PDA

View Full Version : Bullwinkle's tail

cindys
February 15th 07, 01:03 AM
Hi, everyone: The last few days, I have noticed something very strange:
Bullwinkle's tail has gotten quite skinny. He is a medium-to-long-haired
tuxedo cat, and his tail has always been rather thick, especially at the
base. Overall, it doesn't seem as if his fur has gotten thinner on the rest
of his body, but he must have lost fur on his tail. I can't think of any
other reason his tail would seem thin, unless the tail itself has withered,
but I couldn't imagine that. He has lost some weight but that may be due to
the fact that he has been on Purine OM (overweight management) cat food. We
needed to start buying that because Alex had diabetes, and the vet said it
was okay for all the cats to eat it especially since Alex and Bullwinkle
were both a little on the chubby side anyway. Alex has lost weight as well.
It's hard to know if the cats have lost weight because they're getting old
or because of the cat food. Both Alex and Bullwinkle are around 15 years
old. Bullwinkle is due for a checkup anyway, so I will be bringing him in to
see the vet next week. I would bring him tomorrow, but we are currently in
the midst of a snowstorm. Nothing else seems to be amiss with him, and he's
behaving normally and his appetite is fine. I'm really very worried about
this tail thing. Has anyone ever heard of a cat's tail suddenly getting
skinny before?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

bookie
February 15th 07, 01:06 AM
On 15 Feb, 00:03, "cindys" > wrote:
> Hi, everyone: The last few days, I have noticed something very strange:
> Bullwinkle's tail has gotten quite skinny. He is a medium-to-long-haired
> tuxedo cat, and his tail has always been rather thick, especially at the
> base. Overall, it doesn't seem as if his fur has gotten thinner on the rest
> of his body, but he must have lost fur on his tail. I can't think of any
> other reason his tail would seem thin, unless the tail itself has withered,
> but I couldn't imagine that. He has lost some weight but that may be due to
> the fact that he has been on Purine OM (overweight management) cat food. We
> needed to start buying that because Alex had diabetes, and the vet said it
> was okay for all the cats to eat it especially since Alex and Bullwinkle
> were both a little on the chubby side anyway. Alex has lost weight as well.
> It's hard to know if the cats have lost weight because they're getting old
> or because of the cat food. Both Alex and Bullwinkle are around 15 years
> old. Bullwinkle is due for a checkup anyway, so I will be bringing him in to
> see the vet next week. I would bring him tomorrow, but we are currently in
> the midst of a snowstorm. Nothing else seems to be amiss with him, and he's
> behaving normally and his appetite is fine. I'm really very worried about
> this tail thing. Has anyone ever heard of a cat's tail suddenly getting
> skinny before?
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

is he possibly overgrooming it and causing the fur to fall out so
making the tail look thinner?

cindys
February 15th 07, 01:28 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

> is he possibly overgrooming it and causing the fur to fall out so
> making the tail look thinner?
--------------
This morning, there was a big fight between Bullwinkle and Tux (our foster
cat who can be aggressive). I had to break up the fight and there were some
small clumps of Bullwinkle's fur that had come out in the process. They
could have come from his tail. After that, I think I saw Bullwinkle cleaning
his tail.

Before Tux came, we never had cats that would fight like that. (Yes, Tux is
neutered). These fights aren't happening every day, but they have happened
several times in the several months we've had Tux. A few months back, Tux
had a fight with Alex. By the time I was able to break it up, it looked like
a murder scene. Alex's ear had a deep scratch with blood all over the place
and clumps of Alex's fur. I'm really thinking Tux should go back to the
rescue group. He is a foster, not a permanent cat, although we had been
thinking of adopting him permanently. Now, I don't think that would be such
a good idea. He's only two years old and he's strong and active, and he's
intimidating my elderly cats.

At any rate, could this be the explanation for why Bullwinkle's tail
suddenly seems so skinny?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

bookie
February 15th 07, 01:34 AM
On 15 Feb, 00:28, "cindys" > wrote:

> At any rate, could this be the explanation for why Bullwinkle's tail
> suddenly seems so skinny?
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

dunno, but if this new cat is creating loads of tension in the house
then it may be causing bullwinkle and the other cat loadsof stress.
Cats sometimes deal with stress with bizarre coping mechanisms and
displacement activities such as over grooming one particular part fo
their body until the fur falls out (my mum's old cat flossie use to
over groom her tummy when she got stressed, so she had a bald patch on
her tum tum at times).

of course it could be something medical, I don't know, check with your
vet.

I woudl try to find another home for this foster cat if you can,
soudnds like the situation is not a happy one for you own pussies and
they need their home back

let us know what happens, bookie

this application form is not going to get done is it? and now jessie
wants to play with the purple fuzzy thing on the end of the fishing
rod

cindys
February 15th 07, 01:59 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 15 Feb, 00:28, "cindys" > wrote:
>

>> At any rate, could this be the explanation for why Bullwinkle's tail
>> suddenly seems so skinny?
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> dunno, but if this new cat is creating loads of tension in the house
> then it may be causing bullwinkle and the other cat loadsof stress.

Tux has been with us for several months. It didn't seem like he was
generally stressing out the other cats, but then again, I'm not a cat, and I
can't read their minds.

> Cats sometimes deal with stress with bizarre coping mechanisms and
> displacement activities such as over grooming one particular part fo
> their body until the fur falls out (my mum's old cat flossie use to
> over groom her tummy when she got stressed, so she had a bald patch on
> her tum tum at times).
>
> of course it could be something medical, I don't know, check with your
> vet.

Yes. I will be bringing him in for a checkup soon. I guess I really am very
worried.

> I woudl try to find another home for this foster cat if you can,

Well, all I have to do is return him to the rescue group. I wouldn't be
allowed to place him in another home myself, even if one were available. All
adoptions need to be approved by the group, and there is an adoption fee to
offset the cost of the vaccinations and spay/neuter. I would be willing to
foster another cat in his place (hopefully a cat with a milder disposition).

> soudnds like the situation is not a happy one for you own pussies and
> they need their home back

Yes. It's too bad because we really had been hoping to keep Tux :-( But the
needs of my permanent cats need to take priority, and it's not as if Tux
will be put out on the street. He will just be living in a different foster
home with someone from the rescue group.

> let us know what happens, bookie

Thanks, Bookie.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

> this application form is not going to get done is it? and now jessie
> wants to play with the purple fuzzy thing on the end of the fishing
> rod

mlbriggs
February 15th 07, 02:33 AM
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:28:12 -0500, cindys wrote:

> "bookie" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> snip
>>
>> is he possibly overgrooming it and causing the fur to fall out so
>> making the tail look thinner?
> --------------
> This morning, there was a big fight between Bullwinkle and Tux (our foster
> cat who can be aggressive). I had to break up the fight and there were some
> small clumps of Bullwinkle's fur that had come out in the process. They
> could have come from his tail. After that, I think I saw Bullwinkle cleaning
> his tail.
>
> Before Tux came, we never had cats that would fight like that. (Yes, Tux is
> neutered). These fights aren't happening every day, but they have happened
> several times in the several months we've had Tux. A few months back, Tux
> had a fight with Alex. By the time I was able to break it up, it looked like
> a murder scene. Alex's ear had a deep scratch with blood all over the place
> and clumps of Alex's fur. I'm really thinking Tux should go back to the
> rescue group. He is a foster, not a permanent cat, although we had been
> thinking of adopting him permanently. Now, I don't think that would be such
> a good idea. He's only two years old and he's strong and active, and he's
> intimidating my elderly cats.
>
> At any rate, could this be the explanation for why Bullwinkle's tail
> suddenly seems so skinny?
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

It sounds like Tux would be happier as an only cat somewhere. MLB

cindys
February 15th 07, 02:52 AM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
snip>

> It sounds like Tux would be happier as an only cat somewhere. MLB
-----------
Yes. Now I understand why the woman from the rescue group told me he
wouldn't do well around *timid* cats because he was *so playful.* Right. I
didn't really think my cats were timid (except for Daisy who prefers to
spend most of her time in her room/my office and rarely interacts with the
other cats). I guess now I understand what the woman meant. He might be
okay in a house with another cat or cats who are as aggressive as he is. But
that's not my situation. He doesn't mess with Amanda though. After Molly
died, Amanda rose to the position of alpha cat in the pecking order. She
would whup Tux's tail if he ever tried anything with her (and he knows it
;-)
Best regards,
---Cindy S.