appointment
> when Lilly has her stitches out.
> My initial euphoria has worn off slightly because of this concern...
> Wouldn't it be terrible to get this far, only to loose her over over
> something that was overlooked in the first instance?
>
> You are NOT going to lose her!!!
>
> >I certainly don't mean to sound or even think pessimisticly...but I
>
> can't get rid of the thought bugging me @ the back of my mind...I wish
> that I had insisted on an ultrasound to start with-with as high as
> that, what difference would it have made compared to an xray from
> Lilly's point of view?
>
> The vets in Cromwell will address the situation, and they can take an MRI.
> Timewise, you haven't really lost anything because Lilly was in immediate
> danger from the pyometra and that needed to be addressed first.
>
> >For tonight I intend to just cuddle her & make the most of her superb
>
> company & comforting presence, because it really does make such a
> difference; a wonderful difference I might add:o)
>
> > bookie>
>
> Absolutely!
>
> >One person who is not around today who sent loads of support in the
>
> early hours of Friday am was Cindy-If anyone reaches her before this
> post evaporates,please pass on my regards?
>
> I'm here now! I did post that I would be off the computer until this evening
> (Saturday night on the east coast of the USA), but I fear that post may have
> gotten lost in the shuffle. You and Lilly were on my mind all day.
>
> >Lots of soothing wonderful quite purrs, head but's,leg weaves & open
>
> mouthed grunty snores too,lol, being transmitted to you all in
> tranquil waves of gratitude. Moral support goes a very long way when
> you really need it.
>
> Just give Lilly lots of hugs and kisses from me! I am looking forward to the
> next happy installment.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Thank you Cindy,
I appreciated every single bit of support that you offered & I was
more than grateful for it at the time, as I am now as well...
I will give her a nice soppy wet hug for you, I much sure that she
will love it,lol!!
S;o)

cindys
February 11th 07, 05:45 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>
> Thank you Cindy,
> I appreciated every single bit of support that you offered & I was
> more than grateful for it at the time, as I am now as well...
> I will give her a nice soppy wet hug for you, I much sure that she
> will love it,lol!!
> S;o)
-----------
Whomever it was who commented that an upset stomach can be a cause of
drooling...I agree. When my poor Molly was in her last days of her CRF, she
was drooling constantly (no I am NOT suggesting that Lilly has CRF or that
she's in her last days!!). I thought the drooling was somehow connected to
the condition of Molly's teeth because they were in such bad shape and
obviously she wasn't going to have a dental at that point. The vet told me
the drooling was in all likelihood caused by nausea. Also, I can tell you
from personal experience (I once underwent infertility testing), that having
someone tug on your ovaries or uterus causes nausea (in addition to causing
pain). Lilly just had a bad uterine infection followed by a total
hysterectomy and all kinds of medications. Obviously, no one can make a
diagnosis over the Internet, but before you totally panic, I think there is
a good possibility that she may be drooling simply because she is nauseous.
The vet recommended that we give Molly an antinausea medication (can't
recall which one, but it was a common over-the-counter stomach medication
normally used for humans) in a cat-sized dose. Call Cromwell tomorrow and
ask them about this and obviously get Lilly in for an ultrasound as soon as
you can.
Purrs for her continued recovery and good health.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

sheelagh
February 11th 07, 04:29 PM
On 10 Feb, 20:42, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> Wow, what a day it has been...All the action kicked off @ 9.30am when
> the vet turned up for work. Both Paul & I were waiting for her because
> we were determined to sort out what was going to happen to poor old
> Lilly over the weekend as we were already aware that there would be no
> one there to care for her from 12pm today, until 8 am on Monday
> morning.
> <snip>
> We thanked the vet @ the Cromwell, then settled the bill in full &
> jumped straight in the car & brought her home....
> We have to take her back to the Cromwell in 3 days & they will take
> her stitches out, but after that she should be fine.
> Thankfully there appears to be no post op infection, but if we even
> feel slightly concerned or worried, we can take her down to them, or
> they will come out to see her, whichever we would prefer.
> I can't believe the difference in the relationship between the patient
> and vet, or the facilities either.
>
> Sheelagh,
>
> I suddenly remembered a couple of things that you wrote yesterday. You said
> that the vet had just called to confirm a diagnosis of pyometra, which she
> had told you about three days previously. You also said that you had decided
> to have Lilly spayed. Then, today you talked about having stitches removed
> in three more days. This does not make any sense! The standard length of
> time between a spay and removal of stitches is 14 days. Removing stitches
> four days after major abdominal surgery makes no sense at all. In fact, it
> is dangerous! Something is not right here.
>
> MaryL


Mary, you are quite right. I did say Wednesday, because that was when
I was told to bring her back to the original vet to have her stitches
removed.
I have had a really kind poster who has been giving me some excellent
advice, access to links to things that I don't understand, & telling
me to question the wisdom of some of the things that I have been told,
urging me to question why certain things have not been done, & really
good general common sense too.
This same poster also mentioned what you said in your post as well. I
never thought to question it because I was so anxious to get her out
of there.. ( which really was rather stupid of me on reflection- Lucy
(Fur!) had hers out @6days I believe & it took ages for them to heal
properly; I'm lucky that she didn't burst open quite frankly.!!)
I noted the advice, similar to your own, & rang the 2nd vet surgery &
repeated what both of you have told me & they confirmed that it is far
too soon..They hadn't picked up on it either, & thanked me for
bringing it to their attention Having said that, they told me that
they want to see her on day 11, providing we have no problems in the
meanwhile. Does this still sound too soon?!!
I hope not.. To be perfectly honest, I am a bit peeved with vets in
general presently. Nothing against them, but I can get one to agree
with another, & surely it is their job to think of these things,
rather than friends Who seem to know far better than they do!
Perhaps that is a bit unfair of me, but it is the truth.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MON 5th Feb
Initially the vet was due to spay Lilly last Monday (a week tomorrow-
I did post this,"I think"?)
Then she was called out on an emergency, so rang to cancel & asked to
reschedule which neither of us got round to, because by Wednesday, I
noticed that Lilly was in trouble, & that was the day that I took her
up to the surgery late in the afternoon-around 5-6pm Tuesday 7th Feb
Lola invited us down, & I took Lilly there & then. It was during this
consultation that she took Lilly's temperature anally,, then looked at
her rear end, & invited me to look at it too. I noticed that it wasn't
quite up to Lilly's general standards, then she squealed Lilly's rear
end & a load of jelly like mucous escaped & it smelt absolutely foul.
At this point the vet cursed herself for not squeezing each side
separately, & when I asked why, she told me that if she had done each
side separately, it would have told her more than she found by
squeezing them together. I didn't think to question it any further:(
It was @ this point that she told me that she suspected it was
pyometra, & explained that her anal sacks were filled with this nasty
mess, & that she suspected that it had come from the uterus. She
asked if Lilly had either been in season recently, or had a litter.
Actually we suspected that Lilly was in season over Xmas, but we
separated her from Biffy & all of the other cats because of the ring
worm problem a few months back- you may not remember this but I asked
the group how long I should wait before allowing her to mate some time
ago?
The last litter that Lilly had was last summer...
Lola told me to take her home again, then return her the following
morning so that she could observe her, which I did.WEDNESDAY 7th FEB
Around lunch time she rang me to say that she had given her a shot of
antibiotics, then told me that she had another job to do, so Lilly
stayed there that night. THURDAY 8th FEB
It was the following day that we had a torrential downpour of snow &
the vet didn't bother coming to work &Lilly was left all on her own
from lunchtime on Thursday @12pm!!!!!!! The same day that Paul waited
all night outside the surgery in the car to see if anyone came to
feed, water, litter, or simply check on Lilly. FRIDAY 9thFEB
And on Friday, the vet returned to work & called me to say that Lilly
was in terrible shape. She took an xray of her from neck to base of
tail, (in case she had something stuck in her throat or
intestines),performed the operation, & we called to ask if we might
come and visit her. That was when I took the initial photos of her in
the cage, & read her care notes.
SAT 10th FEB
We liberated Lilly from the surgery & took her to the new vets with
notes and letter from the 1st vet...
If I got the date/day wrong in an earlier posting, I apologize, it was
unintentional.
Frankly, I can't remember what happened each day without consulting
the diary..It all went in one very long Blurr.
It was a terrible week & probably the worst one that I can remember
regarding our feline family.
I am so pleased that it is all over now.
Lilly is a lot better today. The drooling hasn't completely stopped,
but it is far better than yesterday, & she has only coughed once or
twice. Presently, she is sitting under the TV after pigging out on
whiskers again(Rabbit today). She is due her antibiotics soon & I hate
doing it, but I must because Paul won't even try to (He doesn't do
claws!!)
It is such a relief to have her at home, see her improving, know that
she is using the litter properly & dosing in her normal spot too.
Biffy seems a lot better today too. He was a bit under the weather
yesterday, but after he had some chloramphemicol in his eyes, the
green gunk is going, & his eye is far less inflamed too.
I have had a decent nights sleep for the first time in a week.. & had
the kittens out this morning. I sexed them & it looks like one male &
three females- I can't be sure of their true colours, but it appears
that we have one seal point, one mitted blue, & two colour point
blue's too.
All in all a good day today;o)
I now have to ring the new vet surgery in the morning & get Tiggy
booked in to be spayed when the reception staff are on duty. I can't
get Blue-Belle done until she has finished feeding her kittens, or so
I have been told?
Thanks for the support everyone, I don't think I would have got
through this one without you all...
& most of all, thanks to the poster who has been keeping me so well
informed- I definitely had no idea that poor Lilly was in so much
peril through ignorance...I think you saved Lilly's life & for that
there is no measure other than our gratitude & thanks too.
S;o)

Lynne
February 11th 07, 06:59 PM
on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:29:07 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> To be perfectly honest, I am a bit peeved with vets in
> general presently. Nothing against them, but I can get one to agree
> with another, & surely it is their job to think of these things,
> rather than friends Who seem to know far better than they do!

Unfortunately, vets (and doctors) are not fully aware of all of the
circumstances in every single one of their patients' cases. It is our
job as pet owners (and parents, if you have children) to be the central
repository of all of the medical history of our charges. Never assume
they have thoroughly reviewed the charts and history of their patients.
It is likely they haven't. They generally only look at the last visit's
notes and the list of medications and allergies unless you give them
reason to do otherwise.

I always make a point of reviewing the pertinent points of my pets'
medical histories when we visit our vet. I also then go over my concerns
for the current visit. If anything isn't absolutely clear or if it
doesn't seem right, I ask questions or remind them of facts I think they
may have overlooked. This can and should be done in a way that is not
confrontational or offensive. Just ask questions and most medical care
providers will answer them to your satisfaction (don't continue to see
the ones who will not). You always need to participate in your animals'
medical care, not just sit back and watch.

--
Lynne

barb
February 11th 07, 08:14 PM
She's beautiful! So glad she is home again.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

sheelagh
February 11th 07, 09:45 PM
On 11 Feb, 18:59, Lynne > wrote:
> on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:29:07 GMT, "sheelagh"
>
> > wrote:
> > To be perfectly honest, I am a bit peeved with vets in
> > general presently. Nothing against them, but I can get one to agree
> > with another, & surely it is their job to think of these things,
> > rather than friends Who seem to know far better than they do!
>
> Unfortunately, vets (and doctors) are not fully aware of all of the
> circumstances in every single one of their patients' cases. It is our
> job as pet owners (and parents, if you have children) to be the central
> repository of all of the medical history of our charges. Never assume
> they have thoroughly reviewed the charts and history of their patients.
> It is likely they haven't. They generally only look at the last visits
> notes and the list of medications and allergies unless you give them
> reason to do otherwise.
>
> I always make a point of reviewing the pertinent points of my pets'
> medical histories when we visit our vet. I also then go over my concerns
> for the current visit. If anything isn't absolutely clear or if it
> doesn't seem right, I ask questions or remind them of facts I think they
> may have overlooked. This can and should be done in a way that is not
> confrontational or offensive. Just ask questions and most medical care
> providers will answer them to your satisfaction (don't continue to see
> the ones who will not). You always need to participate in your animals'
> medical care, not just sit back and watch.
>
> --
> Lynne

Fair Comment, you are right on this one.

But please don't think that I ever go with confrontation on my mind,
because It is quite the reverse. I hate confrontation!

I do try to make a point of asking about anything that I don't
understand, but in this recent case, I understood every word she told
me...
What I didn't understand in this case was why she gave me no choice
about my cats care.

By not turning up for work, or arranging for outside help to be called
in, I felt that her attitude was rather nonchalant regarding Lilly.
It gave me no choice other than to await her convenience.
& having told me how dire the consequences could be if it was not
caught in time, then not turning up for work too, she made me feel as
though I was of no consequence & neither was my cat either.

If she knew how ill my cat was (having had the chance to talk to me
about the case, a day to observe her, & diagnosing the problem
correctly as well...) I felt that she did have a choice, where as I
felt that I didn't.
If she had given me a call even, or possibly access to my cat, I would
have had about her care, & who cared for her.
By utterly ignoring me for 24 hours, & my cat also, she put my cat's
life at risk, & it was exactly that that made me feel that I could
never trust her again.
The courtesy of one single call would have made all the difference in
this instance.
As you say, I wanted to be a part of my cat's care, but I was blocked
out, lied to, & it nearly cost Lilly her life. In my book, that is not
what you look for when choosing who cares for your nearest and
dearest.

You put your finger right on the button when you say that I should
have been a part of that care. I certainly wanted to be, but wasn't
given the slightest choice in it.
That is exactly what made me so angry.
Paul waited for over 10 hours for even a veterinary nurse to show up
so that we could have access to her, but no one ever came!! To charge
me for care that was never provided hardly instills confidence in
her.....

I might have made light of the issue in saying that we had liberated
her, but in reality, I was fuming angry, but saw no gain in arguing
with her at all.
I merely wanted to take her out of a situation that I felt was wrong
for my cat.
In fact the only thing I didn't understand was why I had no input at
all in my cats care, which is why I will never set foot in that
surgery with any cat that I feel needs good, trustworthy care, with a
two way relationship.
The only thing that we don't see eye to eye on, is the relationship
between surgeries.
If *I* had not called the new surgery, which as you say is my
responsibility if I see an error that I don't want to harm my cat...
So, really, I agree with you..
S;o)