PDA

View Full Version : Horrid thing happend, I am in shock

honeybunch
February 12th 07, 12:13 AM
My sweet little cat for no reason turned on me and left 3 deep gouges
on my arm and wouldn't back off. For no reason. I was half asleep.

first odd thing was this morning I dicovered what I think was a worm,
pink, as thick as a piece of very thick thread about 1-1/2 inches long
in a smear of clear 1/2 dried up liquid. He could have vomited it up
before breakfast.

I felt a bit under the weather today so I kind of lounged around on
the bed reading and drinking tea. This afternoon he jumped up next to
my feet and cuddled up. Then he suddenly jumped up to look out the
window I got out of bed to see what it was that so had attracted his
attention. That's when he jumped on me with claws and fangs barred
with full puffed up body and loud deep snarls. He wouldnt leave the
room and obviously wanted to kill me. He wouldnt go away. I threw a
blanket over him and shoved him out of the room and shut the door but
when I came out he was waiting to pounce on me again! I knew I had to
put him out of the house and I did even though it wasnt easy at all.
He stayed in the space between the door and the storm door. When I
went outside via the back door, and opened the storm door he went
crazy again.

I am absolutely horrified by this. He has been living in doors with
my since last September. Vet says he is 1-1/2 years old and weighs 10
pounds. Several weeks ago, he was neutered, had a urinalysis, and a
stool culture which showed he had tapeworms and was treated for it.
The urinanalyis showed he had a bladder infection and he took an
antibiotic for it and has stopped ****ing all over the place. He also
got rabies and distemper shots. So he is equiped to return to living
in the rough.

I am dumbfounded on why would he do this to me? and what the heck was
the thing that looked like a worm on the floor in a puddle of clear
liquid? There was never anything in his litter box that resembled
worms. What should I do for these deep scratches on my arm? I
poured peroxide on them and then some iodine.

He did something like this once before when he was surprised by the
noise my rusty old dryer made. He jumped on my leg with his claws
out. But nothing like today and today there was absolutely no
discernable motive for him to turn on me so agressively.

Cheryl
February 12th 07, 12:25 AM
On Sun 11 Feb 2007 06:13:58p, honeybunch wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:1171235638.113470.250380
@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>:

> What should I do for these deep scratches on my arm? I
> poured peroxide on them and then some iodine.
>
> He did something like this once before when he was surprised by the
> noise my rusty old dryer made. He jumped on my leg with his claws
> out. But nothing like today and today there was absolutely no
> discernable motive for him to turn on me so agressively.

See your doctor for your wounds. Scratches to you aren't nearly as
bad as bites, but can be depending on your own immune system. Your
cat was probably reacting to something that scared him. It is called
redirected aggression. If it wasn't something external, I'd make an
appointment for a vet visit and bring up this new behavior and
mention anything else going on, no matter how silly.

--
Cheryl

Tara Legale
February 12th 07, 12:33 AM
Bring your cat to the vet tomorrow.

Lynne
February 12th 07, 12:35 AM
on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 23:13:58 GMT, "honeybunch" > wrote:

> first odd thing was this morning I dicovered what I think was a worm,
> pink, as thick as a piece of very thick thread about 1-1/2 inches long
> in a smear of clear 1/2 dried up liquid. He could have vomited it up
> before breakfast.

Sounds like he has worms.

> I felt a bit under the weather today so I kind of lounged around on
> the bed reading and drinking tea. This afternoon he jumped up next to
> my feet and cuddled up. Then he suddenly jumped up to look out the
> window I got out of bed to see what it was that so had attracted his
> attention. That's when he jumped on me with claws and fangs barred
> with full puffed up body and loud deep snarls. He wouldnt leave the
> room and obviously wanted to kill me. He wouldnt go away.

Sounds like he saw something outside that either scared him or ****ed him
off and you were the target of redirected aggression.

--
Lynne

cybercat
February 12th 07, 01:18 AM
"Tara Legale" > wrote in message
> Bring your cat to the vet tomorrow.

Are you taking yours in?

Tara Legale
February 12th 07, 03:02 AM
"cybercat" > wrote
> Are you taking yours in?

Yep, I'm calling them tomorrow. However, I live in a small town with two
vets. I've heard good and bad about each. I wish I still lived in Chicago
so I could go to the Chicago Cat Clinic whom I trusted.

MaryL
February 12th 07, 04:03 AM
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My sweet little cat for no reason turned on me and left 3 deep gouges
> on my arm and wouldn't back off. For no reason. I was half asleep.
>
> first odd thing was this morning I dicovered what I think was a worm,
> pink, as thick as a piece of very thick thread about 1-1/2 inches long
> in a smear of clear 1/2 dried up liquid. He could have vomited it up
> before breakfast.
>
> I felt a bit under the weather today so I kind of lounged around on
> the bed reading and drinking tea. This afternoon he jumped up next to
> my feet and cuddled up. Then he suddenly jumped up to look out the
> window I got out of bed to see what it was that so had attracted his
> attention. That's when he jumped on me with claws and fangs barred
> with full puffed up body and loud deep snarls. He wouldnt leave the
> room and obviously wanted to kill me. He wouldnt go away. I threw a
> blanket over him and shoved him out of the room and shut the door but
> when I came out he was waiting to pounce on me again! I knew I had to
> put him out of the house and I did even though it wasnt easy at all.
> He stayed in the space between the door and the storm door. When I
> went outside via the back door, and opened the storm door he went
> crazy again.
>
> I am absolutely horrified by this. He has been living in doors with
> my since last September. Vet says he is 1-1/2 years old and weighs 10
> pounds. Several weeks ago, he was neutered, had a urinalysis, and a
> stool culture which showed he had tapeworms and was treated for it.
> The urinanalyis showed he had a bladder infection and he took an
> antibiotic for it and has stopped ****ing all over the place. He also
> got rabies and distemper shots. So he is equiped to return to living
> in the rough.
>
> I am dumbfounded on why would he do this to me? and what the heck was
> the thing that looked like a worm on the floor in a puddle of clear
> liquid? There was never anything in his litter box that resembled
> worms. What should I do for these deep scratches on my arm? I
> poured peroxide on them and then some iodine.
>
> He did something like this once before when he was surprised by the
> noise my rusty old dryer made. He jumped on my leg with his claws
> out. But nothing like today and today there was absolutely no
> discernable motive for him to turn on me so agressively.

As Lynne said, this could be redirected aggression. On one occasion, you
know that he reacted to the noise of your dryer, and *something* outdoors
attracted his attention this time. It could be something as simple as
seeing another cats. Some cats are very territorial, and the result may be
that your cat attacks you instead of the object that created the action.
Here is a site you may want to read:
ttp://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression3.html. You might also benefit
from using Feliway (preferably the plug-in diffuser) for awhile. It can
have a calming effect on cats. You should also have your cat tested for
parasites. Be sure to describe the worm-like object to your vet.

MaryL

cybercat
February 12th 07, 11:22 PM
"Tara Legale" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote
>> Are you taking yours in?
>
> Yep, I'm calling them tomorrow. However, I live in a small town with two
> vets. I've heard good and bad about each. I wish I still lived in
> Chicago so I could go to the Chicago Cat Clinic whom I trusted.

Take your cat to the vet. Drive to the next town if you need to. Find out
where others who have pets take theirs.