PDA

View Full Version : Carpet treatment for my guests' comfort?

Bryan S.
February 11th 07, 02:17 PM
Hello there.

We regularly have guests at our home, and two of them are allergic to
cats. I'm wondering if any of you have found any sort of solution
(carpet treatment/air treatment) which helps keep guests who may be
allergic to cats comfortable while they're visiting.

Thanks for your time.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

Gail
February 11th 07, 02:35 PM
I find vacuuming frequently definitely helps with those allergic.
Gail
"Bryan S." > wrote in message
> Hello there.
>
> We regularly have guests at our home, and two of them are allergic to
> cats. I'm wondering if any of you have found any sort of solution
> (carpet treatment/air treatment) which helps keep guests who may be
> allergic to cats comfortable while they're visiting.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>
> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> Shorthair)

Moongal
February 11th 07, 02:39 PM
A good Hepa air purifier can help. We recently got one, and it definately
makes a difference.

"Bryan S." > wrote in message
> Hello there.
>
> We regularly have guests at our home, and two of them are allergic to
> cats. I'm wondering if any of you have found any sort of solution
> (carpet treatment/air treatment) which helps keep guests who may be
> allergic to cats comfortable while they're visiting.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>
> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> Shorthair)

Louis
February 11th 07, 03:06 PM
"Gail" > wrote in message
k.net...
> I find vacuuming frequently definitely helps with those allergic.
> Gail
> "Bryan S." > wrote in message
> > Hello there.
> >
> > We regularly have guests at our home, and two of them are allergic to
> > cats. I'm wondering if any of you have found any sort of solution
> > (carpet treatment/air treatment) which helps keep guests who may be
> > allergic to cats comfortable while they're visiting.
> >
> > Thanks for your time.
> >
> > --
> > Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
> >
> > ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> > Shorthair)

You want all that dust out of the air. First of all, get a really good air
purifier for the room. Secondly, vaccum with a true HEPA filter. The bag
MUST say .3 microns / 99.97%. Do this several hours or even a day before
the guests arrive, to give the air filter sufficient time to clean the
particles. Keep the pets of the room after cleaning of course.

Now if it is children playing on the carpet, they must wear long pants and
long sleeve shirts or they can get a reaction on their skin. Also, they
will need to wash their hands before they touch any part of their face, and
once when they leave. Another strategy is to lay down a clean mat for them
to play on.

Regards,
Louis

Bryan S.
February 11th 07, 03:14 PM
[Gail )]
[Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:35:01 GMT]

> "Bryan S." > wrote in message
> > Hello there.
> >
> > We regularly have guests at our home, and two of them are allergic to
> > cats. I'm wondering if any of you have found any sort of solution
> > (carpet treatment/air treatment) which helps keep guests who may be
> > allergic to cats comfortable while they're visiting.
> >
> > Thanks for your time.

> I find vacuuming frequently definitely helps with those allergic.
> Gail

[fixed top-post.. no charge! :D]

Well, of course we vacuum, but one of our guests is particularly
allergic, and he was sniffling all night the last time he was here,
despite the fact that Trouble spends very little time in this room.

*sigh*

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

Bryan S.
February 11th 07, 03:15 PM
[Moongal )]
[Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:39:56 GMT]

> A good Hepa air purifier can help. We recently got one, and it definately
> makes a difference.

Hrm... thanks! Perhaps we'll look into one of those ion fans.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

Bryan S.
February 11th 07, 03:15 PM
[Louis )]
[Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:06:44 -0500]

> You want all that dust out of the air. First of all, get a really good air
> purifier for the room. Secondly, vaccum with a true HEPA filter. The bag
> MUST say .3 microns / 99.97%. Do this several hours or even a day before
> the guests arrive, to give the air filter sufficient time to clean the
> particles. Keep the pets of the room after cleaning of course.
>
> Now if it is children playing on the carpet, they must wear long pants and
> long sleeve shirts or they can get a reaction on their skin. Also, they
> will need to wash their hands before they touch any part of their face, and
> once when they leave. Another strategy is to lay down a clean mat for them
> to play on.

Thanks very much for the tips, Louis... good stuff!

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

Lynne
February 11th 07, 03:43 PM
on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:17:04 GMT, Bryan S. > wrote:

> Hello there.
>
> We regularly have guests at our home, and two of them are allergic to
> cats. I'm wondering if any of you have found any sort of solution
> (carpet treatment/air treatment) which helps keep guests who may be
> allergic to cats comfortable while they're visiting.
>
> Thanks for your time.

In addition to vacuuming with a true HEPA vacuum and adding a good quality
HEPA filter to the room, you could also keep that door shut and keep the
kitties out all the time. My son is allergic to the animals and his door
stays shut 24/7. Granted, I'm sure he drags allergens in there with him,
but I vacuum with a Dyson and he has a HEPA filter in his room. I also
wipe the cats down with Allerpet once a week. I'm not sure if it helps or
not, but it's supposed to neutralize cat dander. (They make a dog version,
too.) Frequent brushing also helps minimize the flying fur and dander.
Finally, if you ever steam clean your own carpet, you can get a cleaner
with allergen reducers. I do this, too, but only when there is an obvious
need to break out the steam cleaner. Remember to keep pets off the carpet
until fully dry if you do steam clean.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
February 11th 07, 06:28 PM
On Sun 11 Feb 2007 10:43:07a, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m>:

> I also
> wipe the cats down with Allerpet once a week. I'm not sure if
> it helps or not, but it's supposed to neutralize cat dander.

I think I'm going to have to try this. I've been looking at allergy
neutralizer products, too. Shamrock has atopic allergies (dust
mites, mold spores, pollens, cat dander, etc) and while he's been
doing well on the medication he's on, he's having a slight flareup.
The air is so dry here because of the cold snap and my humidifier
can't keep up. Since dust mites live in humidity levels of 40%+, I
imagine that dead dust mite bodies are causing his flare up, and of
course you just can't get all that no matter how clean you are (and
I'm not the best, but I've sure seen worse!). I wonder how
effective tannic acid is as a allergen neutralizer?
http://www.alerg.com/page/A/PROD/cln4/AVC1100

I also ordered protective mattress and pillow sleeves and will see
how that works out. I have all of the same allergies he does. Also
have Dyson and try to vaccum a lot. Need to work harder on that but
time runs out during the week!

--
Cheryl

Lynne
February 11th 07, 06:49 PM
on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:28:42 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> I imagine that dead dust mite bodies are causing his flare up

Actually, it's the dust mite excrement that causes allergies. So if they
are dead, they aren't pooping. Cleaning up that old waste or neutralizing
it is a very good idea, and your Dyson ought to be up for the task.

If you haven't yet, run your Dyson's HEPA filter through the dishwasher.
You're supposed to do this every 6 months--something I didn't realize until
I'd had it for about 4 years. Ooops! Be sure to let it dry thoroughly
before using it again.

I do use the mattress and the pillowcase covers and I think they make a
huge difference. The bedroom is the most important room to keep allergen
free. My son bathes before bed so that he doesn't bring all the
environmental allergens into bed with him. We've almost got this down to a
science here.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
February 11th 07, 07:12 PM
On Sun 11 Feb 2007 01:49:30p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:28:42 GMT, Cheryl
> > wrote:
>
>> I imagine that dead dust mite bodies are causing his flare up
>
> Actually, it's the dust mite excrement that causes allergies.
> So if they are dead, they aren't pooping. Cleaning up that old
> waste or neutralizing it is a very good idea, and your Dyson
> ought to be up for the task.

I read that their body parts (roach body parts too, but I don't
have roaches) are a big source of allergens. It would make sense
that it's their fragmented parts at this time of year, though I did
just find a leaking water pipe and mold in a ceiling. Plumber did
his job, and now I need a contractor to fix the ceiling.

"The dust mite allergen is their tiny feces and body fragments
which are components of dust. These particles are so small they can
become airborne and inhaled when dust is disturbed."
http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/DustMites311.shtml

Thanks for the tip about the Dyson. It's due for it now. When I
just vaccumed and emptied the bin, the holes where the filter is
were clogged with debris. It's about 6 months old now.

I've been a cleaning fool today and kicking up all kinds of dust
from spots that you rarely look at. Taking a break and clearing my
nose. LOL

--
Cheryl

Lynne
February 11th 07, 07:47 PM
on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:12:58 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> "The dust mite allergen is their tiny feces and body fragments
> which are components of dust. These particles are so small they can
> become airborne and inhaled when dust is disturbed."
> http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/DustMites311.shtml

Ah, well that does make sense!

Kind of disgusting if you think too hard about it. But that's why the gods
created the Dyson. ;-)

--
Lynne

Cheryl
February 11th 07, 11:26 PM
On Sun 11 Feb 2007 02:47:28p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m>:

> Kind of disgusting if you think too hard about it. But that's
> why the gods created the Dyson. ;-)

Very disgusting and I try to think about it as little as possible.
LOL

--
Cheryl