PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Feast discontinuing seafood filets in aspic

Cheryl
February 13th 07, 02:49 AM
I picked up a few cans at the grocery today; flavors I couldn't find
in my monthly shopping at PetSmart. On the cans was an announcement
that they're discontinuing the seafood filet variety. I can't find
anything on their web site about this. Mine like them a lot, even
though they don't get them often. Is it safe to assume that if
they're discontinuing them that they're unhealthy meals?

--
Cheryl

MaryL
February 13th 07, 03:05 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
>I picked up a few cans at the grocery today; flavors I couldn't find
> in my monthly shopping at PetSmart. On the cans was an announcement
> that they're discontinuing the seafood filet variety. I can't find
> anything on their web site about this. Mine like them a lot, even
> though they don't get them often. Is it safe to assume that if
> they're discontinuing them that they're unhealthy meals?
>
> --
> Cheryl

No, I don't think you can make that assumption. I think it is more likely
that it is a variety that doesn't sell well and that they are basing this
decision on "the bottom line" (profit, that is).

MaryL

Cheryl
February 13th 07, 03:30 AM
On Mon 12 Feb 2007 10:05:50p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> No, I don't think you can make that assumption. I think it is
> more likely that it is a variety that doesn't sell well and that
> they are basing this decision on "the bottom line" (profit, that
> is).

Strange. I'd hate to think the worst, that the food isn't healthy. I
do have to say that these varieties gross me out, but Shamrock and
Scarlett love them. They are probably the stinkiest varieties of cat
food I've ever encountered. Stinky is good when you need to get a cat
to eat something. Anything something.

--
Cheryl

cindys
February 13th 07, 05:36 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Mon 12 Feb 2007 10:05:50p, MaryL wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> No, I don't think you can make that assumption. I think it is
>> more likely that it is a variety that doesn't sell well and that
>> they are basing this decision on "the bottom line" (profit, that
>> is).
>
> Strange. I'd hate to think the worst, that the food isn't healthy. I
> do have to say that these varieties gross me out, but Shamrock and
> Scarlett love them. They are probably the stinkiest varieties of cat
> food I've ever encountered. Stinky is good when you need to get a cat
> to eat something. Anything something.
----------
Have you tried offering them Tuna in Aspic (aka "fish heads")? (I think it's
from ProPlan.) Our vet keeps a supply of this as the food of last resort. A
cat who won't eat anything else will eat this.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Phil P.
February 13th 07, 09:03 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> I picked up a few cans at the grocery today; flavors I couldn't find
> in my monthly shopping at PetSmart. On the cans was an announcement
> that they're discontinuing the seafood filet variety.

Oh no! I have a few diabetic cats that I've weaned off insulin with Seafood
Filets Tuna & Oceanfish and Ocean Whitefish & Tuna. They're the only diets
that work almost every time with diabetic cats .

I can't find
> anything on their web site about this. Mine like them a lot, even
> though they don't get them often. Is it safe to assume that if
> they're discontinuing them that they're unhealthy meals?

Not at all. There are only 3 diets in the Seafood Filets line. They
probably don't sell well enough to justify the shelf space. The Flaked fish
diets are better sellers (because they're much higher in phosphorus).

Phil

cindys
February 13th 07, 01:02 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> On Mon 12 Feb 2007 10:05:50p, MaryL wrote in
>> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>> >:
>>
>>> No, I don't think you can make that assumption. I think it is
>>> more likely that it is a variety that doesn't sell well and that
>>> they are basing this decision on "the bottom line" (profit, that
>>> is).
>>
>> Strange. I'd hate to think the worst, that the food isn't healthy. I
>> do have to say that these varieties gross me out, but Shamrock and
>> Scarlett love them. They are probably the stinkiest varieties of cat
>> food I've ever encountered. Stinky is good when you need to get a cat
>> to eat something. Anything something.
> ----------
> Have you tried offering them Tuna in Aspic (aka "fish heads")? (I think
> it's from ProPlan.) Our vet keeps a supply of this as the food of last
> resort. A cat who won't eat anything else will eat this.
-----------
Okay, I found it. It's called "Sardines and Tuna in Aspic" and it is
produced by ProPlan. It's available at Petco and Petsmart or online at:

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product_detail.asp?pf%5Fid=3021415&dept%5Fid=6&brand%5Fid=291&Page=

When my Molly was dying from CRF, and she was refusing to eat everything,
she was willing to eat this (she was also willing to eat the steak that I
bought at the butcher shop just for her and cooked just for her and chopped
up and handfed to her --- I generally don't buy steaks for myself because
they're so expensive. I would have happily provided Molly any food on the
face of the earth that she would have been willing to eat. Unfortunately,
old age and CRF are relentless. Molly's been gone since October...)
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

February 13th 07, 03:55 PM
"Phil P." > wrote:

>Oh no! I have a few diabetic cats that I've weaned off insulin with Seafood
>Filets Tuna & Oceanfish and Ocean Whitefish & Tuna. They're the only diets
>that work almost every time with diabetic cats .

Phil,

Are any of the FF foods suitable for a cat on a renal diet? He is a 17
yr old senior who is on a preemptive Hills K/D prescription diet and
is not suffering from renal failure - just flirting with high normal
BUN.

I only want something on those days that he needs an appetite
stimulant since he quickly gets bored with any diet and sometimes just
picks at his food.

-mhd

Cheryl
February 18th 07, 01:32 AM
On Tue 13 Feb 2007 04:03:24a, Phil P. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:[email protected]>:

<healthyness question>
> Not at all. There are only 3 diets in the Seafood Filets line.
> They probably don't sell well enough to justify the shelf space.
> The Flaked fish diets are better sellers (because they're much
> higher in phosphorus).

Well, they like the flaked fish and shrimp, too, and don't get that
often either. All I know is I kept reading about seafood flavored
diets shouldn't be fed as often. I'm glad to hear they probably
aren't pulled due to being unhealthy. My cats mostly like the
"feast" line rather than flaked, marinated morsals (won't touch
them), sliced (they like chicken and hearts, and sliced chicken), and
won't touch any of the roasted. They're weird.

Thanks for the comments. :)

--
Cheryl

cybercat
February 18th 07, 01:52 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in>

>My cats mostly like the
> "feast" line rather than flaked, marinated morsals (won't touch
> them), sliced (they like chicken and hearts, and sliced chicken), and
> won't touch any of the roasted. They're weird.

The "feast" line is the one that usually has beef, chicken, or some
kind of meat as the first ingredient. That's what my cats love too.
(Kroger closed out the Turkey Feast at 34 cents a can, so I bought,
like, ALL of them lol.)

Cheryl
February 18th 07, 02:24 AM
On Sat 17 Feb 2007 08:52:43p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

> The "feast" line is the one that usually has beef, chicken, or some
> kind of meat as the first ingredient. That's what my cats love too.
> (Kroger closed out the Turkey Feast at 34 cents a can, so I bought,
> like, ALL of them lol.)

Good price! I haven't seen a Kroger up here. That's the store we shop
at when we go to Myrtle Beach. You have to have a card to shop there,
or maybe you used to. Up here, they go on "sale" for 3 for $2, or
sometimes at the PetSmart @ .45 per, but mostly closer to $.60. The
Pro Plan I like to feed my two canned food eaters for breakfast
finally came out in 5.5 oz cans rather than the 3 oz. I vary the Pro
Plan chicken and rice, or Fancy Feast Chicken or Turkey (grilled) or
Friskies Chicken or Turkey Prime Filet for breakfast. Dinner varies
between any flavor. Whatever they will eat. But first meal is always
poultry.

--
Cheryl

Cat Protector
February 18th 07, 04:13 AM
I don't know how people can feed their cat that crap! All filler and no
thriller.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
>I picked up a few cans at the grocery today; flavors I couldn't find
> in my monthly shopping at PetSmart. On the cans was an announcement
> that they're discontinuing the seafood filet variety. I can't find
> anything on their web site about this. Mine like them a lot, even
> though they don't get them often. Is it safe to assume that if
> they're discontinuing them that they're unhealthy meals?
>
> --
> Cheryl

Cat Protector
February 18th 07, 04:16 AM
The best food I found on the market has been Blue Buffalo Spa Select for
cats. There is no corn, wheat or soy in it and no byproducts. Pretty much a
human grade level of food. I feed it to all 3 of my cats and they love it.

--

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Mon 12 Feb 2007 10:05:50p, MaryL wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> No, I don't think you can make that assumption. I think it is
>> more likely that it is a variety that doesn't sell well and that
>> they are basing this decision on "the bottom line" (profit, that
>> is).
>
> Strange. I'd hate to think the worst, that the food isn't healthy. I
> do have to say that these varieties gross me out, but Shamrock and
> Scarlett love them. They are probably the stinkiest varieties of cat
> food I've ever encountered. Stinky is good when you need to get a cat
> to eat something. Anything something.
>
> --
> Cheryl

cybercat
February 19th 07, 01:07 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> Good price! I haven't seen a Kroger up here. That's the store we shop
> at when we go to Myrtle Beach. You have to have a card to shop there,
> or maybe you used to.

Hmm, they are just regular stores here and in Texas and Florida, or were
when I lived in those places. Here, they are the best because they have
better sales, and actually started having sales good enough to get the
competition
going. That said, I have NEVER seen FF that cheap! The cheapest ever was 44
cents at Walmart.

>Up here, they go on "sale" for 3 for $2, or
> sometimes at the PetSmart @ .45 per, but mostly closer to $.60.

See, what ****es me off is that Harris Teeter, the closes store to me,
charges 60 cents a can for FF. Grrr! That's too much, I mean, it's 3 oz of
food! I'm glad I happened to shop when they had the closeout.

>The Pro Plan I like to feed my two canned food eaters > for breakfast
> finally came out in 5.5 oz cans rather than the 3 oz. I vary the Pro Plan
> chicken and rice, or Fancy Feast Chicken or Turkey (grilled) or
> Friskies Chicken or Turkey Prime Filet for breakfast. Dinner varies
> between any flavor. Whatever they will eat. But first meal is always
> poultry.

I've seen ProPlan at Petfooddirect.com, the ingredients look really good. My
problem with my cats is the same one most of us have--they want what they
want. I put down a fish variety of FF and Boo looked at me like it wasn't
even FOOD. Like, "What? Where is my dinner?"
*shaking my head* But she is such a doll. She is still hanging in there at 9
lbs, down from 18, and FF 12 hours apart did it.

She conducts stealth raids on Gracie's dish (Boo gulps, Gracie nibbles, and
even though I feed them on different floors, Boo will wait until I am
distracted and go get Gracie's. I used to shoo her, then one time, I
appeared and she ran from me and that got to me. Now I let her
get Gracie's and just figure that half-can into her diet, giving her less at
night. She feels like she is getting away with something, and I don't have
to chase her. heh

Sherry
February 19th 07, 06:12 AM
On Feb 17, 10:13?pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> I don't know how people can feed their cat that crap! All filler and no
> thriller.
>
> --
I'm really glad you've seen the error of your ways and got your cats
off Friskies.
Spa Select sounds interesting. But I don't get the whole carrots,
sweet potatoes, parsley and cranberries part.

Sherry

Sherry
February 19th 07, 06:19 AM
On Feb 12, 9:30�pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Mon 12 Feb 2007 10:05:50p, MaryL wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
> > No, I don't think you can make that assumption. *I think it is
> > more likely that it is a variety that doesn't sell well and that
> > they are basing this decision on "the bottom line" (profit, that
> > is).
>
> Strange. I'd hate to think the worst, that the food isn't healthy. I
> do have to say that these varieties gross me out, but Shamrock and
> Scarlett love them. They are probably the stinkiest varieties of cat
> food I've ever encountered. Stinky is good when you need to get a cat
> to eat something. Anything something.
>
> --
> Cheryl

They gross me out too. Weirdly enough, nobody here likes those
varieties. But they'll stampede for roasted chicken, grilled chicken
or that new Salmon & Shrimp mushy one.

Sherry

Sherry
February 19th 07, 04:28 PM
On Feb 18, 7:07�pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>
> > Good price! I haven't seen a Kroger up here. That's the store we shop
> > at when we go to Myrtle Beach. You have to have a card to shop there,
> > or maybe you used to.
>
> Hmm, they are just regular stores here and in Texas and Florida, or were
> when I lived in those places. Here, they are the best because they have
> better sales, and actually started having sales good enough to get the
> competition
> going. That said, I have NEVER seen FF that cheap! The cheapest ever was 44
> cents at Walmart.
>
> >Up here, they go on "sale" for 3 for $2, or
> > sometimes at the PetSmart @ .45 per, but mostly closer to $.60.
>
> See, what ****es me off is that Harris Teeter, the closes store to me,
> charges 60 cents a can for FF. Grrr! That's too much, I mean, it's 3 oz of
> food! I'm glad I happened to shop when they had the closeout.
>
> >The Pro Plan I like to feed my two canned food eaters > for breakfast
> > finally came out in 5.5 oz cans rather than the 3 oz. I vary the Pro *Plan
> > chicken and rice, or Fancy Feast Chicken or Turkey (grilled) or
> > Friskies Chicken or Turkey Prime Filet for breakfast. Dinner varies
> > between any flavor. Whatever they will eat. But first meal is always
> > poultry.
>
> I've seen ProPlan at Petfooddirect.com, the ingredients look really good. My
> problem with my cats is the same one most of us have--they want what they
> want. I put down a fish variety of FF and Boo looked at me like it wasn't
> even FOOD. Like, "What? Where is my dinner?"
> *shaking my head* But she is such a doll. She is still hanging in there at 9
> lbs, down from 18, and FF 12 hours apart did it.

snipped
I've read that overall, PP canned isn't as healthy has some varieties
of FF. My cats do prefer PP dry over any other brand of dry food
though.
PP canned is over sixty cents a can here at Petsmart, unless it's on
sale. My bunch like the Chicken & Salmon and Chicken & Rice. I always
try anything new, hoping it will jump-start Bootsie into eating more.
There's a new variety of Sheba which is ridiculously expensive and God
knows what is in it, since Sheba isn't exactly a brand whose
reputation is for being "healthy." Boots loved it. It was weird stuff.
It honestly looked like real shredded chicken breast.
I tried the Spa Select too; they didn't like it. The kind I bought had
that mushy-but-not-juicy texture they don't like.

Sherry

Sherry