PDA

View Full Version : Pooping outside the litter box!?

February 19th 07, 03:35 AM
Hi. We have a female cat - Minnie - who is not quite 2 years old.
This last year she developed chronic diarrhea, for which she has been
to the vet several times. It's probably inflammatory bowel syndrome.
We've had her on a special diet (ID), and administered prednisone and
metrozole - this last to kill bacteria and protozoa. It has improved a
little at times, but has not come close to clearing up. We'll keep
trying at the vets. But we're trying to deal with a very exasperating
secondary problem - probably related to the first: she constantly
poops all over the floor of the room where we have the litter box.
She'll go in the box (actually, we have two boxes there, since we have
two cats), but more often she'll go outside it, along the wall, in the
corner, etc. We've taken to putting newspapers down on the floor along
the wall, to make it easier to clean up. But how do we get her to stop
going outside the litter box. It's pretty bad; we're ashamed to have
visitors even look into this room....which is an extra bedroom. Any
help or ideas would be appreciated. If this keeps up she'll have to be
strictly an outdoor cat.....but she belongs to our little girl, who
feels very strongly about not having that happen!
thanks,
Randy

Rene S.
February 19th 07, 03:28 PM
Please do not put your cat outside! If she's been indoor only, she
will not survive, especially this time of year when the weather is
cold.

First, here's a general article on litterbox care:
http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/litterbox/

Have you tried offering multiple boxes with different types of litter?
Is it possible that your other cat is "guarding" the box and not
allowing her to go--have you tried adding another box in a different
location? Do you have any covered boxes? Sometimes those are avoided
because odors build up quickly.

If all else fails, it's possible, you may have to retrain her to use
her box. Scroll down here for information:
http://www.treehouseanimals.org/Tree%20House%20Site-E-LBI.htm

Rhonda
February 19th 07, 06:38 PM
Randy, I wonder if she's equating the litter box to her problem. Maybe
her stomach or intestines are upset and she blames the box.

I think I'd try more boxes like Rene said, or even different litter. If
she's going along one wall, I'd be tempted to put litter boxes all along
that wall for now. Maybe throw the first box away.

Hope you find out what's causing her problem. Did the vet suggest a
potassium supplement too? We had a cat with chronic diarrhea from having
a colon removed and she had to be on the supplement.

Please don't make her an outdoor cat because she is sick. She can't help
it. These cats are totally dependent on us for help. Just like a kid
who's sick and vomits all over the house, we need to do our best with
these problems until we can fix the main problem.

Also, if she's got diarrhea and is outside, it won't be long before she
gets fly eggs, then maggots, on her rear. When that happens -- that will
be a big vet bill if you can catch it in time.

Good luck,

Rhonda