PDA

View Full Version : I trapped the cat 15 minutes ago!

dgk
February 19th 07, 12:59 AM
Someone here made the suggestion of putting the cat carrier outside
and having her go in to get the food. So I put out the carrier about
an hour ago, knowing that she always comes by just as it gets dark.
When I saw here (I'm pretty sure it's a her), I went out and put the
food into the carrier. She was suspicious but went in and I closed the
door and she is now in the Cat Introduction Room, still in the
carrier.

I'm put some litter into a paper tray as was suggested, and will put
that into the carrier when dinner is done. She isn't happy but she
isn't crying either. I'm hoping that she isn't a mommy with babies to
feed but it is the middle of the winter so that isn't too likely.

Tomorrow I take her to the vet for neutering and tests and shots. Then
we see how Espy and Nipsy take to her, and whether she wants to stay
inside with them.

Lynne
February 19th 07, 01:16 AM
on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:59:40 GMT, dgk > wrote:

> Tomorrow I take her to the vet for neutering and tests and shots. Then
> we see how Espy and Nipsy take to her, and whether she wants to stay
> inside with them.

Fantastic work! I hope once she's back from getting spayed that she
realizes she's struck the jackpot with you and never wants to leave. :)

--
Lynne

Annie Wxill
February 19th 07, 01:19 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
....I went out and put the food into the carrier. She was suspicious but went
in and I closed the
> door and she is now in the Cat Introduction Room, still in the
> carrier.

Hi dgk,
Great job! Maybe you'll get lucky and she will have a spay scar and you'll
only have to pay for vaccinations. I suggest that you also have the vet
apply Revolution or something similar for fleas and worms.

Good luck with your introductions.

Annie

Gail
February 19th 07, 02:13 AM
HOORAY!!!!! Great work!!!!
Gail
"dgk" > wrote in message
> Someone here made the suggestion of putting the cat carrier outside
> and having her go in to get the food. So I put out the carrier about
> an hour ago, knowing that she always comes by just as it gets dark.
> When I saw here (I'm pretty sure it's a her), I went out and put the
> food into the carrier. She was suspicious but went in and I closed the
> door and she is now in the Cat Introduction Room, still in the
> carrier.
>
> I'm put some litter into a paper tray as was suggested, and will put
> that into the carrier when dinner is done. She isn't happy but she
> isn't crying either. I'm hoping that she isn't a mommy with babies to
> feed but it is the middle of the winter so that isn't too likely.
>
> Tomorrow I take her to the vet for neutering and tests and shots. Then
> we see how Espy and Nipsy take to her, and whether she wants to stay
> inside with them.

cybercat
February 19th 07, 02:21 AM
"dgk" > wrote :

> Tomorrow I take her to the vet for neutering and tests and shots. Then
> we see how Espy and Nipsy take to her, and whether she wants to stay
> inside with them.

Congrats on getting her so easily. I hope she becomes a member of the
inside family--but either way, you are saving her a lot of pain and putting
your money where your heart is--to help this cat, and keep her (or him!)
from creating more cats to suffer and die.

dgk
February 19th 07, 03:09 AM
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:19:05 -0800, "Annie Wxill"
> wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>...I went out and put the food into the carrier. She was suspicious but went
>in and I closed the
>> door and she is now in the Cat Introduction Room, still in the
>> carrier.
>
>Hi dgk,
>Great job! Maybe you'll get lucky and she will have a spay scar and you'll
>only have to pay for vaccinations. I suggest that you also have the vet
>apply Revolution or something similar for fleas and worms.
>
>Good luck with your introductions.
>
>Annie

Well, vaccinations and tests. I have to wait for the HIV and FLK
before I allow any interaction with the boys. It would be nice if she
was already neutered but then I have to worry that she already belongs
to someone. Still, why would she be running around in 15F weather and
eating like a little horse if that was the case?

Gail
February 19th 07, 03:45 AM
She is probably not owned by anyone. Plenty of cats are spayed but become
strays through neglect.
Gail
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:19:05 -0800, "Annie Wxill"
> > wrote:
>

>>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>...I went out and put the food into the carrier. She was suspicious but
>>went
>>in and I closed the
>>> door and she is now in the Cat Introduction Room, still in the
>>> carrier.
>>
>>Hi dgk,
>>Great job! Maybe you'll get lucky and she will have a spay scar and
>>you'll
>>only have to pay for vaccinations. I suggest that you also have the vet
>>apply Revolution or something similar for fleas and worms.
>>
>>Good luck with your introductions.
>>
>>Annie
>>

> Well, vaccinations and tests. I have to wait for the HIV and FLK
> before I allow any interaction with the boys. It would be nice if she
> was already neutered but then I have to worry that she already belongs
> to someone. Still, why would she be running around in 15F weather and
> eating like a little horse if that was the case?

mlbriggs
February 19th 07, 04:42 AM
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:59:40 -0500, dgk wrote:

> Someone here made the suggestion of putting the cat carrier outside
> and having her go in to get the food. So I put out the carrier about
> an hour ago, knowing that she always comes by just as it gets dark.
> When I saw here (I'm pretty sure it's a her), I went out and put the
> food into the carrier. She was suspicious but went in and I closed the
> door and she is now in the Cat Introduction Room, still in the
> carrier.
>
> I'm put some litter into a paper tray as was suggested, and will put
> that into the carrier when dinner is done. She isn't happy but she
> isn't crying either. I'm hoping that she isn't a mommy with babies to
> feed but it is the middle of the winter so that isn't too likely.
>
> Tomorrow I take her to the vet for neutering and tests and shots. Then
> we see how Espy and Nipsy take to her, and whether she wants to stay
> inside with them.

Purrs that things work out well. MLB

Annie Wxill
February 19th 07, 04:53 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> ...It would be nice if she was already neutered but then I have to worry
> that she already belongs to someone. Still, why would she be running
> around in 15F weather and
> eating like a little horse if that was the case?

Well, I hadn't thought of the possibility she had been pre-owned, but she
does sound that she has been acting more like a stray than a feral. A stray
could also be running around unspayed. And a feral could have been spayed
and then released.

Whatever her past, I'll bet she'll be happy to be warm and well fed.

Annie

kraut
February 19th 07, 02:13 PM
>> Someone here made the suggestion of putting the cat carrier outside
>> and having her go in to get the food. So I put out the carrier about
>> an hour ago, knowing that she always comes by just as it gets dark.
>> When I saw here (I'm pretty sure it's a her), I went out and put the
>> food into the carrier. She was suspicious but went in and I closed the
>> door and she is now in the Cat Introduction Room, still in the
>> carrier.
>>
>> I'm put some litter into a paper tray as was suggested, and will put
>> that into the carrier when dinner is done. She isn't happy but she
>> isn't crying either. I'm hoping that she isn't a mommy with babies to
>> feed but it is the middle of the winter so that isn't too likely.
>>
>> Tomorrow I take her to the vet for neutering and tests and shots. Then
>> we see how Espy and Nipsy take to her, and whether she wants to stay
>> inside with them.

Congrats and thank you so much for careing and worrying about this
cat.

Prayers and purrs are on the way for all there. Good luck and God
bless.

Barry
February 19th 07, 05:15 PM
On Feb 18, 6:59 pm, dgk > wrote:

> Tomorrow I take her to the vet for neutering and tests and shots. Then
> we see how Espy and Nipsy take to her, and whether she wants to stay
> inside with them.

haha! WTG

Now it's my turn

I got 3 males to catch

They are so handsome!

I don't want them to love and cuddle them, no no..
I almost covet them for their beauty.

Barry

dgk
February 20th 07, 02:02 AM
On 19 Feb 2007 08:15:15 -0800, "Barry" > wrote:

>On Feb 18, 6:59 pm, dgk > wrote:
>
>> Tomorrow I take her to the vet for neutering and tests and shots. Then
>> we see how Espy and Nipsy take to her, and whether she wants to stay
>> inside with them.
>
>haha! WTG
>
>Now it's my turn
>
>I got 3 males to catch
>
>They are so handsome!
>
>I don't want them to love and cuddle them, no no..
>I almost covet them for their beauty.
>
>Barry

Yes, this bit about feeding outdoor cats isn't going to work with me.
The first one that keeps coming around I fall in love with. And I
always said that two cats were my limit. I'm not going to get any
sleep at all now.

dgk
February 20th 07, 02:17 AM
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:53:04 -0800, "Annie Wxill"
> wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> ...It would be nice if she was already neutered but then I have to worry
>> that she already belongs to someone. Still, why would she be running
>> around in 15F weather and
>> eating like a little horse if that was the case?
>
>Well, I hadn't thought of the possibility she had been pre-owned, but she
>does sound that she has been acting more like a stray than a feral. A stray
>could also be running around unspayed. And a feral could have been spayed
>and then released.
>
>Whatever her past, I'll bet she'll be happy to be warm and well fed.
>
>Annie

Well, she isn't very happy right now. She wasn't spayed before but she
was done today. She was a bit lively when I got her home but I guess
the pain killer wore off and she's all the way under the bed in the
Cat Introduction Room. She did eat two small servings of food and she
has water and a litterbox. I hope she knows what to do with the
litterbox.

I have antibiotics to start giving her tomorrow. That isn't going to
be easy even if I can get her out from under the bed. But no pain
killers? That seems sort of cruel and I'll ask them about it tomorrow.

She's between a year and two, and likely has not had kittens. Perhaps
she is gay? I can't imagine a female cat going a year without having
kittens but I'm no expert on this stuff. She is 7.5 pounds and just
has the sweetest little face. I can't wait until she feels better.

cybercat
February 20th 07, 02:22 AM
"dgk" > wrote

> I have antibiotics to start giving her tomorrow. That isn't going to
> be easy even if I can get her out from under the bed. But no pain
> killers? That seems sort of cruel and I'll ask them about it tomorrow.

You have to ask. They cost, like, $10.

> She's between a year and two, and likely has not had kittens. Perhaps
> she is gay?

Just like people, animals can be infertile.

Barry
February 20th 07, 02:28 AM
On Feb 19, 8:02 pm, dgk > wrote:

> Yes, this bit about feeding outdoor cats isn't going to work with me.
> The first one that keeps coming around I fall in love with. And I
> always said that two cats were my limit. I'm not going to get any
> sleep at all now.

I hear ya, lol

It would be nice to have unlimited income and setup a sanctuary for
all of them.

I can see why some people are attracted to breeding. I'm sure plenty
do it for the money, but there is also the part where you are
fostering something beautiful.

Annie Wxill
February 20th 07, 04:25 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
.... She is 7.5 pounds and just
> has the sweetest little face. I can't wait until she feels better.

Hi,
I know about those sweet little faces that steal your heart. Been there,
done that.

Maybe you can hide the medicine in some food. Is it liquid or pills? I had
some good luck with Rosie by putting her liquid in a small amount of soft
food when she was hungry.

Annie

cybercat
February 20th 07, 05:23 AM
"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 19, 8:02 pm, dgk > wrote:
>
>> Yes, this bit about feeding outdoor cats isn't going to work with me.
>> The first one that keeps coming around I fall in love with. And I
>> always said that two cats were my limit. I'm not going to get any
>> sleep at all now.
>
> I hear ya, lol
>
> It would be nice to have unlimited income and setup a sanctuary for
> all of them.
>
> I can see why some people are attracted to breeding. I'm sure plenty
> do it for the money, but there is also the part where you are
> fostering something beautiful.

There are plenty of beautiful cats, already born, who need fostering.

I really cannot see why anyone would choose to breed under these
circumstances--if they get the "Big Picture."

You could foster litters of kittens every year, twice a year if you want,
and never intentionally breed.

Please think before you advocate idiocy like this.

dgk
February 20th 07, 11:41 AM
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:25:15 -0800, "Annie Wxill"
> wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>... She is 7.5 pounds and just
>> has the sweetest little face. I can't wait until she feels better.
>
>Hi,
>I know about those sweet little faces that steal your heart. Been there,
>done that.
>
>Maybe you can hide the medicine in some food. Is it liquid or pills? I had
>some good luck with Rosie by putting her liquid in a small amount of soft
>food when she was hungry.
>
>Annie

I have a sample that I got from the cat show of a soft treat that is
designed to put a pill inside. I did that and slipped it into her
food. Hopefully she'll eat it.

She is feeling much better today. She came out from under the bed as
soon as I walked into the room and started eating right away. And she
has used the litterbox.

Barry
February 20th 07, 12:46 PM
On Feb 20, 5:41 am, dgk > wrote:

> I have a sample that I got from the cat show...>

So how was that

New cat toys and food? Anything hardcore about new medicine?

How many people was there?

Were many shelter groups represented?

dgk
February 20th 07, 02:18 PM
On 20 Feb 2007 03:46:31 -0800, "Barry" > wrote:

>On Feb 20, 5:41 am, dgk > wrote:
>
>> I have a sample that I got from the cat show...>
>
>So how was that
>
>New cat toys and food? Anything hardcore about new medicine?
>
>How many people was there?
>
>Were many shelter groups represented?

The cat show was several months back, in the fall. I meant to post
about the pill pocket treat but I tried one (sans pill) and neither
Espy nor Nipsy was particularly interested. Now, if I can find a way
to hollow out a Temptation and use that... Hmm. You know, I think I'll
check the size of the antibiotic (which is very hard to break) against
some drill bits and see if I can drill a hole just a little smaller
into a Temptation and stick the pill in that. If the Temptation
doesn't shatter, I might just have a new market.

The Temptations are supposed to have a soft chewey center surrounded
by a crunchy coating so it might work. I probably shouldn't mention
this but one of my brothers once pointed out that that is a perfect
description of a fresh poop in a litterbox. At least his dog thought
so.

This was one of those CFA shows at Madison Square Garden and it was
pretty crowded. I just like looking at the Maine Coons and Norwegian
Forest Cats. And there is one southern woman judge who is very funny
and worth listening to. She really describes what they look for in a
particular type of cat.

They've added an Agility test where cats jump through hoops and stuff
and anyone can enter their cat. The clever folks have their cats
follow the laser pointers but the cats in general seem to think that
it's a waste of their time. Much more important things to do, like
nap.

There are always shelter cats at these shows; an entire wing is set
aside for them and lots of folks seem to adopt them. I thought the
folks have to adopt them and come back after approval, but some folks
walk out with cats in cardboard carriers so some must get them
immediately?

Personally, I can't really stand looking at them; I'd take them all if
I could but then there would just be more next year. I can't even go
to Petco. I just started putting some food out for some outdoor cats
and it looks like I just ended up with one. Some folks just can't be
trusted.

cindys
February 20th 07, 02:29 PM
On Feb 19, 11:23 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Barry" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Feb 19, 8:02 pm, dgk > wrote:
>
> >> Yes, this bit about feeding outdoor cats isn't going to work with me.
> >> The first one that keeps coming around I fall in love with. And I
> >> always said that two cats were my limit. I'm not going to get any
> >> sleep at all now.
>
> > I hear ya, lol
>
> > It would be nice to have unlimited income and setup a sanctuary for
> > all of them.
>
> > I can see why some people are attracted to breeding. I'm sure plenty
> > do it for the money, but there is also the part where you are
> > fostering something beautiful.
>
> There are plenty of beautiful cats, already born, who need fostering.
>
> I really cannot see why anyone would choose to breed under these
> circumstances--if they get the "Big Picture."
>
> You could foster litters of kittens every year, twice a year if you want,
> and never intentionally breed.
>
> Please think before you advocate idiocy like this.- Hide quoted text -
------------
Hopefully, he wasn't advocating it, just expressing that he understood
why people find it appealing. At any rate, it is true that a person
who wants to foster litters of kittens can do so twice a year and in a
completely legitimate way. Local no-kill shelters are always looking
for foster homes, and they frequently need foster homes for already-
pregnant strays. That was how we came to be Amanda's cat slaves.
Someone had dumped her, pregnant, at a high-kill shelter (at least
they didn't leave her in a ditch). Fortunately, rather than kill her,
the shelter decided to phone a local no-kill rescue group, and a
representative from the rescue group immediately went and picked her
up.

We fostered Amanda through the duration of her pregnancy, birth, etc
until her kittens were weaned. Then, the kittens were returned to the
rescue group to be placed in permanent homes. As soon as Amanda's milk
dried, she was spayed. She was also slated to be returned to the
rescue group so she could also be placed in an a loving permanent
home. Of course, that never happened, as she already had one. :-)

But the moral of the story, again, is that anyone who wants to foster
litters of kittens can do so through a rescue group. The group covers
all expenses, and when the kittens are weaned, mom and the kittens go
back to the group to be vaccinated, spayed/neutered, and placed in
permanent homes.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

kraut
February 20th 07, 03:11 PM
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:18:24 -0500, dgk > wrote:

>There are always shelter cats at these shows; an entire wing is set
>aside for them and lots of folks seem to adopt them. I thought the
>folks have to adopt them and come back after approval, but some folks
>walk out with cats in cardboard carriers so some must get them
>immediately?
>
>Personally, I can't really stand looking at them; I'd take them all if
>I could but then there would just be more next year. I can't even go
>to Petco. I just started putting some food out for some outdoor cats
>and it looks like I just ended up with one. Some folks just can't be
>trusted.

I know what you mean. My sister works at the local Pet Smart and that
is where I buy most of my supplies.

They have a local rescue group that brings in rescues on a weekly
basis and I TRY to avoid that area of the store because my heart aches
for these animals and I would love to take them all home but -------
One way I told myself to look at it is that these pets are off the
street and I will save my resources for the ones still out there
fending for themselves.

I know a clerk that works at the local Pet Supplies Plus store that
has rehomed over 175 strays so far and is feeding about 20 more at
last count according to her.

Lynne
February 20th 07, 05:42 PM
on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:41:13 GMT, dgk > wrote:

> She is feeling much better today. She came out from under the bed as
> soon as I walked into the room and started eating right away. And she
> has used the litterbox.

This all sounds very promising!!

--
Lynne

Rhonda
February 20th 07, 06:34 PM
Pill Pockets work once in awhile for our cats, but both of the times
I've tried it they've figured it out over time. I think it depends how
bad the pill tastes.

I couldn't get a Temptation to work. I did try a Whiskers' Lickin' soft
treat and get that to work. I broke it in 2 and then molded both sides
over the pill and had to work it for awhile. I also gave Abernathy
several pieces first without pills, then snuck in the one with a pill.

The cost of Pill Pockets is highway robbery, $9 for a very small bag.

Rhonda

dgk wrote:
> I meant to post
> about the pill pocket treat but I tried one (sans pill) and neither
> Espy nor Nipsy was particularly interested. Now, if I can find a way
> to hollow out a Temptation and use that...

Lynne
February 20th 07, 07:05 PM
on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:34:57 GMT, Rhonda > wrote:

> The cost of Pill Pockets is highway robbery, $9 for a very small bag.

That's probably because they can't get repeat customers.

--
Lynne

dgk
February 21st 07, 12:53 AM
wrote:

>Pill Pockets work once in awhile for our cats, but both of the times
>I've tried it they've figured it out over time. I think it depends how
>bad the pill tastes.
>
>I couldn't get a Temptation to work. I did try a Whiskers' Lickin' soft
>treat and get that to work. I broke it in 2 and then molded both sides
>over the pill and had to work it for awhile. I also gave Abernathy
>several pieces first without pills, then snuck in the one with a pill.
>
>The cost of Pill Pockets is highway robbery, $9 for a very small bag.
>
>Rhonda

So far so good though. She has now eaten two pills in the Pill
Pockets. If she continues, it is well worth the cost (even if I had to
pay for them instead of it being a free sample!). Espy and Nipsy freak
out if I try to throw pills down their throats and then know and trust
me. I would hate to have to do that to a cat that is still so scared
and just got neutered and vaccinated and tested.

Oh, more good news, the FLK and HIV tests came back negative. I didn't
know what I was going to do if either was positive.

She was under the bed when I first came home and I put the food under
the bed with her. But after about 10 minutes of me lying on the floor
and talking to her she came out and got petted quite a bit. As I just
left, she's lying on top of the bed on a pillow. Naturally, a queen
bed.

I'm not giving her any toys yet. She is still clearly hurting from the
surgery so she gets nothing that might excite her. The vet told me not
to put her on the bed at first because she might hurt herself jumping
down. Instead leave her on the floor until she feels well enough to
climb up on her own. So, more progress.

Gail
February 21st 07, 01:39 AM
You're doing a terrific job!! She is one lucky cat!!
Gail
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:34:57 GMT, Rhonda >
> wrote:
>
>>Pill Pockets work once in awhile for our cats, but both of the times
>>I've tried it they've figured it out over time. I think it depends how
>>bad the pill tastes.
>>
>>I couldn't get a Temptation to work. I did try a Whiskers' Lickin' soft
>>treat and get that to work. I broke it in 2 and then molded both sides
>>over the pill and had to work it for awhile. I also gave Abernathy
>>several pieces first without pills, then snuck in the one with a pill.
>>
>>The cost of Pill Pockets is highway robbery, $9 for a very small bag.
>>
>>Rhonda
>>

> So far so good though. She has now eaten two pills in the Pill
> Pockets. If she continues, it is well worth the cost (even if I had to
> pay for them instead of it being a free sample!). Espy and Nipsy freak
> out if I try to throw pills down their throats and then know and trust
> me. I would hate to have to do that to a cat that is still so scared
> and just got neutered and vaccinated and tested.
>
> Oh, more good news, the FLK and HIV tests came back negative. I didn't
> know what I was going to do if either was positive.
>
> She was under the bed when I first came home and I put the food under
> the bed with her. But after about 10 minutes of me lying on the floor
> and talking to her she came out and got petted quite a bit. As I just
> left, she's lying on top of the bed on a pillow. Naturally, a queen
> bed.
>
> I'm not giving her any toys yet. She is still clearly hurting from the
> surgery so she gets nothing that might excite her. The vet told me not
> to put her on the bed at first because she might hurt herself jumping
> down. Instead leave her on the floor until she feels well enough to
> climb up on her own. So, more progress.

cindys
February 21st 07, 02:23 AM
On Feb 20, 6:53 pm, dgk > wrote:

snippage for brevity

> So far so good though. She has now eaten two pills in the Pill
> Pockets. If she continues, it is well worth the cost (even if I had to
> pay for them instead of it being a free sample!).
-----------
If she begins to refuse the Pill Pockets (they never worked with my
cats), here is another idea, which worked with Molly when she was so
sick. She had always been nearly impossible to pill, and at the end,
she needed a lot of medications. Here's what I did: I ground up the
pill and mixed it with a little tuna water. Then, I suctioned the
ground pill/tuna water mixture into an eye dropper and squirted it in
her mouth. I could have used plain water just as easily, but I
thought Molly might find the tuna water a little more tolerable. She
still didn't like it, but I managed to get the pill down with very
little difficulty.

I hope things continue to go well. Great news about the tests coming
back negative BTW. This is one lucky kitty!
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Cheryl
February 21st 07, 03:57 AM
On Tue 20 Feb 2007 06:53:41p, dgk wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> So far so good though. She has now eaten two pills in the Pill
> Pockets. If she continues, it is well worth the cost (even if I
> had to pay for them instead of it being a free sample!). Espy
> and Nipsy freak out if I try to throw pills down their throats
> and then know and trust me. I would hate to have to do that to a
> cat that is still so scared and just got neutered and vaccinated
> and tested.
>
> Oh, more good news, the FLK and HIV tests came back negative. I
> didn't know what I was going to do if either was positive.
>
> She was under the bed when I first came home and I put the food
> under the bed with her. But after about 10 minutes of me lying
> on the floor and talking to her she came out and got petted
> quite a bit. As I just left, she's lying on top of the bed on a
> pillow. Naturally, a queen bed.
>
> I'm not giving her any toys yet. She is still clearly hurting
> from the surgery so she gets nothing that might excite her. The
> vet told me not to put her on the bed at first because she might
> hurt herself jumping down. Instead leave her on the floor until
> she feels well enough to climb up on her own. So, more progress.

Congrats!! Catching up on posts. She's in for a very spoiled
life! :)

--
Cheryl

Barry
February 21st 07, 04:31 AM
On Feb 20, 9:57 pm, Cheryl > wrote:

> Congrats!! Catching up on posts. She's in for a very spoiled
> life! :)
>
> --
> Cheryl

Indeed!

Hi Cheryl, hope all your pet cats are doing good.

I know you have quite the little setup for them, you don't post near
enough pictures, but I think I understand. I don't know how you manage
more than 5 adult cats. AND YOU WORK FULL TIME!

hey, maybe that's got something to do with it... I bet you work a lot
of overtime, haha.. just messin

Barry

Annie Wxill
February 21st 07, 04:34 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
>> Oh, more good news, the FLK and HIV tests came back negative. >after
>> about 10 minutes of me lying on the floor and talking to her she came out
>> and got petted quite a bit. As I just left, she's lying on top of the
>> bed on a pillow. .....

Hi,

Thanks for the update. It seems that she is recovering nicely and doing fine
in the house. Have you decided on a name?

Great news that the FLK and HIV tests were negative.

I hope the introduction to your other cats goes as smoothly

Annie

Cheryl
February 21st 07, 04:37 AM
On Tue 20 Feb 2007 10:31:19p, Barry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> Hi Cheryl, hope all your pet cats are doing good.
>
> I know you have quite the little setup for them, you don't post
> near enough pictures, but I think I understand. I don't know how
> you manage more than 5 adult cats. AND YOU WORK FULL TIME!
>
> hey, maybe that's got something to do with it... I bet you work
> a lot of overtime, haha.. just messin

Troll. LOL I have 4 cats.

See my post about Rhett's stinky feet. Any advice?

--
Cheryl

dgk
February 21st 07, 02:52 PM
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:34:29 -0800, "Annie Wxill"
> wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>> Oh, more good news, the FLK and HIV tests came back negative. >after
>>> about 10 minutes of me lying on the floor and talking to her she came out
>>> and got petted quite a bit. As I just left, she's lying on top of the
>>> bed on a pillow. .....
>

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for the update. It seems that she is recovering nicely and doing fine
>in the house. Have you decided on a name?
>
> Great news that the FLK and HIV tests were negative.
>
> I hope the introduction to your other cats goes as smoothly
>
>Annie

The name is a big question mark right now. I was going to call him
Arlo, after my brother's cat, Arlo (after Arlo Guthrie of course). But
he's a she, so I'm not so sure. I still like Arlo and I really don't
think it makes much difference to a cat.

Arla has been suggested but it just doesn't roll off the tongue the
same way. I think it might take though. Then we started thinking of
deceased family members who should get a mention so we ran through
Anna and Robin and Beryl. I was going to call her PS at one point
(Pete Seeger) since I already have an SP (Epsy) and they look so much
alike.

The floor is open to suggestions. I hate being at work after getting a
new cat and the poor thing still being in the Cat Introduction Room. I
should be in there petting her.

Barry
February 21st 07, 03:06 PM
On Feb 21, 8:52 am, dgk > wrote:

> The floor is open to suggestions. I hate being at work after getting a
> new cat and the poor thing still being in the Cat Introduction Room. I
> should be in there petting her.

It don't work that way

just wait, it will come to you

It took me several days to name one of my cats...

I just waited and waited.. to see what would form, and suit him.

I can't read all that chit chat... what color is he?

You don't really know what he's like do you?

dgk
February 21st 07, 05:08 PM
On 21 Feb 2007 06:06:17 -0800, "Barry" > wrote:

>On Feb 21, 8:52 am, dgk > wrote:
>
>> The floor is open to suggestions. I hate being at work after getting a
>> new cat and the poor thing still being in the Cat Introduction Room. I
>> should be in there petting her.
>
>It don't work that way
>
>just wait, it will come to you
>
>It took me several days to name one of my cats...
>
>I just waited and waited.. to see what would form, and suit him.
>
>I can't read all that chit chat... what color is he?
>
>You don't really know what he's like do you?

Well, I know that he's a she because it cost more to get her neutered.

She's partly snow white with brownish and blackish areas. Her face is
a dab of white with dark around it and the eyes have that dark line
extending back towards the neck, sort of like having glasses. I'll get
a picture up soon.

It does take a while to figure a personality but the breaker on this
came when she stopped darting around and stood there with one paw in
the air looking at me. That's just what Espy does when he is thinking
about what to do next, and that's when I really started thinking that
she might be moving in.

I think you're right about the name. It should just come. I swear I'd
name her Princess but it's just so hokey.

Annie Wxill
February 21st 07, 06:18 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message

> The name is a big question mark right now. I was going to call him
> Arlo, ...>
> Arla has been suggested

Hi,

How about Marlo or Marla?

I bet you can hardly wait to get home from work.

Annie

cybercat
February 21st 07, 06:21 PM
"dgk" > wrote

> The name is a big question mark right now. I was going to call him
> Arlo, after my brother's cat, Arlo (after Arlo Guthrie of course). But
> he's a she, so I'm not so sure. I still like Arlo and I really don't
> think it makes much difference to a cat.

Arlene. :)

cybercat
February 21st 07, 06:30 PM
"dgk" > wrote

> I think you're right about the name. It should just come. I swear I'd
> name her Princess but it's just so hokey.

It's Princess Arlene. Trust me on this. :")

Lynne
February 21st 07, 07:33 PM
on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:18:02 GMT, "Annie Wxill" >
wrote:

> How about Marlo or Marla?

Oooh, I love the name Marlo!

--
Lynne

Lynne
February 21st 07, 07:33 PM
on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:08:47 GMT, dgk > wrote:

> I think you're right about the name. It should just come. I swear I'd
> name her Princess but it's just so hokey.

What about Queenie?

Eh, never mind. I don't like that as much as Marlo. :)

--
Lynne

dgk
February 21st 07, 07:56 PM
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:33:01 -0600, Lynne
> wrote:

>on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:18:02 GMT, "Annie Wxill" >
>wrote:
>
>> How about Marlo or Marla?
>
>Oooh, I love the name Marlo!

I think that we've just named a cat.

Lynne
February 21st 07, 07:59 PM
on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:56:14 GMT, dgk > wrote:

> I think that we've just named a cat.

Marlo, "That girl!" woo hoo! What a cool and unique name (way to go,
Annie!).

Naming is so much fun. Please excuse my unbridled enthusiasm. Hehe.

--
Lynne

February 22nd 07, 03:31 AM
dgk > wrote:

>The name is a big question mark right now. I was going to call him
>Arlo, after my brother's cat, Arlo (after Arlo Guthrie of course). But
>he's a she, so I'm not so sure. I still like Arlo and I really don't
>think it makes much difference to a cat.
>
>Arla has been suggested but it just doesn't roll off the tongue the
>same way. I think it might take though. Then we started thinking of
>deceased family members who should get a mention so we ran through
>Anna and Robin and Beryl. I was going to call her PS at one point
>(Pete Seeger) since I already have an SP (Epsy) and they look so much
>alike.
>
>The floor is open to suggestions.

How about Arley? Gives you the connection you wanted and is a girlie
variant.

cybercat
February 22nd 07, 03:47 AM
> wrote in message
> dgk > wrote:
>
>>The name is a big question mark right now. I was going to call him
>>Arlo, after my brother's cat, Arlo (after Arlo Guthrie of course). But
>>he's a she, so I'm not so sure. I still like Arlo and I really don't
>>think it makes much difference to a cat.
>>
>>Arla has been suggested but it just doesn't roll off the tongue the
>>same way. I think it might take though. Then we started thinking of
>>deceased family members who should get a mention so we ran through
>>Anna and Robin and Beryl. I was going to call her PS at one point
>>(Pete Seeger) since I already have an SP (Epsy) and they look so much
>>alike.
>>
>>The floor is open to suggestions.
>
> How about Arley? Gives you the connection you wanted and is a girlie
> variant.

He's going with Marlo. But I'm telling you, that cat is an Arlene if there
ever was one. :)

Annie Wxill
February 22nd 07, 06:05 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
7.142...
> Marlo, "That girl!" woo hoo! What a cool and unique name (way to go,
> Annie!).
> Lynne

Why, thanks, Lynne.

Annie

dgk
February 22nd 07, 02:25 PM
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:47:35 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>> dgk > wrote:
>>
>>>The name is a big question mark right now. I was going to call him
>>>Arlo, after my brother's cat, Arlo (after Arlo Guthrie of course). But
>>>he's a she, so I'm not so sure. I still like Arlo and I really don't
>>>think it makes much difference to a cat.
>>>
>>>Arla has been suggested but it just doesn't roll off the tongue the
>>>same way. I think it might take though. Then we started thinking of
>>>deceased family members who should get a mention so we ran through
>>>Anna and Robin and Beryl. I was going to call her PS at one point
>>>(Pete Seeger) since I already have an SP (Epsy) and they look so much
>>>alike.
>>>
>>>The floor is open to suggestions.
>>
>> How about Arley? Gives you the connection you wanted and is a girlie
>> variant.
>>
>He's going with Marlo. But I'm telling you, that cat is an Arlene if there
>ever was one. :)

Arley and Arlene are really good also; it was s a tough choice and not
completely closed yet.

Well, this morning I opened the door to the CIR and Marlo takes a step
out into the hallway. Espy stares and lets out a hiss. I pet him. I'm
sitting on the floor between them. Another hiss. Marlo takes a few
steps into the computer/music room which ajoins the CIR. Espy walks
away. A few seconds later Nipsy walks up. Marlo hisses. Well, things
are going very smoothly I guess.

Nipsy will take to her first, and Espy will tolerate her. That's how
it was with Jackie. For now, I'm at work, and Marlo is back in the
CIR. Meanwhile downstairs I've closed the door to the basement.
Sometime very soon Marlo is going to be roaming around the house and
the basement is always off limits to new arrivals. There are just too
many places for a cat to hide and I would never find it.

When any of my cats are showing signs of not feeling well, the first
thing I do is close the basement door so they can't disappear. There
are plenty of places to hide in the rest of the house.

I have to go out tonight so I won't have much time to play with Marlo.
The weekend is looking really busy also. I think I might have to take
tomorrow (Friday) off and let the roaming begin. I'll certainly want
to be around when hell breaks loose. Should I go slower on this? I'll
check with the vet about how much activity she should be allowed
because of the operation.

Barry
February 22nd 07, 03:06 PM
On Feb 22, 8:25 am, dgk > wrote:

> Arley and Arlene are really good also; it was s a tough choice and not
> completely closed yet.

Great

Drop the pink fru fru cute lacy names and give the lady some balls
about her!

she needs something sophisticated and voluptuous like... Paula

now there's a pink power name

dgk
February 22nd 07, 05:19 PM
On 22 Feb 2007 06:06:35 -0800, "Barry" > wrote:

>On Feb 22, 8:25 am, dgk > wrote:
>
>> Arley and Arlene are really good also; it was s a tough choice and not
>> completely closed yet.
>
>Great
>
>Drop the pink fru fru cute lacy names and give the lady some balls
>about her!
>
>she needs something sophisticated and voluptuous like... Paula
>
>now there's a pink power name

Paula is pretty good, but I really like Marlo. That Girl. Do you know
the tv show that we're talking about? Sometimes I forget how old I am
and the cultural references that might pass folks by. In fact, if I
just insulted anyone, having watched That Girl doesn't mean that
you're old.

Barry
February 22nd 07, 05:47 PM
On Feb 22, 11:19 am, dgk > wrote:
having watched That Girl doesn't mean that
> you're old.

Of kerse not

I do know the Gilligan Island characters, Ginger, Mary Anne and Mr
Howell's wife Lovey.

Lovey is dangerous!

I gotta see her, make with the pics

Annie Wxill
February 22nd 07, 05:53 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
.... if I just insulted anyone, having watched That Girl doesn't mean that
> you're old.

Ha! Yes, it does. I watched it. I'm not insulted. I'm not ancient yet, but
I'm old enough to be a grandma. ;-)

Annie

22brix
February 22nd 07, 06:19 PM
"Annie Wxill" > wrote in message

> "dgk" > wrote in message
> ... if I just insulted anyone, having watched That Girl doesn't mean that
>> you're old.
>
> Ha! Yes, it does. I watched it. I'm not insulted. I'm not ancient yet,
> but I'm old enough to be a grandma. ;-)
>
> Annie

You're pretty young then! A co-worker of mine was a grandma at 32!

Bonnie

February 22nd 07, 09:31 PM
"cybercat" > wrote:

>> How about Arley? Gives you the connection you wanted and is a girlie
>> variant.
>>
>He's going with Marlo. But I'm telling you, that cat is an Arlene if there
>ever was one. :)

Is not
is too
is not

and so on. :-)

Annie Wxill
February 22nd 07, 09:52 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> You're pretty young then! A co-worker of mine was a grandma at 32!
> Bonnie
Well, I'm not ready to admit to being young enough to be a great-grandma,
having just recently become a grandma.

Annie

cybercat
February 22nd 07, 10:27 PM
> wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>>> How about Arley? Gives you the connection you wanted and is a girlie
>>> variant.
>>>
>>He's going with Marlo. But I'm telling you, that cat is an Arlene if there
>>ever was one. :)
>
> Is not
> is too
> is not
>
> and so on. :-)

hahahahaha!

22brix
February 23rd 07, 12:02 AM
"Annie Wxill" > wrote in message

> "22brix" > wrote in message
>>
>> You're pretty young then! A co-worker of mine was a grandma at 32!
>> Bonnie
> Well, I'm not ready to admit to being young enough to be a great-grandma,
> having just recently become a grandma.
>
> Annie

Congrats! Must be exciting!

Bonnie

dgk
February 23rd 07, 02:40 PM
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:31:13 -0500,
wrote:

>"cybercat" > wrote:
>
>>> How about Arley? Gives you the connection you wanted and is a girlie
>>> variant.
>>>
>>He's going with Marlo. But I'm telling you, that cat is an Arlene if there
>>ever was one. :)
>
>Is not
>is too
>is not
>
>and so on. :-)

Does that count as four posts?

February 23rd 07, 05:00 PM
dgk > wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:31:13 -0500,
>wrote:

>>>He's going with Marlo. But I'm telling you, that cat is an Arlene if there
>>>ever was one. :)
>>
>>Is not
>>is too
>>is not
>>
>>and so on. :-)
>
>Does that count as four posts?

Yes I was being efficient :-)

cybercat
February 23rd 07, 06:56 PM
> wrote
>>
>>Does that count as four posts?
>
> Yes I was being efficient :-)

Saved me some typing too, I appreciate it. :)

February 23rd 07, 07:54 PM
"cybercat" > wrote:

> wrote
>>>
>>>Does that count as four posts?
>>
>> Yes I was being efficient :-)
>>

>Saved me some typing too, I appreciate it. :)

LOL