PDA

View Full Version : Soft Tissue Sarcoma - an update

Steven C
February 15th 07, 09:56 PM
Hi All,
Chooch had his MRI scan on Tuesday and I visited the hospital yesterday to
get the results. Not good news I'm afraid. The tumour is pretty massive
internally. The lump on his shoulder is really the "tip of the iceberg".
Internally, the tumour is too close to his spine and throat and the veins
and arteries that carry the blood to and from his brain.

Therefore an operation is not feasible. We have him home now and will be
making the most of his company before we take him for his last trip to the
vet next Thursday.

Needless to say we are pretty devasted. I know it's part and
parcel of being a pet owner, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Steven.

Buddy's Mom
February 15th 07, 10:14 PM
Steven
I am so sorry to hear this! My kitty didn't have an MRI before she
had surgery. They just performed a lumpectomy. Is there any way that
the vet could do that to just give you more time????

Is your kitty doing that badly they they have to put her down next
week? I was really hoping that you could buy some time here!
Sharon

On Feb 15, 4:56?pm, Steven C > wrote:
> Hi All,
> Chooch had his MRI scan on Tuesday and I visited the hospital yesterday to
> get the results. Not good news I'm afraid. The tumour is pretty massive
> internally. The lump on his shoulder is really the "tip of the iceberg".
> Internally, the tumour is too close to his spine and throat and the veins
> and arteries that carry the blood to and from his brain.
>
> Therefore an operation is not feasible. We have him home now and will be
> making the most of his company before we take him for his last trip to the
> vet next Thursday.
>
> Needless to say we are pretty devasted. I know it's part and
> parcel of being a pet owner, but it doesn't make it any easier.
>
> Steven.

Steven C
February 15th 07, 10:30 PM
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:14:08 -0800, Buddy's Mom wrote:

> Steven
> I am so sorry to hear this! My kitty didn't have an MRI before she
> had surgery. They just performed a lumpectomy. Is there any way that
> the vet could do that to just give you more time????
>
> Is your kitty doing that badly they they have to put her down next
> week? I was really hoping that you could buy some time here!
> Sharon

He certainly has been getting worse over the past 2 weeks. Before, he was
just his usual self apart from a lame leg. Now, he is struggling to
settle and is not sleeping well at all. The tumour is growing fast, and
the Vet thinks he'd only have a matter of weeks.

It's hard, but I'm a believer in letting people (and pets) "pass on" with
as much dignity as possible. It's not a decision that I wanted to have to
make, but I'd rather let him go sooner rather than watch him deteriorate
and prolong the inevitable. Does that sound harsh? I hope not.

Steven.

cybercat
February 15th 07, 10:37 PM
"Steven C" > wrote
> It's hard, but I'm a believer in letting people (and pets) "pass on" with
> as much dignity as possible. It's not a decision that I wanted to have to
> make, but I'd rather let him go sooner rather than watch him deteriorate
> and prolong the inevitable. Does that sound harsh? I hope not.

Steven, you're very wise. I let my cat go too long. I really regret that.

22brix
February 15th 07, 10:54 PM
"Steven C" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:14:08 -0800, Buddy's Mom wrote:
>

> It's hard, but I'm a believer in letting people (and pets) "pass on" with
> as much dignity as possible. It's not a decision that I wanted to have to
> make, but I'd rather let him go sooner rather than watch him deteriorate
> and prolong the inevitable. Does that sound harsh? I hope not.
>
> Steven.

I am so sorry about Chooch. It's not harsh--it's the kindest gift you can
give him. He will be at peace and won't be suffering any more.

My thoughts are with you--it's a tough decision to have to make.

Bonnie

Gail
February 15th 07, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the update. Enjoy every day with him....My thoughts are with you
all.
Gail
"Steven C" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
> Chooch had his MRI scan on Tuesday and I visited the hospital yesterday to
> get the results. Not good news I'm afraid. The tumour is pretty massive
> internally. The lump on his shoulder is really the "tip of the iceberg".
> Internally, the tumour is too close to his spine and throat and the veins
> and arteries that carry the blood to and from his brain.
>
> Therefore an operation is not feasible. We have him home now and will be
> making the most of his company before we take him for his last trip to the
> vet next Thursday.
>
> Needless to say we are pretty devasted. I know it's part and
> parcel of being a pet owner, but it doesn't make it any easier.
>
> Steven.

Gail
February 15th 07, 11:22 PM
I feel the same way and euthanized my cats before they became too ill and in
pain.
Gail
"Steven C" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:14:08 -0800, Buddy's Mom wrote:
>
>> Steven
>> I am so sorry to hear this! My kitty didn't have an MRI before she
>> had surgery. They just performed a lumpectomy. Is there any way that
>> the vet could do that to just give you more time????
>>
>> Is your kitty doing that badly they they have to put her down next
>> week? I was really hoping that you could buy some time here!
>> Sharon
>
> He certainly has been getting worse over the past 2 weeks. Before, he was
> just his usual self apart from a lame leg. Now, he is struggling to
> settle and is not sleeping well at all. The tumour is growing fast, and
> the Vet thinks he'd only have a matter of weeks.
>
> It's hard, but I'm a believer in letting people (and pets) "pass on" with
> as much dignity as possible. It's not a decision that I wanted to have to
> make, but I'd rather let him go sooner rather than watch him deteriorate
> and prolong the inevitable. Does that sound harsh? I hope not.
>
> Steven.

Lynne
February 15th 07, 11:51 PM
on Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:30:29 GMT, Steven C > wrote:

> It's hard, but I'm a believer in letting people (and pets) "pass on"
> with as much dignity as possible. It's not a decision that I wanted
> to have to make, but I'd rather let him go sooner rather than watch
> him deteriorate and prolong the inevitable. Does that sound harsh? I
> hope not.

I don't think this sounds harsh at all. I think it's a testament to your
love for your cat that you won't let him suffer just so that you can
continue to have his company.

I know this is a very difficult time, and I'm so very sorry. I hope you
are able to enjoy what time you have left. He is a very lucky cat to have
you.

--
Lynne

MaryL
February 16th 07, 02:15 AM
"Steven C" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:14:08 -0800, Buddy's Mom wrote:
>
>> Steven
>> I am so sorry to hear this! My kitty didn't have an MRI before she
>> had surgery. They just performed a lumpectomy. Is there any way that
>> the vet could do that to just give you more time????
>>
>> Is your kitty doing that badly they they have to put her down next
>> week? I was really hoping that you could buy some time here!
>> Sharon
>
> He certainly has been getting worse over the past 2 weeks. Before, he was
> just his usual self apart from a lame leg. Now, he is struggling to
> settle and is not sleeping well at all. The tumour is growing fast, and
> the Vet thinks he'd only have a matter of weeks.
>
> It's hard, but I'm a believer in letting people (and pets) "pass on" with
> as much dignity as possible. It's not a decision that I wanted to have to
> make, but I'd rather let him go sooner rather than watch him deteriorate
> and prolong the inevitable. Does that sound harsh? I hope not.
>
> Steven.

No, it's not harsh. It's a final gift of love.

Some vets will come to your home so you wouldn't have to take your kitty in
for that trip (and reduce possible stress at the time). You might want to
see if your vet will do that.

I'm so sorry. I have had to make that terrible decision, and I know how
difficult it is.

MaryL