PDA

View Full Version : loss of weight problem (Pebbles);

HJ
February 16th 07, 12:22 AM
Our dear cat Pebbles - ten years old - is listless and eating much
less than she used to. I took her to the vet yesterday (Wednesday) and
learned that she has lost five punds since her last visit. (Six months
ago). The vet tested for blood and urine. The results came back
negative for both. The vet says Pebbles is showing signs of "sick
euthyroid" which she suggests indicates an underlying condition. She
outlined three possible courses of action. X-Rays, scanning, and
ultimately invasive surgical examination. This is the first seriosu
health problem we have had with Pebbles in all these years. Two other
factors: The vet suggested a certain canned catfood which she said
smelled terrible but is loved by cats. Pebbles ate hald the can
yesterday and the other half today. We have been away for a week or so
at a time - with my son-in-law dropping in once a day fo look after
the food and litter. Any possibility Pebbles could just be melancoly?
Your suggestions would be most appreciated. Many thanks, HJ;

February 16th 07, 01:02 AM
On 15 Feb 2007 15:22:21 -0800, "HJ;" > wrote:

>Our dear cat Pebbles - ten years old - is listless and eating much
>less than she used to. I took her to the vet yesterday (Wednesday) and
>learned that she has lost five punds since her last visit. (Six months
>ago). The vet tested for blood and urine. The results came back
>negative for both. The vet says Pebbles is showing signs of "sick
>euthyroid" which she suggests indicates an underlying condition. She
>outlined three possible courses of action. X-Rays, scanning, and
>ultimately invasive surgical examination. This is the first seriosu
>health problem we have had with Pebbles in all these years. Two other
>factors: The vet suggested a certain canned catfood which she said
>smelled terrible but is loved by cats. Pebbles ate hald the can
>yesterday and the other half today. We have been away for a week or so
>at a time - with my son-in-law dropping in once a day fo look after
>the food and litter. Any possibility Pebbles could just be melancoly?
>Your suggestions would be most appreciated. Many thanks, HJ;

I can tell you from experience that stress and anxiety can play a role
in appetite. I would suggest lots of extra attention be given and
monitoring how much kitty is eating. If she is eating but still
losing weight, that suggests an underlying cause.

Good luck!

Rob