PDA

View Full Version : Didn't grab the cat tonight


dgk
February 17th 07, 01:11 AM
He (she) seemed a bit skittish so I punted. I think the sight of the
carrier made him nervous. Maybe he's been in one before.

But I'm more determined than ever that he move in. He is so like Espy.
The same basic coloring (whitish face with dark around it, and a
stripe from each eye back to the ears, almost like he has glasses on).
He is darker though, instead of a pink nose he has a blotch of dark
covering it and part of the area around it. He even holds one paw in
the air while standing still and thinking just like Espy does.

I spent around a half hour trying to coax him to come into the house.
He's outside the storm door right now so I'll give it another try. I
played dirty. After he was done with dinner I gave him some
Temptations. Kitty Krack.

The next real attempt will be Sunday night since Monday is a holiday
but the vet is working.

honeybunch
February 17th 07, 02:04 AM
I wonder why you need to do this? Why not continue to feed him
outside. Its almost kiind of cruel because male cats are so
incredibly territorial. Why not let him be your outdoor cat after
you've captured him and had him treated by the vet. Please just
release him back into his territory and continue to feed him if you
wish.

> But I'm more determined than ever that he move in. He is so like Espy.
> The same basic coloring (whitish face with dark around it, and a
> stripe from each eye back to the ears, almost like he has glasses on).
> He is darker though, instead of a pink nose he has a blotch of dark
> covering it and part of the area around it. He even holds one paw in
> the air while standing still and thinking just like Espy does.
>
> I spent around a half hour trying to coax him to come into the house.
> He's outside the storm door right now so I'll give it another try. I
> played dirty. After he was done with dinner I gave him some
> Temptations. Kitty Krack.
>
> The next real attempt will be Sunday night since Monday is a holiday
> but the vet is working.

Gail
February 17th 07, 02:12 AM
I disagree. Outdoor cats do not live long. He may make a very good housepet.
Gail
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>
> I wonder why you need to do this? Why not continue to feed him
> outside. Its almost kiind of cruel because male cats are so
> incredibly territorial. Why not let him be your outdoor cat after
> you've captured him and had him treated by the vet. Please just
> release him back into his territory and continue to feed him if you
> wish.
>
>> But I'm more determined than ever that he move in. He is so like Espy.
>> The same basic coloring (whitish face with dark around it, and a
>> stripe from each eye back to the ears, almost like he has glasses on).
>> He is darker though, instead of a pink nose he has a blotch of dark
>> covering it and part of the area around it. He even holds one paw in
>> the air while standing still and thinking just like Espy does.
>>
>> I spent around a half hour trying to coax him to come into the house.
>> He's outside the storm door right now so I'll give it another try. I
>> played dirty. After he was done with dinner I gave him some
>> Temptations. Kitty Krack.
>>
>> The next real attempt will be Sunday night since Monday is a holiday
>> but the vet is working.
>
>

dgk
February 17th 07, 03:03 AM
On 16 Feb 2007 17:04:54 -0800, "honeybunch" >
wrote:

>
>I wonder why you need to do this? Why not continue to feed him
>outside. Its almost kiind of cruel because male cats are so
>incredibly territorial. Why not let him be your outdoor cat after
>you've captured him and had him treated by the vet. Please just
>release him back into his territory and continue to feed him if you
>wish.
>

They're territorial until their neutered. If he isn't neutered then we
drown in cats. In addition, we have a lot of car traffic around here
and it's a matter of time until he gets hit. Plus, it's running around
15F these days. He's sitting on a sheet of ice while eating.

If he lives with me, he gets a house to roam around in with two other
cats, cat trees, and all sort of soft places to sleep. Plus, he gets
to go into my fenced in backyard and enjoy the outdoors. There are
worse fates if you're a cat. One of my friends wants to be
reincarnated as one of my cats.

Nothing is set in stone. Maybe he'll become an indoor/outdoor cat if
he really wants to keep wandering. Some outdoor cats refuse to go back
out once they're inside though.

I understand your point of view but there are arguments on both sides.
Plus, I don't even know that he's a he or whether he/she is fixed
already.

dgk
February 17th 07, 03:07 AM
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:12:14 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:


>"honeybunch" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>>
>> I wonder why you need to do this? Why not continue to feed him
>> outside. Its almost kiind of cruel because male cats are so
>> incredibly territorial. Why not let him be your outdoor cat after
>> you've captured him and had him treated by the vet. Please just
>> release him back into his territory and continue to feed him if you
>> wish.
>>
>>> But I'm more determined than ever that he move in. He is so like Espy.
>>> The same basic coloring (whitish face with dark around it, and a
>>> stripe from each eye back to the ears, almost like he has glasses on).
>>> He is darker though, instead of a pink nose he has a blotch of dark
>>> covering it and part of the area around it. He even holds one paw in
>>> the air while standing still and thinking just like Espy does.
>>>
>>> I spent around a half hour trying to coax him to come into the house.
>>> He's outside the storm door right now so I'll give it another try. I
>>> played dirty. After he was done with dinner I gave him some
>>> Temptations. Kitty Krack.
>>>
>>> The next real attempt will be Sunday night since Monday is a holiday
>>> but the vet is working.
>>
>>
>
>I disagree. Outdoor cats do not live long. He may make a very good housepet.
>Gail


He ended up walking into the foyer twice. It took me about a half-hour
of sitting there with the door open while it's 15F. But he finally
tiptoed in, looked around, and bolted out. Then he came back in again,
only to spot Espy on the other side of the inner (glass) door. There
was a short staring contest followed by a growl from Espy, so he went
out again. Then he camped outside on the stoop for a half-hour or so.

No need to rush. If he came in twice, he'll come in again.

Annie Wxill
February 17th 07, 05:05 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
...
> He (she) seemed a bit skittish so I punted. I think the sight of the
> carrier made him nervous. Maybe he's been in one before.
>...

Hi,
Do you think you'd be able to coax him into the crate with a dab of food or
a couple of treats and then shut the door behind him?
Annie

dgk
February 17th 07, 02:43 PM
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:05:29 -0800, "Annie Wxill"
> wrote:

>
>"dgk" > wrote in message
...
>> He (she) seemed a bit skittish so I punted. I think the sight of the
>> carrier made him nervous. Maybe he's been in one before.
>>...
>
>Hi,
>Do you think you'd be able to coax him into the crate with a dab of food or
>a couple of treats and then shut the door behind him?
>Annie
>

That's possible. I'm also willing to see if he just walks into the
house by itself.