PDA

View Full Version : A terrible accident - Need opinions on what went wrong

Mikey
February 19th 07, 10:25 AM
I need some advice on an unfortunate accident.

I had a cat that was an outdoor only cat. I wish I could've brought
him inside but I had no control in that matter as my parents wouldn't
allow it. Recently, the cat was attacked by a dog and as soon as I
heard the commotion I ran outside to get the cat. He was alive laying
on his back with his paws in the air. I immediately rushed him to the
emergency vet hospital. They said there were no puncture wounds but
his back legs and tail weren't moving and that he was paralyzed. They
took several xrays and determined there was no spinal damage, no
internal bleeding that they could see, and everything else looked ok.
His bladder was empty and he did have stool in his colon. They said it
was possible that damage could've been done to the bladder but weren't
sure. They had no idea what was causing the paralysis and it could be
shock or that damage was done to the spine. I think they were
suggesting that the dog could've picked the cat up and should him hard
enough to cause damage to the spine even though it was fine on the
xray. They also said his temperature went from 96 to 94 and they were
trying to warm him up but his temp. was dropping. It's possible he
could've already had a low temp from just being/living outside. They
gave him what looked like 0.3 to 0.6mg of Buprenorphine, 4mg of
Dexamethasone, and 200mg of Ampicillin. They wanted to keep him
overnight but one of my parents had a cow about the cost and insisted
the cat was simply in shock and would be fine in a day or two.

So I took the cat home against my better judgement. About 40min to 1hr
later I noticed him breathing strange and moving around a lot. I
decided to take him back right away. Unfortunately, he died before we
got there.

I asked the vet if there was a possibility that he would've died even
if I had left him there. They couldn't answer that but did say they
could've slowed it down. They also said that the cat had a bowel
movement shortly before it died. I think it happened before we left
the house and that was part of the reason he was moving around in his
box so much and was so distressed.

I am upset about what happened but I think it was something that was
supposed to happen, it was predestined. I won't say why but I just
have this feeling that everything was already mapped out and nothing
could've changed what happened.

One of the things bugging me the most is that I have no idea what the
medical reason was of why he died. The vet didn't seem to know either.
They had no idea what caused the paralysis, no idea why his temp. was
falling and no idea of what caused him to die. I know it's not really
important now, but I'd really like to have some idea of what happened.
It just seems odd that if the xrays were normal and there was no
internal bleeding that could've he died so soon, unless something was
seriously wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have been wrong?

The dog that bit him, had bit a person a while back and the person
said that there was no puncture wounds (just a scrape). However, they
ended up with a gigantic bruise that hurt very badly with a sharp
stinging pain. It was at least 6 inches wide and 6 inches long and was
deep purple. A few months later there is still a dull pain and either
a light brown bruise there or some sort of permanent skin damage that
leaves a light brown color (they're not sure which). If the dog bit a
person that hard for only a few seconds and left that kind of damage,
I wonder what damage it could've done to a small 9 pound cat that
maybe wasn't visible with an xray.

So having said all that, I would like to hear opinions about this
situation. I'd like to know if anyone has ideas on why the cat died. I
realize I'll never know for sure but if something like this should
ever happen again (it better not), I'd like to be prepared.

February 19th 07, 10:55 AM
In article om>,
"Mikey" > wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have been wrong?

I'm so sorry about your cat. I suggest that the vet did not do any
diagnostic work on the brain. If the dog shook the cat severely, even
briefly, it could easily have caused injuries to the brain similar to
the horrific injuries seen in the "shaken child" syndrome. That would
explain all the symptoms you mention. Moreover, brain injuries can occur
quickly, without visible injury to anything else-- also a condition seen
in abused children.

I suspect his injuries were probably fatal before you rescued him.

Again, condolences for your loss.

silvercelt
February 19th 07, 11:57 AM
The vets should have taken him in and treat him for at least shock.
He should have been give IVF and kept warm in kennels. The injuries
may have been fatal before you took him to the vets, but he should
have been admitted for obs and fluids.

Mikey
February 19th 07, 12:32 PM
silvercelt wrote:
> The vets should have taken him in and treat him for at least shock.
> He should have been give IVF and kept warm in kennels. The injuries
> may have been fatal before you took him to the vets, but he should
> have been admitted for obs and fluids.

I just looked at the paperwork and it shows he was given fluids. They
did try to warm him with blankets and special heating/water bottles.
They actually sent two of these bottles with me when I took him home.

I might take him to my regular vet today if I decide to have him
cremated. They were faxed all the paperwork about what happened so I
might ask them if they can offer an opinion. They might have one but I
doubt they'd give it to me.

Now I can't make up my mind if I should bury him or have him cremated.
His brother who he was close to is buried in my backyard and I want
them to be together. But we still have hard ice covering the ground
and it may not be possible to bury him until later in the week
(Wednesday or Thursday). That could cause odor problems and he smells
as it is (sorry). I actually prefer cremation but I do want him with
his brother. I could scatter his ashes on his brother's grave once the
ice melts. But then I feel like it's not the same. Or I could pour his
ashes in a box and bury those beside his brother once the ice melts.
But then what do I do with the urn? I really don't want to bury that,
it doesn't seem right. I can't decide what to do and I need to make a
decision soon, like today. Decisions, decisions.

I've never had a problem with these decisions before. But somehow,
this is different. Oddly, I'm not even angry at the dog owner. I was
when it happened but cooled off fairly quickly. I'm not even all that
upset because I'm sure it was meant to happen and I did everything I
could. In the past, I've made lousy decisions in emergency situations
but this time I know I made the right decisions. Or maybe I'm in shock
and it will hit me later in the week.

---MIKE---
February 19th 07, 01:32 PM
I would also be concerned about the dog. It should not be allowed to
run free. If I had been bitten I would have insisted on a rabies test
or at least confinement to see if the dog had rabies. The dog's owner
leaves himself open to expensive lawsuits when people are bitten.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Matthew
February 19th 07, 02:00 PM
Pick up the phone this morning and call the animal shelter and report the
attack.. If the dog has attacked a person and now a cat plus possible other
incident. The owner need to be held responsible and the dog at least can be
labeled dangerous to help out the next person that it attacks.

The damage to the person sounds like an allergic reaction to either the
dog's saliva or the treatment the person received. The dull pain indicated
possible nerve damage.

"Mikey" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> silvercelt wrote:
>> The vets should have taken him in and treat him for at least shock.
>> He should have been give IVF and kept warm in kennels. The injuries
>> may have been fatal before you took him to the vets, but he should
>> have been admitted for obs and fluids.
>

> I just looked at the paperwork and it shows he was given fluids. They
> did try to warm him with blankets and special heating/water bottles.
> They actually sent two of these bottles with me when I took him home.
>
> I might take him to my regular vet today if I decide to have him
> cremated. They were faxed all the paperwork about what happened so I
> might ask them if they can offer an opinion. They might have one but I
> doubt they'd give it to me.
>
> Now I can't make up my mind if I should bury him or have him cremated.
> His brother who he was close to is buried in my backyard and I want
> them to be together. But we still have hard ice covering the ground
> and it may not be possible to bury him until later in the week
> (Wednesday or Thursday). That could cause odor problems and he smells
> as it is (sorry). I actually prefer cremation but I do want him with
> his brother. I could scatter his ashes on his brother's grave once the
> ice melts. But then I feel like it's not the same. Or I could pour his
> ashes in a box and bury those beside his brother once the ice melts.
> But then what do I do with the urn? I really don't want to bury that,
> it doesn't seem right. I can't decide what to do and I need to make a
> decision soon, like today. Decisions, decisions.
>
> I've never had a problem with these decisions before. But somehow,
> this is different. Oddly, I'm not even angry at the dog owner. I was
> when it happened but cooled off fairly quickly. I'm not even all that
> upset because I'm sure it was meant to happen and I did everything I
> could. In the past, I've made lousy decisions in emergency situations
> but this time I know I made the right decisions. Or maybe I'm in shock
> and it will hit me later in the week.

bookie
February 19th 07, 02:28 PM
On 19 Feb, 09:25, "Mikey" > wrote:
> [...]
> said that there was no puncture wounds (just a scrape). However, they
> ended up with a gigantic bruise that hurt very badly with a sharp
> stinging pain. It was at least 6 inches wide and 6 inches long and was
> deep purple. A few months later there is still a dull pain and either
> a light brown bruise there or some sort of permanent skin damage that
> leaves a light brown color (they're not sure which). If the dog bit a
> person that hard for only a few seconds and left that kind of damage,
> I wonder what damage it could've done to a small 9 pound cat that
> maybe wasn't visible with an xray.
>
> So having said all that, I would like to hear opinions about this
> situation. I'd like to know if anyone has ideas on why the cat died. I
> realize I'll never know for sure but if something like this should
> ever happen again (it better not), I'd like to be prepared.

he probably died of shock and also compression of the brain if he was
picked up and shaken around by the big dog byt he sounds of it.

i am VERY disappointed/saddened/angry at your parents reaction as
their selfishness did not help the situation and their insistence that
the cat stay outdoors certainly put the poor little fellow at risk
from attack by other animals such as this dog. Part of the reason this
happened inthe first place is because of them refusing to let the cat
live indoors and part of the reason he may have suffered and died
after the event is also down to them for being so tight about paying
vets bills and making you take the cat home when he so obviously
needed urgent and professional medical attention.

when you take on an domestic animal you take on a BIG responsibility
as you know, and it is down to you to care for and protect the animal
as it cannot do so for itself.

this may sound harsh but if your folks are giong to be so uptight and
hard-nosed about you keepgin animals indoors then maybe it would be
best if you didn't get another cat? it is a shame because you
obviously care for them but making you keep it outside is not the best
for the cat and puts them at risk of attack as this episode has
clearly shown, so unless you can get your parents to change their
minds (and this attack woudl be excellent back-up for you!) maybe it
woudl be better to wait until you have a place of your own before oyu
get another puss.

sorry if that sounds harsh but this kind of thing makes me really
angry when animals in distress are denied the help they need because
someone doesn't want to spend a bit of cash, my sincerest condolences
for your loss though, at least he is safe and warm in heaven now and
no dogs can get him

bookie

Mikey
February 19th 07, 02:39 PM
Matthew wrote:
> Pick up the phone this morning and call the animal shelter and report the
> attack.. If the dog has attacked a person and now a cat plus possible other
> incident. The owner need to be held responsible and the dog at least can be
> labeled dangerous to help out the next person that it attacks.
>
> The damage to the person sounds like an allergic reaction to either the
> dog's saliva or the treatment the person received. The dull pain indicated
> possible nerve damage.

I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
of my cat's.

Lynne
February 19th 07, 03:48 PM
on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:25:15 GMT, "Mikey" > wrote:

> So having said all that, I would like to hear opinions about this
> situation. I'd like to know if anyone has ideas on why the cat died.

The paralysis strongly suggests spinal cord injury. Not all spinal cord
injuries are visible on xray, but anything at this point is pure
speculation--including whether or not the vet could have saved him since he
should have been left there for further treatment.

--
Lynne

Lynne
February 19th 07, 04:27 PM
on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:39:20 GMT, "Mikey" > wrote:

> I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
> and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
> position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
> could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
> think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
> the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
> him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
> having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
> the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
> happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
> would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
> before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
> of my cat's.

Yeah, reporting your own father would be awkward. Call Animal Control when
he's not home and have the dog picked up. Your father will have to pay a
hefty fine to get him back. Maybe he'll decide it's not worth it. He
sounds like a ****ty pet owner and the dog would be better off with someone
else, assuming he's even adoptable at this point.

--
Lynne

Matthew
February 19th 07, 04:48 PM
No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child. take a
while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
right.

"Mikey" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Matthew wrote:
>> Pick up the phone this morning and call the animal shelter and report the
>> attack.. If the dog has attacked a person and now a cat plus possible
>> other
>> incident. The owner need to be held responsible and the dog at least can
>> be
>> labeled dangerous to help out the next person that it attacks.
>>
>> The damage to the person sounds like an allergic reaction to either the
>> dog's saliva or the treatment the person received. The dull pain
>> indicated
>> possible nerve damage.
>>

> I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
> and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
> position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
> could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
> think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
> the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
> him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
> having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
> the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
> happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
> would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
> before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
> of my cat's.

cybercat
February 19th 07, 04:55 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child. take
> a while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
> should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
> right.

This is the same guy who posted saying that the cat was peeing in its own
bed. It was probably an intruder animal that was doing that. He knew the cat
was in danger.

I saw this coming. It just makes me shudder, thinking about what happens to
these poor animals.

cindys
February 19th 07, 04:57 PM
On Feb 19, 10:48 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
> No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child. take a
> while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
> should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
> right.
>
> "Mikey" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > Matthew wrote:
> >> Pick up the phone this morning and call the animal shelter and report the
> >> attack.. If the dog has attacked a person and now a cat plus possible
> >> other
> >> incident. The owner need to be held responsible and the dog at least can
> >> be
> >> labeled dangerous to help out the next person that it attacks.
>
> >> The damage to the person sounds like an allergic reaction to either the
> >> dog's saliva or the treatment the person received. The dull pain
> >> indicated
> >> possible nerve damage.
>
> > I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
> > and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
> > position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
> > could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
> > think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
> > the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
> > him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
> > having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
> > the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
> > happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
> > would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
> > before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
> > of my cat's.- Hide quoted text -

----------
If you reported this individual and he were to find out, would you be
in physical danger? Would you be beaten? On the basis of what you have
written (that the dog is tied up outside all the time, no
vaccinations, no license, has bitten a person, kills possums, and
killed a cat), it is clear to me that the dog is abused. This says a
lot about the dog owner's personality overall. I wouldn't be surprised
to find out that the dog is beaten or sometimes without food, water,
or shelter. Not to mention the sheer cruelty of not permitting a cat
to stay at the vet who was paralyzed and clearly required medical
care. ALWAYS REMEMBER: The way people treat animals is always a good
indicator of how they treat people. I would say that your problem
extends far beyond the cat situation. Rather than thinking about
getting any more cats, you need to focus on what you need to do to
remove yourself from what sounds to be a suffocating, abusive and
potentially dangerous environment FOR YOU. You don't say how old you
are, but I suspect you are a teenager. Do you have a teacher or
guidance counselor who could help you? Please keep posting and let us
know you are okay.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cindys
February 19th 07, 05:05 PM
On Feb 19, 10:57 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> On Feb 19, 10:48 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
>

> > No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child. take a
> > while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
> > should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
> > right.
>
> > "Mikey" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> > > I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
> > > and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
> > > position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
> > > could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
> > > think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
> > > the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
> > > him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
> > > having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
> > > the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
> > > happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
> > > would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
> > > before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
> > > of my cat's.- Hide quoted text -

> ----------
> If you reported this individual and he were to find out, would you be
> in physical danger? Would you be beaten? On the basis of what you have
> written (that the dog is tied up outside all the time, no
> vaccinations, no license, has bitten a person, kills possums, and
> killed a cat), it is clear to me that the dog is abused. This says a
> lot about the dog owner's personality overall. I wouldn't be surprised
> to find out that the dog is beaten or sometimes without food, water,
> or shelter. Not to mention the sheer cruelty of not permitting a cat
> to stay at the vet who was paralyzed and clearly required medical
> care. ALWAYS REMEMBER: The way people treat animals is always a good
> indicator of how they treat people. I would say that your problem
> extends far beyond the cat situation. Rather than thinking about
> getting any more cats, you need to focus on what you need to do to
> remove yourself from what sounds to be a suffocating, abusive and
> potentially dangerous environment FOR YOU. You don't say how old you
> are, but I suspect you are a teenager. Do you have a teacher or
> guidance counselor who could help you? Please keep posting and let us
> know you are okay.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -
------------
And upon rereading your original post, I realized that the person the
dog bit was you. If you were not taken to the doctor, and the dog did
not have a rabies vaccination, this qualifies as child abuse and
neglect. It is against the law. If you would e-mail me privately, I
would be willing to make an anonymous phone call to your local animal
control and child protective services on your behalf. No one will ever
know who made the phone call but once they receive the call, an
investigation is mandatory. I'm very worried about you (and your
mother), and I'm not afraid of your father.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cindys
February 19th 07, 05:16 PM
On Feb 19, 10:55 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote in message

> > No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child. take
> > a while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
> > should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
> > right.
>
> This is the same guy who posted saying that the cat was peeing in its own
> bed. It was probably an intruder animal that was doing that. He knew the cat
> was in danger.
>
> I saw this coming. It just makes me shudder, thinking about what happens to
> these poor animals.
--------
My guess would be that the cat was being terrorized by the dog and/or
his father. Right now, I am literally crying for this poor cat who was
first terrorized/abused and then died such a horrible death. It is
critically important that the OP understand that he should not acquire
any more animals before he is able to remove himself from this
horribly abusive situation. I am still stunned that he was badly
bitten by an unvaccinated dog, and his father did not seek medical
treatment for him and kept the dog. This is totally against the law
and speaks volumes about him as a parent and a person. BTW, Mikey,
despite my cutesy little girl name, "Cindy", I am adult woman with a
husband and a family. As I said, I will try to help you if you want to
e-mail me. I am not afraid of your father. He actually probably
belongs in jail for child abuse and animal abuse and endangering the
welfare of a minor (and that's only on the basis of what you've told
us).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Matthew
February 19th 07, 05:20 PM
Cindy before you get involved you may want to Google that email account
and look at all the problems this person has described in their life over
that last couple years. If it is true which I am not saying it is not.
You are going to be opening up one big can of worms and trouble in my book.

"cindys" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 19, 10:57 am, "cindys" > wrote:
>> On Feb 19, 10:48 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
>>

>> > No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child.
>> > take a
>> > while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
>> > should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
>> > right.
>>
>> > "Mikey" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...

>> ----------
>> If you reported this individual and he were to find out, would you be
>> in physical danger? Would you be beaten? On the basis of what you have
>> written (that the dog is tied up outside all the time, no
>> vaccinations, no license, has bitten a person, kills possums, and
>> killed a cat), it is clear to me that the dog is abused. This says a
>> lot about the dog owner's personality overall. I wouldn't be surprised
>> to find out that the dog is beaten or sometimes without food, water,
>> or shelter. Not to mention the sheer cruelty of not permitting a cat
>> to stay at the vet who was paralyzed and clearly required medical
>> care. ALWAYS REMEMBER: The way people treat animals is always a good
>> indicator of how they treat people. I would say that your problem
>> extends far beyond the cat situation. Rather than thinking about
>> getting any more cats, you need to focus on what you need to do to
>> remove yourself from what sounds to be a suffocating, abusive and
>> potentially dangerous environment FOR YOU. You don't say how old you
>> are, but I suspect you are a teenager. Do you have a teacher or
>> guidance counselor who could help you? Please keep posting and let us
>> know you are okay.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -
> ------------
> And upon rereading your original post, I realized that the person the
> dog bit was you. If you were not taken to the doctor, and the dog did
> not have a rabies vaccination, this qualifies as child abuse and
> neglect. It is against the law. If you would e-mail me privately, I
> would be willing to make an anonymous phone call to your local animal
> control and child protective services on your behalf. No one will ever
> know who made the phone call but once they receive the call, an
> investigation is mandatory. I'm very worried about you (and your
> mother), and I'm not afraid of your father.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Lynne
February 19th 07, 05:28 PM
on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:16:28 GMT, "cindys" >
wrote:

> I am still stunned that he was badly
> bitten by an unvaccinated dog

While I agree the father is an irresponsible ass, I believe the OP states
there were no puncture wounds with the bite, so I wouldn't exactly classify
that as "badly" bitten. Assuming there is an abuse problem might be a
stretch. The kind of dog neglect the OP writes about happens all the time
by average idiots.

The only fact we can be sure of based on what has been written is that this
family shouldn't have any pets. The dog should be picked up by AC, and one
phone call is all it would take. The dog has bitten a person and killed a
pet. He will surely be put down, but it is my belief that a neglected dog
living on the end of a chain is better off euthanized. His bite history
makes him unadoptable.

The kid should pick up the phone, call AC and make arrangements for the dog
to be picked up when the father isn't home. That's assuming the father
won't retaliate violently, of course. If that's a risk, the kid needs to
worry about himself before the dog, and seek the help of a trusted adult.

--
Lynne

Rhonda
February 19th 07, 06:55 PM
Mikey, it might not be too late to have a necropsy done on him if you
want to see exactly how he died. I don't know if they could check the
brain though -- I know our vet does not do that. They could see the
extent of other internal injuries.

How about getting him cremated and getting his ashes back, then burying
him by his brother?

I'm sorry this all happened, and I'm sorry you're in the situation you
are in. You sound very smart and together and I think you'll be able to
get past this and make a great life for yourself and whatever pets and
people you are with in the future.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Mikey wrote:

> Now I can't make up my mind if I should bury him or have him cremated.
> His brother who he was close to is buried in my backyard and I want
> them to be together. But we still have hard ice covering the ground
> and it may not be possible to bury him until later in the week
> (Wednesday or Thursday).

bookie
February 19th 07, 07:38 PM
On 19 Feb, 15:27, Lynne > wrote:
> on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:39:20 GMT, "Mikey" > wrote:
>
> > I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
> > and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
> > position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
> > could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
> > think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
> > the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
> > him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
> > having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
> > the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
> > happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
> > would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
> > before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
> > of my cat's.
>
> Yeah, reporting your own father would be awkward. Call Animal Control when
> he's not home and have the dog picked up. Your father will have to pay a
> hefty fine to get him back. Maybe he'll decide it's not worth it. He
> sounds like a ****ty pet owner and the dog would be better off with someone
> else, assuming he's even adoptable at this point.
>
> --
> Lynne

i agree, the father is a ****ty pet owner and shoudl not be allowed to
have animals at all, and i really hope that you mikey do not get
anymore animals of your own until you have moved out of there, for the
sake of the animals really.

Ithink you should report your father, sod him, he deserves it the
nasty git, he deserves everything he gets as a result.

bookie

bookie
February 19th 07, 07:43 PM
On 19 Feb, 15:48, "Matthew" > wrote:
> No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child. take a
> while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
> should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
> right.

couldn't agree with this anymore if I tried, just the same as I think
that when you take on an animal you shoud be prepared to look after it
properly and care for it when it is ill no matter what that costs,
anything less is cruelty especially as it seesm your own father was
the cauise of the attack by (a) havign the dog and (b) maknig the cat
live outside.
what kind of a nasty vicious ******* does that kind of thing? if i
were you i would worry about my own safety in that situation, the man
is not fit to be your father and you should tell him so, he is
obviusly just a nasty bully and requires a good kicking from someone.
he also does nto value life either, so tell me when you were little
and you were ill did he ever bother tp pay for medicine for you or
take you to the doctor when you were a baby? or did he just decided
that the risk that you might pee somewhere inthe house when you were
newborn was just too great and made you live outside in a hutch? it
has happened before you know

whole thing makes me feel very very sad, at least that cat is out of
there now, please DO NOT get any more animals at least not until you
have got rid of your parents

bookie

bookie
February 19th 07, 07:54 PM
On 19 Feb, 15:57, "cindys" > wrote:
> On Feb 19, 10:48 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
>

> > No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child. take a
> > while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
> > should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
> > right.
>
> > "Mikey" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> > > I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
> > > and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
> > > position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
> > > could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
> > > think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
> > > the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
> > > him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
> > > having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
> > > the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
> > > happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
> > > would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
> > > before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
> > > of my cat's.- Hide quoted text -

> ----------
> If you reported this individual and he were to find out, would you be
> in physical danger? Would you be beaten? On the basis of what you have
> written (that the dog is tied up outside all the time, no
> vaccinations, no license, has bitten a person, kills possums, and
> killed a cat), it is clear to me that the dog is abused. This says a
> lot about the dog owner's personality overall. I wouldn't be surprised
> to find out that the dog is beaten or sometimes without food, water,
> or shelter. Not to mention the sheer cruelty of not permitting a cat
> to stay at the vet who was paralyzed and clearly required medical
> care. ALWAYS REMEMBER: The way people treat animals is always a good
> indicator of how they treat people. I would say that your problem
> extends far beyond the cat situation. Rather than thinking about
> getting any more cats, you need to focus on what you need to do to
> remove yourself from what sounds to be a suffocating, abusive and
> potentially dangerous environment FOR YOU. You don't say how old you
> are, but I suspect you are a teenager. Do you have a teacher or
> guidance counselor who could help you? Please keep posting and let us
> know you are okay.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -

damn, I log off, go away, come back hours later and find peolpe have
posted just what i wanted to say, grrrr.

this father needs a damn good kicking and if I was onthe other side of
the pond I woudl be more than happy to dish it out. Years of dealign
with obnoxious parents has made me used to confrontation with vicious
obnoxious *******s like this one, and liek cindy i am no longer scared
of anyone but liek mikey i know whatit can be like to be petrified of
a parent and the control they have over you.
if you are scared or worried there are people who can help and if you
are in immediate danger you can call the police or anybody and they
will help you straightaway, nobody should have to live in fear.

but please promise that you WILL NOT GET ANY MORE ANIMALS, i know that
you probably want to because they give you comfort during bad times
etc but think of the position you are putting them in, it is not fair
on those animals.

and yes i think you should just getthe **** out of there and get this
man picked up, let someone else deal with him, there are people out
there whose job it is to deal with bullies like this so you are not
alone.

wish I could help in a more practical way but am on the wrong side of
the pond

bookie

cybercat
February 19th 07, 08:56 PM
"cindys" > wrote >

> Right now, I am literally crying for this poor cat who was
> first terrorized/abused and then died such a horrible death.

yeah, I literally cannot bear this kind of post. My way of dealing
with the pain in the past has been to flame the poster, but that really
helps nobody. It leaves me feeling so helpless.

But we need to remember that this is just one event of thousands
that happen across the US every day to these animals. Support
our local shelters, trap neuter and spay organizations, etc.

sheelagh
February 19th 07, 08:56 PM
On Feb 19, 6:38 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
> On 19 Feb, 15:27, Lynne > wrote:
>

> > on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:39:20 GMT, "Mikey" > wrote:
>
> > > I probably shouldn't say this but... I know the dog owner very well
> > > and if I reported him I'd be in big trouble. I'm in a terrible
> > > position where reporting him would just be about the dumbest thing I
> > > could ever possibly do. I wish I could explain further but I don't
> > > think I should. If you knew what those reasons are, you'd understand
> > > the horrible position I'm in. I'm thinking of anonymously reporting
> > > him for not having a dog license which is a state law, and for not
> > > having a rabies vaccination. The dog is usually tied up and this is
> > > the first time it's been loose in over 6 months. I knew this would
> > > happen if that dog got loose. The owner never thought that the dog
> > > would kill a cat despite the fact that the dog has killed possums
> > > before. I knew when he got that dog a year ago that it would kill one
> > > of my cat's.
>
> > Yeah, reporting your own father would be awkward. Call Animal Control when
> > he's not home and have the dog picked up. Your father will have to pay a
> > hefty fine to get him back. Maybe he'll decide it's not worth it. He
> > sounds like a ****ty pet owner and the dog would be better off with someone
> > else, assuming he's even adoptable at this point.
>
> > --
> > Lynne
>
> i agree, the father is a ****ty pet owner and shoudl not be allowed to
> have animals at all, and i really hope that you mikey do not get
> anymore animals of your own until you have moved out of there, for the
> sake of the animals really.
>
> Ithink you should report your father, sod him, he deserves it the
> nasty git, he deserves everything he gets as a result.
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

Don't feel awkward, just do it!!
No one seems to be thinking about your pain upon loosing your precious
feline friend or your cats pain either, so why the hell should you
feel any pity about doing the "right thing!?
Go for it Mikey!
S;o)

Lynne
February 19th 07, 09:10 PM
on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:56:11 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> yeah, I literally cannot bear this kind of post. My way of dealing
> with the pain in the past has been to flame the poster, but that really
> helps nobody. It leaves me feeling so helpless.

I admit, I'm pretty ****ed off about this whole situation. The OP doesn't
have much if any control over things, but I'm still ****ed. I can't bear
to think of what that cat went through, and I'm sure that poor dog is
absolutely miserable living like that.

> But we need to remember that this is just one event of thousands
> that happen across the US every day to these animals. Support
> our local shelters, trap neuter and spay organizations, etc.

I couldn't agree more.

--
Lynne

cybercat
February 19th 07, 09:12 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:56:11 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> yeah, I literally cannot bear this kind of post. My way of dealing
>> with the pain in the past has been to flame the poster, but that really
>> helps nobody. It leaves me feeling so helpless.
>
> I admit, I'm pretty ****ed off about this whole situation. The OP doesn't
> have much if any control over things, but I'm still ****ed. I can't bear
> to think of what that cat went through, and I'm sure that poor dog is
> absolutely miserable living like that.
>
>> But we need to remember that this is just one event of thousands
>> that happen across the US every day to these animals. Support
>> our local shelters, trap neuter and spay organizations, etc.
>
> I couldn't agree more.

Feeling helpless in the face of this type of cruelty is the only thing that
could make me want to kill myself, if anything could. Literally. (And I
don't think anything really could ... much to the dismay of my err,
detractors ...)

cindys
February 19th 07, 09:19 PM
On Feb 19, 2:56 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "cindys" > wrote >
>
> > Right now, I am literally crying for this poor cat who was
> > first terrorized/abused and then died such a horrible death.
>
> yeah, I literally cannot bear this kind of post. My way of dealing
> with the pain in the past has been to flame the poster, but that really
> helps nobody. It leaves me feeling so helpless.

In this situation, I think the OP may be as much a victim as the cat.
The main thing is that he has to make sure he doesn't acquire any new
pets until he is on his own, away from this situation. And like
Bookie, I understand that may be difficult as these poor creatures may
be his only source of comfort since it sounds like he may be living in
a barely tolerable situation. But he does need to consider that it
would be extremely cruel to get another cat under the circumstances.

> But we need to remember that this is just one event of thousands
> that happen across the US every day to these animals. Support
> our local shelters, trap neuter and spay organizations, etc.

Absolutely.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cindys
February 19th 07, 09:21 PM
On Feb 19, 2:56 pm, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> On Feb 19, 6:38 pm, "bookie" > wrote:

> > > Yeah, reporting your own father would be awkward. Call Animal Control when
> > > he's not home and have the dog picked up. Your father will have to pay a
> > > hefty fine to get him back. Maybe he'll decide it's not worth it. He
> > > sounds like a ****ty pet owner and the dog would be better off with someone
> > > else, assuming he's even adoptable at this point.
>
> > > --
> > > Lynne
>
> > i agree, the father is a ****ty pet owner and shoudl not be allowed to
> > have animals at all, and i really hope that you mikey do not get
> > anymore animals of your own until you have moved out of there, for the
> > sake of the animals really.
>
> > Ithink you should report your father, sod him, he deserves it the
> > nasty git, he deserves everything he gets as a result.
>
> > bookie- Hide quoted text -

> Don't feel awkward, just do it!!
> No one seems to be thinking about your pain upon loosing your precious
> feline friend or your cats pain either, so why the hell should you
> feel any pity about doing the "right thing!?
> Go for it Mikey!
> S;o)- Hide quoted text -
----------
He may be afraid of the repercussions. If the father has no sympathy
for his animals, I can guarantee he has no sympathy for his son. I
suspect Mikey is scared to death of his father. That's why I offered
to make the phone call.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cindys
February 19th 07, 09:25 PM
On Feb 19, 11:20 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Cindy before you get involved you may want to Google that email account
> and look at all the problems this person has described in their life over
> that last couple years. If it is true which I am not saying it is not.
> You are going to be opening up one big can of worms and trouble in my book.
----------
Okay, thank you. I wasn't really intending to get involved in any big
way. I was just offering to make a phone call. But thank you. I
sometimes have a tendency to forget that on the internet, nobody knows
you're a dog (or however that line goes).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

silvercelt
February 19th 07, 09:27 PM
You could possible request a p.m on him and see if there are any
underlining courses. The changes are though he was very shocked and
there was nothing you could do. It happened to a cat that came into
my work a few weeks ago. We tried our best but..sadly he died.

Mikey
February 20th 07, 05:37 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> > No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child. take
> > a while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
> > should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
> > right.
> >

> This is the same guy who posted saying that the cat was peeing in its own
> bed. It was probably an intruder animal that was doing that. He knew the cat
> was in danger.
>
> I saw this coming. It just makes me shudder, thinking about what happens to
> these poor animals.

That cat is safe and in my house now and has been for several weeks.

bookie
February 20th 07, 06:42 AM
On 19 Feb, 20:21, "cindys" > wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2:56 pm, "sheelagh" > wrote:

> > > i agree, the father is a ****ty pet owner and shoudl not be allowed to
> > > have animals at all, and i really hope that you mikey do not get
> > > anymore animals of your own until you have moved out of there, for the
> > > sake of the animals really.
>
> > > Ithink you should report your father, sod him, he deserves it the
> > > nasty git, he deserves everything he gets as a result.
>
> > > bookie- Hide quoted text -

> > Don't feel awkward, just do it!!
> > No one seems to be thinking about your pain upon loosing your precious
> > feline friend or your cats pain either, so why the hell should you
> > feel any pity about doing the "right thing!?
> > Go for it Mikey!
> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -
>
> ----------
> He may be afraid of the repercussions. If the father has no sympathy
> for his animals, I can guarantee he has no sympathy for his son. I
> suspect Mikey is scared to death of his father. That's why I offered
> to make the phone call.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -

farir point, I can understand how that feels, I used to be inthe same
position myself when i was young, then I left and realised that I am
stronger than I first realised and that noone is allowed to make me
scared of them. leaving and getting out there kind of gave me a
feeling of power over my destiny, knowing that I was no longer
beholden to my dad for stuff and can look after myself and that world
out there is not such as scary place after all. unfortunately my
brother is in much the same position as he still lives at home with my
dad despite being 36!!!! (my brother not my dad) and he is scared to
do anything he wants at 'home' such as have friends round (well he
doesn't have any cos he is still so shy and has no confidence as my
dad has knocked it all out of him) or whatever. he is also too scared
to move out and sort himself which is the really sad thing.

one example where we differ is that last summer our old cat tegan died
(I have gone about this before, very sad, she was 17, stomach tumour,
such a sweetie, had her since a kitten) and she lived at my dad's
house. Anyway, since i knew my bro loved her and wanted another pet i
keep nagging about them giving a home to another needy cat, an older
one preferably but my dad is not so keen. Now if i was living there i
woudl probably just say "we are gettign another one and that is the
end of it!" and scream and stamp my feet and generally be absolutely
foul until i got my way and i woudl not be scared of arguing the toss
and doing a bit of door slamming too. As far as I am concerned there
is a cat out there who needs a home, we have a home without cat (and
is therefore not really a home in my book), problem solved all round.
My bro on the other hand has said several times how he woudl love to
have another cat (well he has noone to talk to as he has no real
friends, real loner you see) and that when he has a place of his own
he will definitely get one, except he will never move out and get a
place of his own as he is far too sacred of what might happen if he
did.

I just always that what can someone really do to me if they do not
agree with me? if they try to get violent then against me they are
likely to lose, also i will not stand for it and will go to the police
if they try anything, and I have nothing to lose by standing up for
what i want.

I think i managed to turn the feelings of fear that I had before into
feelings of "how dare anyone tell me what to do!" but that only
happened when i moved out and saw how other people lived and how they
were free to have what they wanted and i wanted that freedom too and I
refuse to give it up now, not for anyone (which is probably why i am
happily single).

another thing to think about is that if you stand up to bullies like
this guy's dad (and mine once) they quickly crumble and you see them
for what they really are; just really scared and insecure people
themselves who are trying to boost their own feelings of fear by
trying to bully and scare another, apparantly weaker person or animal.
As soon as you show them that you are not weak and you will not put up
with their behaviour they will stop treating you like crap as they
know that they will not be able to get away with it anymore.

I want to move into this guy's house in his place for a while, I will
happily sort his dad out, can we organise an exchange visit or
something?

the fact i am here and not able to practically help actually makes me
really angry

bookie

Matthew
February 20th 07, 06:59 AM
Be free bookie take that from some one who has discovered freedom again.

Never allow any one to take that freedom again unless it had four legs and
snuggles. ;-)

"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> happily single).
>
> another thing to think about is that if you stand up to bullies like
> this guy's dad (and mine once) they quickly crumble and you see them
> for what they really are; just really scared and insecure people
> themselves who are trying to boost their own feelings of fear by
> trying to bully and scare another, apparantly weaker person or animal.
> As soon as you show them that you are not weak and you will not put up
> with their behaviour they will stop treating you like crap as they
> know that they will not be able to get away with it anymore.
>
> I want to move into this guy's house in his place for a while, I will
> happily sort his dad out, can we organise an exchange visit or
> something?
>
> the fact i am here and not able to practically help actually makes me

cindys
February 20th 07, 12:36 PM
On Feb 19, 11:37 pm, "Mikey" > wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> > "Matthew" > wrote in message
> > > No offense Mikey How about if that person would have been a child. take
> > > a while to think on that possibility. Family or not Friend or not They
> > > should definitely know better. Own a pet is a responsibility and not a
> > > right.
>
> > This is the same guy who posted saying that the cat was peeing in its own
> > bed. It was probably an intruder animal that was doing that. He knew the cat
> > was in danger.
>
> > I saw this coming. It just makes me shudder, thinking about what happens to
> > these poor animals.
>
> That cat is safe and in my house now and has been for several weeks.- Hide quoted text -

---------------
Except for the fact that from your first post in this thread, it is
clear that the cat who was killed by the dog was the same cat, the cat
who was living outside because your father wouldn't allow it to come
inside. Which is the truth? What you said before or what you are
saying now?

The truth is clearly what you said before. You couldn't have made that
up. Your father's unvaccinated, unlicensed, vicious and probably
neglected and abused dog killed a terrified cat that was living
outside. And then your father refused to part with the money that may
have helped to save the cat. But when you posted to this group, you
pretended like the dog belonged to a neighbor because your father is
cruel and abusive and you are scared of him. And when people on this
group realized the dog's *owner* was your father and even offered to
intervene on behalf of the dog and on your behalf as well, you got
scared about the ramifications, so now you are posting again to
suggest that everything is fine, to make sure we won't intervene.

Don't worry. No one is trying to find out who you are or where you
live. I offered to intervene only if you wanted me to. I'm not trying
to locate you. Just please do not get any more pets. Your father is
cruel and irresponsible, and since it would seem that he would be the
one to pay the vet bills, he is obviously unwilling to do so. He won't
even pay for the $20 rabies vaccination for his dog. And in not doing
so, he is breaking the law. He is also harboring a dangerous animal
and endangering the welfare of a minor. It would be irresponsible for
you to have a pet when you know upfront that the animal is not going
to receive any medical care it may require. If you really do have
another cat, you need to find him another home with someone who will
take of him, someone who will let him come inside out of the cold,
keep him away from other animals who may hurt him, and who is willing
to provide any medical care he may need. And you need to remove
yourself from the situation as soon as you are able.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

bookie
February 20th 07, 03:51 PM
On 20 Feb, 11:36, "cindys" > wrote:
> On Feb 19, 11:37 pm, "Mikey" > wrote:
>

> > cybercat wrote:
>
> > > This is the same guy who posted saying that the cat was peeing in its own
> > > bed. It was probably an intruder animal that was doing that. He knew the cat
> > > was in danger.
>
> > > I saw this coming. It just makes me shudder, thinking about what happens to
> > > these poor animals.
>
> > That cat is safe and in my house now and has been for several weeks.- Hide quoted text -

> ---------------
> Except for the fact that from your first post in this thread, it is
> clear that the cat who was killed by the dog was the same cat, the cat
> who was living outside because your father wouldn't allow it to come
> inside. Which is the truth? What you said before or what you are
> saying now?
>
> The truth is clearly what you said before. You couldn't have made that
> up. Your father's unvaccinated, unlicensed, vicious and probably
> neglected and abused dog killed a terrified cat that was living
> outside. And then your father refused to part with the money that may
> have helped to save the cat. But when you posted to this group, you
> pretended like the dog belonged to a neighbor because your father is
> cruel and abusive and you are scared of him. And when people on this
> group realized the dog's *owner* was your father and even offered to
> intervene on behalf of the dog and on your behalf as well, you got
> scared about the ramifications, so now you are posting again to
> suggest that everything is fine, to make sure we won't intervene.
>
> Don't worry. No one is trying to find out who you are or where you
> live. I offered to intervene only if you wanted me to. I'm not trying
> to locate you. Just please do not get any more pets. Your father is
> cruel and irresponsible, and since it would seem that he would be the
> one to pay the vet bills, he is obviously unwilling to do so. He won't
> even pay for the $20 rabies vaccination for his dog. And in not doing
> so, he is breaking the law. He is also harboring a dangerous animal
> and endangering the welfare of a minor. It would be irresponsible for
> you to have a pet when you know upfront that the animal is not going
> to receive any medical care it may require. If you really do have
> another cat, you need to find him another home with someone who will
> take of him, someone who will let him come inside out of the cold,
> keep him away from other animals who may hurt him, and who is willing
> to provide any medical care he may need. And you need to remove
> yourself from the situation as soon as you are able.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -

if this is the same chap who has sent posts to other groups i have
tracked down he is not a minor, he is 24 years old, and he needs to
take some control of his life and GET OUT OF THERE!!!!!!!!!!
MIKEY!! GET OUT OF THERE!!!!!! why do you let this tosser of a father
destroy your life? how dare he?! who does he think he is to scare and
bully and intimidate you? take your life back and find some where else
to live PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASE!!!

noone has the right to make you feel scared and intimidated inthe way
this man is making you feel, you are obviously a caring person who
loves animals and as such you are far and away a better person than
your father and so therefore he has no right to make you scared or
unhappy in the way he is doing.

if youwant to email me and tell me what is stopping you getting the
hell out there please do, i do not know much about the welfare system,
in the states but there must be ways in which they can help you get
out of this situation.

i now have to vent my spleen at an insurance company who are stalling
on giving a courtesy car whilst mine is being repaired, I'm gonna melt
the phone lines!

bookie