PDA

View Full Version : Soft Tissue Sarcoma - an update

Steven C
February 15th 07, 09:56 PM
Hi All,
Chooch had his MRI scan on Tuesday and I visited the hospital yesterday to
get the results. Not good news I'm afraid. The tumour is pretty massive
internally. The lump on his shoulder is really the "tip of the iceberg".
Internally, the tumour is too close to his spine and throat and the veins
and arteries that carry the blood to and from his brain.

Therefore an operation is not feasible. We have him home now and will be
making the most of his company before we take him for his last trip to the
vet next Thursday.

Needless to say we are pretty devasted. I know it's part and
parcel of being a pet owner, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Steven.

cybercat
February 15th 07, 10:01 PM
"Steven C" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
> Chooch had his MRI scan on Tuesday and I visited the hospital yesterday to
> get the results. Not good news I'm afraid. The tumour is pretty massive
> internally. The lump on his shoulder is really the "tip of the iceberg".
> Internally, the tumour is too close to his spine and throat and the veins
> and arteries that carry the blood to and from his brain.
>
> Therefore an operation is not feasible. We have him home now and will be
> making the most of his company before we take him for his last trip to the
> vet next Thursday.
>
> Needless to say we are pretty devasted. I know it's part and
> parcel of being a pet owner, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Steven, I am so sorry.

Big Al
February 15th 07, 11:16 PM
On Feb 15, 2:56 pm, Steven C > wrote:
> Hi All,
> Chooch had his MRI scan on Tuesday and I visited the hospital yesterday to
> get the results. Not good news I'm afraid. The tumour is pretty massive
> internally. The lump on his shoulder is really the "tip of the iceberg".
> Internally, the tumour is too close to his spine and throat and the veins
> and arteries that carry the blood to and from his brain.
>
> Therefore an operation is not feasible. We have him home now and will be
> making the most of his company before we take him for his last trip to the
> vet next Thursday.
>
> Needless to say we are pretty devasted. I know it's part and
> parcel of being a pet owner, but it doesn't make it any easier.
>
> Steven.

Steven, I am just so sorry for you. Of course you are devastated.
My cat just died on Monday, and I don't think I really knew what
"devasted" means. Please enjoy every single moment you have left with
Chooch, take lots of photos, stroke him a lot and tell him constantly
how much you love him. Also, please know that there are LOTS of
people out there who understand this kind of love and understand how
much a situation like this hurts. I'll be thinking of you ...

blkcatgal
February 16th 07, 04:28 AM
I am sorry to hear about Chooch. My thoughts are with you and him.

Sue

"Steven C" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
> Chooch had his MRI scan on Tuesday and I visited the hospital yesterday to
> get the results. Not good news I'm afraid. The tumour is pretty massive
> internally. The lump on his shoulder is really the "tip of the iceberg".
> Internally, the tumour is too close to his spine and throat and the veins
> and arteries that carry the blood to and from his brain.
>
> Therefore an operation is not feasible. We have him home now and will be
> making the most of his company before we take him for his last trip to the
> vet next Thursday.
>
> Needless to say we are pretty devasted. I know it's part and
> parcel of being a pet owner, but it doesn't make it any easier.
>
> Steven.

sheelagh
February 16th 07, 11:15 AM
My heart bleeds for you. It not harsh at all. I had to make the same
decision a few months go to do the same thing. I agree with everyone
here. Share love cuddles ,Fuss, head rub's & more.

You are a responsible cat slave who is performing the ultimate gift of
sacrifice & compassion for your cat & I admire you for it.
Take the photos you meant to take, love him like there is no tomorrow,
but most of all be at peace with yourself.
What you are doing takes courage, & insist that you want to hold your
cat as we would all like to on their final journey over the Rainbow
Bridge, so that both of you are aware of that bond as the Rainbow
Bridge approaches.
Your baby will thank you for the release from the pain & always carry
a part of your heart forever, as you will too.
Thinking of you in the days ahead....
S.

cindys
February 16th 07, 01:17 PM
On Feb 15, 4:56 pm, Steven C > wrote:
> Hi All,
> Chooch had his MRI scan on Tuesday and I visited the hospital yesterday to
> get the results. Not good news I'm afraid. The tumour is pretty massive
> internally. The lump on his shoulder is really the "tip of the iceberg".
> Internally, the tumour is too close to his spine and throat and the veins
> and arteries that carry the blood to and from his brain.
>
> Therefore an operation is not feasible. We have him home now and will be
> making the most of his company before we take him for his last trip to the
> vet next Thursday.
>
> Needless to say we are pretty devasted. I know it's part and
> parcel of being a pet owner, but it doesn't make it any easier.
------------
Hi, Steve. I just want you to know that you have my condolences. The
worst feeling in the world is hugging and cuddling your kitty when you
know his time is running out, trying to imprint in your mind's eye
just how his fur feels, exactly what the tip of his nose looks like,
what every inch of his body looks and feels like, what he smells like
so that you can remember it forever. We've all been there.

When I read your original post, I wondered "Why next Thursday? If the
cat is so sick, do it now, and if he's well enough to wait a week, why
not take it as it comes? Maybe wait a little longer?" Then, I read
your follow-up and I understood. And you and Bonnie and Sheelagh
unknowingly have given me a great gift -- the gift of peace of mind.
For months, I have been feeling guilty about Molly (my cat whom I had
euthanized last October). She was in bad shape, but if I had given her
the subcu fluids and continued to handfeed her, she probably had more
time left. How much time is difficult to say, (days? a week or two?).

I am constantly hearing about people who give their cats subcu fluids
for weeks, maybe months, and I was feeling that I should have done the
same. I felt like Molly still had some spirit in her. She was still
able to walk (wobbly) and come upstairs and even jump a little. She
was still eating a little bit (albeit only homecooked food that I
handfed her). She was still using her litterbox, most of the time. She
had just settled herself down for a seemingly peaceful nap on my son's
bed when I put her in her carrier for the final trip to the vet. When
we got there, she fought the technicians tooth and claw who were
trying to put the catheter in her leg. When the vet brought her out to
me, she was very feisty. I couldn't help but feel "This cat wants to
live. How can I snuff her life out like this?" If she had been
listless, it would have been so much easier. And it really wasn't
about me. It was about her. It seemed like *she* wanted to live more.
But I knew if I brought her back home, I would be dealing with more
misery, her ongoing dehydration, her (mostly) not eating, her nausea
and drooling, wondering if she was going to break a leg trying to jump
on the couch when I wasn't looking. She was only going to get worse,
not better. Our veterinarian (who is never quick to euthanize) pointed
out to me "She's putting on a good show, but she must be feeling
really crappy."

I am so grateful to the people who have posted that they decided to
euthanize a little sooner rather than later, not wanting to wait until
the their beloved cat's breathing became labored and/or he could no
longer lift his head. I feel like such a burden has been lifted from
me. Steve, I think you are doing the right thing, not making your
kitty suffer. You and your kitty will be in my thoughts, and I will be
sending many purrs your way. Please keep posting.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

MaryL
February 16th 07, 09:34 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
> misery, her ongoing dehydration, her (mostly) not eating, her nausea
> and drooling, wondering if she was going to break a leg trying to jump
> on the couch when I wasn't looking. She was only going to get worse,
> not better. Our veterinarian (who is never quick to euthanize) pointed
> out to me "She's putting on a good show, but she must be feeling
> really crappy."
>
> I am so grateful to the people who have posted that they decided to
> euthanize a little sooner rather than later, not wanting to wait until
> the their beloved cat's breathing became labored and/or he could no
> longer lift his head. I feel like such a burden has been lifted from
> me. Steve, I think you are doing the right thing, not making your
> kitty suffer. You and your kitty will be in my thoughts, and I will be
> sending many purrs your way. Please keep posting.

Cindy,

This is an excellent message. Many years ago, I had to have my first cat
euthanized. It was one of the most painful things I have ever done. We
"fought the good fight" for as long as I thought he could have any quality
of life. He was a completely active and vigorous cat for 18 years, then
there was a progression downward for a year-and-a-half. My belief then (and
still is) that I would do everything possible as long as he could have some
quality of life and was not in pain. When the time came that it was obvious
that we had passed that point, I made the decision to have him euthanized.
It was traumatic, but I have never regretted it. I also held him in my lap
as my "final gift of love" when the injection was given because I did not
want his final moments to be a time of fear for him. Sixteen years later, I
faced the same ordeal and made the same decision. That, too, was the right
thing to do.

By contrast, I had friends who also had an elderly cat that was facing a
painful end to his life. They told me that they could never do as I had
because they believed too much in the sanctity of life. They were going to
do everything they could to prolong his life as long as possible. A few
months later, my friend called me. He said their cat had died that morning
and they were filled with regret and guilt that they had not followed my
lead. They had stayed up all night with their cat as he struggled to
breathe. They said it was terrible -- it was almost as if he were drowning
all night long. And that was so many years ago that we only had a couple of
vets locally. There was no such thing here as an on-call vet or emergency
service, so they sat there all night desperately hoping that their beloved
pet could die without any more pain. It didn't happen, so they took him to
the vet's office as soon as it opened in the morning and had him euthanized,
but he -- and they -- had suffered terribly all night long. Truth be told,
that poor cat was in pain for a long time even before that night.

So, you made the right decision, and so has Steven. Sometimes it is cruel
(not love) to insist on keeping our pets alive when there is no longer any
hope that they can be healthy and happy.

MaryL

Rene S.
February 16th 07, 09:39 PM
I wanted to give you hugs and say how sorry I am to read this. Spoil
him rotten during these precious last days.

Rene

Rhonda
February 17th 07, 06:59 AM
I'm saddened to hear this, Steven. I always hope the doctors are wrong.

I am glad you have some time left with him. It's really hard to know the
end is coming, but it's also sweet in a way. Every day is special and
you have some time to say goodbye. I didn't realize that until after it
was over, how special those last days were.

Your job now is not to mourn for him while he's still right beside you,
and to scritch him with every waking moment!

Scritches from me too,

Rhonda

Steven C wrote:
> Hi All,
> Chooch had his MRI scan on Tuesday and I visited the hospital yesterday to
> get the results. Not good news I'm afraid. The tumour is pretty massive
> internally. The lump on his shoulder is really the "tip of the iceberg".
> Internally, the tumour is too close to his spine and throat and the veins
> and arteries that carry the blood to and from his brain.
>
> Therefore an operation is not feasible. We have him home now and will be
> making the most of his company before we take him for his last trip to the
> vet next Thursday.
>
> Needless to say we are pretty devasted. I know it's part and
> parcel of being a pet owner, but it doesn't make it any easier.
>
> Steven.

Steven C
February 17th 07, 09:19 PM
Thanks to all who responded. Your kind words have touched us greatly.
For anyone interested I have posted a couple of pictures of Chooch on some of
my webspace.
http://www.scook94.vispa.com/images/DSC00041a.jpg
http://www.scook94.vispa.com/images/DSC00007a.jpg

Lynne
February 17th 07, 09:40 PM
on Sat, 17 Feb 2007 21:19:16 GMT, Steven C > wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded. Your kind words have touched us greatly.
> For anyone interested I have posted a couple of pictures of Chooch on
> some of my webspace.
> http://www.scook94.vispa.com/images/DSC00041a.jpg
> http://www.scook94.vispa.com/images/DSC00007a.jpg

Aww, what a gorgeous fellow he is. I'm sure you are making his last days
extra special.

--
Lynne

cybercat
February 17th 07, 10:45 PM
"Steven C" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all who responded. Your kind words have touched us greatly.
> For anyone interested I have posted a couple of pictures of Chooch on some
> of
> my webspace.
> http://www.scook94.vispa.com/images/DSC00041a.jpg
> http://www.scook94.vispa.com/images/DSC00007a.jpg

I love these. I can see his sweet character. Thanks for posting.

Big Al
February 18th 07, 01:23 AM
On Feb 17, 2:19 pm, Steven C > wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded. Your kind words have touched us greatly.
> For anyone interested I have posted a couple of pictures of Chooch on some of
> my webspace.http://www.scook94.vispa.com/images/DSC00041a.jpghttp://www.scook94.vispa.com/images/DSC00007a.jpg

Thank you, Steven, for the pictures. What a handsome boy! I can see
that the handsomeness is not only skin deep. It's surely a good thing
that you've been part of each other's lives. We're all thinking of
you this week.

cindys
February 19th 07, 02:09 PM
"Steven C" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all who responded. Your kind words have touched us greatly.
> For anyone interested I have posted a couple of pictures of Chooch on some
> of
> my webspace.
> http://www.scook94.vispa.com/images/DSC00041a.jpg
> http://www.scook94.vispa.com/images/DSC00007a.jpg
What an incredibly handsome fellow. Even from the pictures, anybody could
see how sweet he is. Purrs for both of you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.