PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on nother-in-law and cats

kraut
February 19th 07, 02:41 PM
My mother-in-law lives in a big farm house in the country and takes in
strays which seem to find her. At present she has about 13 cats which
she had all spayed / nuetered and feeds them good and they all all
indoor cats.

Thing is that like the animal hoarders on Animal Cops she thinks she
is doing great by them and she does love them and feed them. I do not
know if I would call her a hoarder though. She took in 3 or 4 cats
that all were pregnant and that is basicaly where she got all her
cats. She did find homes for 4 in the beginning before becoming
attached plus I took a couple in from her.

All the cats seems to have ears problems and some of them have other
health problems which she trys to care for but the problems go from
one to another. Now she even keeps a couple locked in a 4 by 6
bathroom because they are afraid of a black lab she took in.

Biggest problem is most of the cats are around 5 / 6 years old and she
is in her late seventies and in ill health and lives on a fixed income
(pension) and she will not hear of rehomeing them and gets all bent
out of shape when anyone mentions it!! She has kids of which none are
cat people other then my ex and me and we have already taken in 6
strays among us and can not have or afford more. One said they would
shoot them on her death, one would just turn them all outdoors and one
would take to the shelter (Pound). It come down to she will not let
any of them go.

I would call shelter but we have a hume society which is nothing like
on TV. They will only take in cats in good health and that they can
easily place which I understand. The other shelter is what used to be
called a county dog pound now called a shelter which basicaly is in
business to kill unwanted pets.

Any suggestions?? Remember they are her cats and we can not make her
let them go and I can not take any more in by law and landlord. I
have talked to her till blue in the face and am about to the point of
just calling pound and letting them take care of it even though most
of them would be put down which is what they will end up anyways when
she is gone.

Hemmaholic
February 20th 07, 09:55 AM
On Feb 19, 8:41 am, kraut >
wrote:
> My mother-in-law lives in a big farm house in the country and takes in
> strays which seem to find her. At present she has about 13 cats which
> she had all spayed / nuetered and feeds them good and they all all
> indoor cats.
>
> Thing is that like the animal hoarders on Animal Cops she thinks she
> is doing great by them and she does love them and feed them. I do not
> know if I would call her a hoarder though. She took in 3 or 4 cats
> that all were pregnant and that is basicaly where she got all her
> cats. She did find homes for 4 in the beginning before becoming
> attached plus I took a couple in from her.
>
> All the cats seems to have ears problems and some of them have other
> health problems which she trys to care for but the problems go from
> one to another. Now she even keeps a couple locked in a 4 by 6
> bathroom because they are afraid of a black lab she took in.
>
> Biggest problem is most of the cats are around 5 / 6 years old and she
> is in her late seventies and in ill health and lives on a fixed income
> (pension) and she will not hear of rehomeing them and gets all bent
> out of shape when anyone mentions it!! She has kids of which none are
> cat people other then my ex and me and we have already taken in 6
> strays among us and can not have or afford more. One said they would
> shoot them on her death, one would just turn them all outdoors and one
> would take to the shelter (Pound). It come down to she will not let
> any of them go.
>
> I would call shelter but we have a hume society which is nothing like
> on TV. They will only take in cats in good health and that they can
> easily place which I understand. The other shelter is what used to be
> called a county dog pound now called a shelter which basicaly is in
> business to kill unwanted pets.
>
> Any suggestions?? Remember they are her cats and we can not make her
> let them go and I can not take any more in by law and landlord. I
> have talked to her till blue in the face and am about to the point of
> just calling pound and letting them take care of it even though most
> of them would be put down which is what they will end up anyways when
> she is gone.

Get in touch with Alley Cat Allies and see if they can assist her with
health care for her charges. Sounds like there could be fleas and ear
mites causing part of the cat's health issues and they could probably
stand to be de-wormed, although that usually isn't a factor in older
cats, more in kittens and young cats.

Has she added any new cats in the last several months? Anyway she
could house the dog outside or re-home it?

Is there a barn or similar out building that could be used to house
most of the cats? This way she can keep a few indoors as companions
and cut down on the in house issues that arise when keeping that many
inside.

Is anyone helping her with feeding and cleaning up after the cats?

Do contact ACA and see if they can help find someone in her area that
can assist her with the care of these animals and possibly help find
homes for the younger cats.

Hemma

Laura
February 20th 07, 08:02 PM
Is she keeping the house clean with no odor or is there a urine smell coming
form the house? Is the house livable or is it covered in feces ect. These
are all things you have to consider when calling ACS. If you can't take in
any more from her try to find good homes in the area that can take one or
two and will let your mother in law visit once or twice to see that they are
doing well. Build her an outdoor inclosure for the cats if possible. This
way she can let them out without worrying that they can get lost and make
sure they have shelter so they can stay outside if necessary. If the dog is
causing problems he is a black lab and can very well be housed outdoors. If
they are all spayed\neutered did she pay for this herself? or did they come
to her like this? What is wrong with the cats besided the ears? Ears are
quite easy to fix if it's ear mites. If she is on a pension you should help
her with the costs of feeding them all. it is a very large expense. If her
kids treat her like that it's no wonder she has cats as companions. Also if
she is older like you have said it wouldn't be a great idea to force her to
get rid of all her cats at once it can cause problems to her health. What is
wrong with her keeping them is they are all healthy? Help her get them
healthy and help her with the costs of the cats if your so worried about
her. Ptherwise I see more problems arrising ffrom you calling ACS and having
them remove the cats...........but then if she is a true hoarder she'll just
gather more cats anyways. When was the last time she added a cat to her
cattery?

~Laura

Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com
February 21st 07, 03:52 PM
kraut wrote:
>My mother-in-law lives in a big farm house in the country and takes in
>strays which seem to find her. At present she has about 13 cats which
>she had all spayed / nuetered and feeds them good and they all all
>indoor cats.
>
>Thing is that like the animal hoarders on Animal Cops she thinks she
>is doing great by them and she does love them and feed them. I do not
>know if I would call her a hoarder though. She took in 3 or 4 cats
>that all were pregnant and that is basicaly where she got all her
>cats. She did find homes for 4 in the beginning before becoming
>attached plus I took a couple in from her.
>
>All the cats seems to have ears problems and some of them have other
>health problems which she trys to care for but the problems go from
>one to another. Now she even keeps a couple locked in a 4 by 6
>bathroom because they are afraid of a black lab she took in.
>
>Biggest problem is most of the cats are around 5 / 6 years old and she
>is in her late seventies and in ill health and lives on a fixed income
>(pension) and she will not hear of rehomeing them and gets all bent
>out of shape when anyone mentions it!! She has kids of which none are
>cat people other then my ex and me and we have already taken in 6
>strays among us and can not have or afford more. One said they would
>shoot them on her death, one would just turn them all outdoors and one
>would take to the shelter (Pound). It come down to she will not let
>any of them go.
>
>I would call shelter but we have a hume society which is nothing like
>on TV. They will only take in cats in good health and that they can
>easily place which I understand. The other shelter is what used to be
>called a county dog pound now called a shelter which basicaly is in
>business to kill unwanted pets.
>
>Any suggestions?? Remember they are her cats and we can not make her
>let them go and I can not take any more in by law and landlord. I
>have talked to her till blue in the face and am about to the point of
>just calling pound and letting them take care of it even though most
>of them would be put down which is what they will end up anyways when
>she is gone.

This happens so often to well meaning people. Recently near me the
authorities heard of a woman who took in dogs and cats and had 60 or 70....
same situation, fixed income, did her best but wasn't enough. The animals
living spaces got to be awful because she couldn't afford to do what was
needed for so many. She was arrested for cruelty to animals, fined and all
the animals were taken from her, sent to the humane society, and were adopted
out. Hopefully you can reason with her before the authorities in your area
get wind of it and come after her.