PDA

View Full Version : How to choose between a Pomeranian and a toy Fox Terrier

February 13th 07, 05:44 AM
I have been looking for an indoor small dog to keep me company. I had
two cats, one that acts like a cat loving but aloof and one that acted
like a dog, but he has recently passed away. I don't think I could
replace him with another cat, he didn't act like a cat. I want a pet
to cuddle and sleep with.

Here is my situation...

I have 2 outside large friendly dogs, 4 years old and 14 years old. I
have one small long hair cat, a year old. My first cat, Spike died
about a month ago and I still miss his dog like characteristics, so I
thought I would look for a dog.

My husband isn't keen on the idea but would like a toy fox terrier
like one he had when he grew up. They seem cute and appealing, but
look a lot like Chihuahua, and I don't have great memories about this
breed, cuz I was repeated bit from my uncle's Chihuahua.

A co-worker raises pomeranians and has two puppies for sale right
now. An all white girl and an orange male. I looked them up and they
look very lovable. I wouldn't want one for show, but to play and keep
me company, they look and read like they would fit the bill. How
badly do they shed?

Can anyone give me their opinion? Is one breed better at
companionship than the other? What about training and obedience?

I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

Dorisheeke

Matthew
February 13th 07, 05:51 AM
No offense If these questions were about cats we could answer it a dog
group might do a better job of answering these questions.

But personally no pet is the same there are no breeds of any pet that are
designated as lap animal or cuddlers. Each animal is different

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have been looking for an indoor small dog to keep me company. I had
> two cats, one that acts like a cat loving but aloof and one that acted
> like a dog, but he has recently passed away. I don't think I could
> replace him with another cat, he didn't act like a cat. I want a pet
> to cuddle and sleep with.
>
> Here is my situation...
>
> I have 2 outside large friendly dogs, 4 years old and 14 years old. I
> have one small long hair cat, a year old. My first cat, Spike died
> about a month ago and I still miss his dog like characteristics, so I
> thought I would look for a dog.
>
> My husband isn't keen on the idea but would like a toy fox terrier
> like one he had when he grew up. They seem cute and appealing, but
> look a lot like Chihuahua, and I don't have great memories about this
> breed, cuz I was repeated bit from my uncle's Chihuahua.
>
> A co-worker raises pomeranians and has two puppies for sale right
> now. An all white girl and an orange male. I looked them up and they
> look very lovable. I wouldn't want one for show, but to play and keep
> me company, they look and read like they would fit the bill. How
> badly do they shed?
>
> Can anyone give me their opinion? Is one breed better at
> companionship than the other? What about training and obedience?
>
> I would appreciate any advice anyone has.
>
> Dorisheeke

Phil P.
February 13th 07, 08:48 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have been looking for an indoor small dog to keep me company. I had
> two cats, one that acts like a cat loving but aloof and one that acted
> like a dog, but he has recently passed away. I don't think I could
> replace him with another cat, he didn't act like a cat. I want a pet
> to cuddle and sleep with.
>
> Here is my situation...
>
> I have 2 outside large friendly dogs, 4 years old and 14 years old. I
> have one small long hair cat, a year old. My first cat, Spike died
> about a month ago and I still miss his dog like characteristics, so I
> thought I would look for a dog.
>
> My husband isn't keen on the idea but would like a toy fox terrier
> like one he had when he grew up. They seem cute and appealing, but
> look a lot like Chihuahua, and I don't have great memories about this
> breed, cuz I was repeated bit from my uncle's Chihuahua.
>
> A co-worker raises pomeranians and has two puppies for sale right
> now. An all white girl and an orange male. I looked them up and they
> look very lovable. I wouldn't want one for show, but to play and keep
> me company, they look and read like they would fit the bill. How
> badly do they shed?
>
> Can anyone give me their opinion? Is one breed better at
> companionship than the other? What about training and obedience?
>
> I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

Go to your local shelter and adopt a mutt. They're generally healthier than
pedigrees and have better dispositions-- plus you'll be saving a life in the
bargain. Its a win/win situation.

Phil

--
Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die.

bookie
February 13th 07, 04:39 PM
On 13 Feb, 05:44, wrote:
> I have been looking for an indoor small dog to keep me company. I had
> two cats, one that acts like a cat loving but aloof and one that acted
> like a dog, but he has recently passed away. I don't think I could
> replace him with another cat, he didn't act like a cat. I want a pet
> to cuddle and sleep with.
>
> Here is my situation...
>
> I have 2 outside large friendly dogs, 4 years old and 14 years old. I
> have one small long hair cat, a year old. My first cat, Spike died
> about a month ago and I still miss his dog like characteristics, so I
> thought I would look for a dog.
>
> My husband isn't keen on the idea but would like a toy fox terrier
> like one he had when he grew up. They seem cute and appealing, but
> look a lot like Chihuahua, and I don't have great memories about this
> breed, cuz I was repeated bit from my uncle's Chihuahua.
>
> A co-worker raises pomeranians and has two puppies for sale right
> now. An all white girl and an orange male. I looked them up and they
> look very lovable. I wouldn't want one for show, but to play and keep
> me company, they look and read like they would fit the bill. How
> badly do they shed?
>
> Can anyone give me their opinion? Is one breed better at
> companionship than the other? What about training and obedience?
>
> I would appreciate any advice anyone has.
>
> Dorisheeke

go to a shelter and get a rescue dog, they need the home and they will
be so grateful you will be smothered with love form them. Also if you
get an older dog (say 8 years or older even) they will be clamer and
more likely to be a better companion without all the friskiness of a
young pup AND they will already have been housetrained etc so you
won;t have that aggro to deal with. These pups need homes much more,
you know it makes sense.

ALSO if you get a mongrel dog instead of a specific breed you will get
a much sturdier, stronger, healthier and characterful dog who is more
likely to live longer (15 years or more), pedigrees have all sorts of
inbred and inherited problems, both healthewise and behaviourally,
and they have much shorter lives too than a crossbreed or a mongrel.

so there you go, decision made, get yourself down to the dogs home and
get yourself a little rascal, the one with the cheekiest face and the
scruffiest coat, the one which everyone else has overlooked becase he
is 'too old' or has only 3 legs or whatever and you will have yourself
the most loving and faithful little friend you could want.

bookie