PDA

View Full Version : Grooming my Ragamuffin Cat

Jillian
February 15th 07, 01:46 AM
Hello. I have a purebred Ragamuffin cat and am having difficulty keeping him
nicely groomed and free from "knots" and mats. I have taken him to a
"professional" groomer and she basically ruined his beautiful mane. Now
along with the knots and mats he has a mane that is totally chopped off and
all uneven. I am so upset, but am hoping it will grow back. I have a few
questions. Any suggestions on how to get his mane evened out? Or should I
just let it grow back and hope it looks nice again? With regard to the knots,
are there any tools that anyone has found to be especially effective? (He
detests grooming, which of course doesn't help.) I have tried several items--
he will tolerate the Zoom
Groom but it doesn't really help his knots once he has them. I have tried
the Furminator. He doesn't tolerate it well at all. Also, his fur is full
of static electricity. Does anyone know of any product that may alleviate
that problem?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. He is really a sweet boy and I want to
do everything I can to help him.

cybercat
February 15th 07, 06:12 AM
"Jillian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hello. I have a purebred Ragamuffin cat

Ugh. Do you mean "Ragdoll" or is there yet another freakish breeding
experiment going on?

Meanswhile ... if you cannot keep your cat brushed then shave him and let it
grow back in, trying to do a better job of brushing daily.

Frustrated? Then go to the shelter for your next cat and avoid the hassle of
the Overbred Inbred coat.

Did I say "UGH?"

silvercelt
February 15th 07, 03:35 PM
As it is growing back brush it everyday and continue to do so once it
has grown back, it will help and you will see a big change.

Lynne
February 15th 07, 03:46 PM
on Thu, 15 Feb 2007 01:46:17 GMT, "Jillian" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Also, his fur is full
> of static electricity. Does anyone know of any product that may
> alleviate that problem?

We're having this problem right now, too, and it's gotten so bad it's
effecting my cats' behavior. Beyond upping the moisture content in the
air, does anyone have any suggestions? It's kind of cool to see them spark
up when the lights are out, but they aren't happy with this situation at
all.

--
Lynne

Jillian via CatKB.com
February 15th 07, 10:46 PM
If you knew the circumstances that prompted me to investigate a purebred cat
in the first place, you might actually feel a little bad about your rude
response. There is often more to a story than meets the eye. All of my cats-
-except one--have been strays or from the Humane Society. And if you're
truly interested in cats and would like to strive to be somewhat
knowledgeable, check out the Cat Fanciers' Association website at
www.cfainc.org. You will find the lovely RagaMuffin described in detail
there.

cybercat wrote:
>> Hello. I have a purebred Ragamuffin cat
>
>Ugh. Do you mean "Ragdoll" or is there yet another freakish breeding
>experiment going on?
>
>Meanswhile ... if you cannot keep your cat brushed then shave him and let it
>grow back in, trying to do a better job of brushing daily.
>
>Frustrated? Then go to the shelter for your next cat and avoid the hassle of
>the Overbred Inbred coat.
>
>Did I say "UGH?"

Jillian via CatKB.com
February 15th 07, 10:48 PM
You're right! They don't like it at all. You've given me the idea to look
into a good whole house humidifier. Thanks!

Lynne wrote:
>> Also, his fur is full
>> of static electricity. Does anyone know of any product that may
>> alleviate that problem?
>
>We're having this problem right now, too, and it's gotten so bad it's
>effecting my cats' behavior. Beyond upping the moisture content in the
>air, does anyone have any suggestions? It's kind of cool to see them spark
>up when the lights are out, but they aren't happy with this situation at
>all.

Jillian via CatKB.com
February 15th 07, 10:50 PM
Thanks. I will brush him every day and hope for the best!
silvercelt wrote:
>As it is growing back brush it everyday and continue to do so once it
>has grown back, it will help and you will see a big change.

Lynne
February 15th 07, 11:31 PM
on Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:46:45 GMT, "Jillian via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> If you knew the circumstances that prompted me to investigate a
> purebred cat in the first place, you might actually feel a little bad
> about your rude response. There is often more to a story than meets
> the eye. All of my cats- -except one--have been strays or from the
> Humane Society. And if you're truly interested in cats and would like
> to strive to be somewhat knowledgeable, check out the Cat Fanciers'
> Association website at www.cfainc.org. You will find the lovely
> RagaMuffin described in detail there.

That's a beautiful cat, and LARGE!

I'm the first to admit I'm not knowlegeable about very many breeds (my
current 2 cats came from feral colonies), but I'm not against breeding.
Obviously we have a horrific over population problem, but I don't believe
the answer is to stop breeding pure bred cats. I think that would be quite
tragic. The answer is to spay and neuter ALL kittens, with the exception
of the very select few who uphold the breed standards, so breeds can be
protected. Since not all of the offspring of well bred cats are
show/breeding potential, the ones who are not should go to pet homes and be
speutered.

Assuming anyone who purchases a pure bred cat (or dog) is adding to the
problem isn't really fair IMO. Unfortunately, though, it's true more often
than it's not. This is due to the sheer volume of backyard breeders and
millers cranking out kittens (and puppies)... They are the real problem
because they are NOT breeding to uphold the breed standards but are in it
to make a buck. Those breeders should NOT be patronized. Ever. I think
education is the only real solution.

I'm currently waiting on my pure bred Golden Retriever puppy to be old
enough to take home. I tried the rescue route with an adult dog this past
Fall and it went horribly wrong. I can't bring myself take that risk
again. My current dog is a mutt from the shelter who I adore, but my next
dog is coming from a very reputable breeder and I don't feel at all guilty
about that!

--
Lynne

Lynne
February 15th 07, 11:32 PM
on Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:48:55 GMT, "Jillian via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> You're right! They don't like it at all. You've given me the idea to
> look into a good whole house humidifier. Thanks!

I used to have one but had a heck of a time keeping it clean. My son has
mold allergies so we've been putting up with the dry air for a few years.
Let me know if you find one that is easy to clean!

--
Lynne

Jillian via CatKB.com
February 16th 07, 12:17 AM
Very well said. I totally agree. And you're so right--education is the only
solution. Thanks for taking the time to post that. Oh, and best wishes with
the little Golden!

Lynne wrote:
>on Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:46:45 GMT, "Jillian via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>> If you knew the circumstances that prompted me to investigate a
>> purebred cat in the first place, you might actually feel a little bad
>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>> Association website at www.cfainc.org. You will find the lovely
>> RagaMuffin described in detail there.
>
>That's a beautiful cat, and LARGE!
>
>I'm the first to admit I'm not knowlegeable about very many breeds (my
>current 2 cats came from feral colonies), but I'm not against breeding.
>Obviously we have a horrific over population problem, but I don't believe
>the answer is to stop breeding pure bred cats. I think that would be quite
>tragic. The answer is to spay and neuter ALL kittens, with the exception
>of the very select few who uphold the breed standards, so breeds can be
>protected. Since not all of the offspring of well bred cats are
>show/breeding potential, the ones who are not should go to pet homes and be
>speutered.
>
>Assuming anyone who purchases a pure bred cat (or dog) is adding to the
>problem isn't really fair IMO. Unfortunately, though, it's true more often
>than it's not. This is due to the sheer volume of backyard breeders and
>millers cranking out kittens (and puppies)... They are the real problem
>because they are NOT breeding to uphold the breed standards but are in it
>to make a buck. Those breeders should NOT be patronized. Ever. I think
>education is the only real solution.
>
>I'm currently waiting on my pure bred Golden Retriever puppy to be old
>enough to take home. I tried the rescue route with an adult dog this past
>Fall and it went horribly wrong. I can't bring myself take that risk
>again. My current dog is a mutt from the shelter who I adore, but my next
>dog is coming from a very reputable breeder and I don't feel at all guilty
>about that!

Jillian via CatKB.com
February 16th 07, 12:18 AM
I will definitely let you know!

Lynne wrote:
>on Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:48:55 GMT, "Jillian via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>> You're right! They don't like it at all. You've given me the idea to
>> look into a good whole house humidifier. Thanks!
>
>I used to have one but had a heck of a time keeping it clean. My son has
>mold allergies so we've been putting up with the dry air for a few years.
>Let me know if you find one that is easy to clean!

---MIKE---
February 16th 07, 12:40 AM
I have a large humidifier that uses 1 1/2 gallons of water a day. I add
a bacteriostat and a conditioner to the water and have no problems.

---MIKE---