PDA

View Full Version : Airsickness


Charlie Wilkes
February 20th 07, 07:35 AM
Tweaker is a good traveler who doesn't mind where he ends up as long as
he's with me... but I usually take an air taxi to/from the island when I
go to the mainland, and it's often a bumpy ride, especially in the winter
months. Several times now Tweaker has puked and crapped in his carrier
because of airsickness.

I suppose I could look this up on Google, but it's more interesting to
post here and see what kind of responses/suggestions I might get.

Anyone with ideas about how to prevent motion sickness in a cat, please
respond.

Charlie

Rona Y.
February 20th 07, 09:44 AM
On Feb 20, 4:35 pm, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:
> Tweaker is a good traveler who doesn't mind where he ends up as long as
> he's with me... but I usually take an air taxi to/from the island when I
> go to the mainland, and it's often a bumpy ride, especially in the winter
> months. Several times now Tweaker has puked and crapped in his carrier
> because of airsickness.
>
> I suppose I could look this up on Google, but it's more interesting to
> post here and see what kind of responses/suggestions I might get.
>
> Anyone with ideas about how to prevent motion sickness in a cat, please
> respond.
>
> Charlie

How is he in a car? Maybe you could take him on more car trips,
particularly over bumpy terrain to mimic the air taxi ride.

The only thing that helped with my cat with motion sickness was more
frequent trips in the car. She used to throw up every time we went in
the car, but there was a period when she was going every week for
about a month or two. After that, she calmed down a lot. She doesn't
even mind going into her carrier as much, It used to be a big
struggle just to get her in there, but now if I put her in front of
it, she'll walk in.

Rescue Remedy, which many suggest, didn't work at all for my cat.

silvercelt
February 20th 07, 10:40 AM
Feliway spray, sed tablets, herbal tablets etc. etc.

sheelagh
February 20th 07, 05:17 PM
On 20 Feb, 10:40, "silvercelt" > wrote:
> Feliway spray, sed tablets, herbal tablets etc. etc.

> Tweaker is a good traveler who doesn't mind where he ends up as long as
> he's with me... but I usually take an air taxi to/from the island when I
> go to the mainland, and it's often a bumpy ride, especially in the winter
> months. Several times now Tweaker has puked and crapped in his carrier
> because of airsickness.

I have a question for you too.
Does Tweakers dibble excessively whilst traveling via air taxi?
The reason for asking that question is that you have eliminate whether
it is hyperactivity first. If he does dribble excessively, then it is
hyperactivity, but if he genuinely hates it & feels miserable all of
the time, then the best answer for him might be antihistamines believe
it or not.
It is a step down from tranquilizers,& a step away from terrible
travel sickness I believe...
Good luck & let us know what you think the right answer to Tweakers
problem might be.
(I did think about saying then leave himsometimes, then put myself in
both of your possitions, & abandoned the thought straight away!! I
couldn't encourage something I wouldn't do myself..)
Look forward to hearing from you,
S;o)

Charlie Wilkes
February 20th 07, 11:50 PM
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:17:30 -0800, sheelagh wrote:
>
> I have a question for you too.
> Does Tweakers dibble excessively whilst traveling via air taxi?
> The reason for asking that question is that you have eliminate whether
> it is hyperactivity first. If he does dribble excessively, then it is

By "dribble" do you mean "drool," i.e., salivate? The answer is yes.

When I went off last week, I was in the front seat next to the pilot, and
Tweaker was in his carrier on the seat behind the pilot, so I was able to
observe him closely throughout the short flight. It was gusty, with a lot
of lurching and sudden, hard drops. Within about 5 minutes, Tweaker
began to salivate and look uncomfortable, and shortly thereafter he
vomited and evacuated his bowels.

I am quite sure this is a result of physical discomfort rather than fear.

Tweaker has never gotten sick from riding in my car.

I think antihistamines will probably be my first recourse.

Thanks to you and others who responded.

Charlie

cybercat
February 21st 07, 02:30 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
...


> Anyone with ideas about how to prevent motion sickness in a cat, please
> respond.
>

Charlie, I think dramamine works for cats too. Ask your vet.

sheelagh
February 21st 07, 09:20 AM
On Feb 20, 11:50 pm, Charlie Wilkes
> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:17:30 -0800, sheelagh wrote:
>
> > I have a question for you too.
> > Does Tweakers dibble excessively whilst traveling via air taxi?
> > The reason for asking that question is that you have eliminate whether
> > it is hyperactivity first. If he does dribble excessively, then it is
>
> By "dribble" do you mean "drool," i.e., salivate? The answer is yes.
>
> When I went off last week, I was in the front seat next to the pilot, and
> Tweaker was in his carrier on the seat behind the pilot, so I was able to
> observe him closely throughout the short flight. It was gusty, with a lot
> of lurching and sudden, hard drops. Within about 5 minutes, Tweaker
> began to salivate and look uncomfortable, and shortly thereafter he
> vomited and evacuated his bowels.
>
> I am quite sure this is a result of physical discomfort rather than fear.
>
> Tweaker has never gotten sick from riding in my car.
>
> I think antihistamines will probably be my first recourse.
>
> Thanks to you and others who responded.
>
> Charlie
here is a link to an interesting site for you to look at and draw your
own conclusions as to whether it is motion sickness or hyperativity,
for yourself.
I would be interested to know what you think.
All our Best to Mr Tweakers ( brilliant name btw!!)
S;o)
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/travcat.html

jmc
February 21st 07, 12:09 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Charlie Wilkes exclaimed (20-Feb-07 5:05 PM):
> Tweaker is a good traveler who doesn't mind where he ends up as long as
> he's with me... but I usually take an air taxi to/from the island when I
> go to the mainland, and it's often a bumpy ride, especially in the winter
> months. Several times now Tweaker has puked and crapped in his carrier
> because of airsickness.
>
> I suppose I could look this up on Google, but it's more interesting to
> post here and see what kind of responses/suggestions I might get.
>
> Anyone with ideas about how to prevent motion sickness in a cat, please
> respond.
>
> Charlie

Ginger? It works for me, somewhat, but I'm not sure if it's safe for
cats or not.

jmc

Charlie Wilkes
February 22nd 07, 02:53 AM
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:39:03 +0930, jmc wrote:

> Suddenly, without warning, Charlie Wilkes exclaimed (20-Feb-07 5:05 PM):
>> Tweaker is a good traveler who doesn't mind where he ends up as long as
>> he's with me... but I usually take an air taxi to/from the island when I
>> go to the mainland, and it's often a bumpy ride, especially in the winter
>> months. Several times now Tweaker has puked and crapped in his carrier
>> because of airsickness.
>>
>> I suppose I could look this up on Google, but it's more interesting to
>> post here and see what kind of responses/suggestions I might get.
>>
>> Anyone with ideas about how to prevent motion sickness in a cat, please
>> respond.
>>
>> Charlie
>
> Ginger? It works for me, somewhat, but I'm not sure if it's safe for
> cats or not.
>
> jmc

Hmmm. I've never heard of that.

Charlie

Charlie Wilkes
February 22nd 07, 03:02 AM
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 01:20:52 -0800, sheelagh wrote:
> here is a link to an interesting site for you to look at and draw your
> own conclusions as to whether it is motion sickness or hyperativity, for
> yourself.
> I would be interested to know what you think. All our Best to Mr
> Tweakers ( brilliant name btw!!) S;o)
> http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/travcat.html

That's it... heavy drooling followed by a puke. It wasn't panic, or
hyperactivity... that is so unlike Tweaker, if you knew him, you'd
understand. Let me give you an example: the last time he was airsick, I
was flying from my island to the mainland but with a stop along the way to
pick up 2 more passengers. Tweaker did not make it to the first stop
without puking and evacuating his bowels (preceded by the drooling I
described). So, when we got to the stop (a dirt airstrip), I removed him
from the cage and allowed him to wander around in the grass for a few
moments while I cleaned up the mess in his carrier as best I could. He's
incredibly docile and low-key.

Charlie

sheelagh
February 22nd 07, 03:19 AM
On 22 Feb, 03:02, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 01:20:52 -0800, Sheelagh wrote:
> > here is a link to an interesting site for you to look at and draw your
> > own conclusions as to whether it is motion sickness or hyperactivity, for
> > yourself.
> > I would be interested to know what you think. All our Best to Mr
> > Tweakers ( brilliant name BTW!!) S;o)
> >http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/travcat.html
>
> That's it... heavy drooling followed by a puke. It wasn't panic, or
> hyperactivity... that is so unlike Tweaker, if you knew him, you'd
> understand. Let me give you an example: the last time he was airsick, I
> was flying from my island to the mainland but with a stop along the way to
> pick up 2 more passengers. Tweaker did not make it to the first stop
> without puking and evacuating his bowels (preceded by the drooling I
> described). So, when we got to the stop (a dirt airstrip), I removed him
> from the cage and allowed him to wander around in the grass for a few
> moments while I cleaned up the mess in his carrier as best I could. He's
> incredibly docile and low-key.
>
> Charlie

My cat Biffy does it too.
I forget the name of the antihistamine that the vet prescribed for
him, or how antihistamine does work.. but the point it, it does!!
I will find out what the name of the tablet is for you, so that you
can talk to your vet about it & ask if it might be appropriate for Mr
Tweakers to try too...
I know exactly what you mean, it sounds like you are discussing Biffy
on a car ride.. he hates with a passion.. but the tablets work & he
doesn't freak out when the box comes out anymore either.
Good Luck!
S;o)

February 22nd 07, 08:25 PM
Charlie Wilkes > wrote:

>> Ginger? It works for me, somewhat, but I'm not sure if it's safe for
>> cats or not.
>>
>> jmc
>
>Hmmm. I've never heard of that.

It is the most used remedy by sailors for seasickness.