PDA

View Full Version : my cat in the cold


David Mooney
February 13th 07, 10:32 PM
Hello to everyone in this group. I have 3 cats and they are not only
outdoors cats but indoors cats as well. My eldest cat (Velvet, soon to be a
5-years old) likes to be outdoors, even in winter. I live on a farm.

The other day I was up before sunrise and I saw Velvet on the porch of a
building nearby. I picked her up and could feel her body shuddering to the
cold weather. She wasn't acting as though she was cold but I could tell by
her shuddering she was really very cold.

I took her back into my residence and placed the heater so she could lay on
my lap and get some heat from the electric heater. She was soon comfortably
warm and the shuddering had stopped. This happened in the next 2 mornings as
well and each time I brought her in so she could be warmed by the heater.
She seems content with this arraingement but now I haven't seen her for 3
days although my neighbors claim they have seen her every day.

I have a cat door in one of my windows so my 3 cats can come and go as they
please. For some reason Velvet chooses to live outdoors. She is welcome
whenever she comes in and I reach down to give her a lot of loving. Still,
my tuxedo cat named Romeo will often cause her to flee so I suppose Romeo
may be the reason she doesn't come inside too much. However, I miss Velvet
and hope she is okay. She handled the cold last year okay and chose to be
outdoors but she was still opposed by Romeo, who is about 2 years old. Romeo
is a fixed male cat. My other cat Rusty comes and goes as she wants and so
does Romeo. It is going to get cold tonight and I want to bring her in and
let her be by the heater. How can I turn an outdoor cat into a mostly
indoor cat? At least for winter? Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks in advance,
David M

cybercat
February 13th 07, 10:46 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote

> How can I turn an outdoor cat into a mostly indoor cat? At least for
> winter? Can anyone offer some advice?
>

Keep the door closed. Cats will actually freeze to death even if they
have a warm place to go, especially if there is some threat in the warm
place they want to avoid. They're wonderful creatures, but all they
have to work with are those little cat brains.

(I am not being a smart ass--I have made outdoor cats indoor-only,
and there is no easy way. Just don't let them out. And deal with lots
of begging to go out, yowling, etc. After a while, they stop.)

I'm really glad you're looking out for Velvet. You might not have
been paying attention and the story might have been very different.
Good luck.

mlbriggs
February 13th 07, 10:58 PM
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:32:50 -0500, David Mooney wrote:

> Hello to everyone in this group. I have 3 cats and they are not only
> outdoors cats but indoors cats as well. My eldest cat (Velvet, soon to be a
> 5-years old) likes to be outdoors, even in winter. I live on a farm.
>
> The other day I was up before sunrise and I saw Velvet on the porch of a
> building nearby. I picked her up and could feel her body shuddering to the
> cold weather. She wasn't acting as though she was cold but I could tell by
> her shuddering she was really very cold.
>
> I took her back into my residence and placed the heater so she could lay on
> my lap and get some heat from the electric heater. She was soon comfortably
> warm and the shuddering had stopped. This happened in the next 2 mornings as
> well and each time I brought her in so she could be warmed by the heater.
> She seems content with this arraingement but now I haven't seen her for 3
> days although my neighbors claim they have seen her every day.
>
> I have a cat door in one of my windows so my 3 cats can come and go as they
> please. For some reason Velvet chooses to live outdoors. She is welcome
> whenever she comes in and I reach down to give her a lot of loving. Still,
> my tuxedo cat named Romeo will often cause her to flee so I suppose Romeo
> may be the reason she doesn't come inside too much. However, I miss Velvet
> and hope she is okay. She handled the cold last year okay and chose to be
> outdoors but she was still opposed by Romeo, who is about 2 years old. Romeo
> is a fixed male cat. My other cat Rusty comes and goes as she wants and so
> does Romeo. It is going to get cold tonight and I want to bring her in and
> let her be by the heater. How can I turn an outdoor cat into a mostly
> indoor cat? At least for winter? Can anyone offer some advice?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David M


Can you keep her in a separate room? Cats can freeze to death if they
don't have good shelter. MLB

cindys
February 13th 07, 11:03 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote in message
...
> However, I miss Velvet and hope she is okay. She handled the cold last
> year okay and chose to be outdoors but she was still opposed by Romeo, who
> is about 2 years old. Romeo is a fixed male cat. My other cat Rusty comes
> and goes as she wants and so does Romeo. It is going to get cold tonight
> and I want to bring her in and let her be by the heater. How can I turn
> an outdoor cat into a mostly indoor cat? At least for winter? Can anyone
> offer some advice?
-------
Hi, David! You've gotta find Velvet and bring her in. (I seem to get very
involved with worrying about other people's cats.) Please let us know when
she is safe and sound.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

sheelagh
February 13th 07, 11:11 PM
Try and show her some safe space, where she doesn't feel threatened by
Romeo.
There is no *easy fix* answer, but if you can possibly find the time
to make her feel special, more than welcome & loved, she will come
looking for it & you too.
I really do wish you the best of luck & hope that yo get on well with
this one.
Keep us posted with how things are going?
thanks!
S;o)

February 13th 07, 11:11 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote:

>How can I turn an outdoor cat into a mostly
>indoor cat? At least for winter? Can anyone offer some advice?

Yeah, shut the damm door, that is if you really care.

Rhonda
February 13th 07, 11:46 PM
David,

Sometimes you have to look at them as small kids instead of creatures
that can make their own choices. She is choosing for whatever reason to
put herself in danger. One day, you may find her in the morning and not
be able to revive her.

Whatever the reason, she needs to stay inside at night. Just like for a
kid -- you need to make that decision for her. Lock the cat door, lock
the door to that room, whatever works out best.

Good luck,

Rhonda

David Mooney wrote:
> I have a cat door in one of my windows so my 3 cats can come and go as they
> please. For some reason Velvet chooses to live outdoors.

David Mooney
February 14th 07, 12:56 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
...
> David,
>
> Sometimes you have to look at them as small kids instead of creatures that
> can make their own choices. She is choosing for whatever reason to put
> herself in danger. One day, you may find her in the morning and not be
> able to revive her.
>
> Whatever the reason, she needs to stay inside at night. Just like for a
> kid -- you need to make that decision for her. Lock the cat door, lock the
> door to that room, whatever works out best.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Rhonda
>
> David Mooney wrote:
>> I have a cat door in one of my windows so my 3 cats can come and go as
>> they please. For some reason Velvet chooses to live outdoors.


Thanks Rhonda for yout post and thanks to all that answered my post. I was
unable to find her this morning either. This makes 4 days that I haven't
seen her yet. I worry about here. Thanks to Cindy, cybercat, mbriggs,
sheelagh und haman.


Thanks,
David M

kraut
February 14th 07, 01:29 PM
>>How can I turn an outdoor cat into a mostly
>>indoor cat? At least for winter? Can anyone offer some advice?
>
>Yeah, shut the door, that is if you really care.


I agree!! When someone complains they can not keep a cat in I ofren
wonder what is wrong with the person when they can not control a 10
pound cat!!! Jeez people get real will you?!?!?! At least keep it in
for the winter!!!

cindys
February 14th 07, 01:56 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote in message
. ..
>
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
> ...
>> David,
>>
>> Sometimes you have to look at them as small kids instead of creatures
>> that can make their own choices. She is choosing for whatever reason to
>> put herself in danger. One day, you may find her in the morning and not
>> be able to revive her.
>>
>> Whatever the reason, she needs to stay inside at night. Just like for a
>> kid -- you need to make that decision for her. Lock the cat door, lock
>> the door to that room, whatever works out best.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Rhonda
>>
>> David Mooney wrote:
>>> I have a cat door in one of my windows so my 3 cats can come and go as
>>> they please. For some reason Velvet chooses to live outdoors.
>
>
> Thanks Rhonda for yout post and thanks to all that answered my post. I was
> unable to find her this morning either. This makes 4 days that I haven't
> seen her yet. I worry about here. Thanks to Cindy, cybercat, mbriggs,
> sheelagh und haman.
-----------
Keep on looking and let us know when you find her. Speak with your neighbors
and ask them to grab her if they see her again. Please keep us updated.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

David Mooney
February 14th 07, 02:53 PM
Hi Cindy,

I have found my cat a few minutes ago and she is safely indoors and is
eating right now. She will stay inside as long as Romeo isn't around. But
when Romeo comes in, he always wants to dominate and harass Velvet. I love
Romeo but he is one reason Velvet will not stay inside. They cannot stay for
long in the same room togehter but when I am holding Velvet Romeo doesn't
challenge her.

Rusty, on the other hand, stands up to Romeo so Romeo pretty much leaves her
alone. But when he does challenge her, Rusty puts up a defense. Good for
her!! However, Rusty doesn't like Velvet either and I don't understand why.
Velvet is a very good cat. She never acts aggressively around the other two.
She is the oldest cat of the three.

This morning it was about 47 degrees, not as cold as I heard last night so
Velvet wasn't as cold as she was the other days. Tonight will be cold so I
will bring her in again as I usually do. I just hope Romeo doesn't spoil it.

Thanks for your concern,
David M

Lynne
February 14th 07, 03:17 PM
on Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:53:46 GMT, "David Mooney" >
wrote:

> Tonight will be cold so I
> will bring her in again as I usually do. I just hope Romeo doesn't
> spoil it.

Just keep her in. It's that simple.

--
Lynne

cindys
February 14th 07, 03:20 PM
"David Mooney" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi Cindy,
>
> I have found my cat a few minutes ago and she is safely indoors and is
> eating right now.

Thank goodness!

>She will stay inside as long as Romeo isn't around. But when Romeo comes
>in, he always wants to dominate and harass Velvet. I love Romeo but he is
>one reason Velvet will not stay inside. They cannot stay for long in the
>same room togehter but when I am holding Velvet Romeo doesn't challenge
>her.

David, I'm sure you have more than one room.
>
> Rusty, on the other hand, stands up to Romeo so Romeo pretty much leaves
> her alone. But when he does challenge her, Rusty puts up a defense. Good
> for her!! However, Rusty doesn't like Velvet either and I don't understand
> why. Velvet is a very good cat.

It's not about dislike. It's about pecking order. Every cat wants to be the
top cat. Velvet is apparently in the lowest position of the cat pecking
order in your house. Anyway, cats have minds of their own. We have an
adorable, sweet little gray-furred cat named Daisy. She minds her own
business and doesn't seem to bother anyone. When we adopted Daisy, the
foster mom was especially glad (for Daisy's sake) because the other cats in
the foster home "didn't like her" and kept harassing her. When she came to
me, Alex (an otherwise benign, easy-going cat who was at the bottom of the
pecking order in my house) immediately started cornering her and tormenting
her. Daisy started having accidents in the kitchen. I thought it would be
better for her if she could be an "only cat", so she went to live at my
parents' house for five years (they didn't have any other cats). Everything
was fine. Daisy didn't have any more "accidents." During the course of the
five years, my father passed away. Last year, my mother's health
deteriorated, and she felt she couldn't take care of Daisy anymore, so I
brought Daisy back to my house in the hopes that things would be better this
time.

My mix of animals has changed in the past five years. Molly (my Abyssinian
cat) and Alvin (our dog) passed away, and we have added one additional
permanent cat plus another foster to the mix who weren't here when Daisy was
here the last time. Alex no longer torments her and she hasn't had any
accidents, but there are still issues between her and the other animals. The
foster cat is rather aggressive, and we have had a few really big cat fights
between him and several of the other cats. The bottom line is this: I have
set up my office (one of the bedrooms in my house) as Daisy's private room.
During the day, she has the run of the house, but at night, she is confined
to the office for her own safety, so she won't be attacked in the middle of
the night. She has adapted very well to this arrangement and actually
voluntarily spends the majority of her day sitting next to me while I work
in my office/her bedroom.

The moral of the story is this: You have to keep Velvet inside for her own
protection. You got lucky this time and got her back. Next time, you might
not be so lucky. Fix up a room for her that she can stay in at night, where
she's warm and safe and away from Rusty and Romeo.

>She never acts aggressively around the other two. She is the oldest cat of
>the three.
>
> This morning it was about 47 degrees, not as cold as I heard last night so
> Velvet wasn't as cold as she was the other days. Tonight will be cold so I
> will bring her in again as I usually do. I just hope Romeo doesn't spoil
> it.

I don't understand why you are putting her outside again after what
happened.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

sheelagh
February 14th 07, 06:01 PM
On 14 Feb, 15:17, Lynne > wrote:
> on Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:53:46 GMT, "David Mooney" >
> wrote:
>
> > Tonight will be cold so I
> > will bring her in again as I usually do. I just hope Romeo doesn't
> > spoil it.
>
> Just keep her in. It's that simple.
>
> --
> Lynne

I would too, but there might be a will she use a litter concern here?
Just try and keep her in a different part of your house perhaps?
They will work out their diufference's if they are forced to.
No one likes to force another to accept, as you know how you would
feel yourself.
However, no one likes a bully either....try it? If it doesn't work
out, then we will have to think about a plan B.
I am Soooooo Glad you found her though, well done!
S;o)

bookie
February 15th 07, 12:21 AM
On 14 Feb, 14:53, "David Mooney" > wrote:
> Hi Cindy,
>
> I have found my cat a few minutes ago and she is safely indoors and is
> eating right now. She will stay inside as long as Romeo isn't around. But
> when Romeo comes in, he always wants to dominate and harass Velvet. I love
> Romeo but he is one reason Velvet will not stay inside. They cannot stay for
> long in the same room togehter but when I am holding Velvet Romeo doesn't
> challenge her.
>
> Rusty, on the other hand, stands up to Romeo so Romeo pretty much leaves her
> alone. But when he does challenge her, Rusty puts up a defense. Good for
> her!! However, Rusty doesn't like Velvet either and I don't understand why.
> Velvet is a very good cat. She never acts aggressively around the other two.
> She is the oldest cat of the three.
>
> This morning it was about 47 degrees, not as cold as I heard last night so
> Velvet wasn't as cold as she was the other days. Tonight will be cold so I
> will bring her in again as I usually do. I just hope Romeo doesn't spoil it.
>
> Thanks for your concern,
> David M

why are you letign her out at the moment at all? get a litter tray for
the next few days and keep her in until the qweather becomes less
severe. i am usually all for letting cats and very anti-keepign cats
indoors but this one time I think it woudl be best for her sake.

there is obviously tension between romeo and velvet so perhap syou
coudl confine him to a couepl of rooms in the house, say just
downstairs perhaps, and do so with her elsewhere inthe house, keep her
upstairs perhaps. separate their food and feeding areas, do not feed
them together, keep them as far apart as you can, make som areas no-go
areas for romeo so that velvet can get some peace, get a litter tray
upstairs for her and one downstairs for him and the other cat so they
can all lead separate lives. Most of all you want to make a part of
your house home for velvet as well and for her to view an area of it
to be safe and inviting and where she will feel protected and free
from the bullying of romeo, only then will she not choose to go
outside and freeze to death in preference to coming indoors. This is
all so obvious i do not know why you have not done it all before.

cats can be horrible bullies when they put their little feline minds
to it, and it usually psychological bullying and revolves around
possesion of territories and controlling access to resources such as
food, water and toilet facilities. Do you have litter trays indoors? i
hope then that you have more than one, preferably at least 3 since you
have 3 cats. If romeo decided to bully velvet then one tactic he might
use woudl be to guard the litter tray so she could not use it and that
would force her to either go outside (and not come back) or withhold
urine resulting in terrible bladder problems such as cystitis etc (and
pricey vet treatment). If you have more than one tray and ptu one
upstairs specifically for velvets use then romeo could not manage to
stop her using both at the same time (cats are amazing creatures but
they have not yet mastered omnipresence as far as i know), so at least
velvet can then go to the loo in peace. I mean how would you like it
if the school bully came round and stopped you going to the loo cos
you were scared he would beat you up if you dared go near the
bathroom? You get it? similar with food and water too.

now then get that damn cat indoors, lock the cat flap, windows, doors,
everything, keep her and romeo apart and give them separate resources
as much as you can, and let's have an end to this silliness. I have an
application form to fill in for a job in cambridge I know I will not
even get an interview for so I have things to do now.

bookie

bookie
February 15th 07, 12:29 AM
On 14 Feb, 15:20, "cindys" > wrote:
> "David Mooney" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>
> > Hi Cindy,
>
> > I have found my cat a few minutes ago and she is safely indoors and is
> > eating right now.
>
> Thank goodness!
>
> >She will stay inside as long as Romeo isn't around. But when Romeo comes
> >in, he always wants to dominate and harass Velvet. I love Romeo but he is
> >one reason Velvet will not stay inside. They cannot stay for long in the
> >same room togehter but when I am holding Velvet Romeo doesn't challenge
> >her.
>
> David, I'm sure you have more than one room.
>
>
>
> > Rusty, on the other hand, stands up to Romeo so Romeo pretty much leaves
> > her alone. But when he does challenge her, Rusty puts up a defense. Good
> > for her!! However, Rusty doesn't like Velvet either and I don't understand
> > why. Velvet is a very good cat.
>
> It's not about dislike. It's about pecking order. Every cat wants to be the
> top cat. Velvet is apparently in the lowest position of the cat pecking
> order in your house. Anyway, cats have minds of their own. We have an
> adorable, sweet little gray-furred cat named Daisy. She minds her own
> business and doesn't seem to bother anyone. When we adopted Daisy, the
> foster mom was especially glad (for Daisy's sake) because the other cats in
> the foster home "didn't like her" and kept harassing her. When she came to
> me, Alex (an otherwise benign, easy-going cat who was at the bottom of the
> pecking order in my house) immediately started cornering her and tormenting
> her. Daisy started having accidents in the kitchen. I thought it would be
> better for her if she could be an "only cat", so she went to live at my
> parents' house for five years (they didn't have any other cats). Everything
> was fine. Daisy didn't have any more "accidents." During the course of the
> five years, my father passed away. Last year, my mother's health
> deteriorated, and she felt she couldn't take care of Daisy anymore, so I
> brought Daisy back to my house in the hopes that things would be better this
> time.
>
> My mix of animals has changed in the past five years. Molly (my Abyssinian
> cat) and Alvin (our dog) passed away, and we have added one additional
> permanent cat plus another foster to the mix who weren't here when Daisy was
> here the last time. Alex no longer torments her and she hasn't had any
> accidents, but there are still issues between her and the other animals. The
> foster cat is rather aggressive, and we have had a few really big cat fights
> between him and several of the other cats. The bottom line is this: I have
> set up my office (one of the bedrooms in my house) as Daisy's private room.
> During the day, she has the run of the house, but at night, she is confined
> to the office for her own safety, so she won't be attacked in the middle of
> the night. She has adapted very well to this arrangement and actually
> voluntarily spends the majority of her day sitting next to me while I work
> in my office/her bedroom.
>
> The moral of the story is this: You have to keep Velvet inside for her own
> protection. You got lucky this time and got her back. Next time, you might
> not be so lucky. Fix up a room for her that she can stay in at night, where
> she's warm and safe and away from Rusty and Romeo.
>
> >She never acts aggressively around the other two. She is the oldest cat of
> >the three.
>
> > This morning it was about 47 degrees, not as cold as I heard last night so
> > Velvet wasn't as cold as she was the other days. Tonight will be cold so I
> > will bring her in again as I usually do. I just hope Romeo doesn't spoil
> > it.
>
> I don't understand why you are putting her outside again after what
> happened.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

neither do I, just keep her in,

anyway cindy has just said pretty much exactly what i have put above
(sorry i just wrote something then read the posts below, DOH!) romeo
and rusty are obviously bullying her and establishing a pecking order
within their little community and territory an unfortunately right now
velvet is at the bottom of the pile. If you want her to stay you have
to do something; you have to keep her in whilst it is cold and also
whilst she is indoors you have to protect her from the other two by
creating a separate area for her to live in where she can feel safe
and secure and protected from their bullying.

if you love velvet you will sort this out and do something in order to
make her feel safer in what should be her own home.

please post back and tell us youhave done this, bookie