PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated about yet more stinky feet

Cheryl
February 21st 07, 04:05 AM
Rhett has had a history of getting infections on his paws, though
for varying reasons. Several times the vet diagnosed an allergic
reaction (yes, another with allergies!! :( The last time she said
one of his paws looked burned, but if it was a burn, it could only
be carpet burn. He tears around the house and literally slides
across the carpet trying to grab hold with his claws when he gets
the zoomies. He was cleaned up with an antiseptic and prescribed a
spray antibiotic which he didn't tolerate well, but it healed.

Tonight once again I see him licking a rear paw (last one was a
front one) and while I didn't see anything, I took a queue from the
vet and sniffed it. Woooooeeeee it stinks, so there's another
infection setting in. What is going on here? He doesn't let me
really look it over, and at the vets office it takes a tech and me
to hold him while the vet checks. But I didn't see anything going
on from what little he let me see. I just flushed it with a wash I
bought at the vet office last time and will call them tomorrow to
see if I should bring him in. What in the world could be causing
his paws so much trouble all the time? Any ideas? Allergy? Could
an allergy only affect his paws and nothing else? What else can
cause stinky paws that end up flared up (not looking that way yet
this time, just smelly. The other back paw doesn't stink). The
clue with this cat is how much he licks at them when something is
wrong.

--
Cheryl

Annie Wxill
February 21st 07, 04:37 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> What in the world could be causing
> his paws so much trouble all the time?
> Cheryl

Sorry, I don't have an answer about the paw trouble, but I'm hoping that you
will find a cause and a solution and he will be better soon.

Annie

Cheryl
February 21st 07, 04:46 AM
On Tue 20 Feb 2007 10:37:42p, Annie Wxill wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> Sorry, I don't have an answer about the paw trouble, but I'm
> hoping that you will find a cause and a solution and he will be
> better soon.

Thanks Annie. This cat is a riot, though it's a little sad, too. When
I have to do something to him like I did tonight cleaning his paw, he
fights to get away, then he never takes his eyes off of me. If I go
out of the room, he sort of stalks me and peers around corners to see
what I'm up to. He'll lay still if I walk past him almost like he
hopes he's invisible, then follows me and lays down to watch me some
more. He's a very skittish cat, almost very distrustful. Wild
almost. His personality matches his spotted markings.

--
Cheryl

Barry
February 21st 07, 05:06 AM
On Feb 20, 10:05 pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> The other back paw doesn't stink). The
> clue with this cat is how much he licks at them when something is
> wrong.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Rhett has a history of foot infection, Cheryl has a history of
shampooing the carpet... or buying a certain brand of carpet fresh
type product.

I would go with an allergic reaction, maybe try remember what may be
in or on the carpet.

Hope it goes away.

I like the name Rhett

Cheryl
February 21st 07, 05:20 AM
On Tue 20 Feb 2007 11:06:00p, Barry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> Rhett has a history of foot infection, Cheryl has a history of
> shampooing the carpet... or buying a certain brand of carpet
> fresh type product.

Actually, neither. This past weekend was a dust mite treatment,
but other than that, I have had the carpets professionally cleaned.
And that was last year. I really need to get rid of the damned
carpet but I can't afford the laminate I want just yet. Last year I
thought it was a food allergy because when I stopped the "new"
food, he didn't get a recurrence. Since then it's come back twice
with no environment changes, other than the leaky pipe that was
fixed last weekend. I hope it's just mold, and that will be fixed
as soon as I have time to get someone to tear out the bathroom
ceiling and replace it. But just the paws? That's my question.
Shamrock has allergies to mold spores, dust mites, cat dander and
some pollens, but he breaks out on his tail, legs, and in the past
his torso. Never his paws. Litter used is fragrance-free.

> I would go with an allergic reaction, maybe try remember what
> may be in or on the carpet.
>
> Hope it goes away.
>
> I like the name Rhett

He has a sister named Scarlett. :)

--
Cheryl

Barry
February 21st 07, 05:21 AM
On Feb 20, 10:05 pm, Cheryl > wrote:
>The other back paw doesn't stink). The
> clue with this cat is how much he licks at them when something is
> wrong.

One side is affected... must have something to do with launch and
breaking patterns.
The others are currently not infected cause historically he's done
licked them tough.
Scar tissue is stronger than non scar tissue.

Is it possible there are places he frequents that you don't or can't
habitually clean? An indoor path. Because if I wear my work boots 3
days in a row without rotating to another work boot, they start to
stink.

Out of curiosity, what do you feed him?
I'm curios about patterns, like a change in his food.

No matter what it is, there is a trigger.

Cheryl
February 21st 07, 05:29 AM
On Tue 20 Feb 2007 11:21:16p, Barry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> Is it possible there are places he frequents that you don't or
> can't habitually clean? An indoor path. Because if I wear my
> work boots 3 days in a row without rotating to another work
> boot, they start to stink.

I don't think so. I'm not the best housecleaner, but the places
I'm thinking of are those that aren't habitually cleaned unless
you're a clean freak. They get done a couple of times a year, or
less, but I'm talking about things like dusting off nick-nacks or
high shelves that the cats don't get up to. With Shamrock I already
beat myself up that I don't clean those things more often. I
already know that he has allergies to them. Did you ever see his
pic after his visit to the dermatologist? He had a serious grid on
his belly.

> Out of curiosity, what do you feed him?

He has eaten Science Diet sensitive stomach dry food for most of
his two and a half years because it was the only thing that cured a
kittenhood diarrhea problem. He thrived on it. He sometimes eats
Bonnie's California Natural.

> I'm curios about patterns, like a change in his food.

Lately I have been trying to get him to eat canned food more. He
will nibble at some Fancy Feast, but maybe only a tablespoon before
he runs to the kibble.

> No matter what it is, there is a trigger.

I'm sure you're right. I can't find it. Don't know how to find
it.

--
Cheryl

cybercat
February 21st 07, 06:20 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote>

>But just the paws? That's my question.
> Shamrock has allergies to mold spores, dust mites, cat dander and
> some pollens, but he breaks out on his tail, legs, and in the past
> his torso. Never his paws. Litter used is fragrance-free.

Isn't Rhett a Bengal mix? Does he play in his water? It almost
sounds fungal.

mlbriggs
February 21st 07, 06:52 AM
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:05:57 +0000, Cheryl wrote:

> Rhett has had a history of getting infections on his paws, though
> for varying reasons. Several times the vet diagnosed an allergic
> reaction (yes, another with allergies!! :( The last time she said
> one of his paws looked burned, but if it was a burn, it could only
> be carpet burn. He tears around the house and literally slides
> across the carpet trying to grab hold with his claws when he gets
> the zoomies. He was cleaned up with an antiseptic and prescribed a
> spray antibiotic which he didn't tolerate well, but it healed.
>
> Tonight once again I see him licking a rear paw (last one was a
> front one) and while I didn't see anything, I took a queue from the
> vet and sniffed it. Woooooeeeee it stinks, so there's another
> infection setting in. What is going on here? He doesn't let me
> really look it over, and at the vets office it takes a tech and me
> to hold him while the vet checks. But I didn't see anything going
> on from what little he let me see. I just flushed it with a wash I
> bought at the vet office last time and will call them tomorrow to
> see if I should bring him in. What in the world could be causing
> his paws so much trouble all the time? Any ideas? Allergy? Could
> an allergy only affect his paws and nothing else? What else can
> cause stinky paws that end up flared up (not looking that way yet
> this time, just smelly. The other back paw doesn't stink). The
> clue with this cat is how much he licks at them when something is
> wrong.

Perhaps he stepped in something (in the litter box?). MLB

Rhonda
February 21st 07, 06:58 AM
Could he have developed an allergy to the litter? Any chemicals in the
litter?

Rhonda

Cheryl wrote:
> Rhett has had a history of getting infections on his paws, though
> for varying reasons. Several times the vet diagnosed an allergic
> reaction (yes, another with allergies!! :( The last time she said
> one of his paws looked burned, but if it was a burn, it could only
> be carpet burn. He tears around the house and literally slides
> across the carpet trying to grab hold with his claws when he gets
> the zoomies. He was cleaned up with an antiseptic and prescribed a
> spray antibiotic which he didn't tolerate well, but it healed.
>
> Tonight once again I see him licking a rear paw (last one was a
> front one) and while I didn't see anything, I took a queue from the
> vet and sniffed it. Woooooeeeee it stinks, so there's another
> infection setting in. What is going on here? He doesn't let me
> really look it over, and at the vets office it takes a tech and me
> to hold him while the vet checks. But I didn't see anything going
> on from what little he let me see. I just flushed it with a wash I
> bought at the vet office last time and will call them tomorrow to
> see if I should bring him in. What in the world could be causing
> his paws so much trouble all the time? Any ideas? Allergy? Could
> an allergy only affect his paws and nothing else? What else can
> cause stinky paws that end up flared up (not looking that way yet
> this time, just smelly. The other back paw doesn't stink). The
> clue with this cat is how much he licks at them when something is
> wrong.

Barry
February 21st 07, 11:36 AM
On Feb 20, 11:29 pm, Cheryl > wrote:

> I'm sure you're right. I can't find it. Don't know how to find
> it.

Does your kitties "environment" come with a "restore" feature like
windows xp?
You could just restore to a date when his foot wasn't stinking...

haha yes, but something to that effect anyway

(:D)
`

Yeah, he's just a little sensitive to his environment, or he can be
made sensitive depending on his food?

anything stressing him out? stress can be an acute trigger for lots of
things.

Now I'm thinking it's a clogged scent gland in his paw.

Barry

Buddy's Mom
February 21st 07, 03:10 PM
It is definitely fungal. My cat had this a year ago. They keep
licking it and it stays wet and becomes a fungus infection. The vet
told me to use a diluted clorox solution a couple times a day for
about a week and it went away. My cat races around also and could
easily get rug burns that turn into fungus infections because of the
licking.

On Feb 21, 12:20�am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote>
>
> >But just the paws? *That's my question.
> > Shamrock has allergies to mold spores, dust mites, cat dander and
> > some pollens, but he breaks out on his tail, legs, and in the past
> > his torso. *Never his paws. Litter used is fragrance-free.
>
> Isn't Rhett a Bengal mix? Does he play in his water? It almost
> sounds fungal.

Barry
February 21st 07, 03:13 PM
On Feb 21, 9:10 am, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
> It is definitely fungal. My cat had this a year ago. They keep
> licking it and it stays wet and becomes a fungus infection. The vet
> told me to use a diluted clorox solution a couple times a day for
> about a week and it went away. My cat races around also and could
> easily get rug burns that turn into fungus infections because of the
> licking.

so why is he licking his pad? he's digging into the enclave... why?

Buddy's Mom
February 21st 07, 03:50 PM
He first its probably get a rug burn from playing and then keeps
licking it. The wetness creates a fungal infection, which is why it
smells. And they do smell awful.

On Feb 21, 9:13�am, "Barry" > wrote:
> On Feb 21, 9:10 am, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>
> > It is definitely fungal. *My cat had this a year ago. *They keep
> > licking it and it stays wet and becomes a fungus infection. *The vet
> > told me to use a diluted clorox solution a couple times a day for
> > about a week and it went away. *My cat races around also and could
> > easily get rug burns that turn into fungus infections because of the
> > licking.
>
> so why is he licking his pad? he's digging into the enclave... why?

Sherry
February 21st 07, 04:15 PM
On Feb 20, 11:58?pm, Rhonda > wrote:
> Could he have developed an allergy to the litter? Any chemicals in the
> litter?
>
> Rhonda

That was the first thing I thought of too. Or if the carpet had been
cleaned recently, or a different chemical used on the kitchen floor.
I know the folks at the shelter have been warned by the vets about
letting the floor dry well and air before letting the cats back on it
(but they mop with a bleach solution).
Cheryl, I have just never heard of this. I've heard of nail-bed
infections, but not anything affecting the paw pad. Maybe it's a weird
fungus? You get more than your share of feline medical mysteries!
Hope you get it sorted out soon. Does he lick it and mess with it a
lot?

Sherry

cybercat
February 21st 07, 06:22 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>It is definitely fungal. My cat had this a year ago. They keep
>licking it and it stays wet and becomes a fungus infection. The vet
>told me to use a diluted clorox solution a couple times a day for
>about a week and it went away. My cat races around also and could
>easily get rug burns that turn into fungus infections because of the
>licking.

This makes sense to me. It's the stinkiness that gives it away.

On Feb 21, 12:20?am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote>
>
> >But just the paws? That's my question.
> > Shamrock has allergies to mold spores, dust mites, cat dander and
> > some pollens, but he breaks out on his tail, legs, and in the past
> > his torso. Never his paws. Litter used is fragrance-free.
>
> Isn't Rhett a Bengal mix? Does he play in his water? It almost
> sounds fungal.

cybercat
February 21st 07, 06:23 PM
"Barry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 21, 9:10 am, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>> It is definitely fungal. My cat had this a year ago. They keep
>> licking it and it stays wet and becomes a fungus infection. The vet
>> told me to use a diluted clorox solution a couple times a day for
>> about a week and it went away. My cat races around also and could
>> easily get rug burns that turn into fungus infections because of the
>> licking.
>
> so why is he licking his pad? he's digging into the enclave... why?

Because it is irritated and it hurts, from a rug burn OR from an
allergic reaction. :

cybercat
February 21st 07, 06:26 PM
"Sherry" > wrote>

> Maybe it's a weird
> fungus? You get more than your share of feline medical mysteries!
> Hope you get it sorted out soon. Does he lick it and mess with it a
> lot?

It has to be. I bet if the vet gives her an anti-fungal cream it will clear
up.
But that treatment is problematic with cats, because anything you apply
has to be safe for them to ingest.

Annie Wxill
February 21st 07, 06:29 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Tue 20 Feb 2007 11:21:16p, Barry wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>> No matter what it is, there is a trigger.
>
> I'm sure you're right. I can't find it. Don't know how to find
> it.
> Cheryl

Could he have picked up something, maybe a splinter or tiny speck of glass
in his paw at some time?

Annie

Lynne
February 21st 07, 07:32 PM
on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:10:54 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> The vet
> told me to use a diluted clorox solution a couple times a day for
> about a week and it went away.

Cheryl, get specific instructions from your vet if you opt to try this.
Bleach could harm your kitty, so I'm sure there must be a safe way of doing
this.

--
Lynne

Buddy's Mom
February 21st 07, 09:35 PM
Yes, do ask the vet how to mix the clorox - I don't remember. It was
a very mild solution that I just dipped a cloth into and then cleaned
his foot with the wet cloth. His pad was torn way down in the grove.
You couldn't see it unless you really got down into the foot. I think
he tore the pad running around on the carpet. He hasn't done it again
- thankfully. That was a year ago.

On Feb 21, 1:32�pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:10:54 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>
> > The vet
> > told me to use a diluted clorox solution a couple times a day for
> > about a week and it went away.
>
> Cheryl, get specific instructions from your vet if you opt to try this. *
> Bleach could harm your kitty, so I'm sure there must be a safe way of doing
> this.
>
> --
> Lynne

Cheryl
February 22nd 07, 02:40 AM
On Wed 21 Feb 2007 12:20:50a, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

> Isn't Rhett a Bengal mix? Does he play in his water? It almost
> sounds fungal.

After reading all of the replies, I have to admit I never thought of
it being fungal, but it does seem like it. Either that or an allergy
which was my thought. But it really could be either. I'm going to ask
the vet to see if she can test for something fungal. The washing
last night seems to have helped, and no to ML, it wasn't something in
the litter box he stepped in. It's a very clear sick smell, and not
poop.

Funny you ask about water -- Rhett isn't my water kitty; Scarlett is.
She practically swims in every water dish, and licks the water off of
her paws. She doesn't like sticking her face in a water bowl. But
Rhett will play in the kitchen sink if I have pans soaking.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
February 22nd 07, 02:58 AM
On Wed 21 Feb 2007 12:29:34p, Annie Wxill wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> Could he have picked up something, maybe a splinter or tiny
> speck of glass in his paw at some time?

That was my thought when I took him to the vet a few weeks ago!
Because it wasn't the same as "usual", and I had shattered a Corell
bowl in the kitchen a month earlier. He was actually limping the
last time, so the vet really dug in his paw but she said the wound
wasn't a puncture, that it was "sheared" like a burn. And between
the pads was all irritated, probably from licking. So carpet burn
is the only kind of burn it could have been. That's all healed now.
And every other time I've brought him in for a problem with a paw,
she examines it so closely that I feel bad for poor Rhett. She's
very thorough and I think she'd find something embedded. For the
curious, he's been treated for the following in his short 2-1/2
years (he's a VERY rambunctious cat):

o Normal kitten URI symptoms up until 4 months including eye
ointments (his litter mate even longer)
o Paw irritation symptoms 3 times not including the stink from
yesterday, and not including the front paw "burn"
o An eye injury that was caused from playing too rough with
Shamrock (Shamrock also had an eye injury from Rhett at one time)
o An irritation in the groin area, and that was definitely food
related. I had some Pro Plan dry food that was new when that
started, and after that, discontinued and it never recurred.

I used to think having young cats would be easier than older cats
when they get illnesses. Having 4 cats all under 5 years old has
changed my mind. They play too rough.

--
Cheryl

cybercat
February 22nd 07, 03:00 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Wed 21 Feb 2007 12:20:50a, cybercat wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:
>
>> Isn't Rhett a Bengal mix? Does he play in his water? It almost
>> sounds fungal.
>
> After reading all of the replies, I have to admit I never thought of
> it being fungal, but it does seem like it. Either that or an allergy
> which was my thought. But it really could be either. I'm going to ask
> the vet to see if she can test for something fungal. The washing
> last night seems to have helped, and no to ML, it wasn't something in
> the litter box he stepped in. It's a very clear sick smell, and not
> poop.

Whatever it is, I hope it gets cleared up. Poor boy.

I will be interested in seeing how vets treat fungal things for cats,
so please let us know.

Cheryl
February 22nd 07, 03:02 AM
On Wed 21 Feb 2007 03:35:19p, Buddy's Mom wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> On Feb 21, 1:32�pm, Lynne > wrote:
>> on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:10:54 GMT, "Buddy's Mom"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > The vet
>> > told me to use a diluted clorox solution a couple times a day
>> > for about a week and it went away.
>>
>> Cheryl, get specific instructions from your vet if you opt to
>> try this.
> *
>> Bleach could harm your kitty, so I'm sure there must be a safe
>> way of doi
> ng
>> this.
>>

> Yes, do ask the vet how to mix the clorox - I don't remember.
> It was a very mild solution that I just dipped a cloth into and
> then cleaned his foot with the wet cloth. His pad was torn way
> down in the grove. You couldn't see it unless you really got
> down into the foot. I think he tore the pad running around on
> the carpet. He hasn't done it again - thankfully. That was a
> year ago.

I will. Thank you both. For right now the flush from the vets
office from the last time is working. It's ChlorhexiDerm.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
February 22nd 07, 03:03 AM
On Wed 21 Feb 2007 12:58:45a, Rhonda wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

> Could he have developed an allergy to the litter? Any chemicals
> in the litter?

Since allergies can be developed at any age, it's possible. I use Arm
& Hammer unscented. What I've always used.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
February 22nd 07, 03:05 AM
On Wed 21 Feb 2007 10:15:14a, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> That was the first thing I thought of too. Or if the carpet had
> been cleaned recently, or a different chemical used on the
> kitchen floor. I know the folks at the shelter have been warned
> by the vets about letting the floor dry well and air before
> letting the cats back on it (but they mop with a bleach
> solution).

I use Dawn dishwashing detergent on the floors.

Cheryl, I have just never heard of this. I've heard
> of nail-bed infections, but not anything affecting the paw pad.
> Maybe it's a weird fungus? You get more than your share of
> feline medical mysteries! Hope you get it sorted out soon. Does
> he lick it and mess with it a lot?

Not as a general rule. ONly when something's wrong, which is what
clues me in to see why he's licking so much. It's frustrating
Sherry!

--
Cheryl

plunk your magic twanger, froggy
February 22nd 07, 06:10 AM
On Feb 20, 11:21 pm, "Barry" > wrote:
> Is it possible there are places he frequents that you don't or can't
> habitually clean? An indoor path. Because if I wear my work boots 3
> days in a row without rotating to another work boot, they start to
> stink.

LOFL
Why would YOU be wearing *work* boots, welfare boy?

22brix
February 22nd 07, 08:19 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Wed 21 Feb 2007 10:15:14a, Sherry wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
>> That was the first thing I thought of too. Or if the carpet had
>> been cleaned recently, or a different chemical used on the
>> kitchen floor. I know the folks at the shelter have been warned
>> by the vets about letting the floor dry well and air before
>> letting the cats back on it (but they mop with a bleach
>> solution).
>
> I use Dawn dishwashing detergent on the floors.
>
> Cheryl, I have just never heard of this. I've heard
>> of nail-bed infections, but not anything affecting the paw pad.
>> Maybe it's a weird fungus? You get more than your share of
>> feline medical mysteries! Hope you get it sorted out soon. Does
>> he lick it and mess with it a lot?
>
> Not as a general rule. ONly when something's wrong, which is what
> clues me in to see why he's licking so much. It's frustrating
> Sherry!
>
> --
> Cheryl

Cheryl,

It sounds like a yeast infection like Candida albicans--yeast infections can
be quite smelly. They also itch and hurt and are irritating as well (and
they are a type of fungus). All the licking would make it worse, providing
a damp environment.

Good luck with Rhett!

Bonnie

-L.
February 22nd 07, 10:38 AM
Cheryl wrote:
> Rhett has had a history of getting infections on his paws, though
> for varying reasons. Several times the vet diagnosed an allergic
> reaction (yes, another with allergies!! :( The last time she said
> one of his paws looked burned, but if it was a burn, it could only
> be carpet burn. He tears around the house and literally slides
> across the carpet trying to grab hold with his claws when he gets
> the zoomies. He was cleaned up with an antiseptic and prescribed a
> spray antibiotic which he didn't tolerate well, but it healed.

<snip>

I hate to say it but we had a cat that came in to the vet like this,
and it ended up being cancer. We did everything to cure infection,
cultured it - everything. Finally did a biopsy and it was some funky
sort of cancer. The cat's paws eventually progressed into lesions,
crumbling away in pieces. She eventiually had to be euthanized. One
of the weirdest things I have ever seen.

Other than that, I can't think what it would be unless it is recurrent
fungal infection, which is also a possibility. Did they culture it?

-L.

Cheryl
February 23rd 07, 04:10 AM
On Thu 22 Feb 2007 04:38:36a, -L. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> I hate to say it but we had a cat that came in to the vet like
> this, and it ended up being cancer. We did everything to cure
> infection, cultured it - everything. Finally did a biopsy and
> it was some funky sort of cancer. The cat's paws eventually
> progressed into lesions, crumbling away in pieces. She
> eventiually had to be euthanized. One of the weirdest things I
> have ever seen.

Sounds horrible! :( Well, I hope that is rare and isn't likely in
my Rhett's case. I can't imagine having to make that decision when
paws are crumbling. :(

> Other than that, I can't think what it would be unless it is
> recurrent fungal infection, which is also a possibility. Did
> they culture it?

No, not yet. It's been discussed for the next time he has to come
in. Question, and this might eliminate the possibility of a fungal
infection. Would it respond to a steroid shot like an allergy does?
Because his does. Or maybe it's just the itch that responds.

WB by the way! I'm thinking about what you wrote before you left
before, about how hard it is to read here sometimes. Idiots doing
idiotic things to animals that are helpless. Heartbreaking.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
February 23rd 07, 04:15 AM
On Wed 21 Feb 2007 09:00:47p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

> I will be interested in seeing how vets treat fungal things for
> cats, so please let us know.

Well, back before Shamrock was diagnosed with allergies, our former
vets office actually prescribed an antifungal, miconazole. And it
wasn't even diagnosed as a fungal infection! It really dried up the
skin, but since fungus wasn't the cause, it did nothing for him other
than make his skin flake. We fired that vet.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
February 23rd 07, 04:19 AM
On Thu 22 Feb 2007 02:19:23a, 22brix wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> It sounds like a yeast infection like Candida albicans--yeast
> infections can be quite smelly. They also itch and hurt and are
> irritating as well (and they are a type of fungus). All the
> licking would make it worse, providing a damp environment.
>
> Good luck with Rhett!

Thanks, Bonnie. I've thought about candida too after all the thought
of fungus. I have a lot more to ask the vet about when I take him in.

--
Cheryl

cybercat
February 23rd 07, 05:36 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Wed 21 Feb 2007 09:00:47p, cybercat wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:
>
>> I will be interested in seeing how vets treat fungal things for
>> cats, so please let us know.
>
> Well, back before Shamrock was diagnosed with allergies, our former
> vets office actually prescribed an antifungal, miconazole. And it
> wasn't even diagnosed as a fungal infection! It really dried up the
> skin, but since fungus wasn't the cause, it did nothing for him other
> than make his skin flake. We fired that vet.

Hmm. Was it a topical medicine?

-L.
February 23rd 07, 08:15 AM
Cheryl wrote:

> Sounds horrible! :( Well, I hope that is rare

It is, apparently.

>and isn't likely in
> my Rhett's case. I can't imagine having to make that decision when
> paws are crumbling. :(
>
> > Other than that, I can't think what it would be unless it is
> > recurrent fungal infection, which is also a possibility. Did
> > they culture it?
>
> No, not yet. It's been discussed for the next time he has to come
> in. Question, and this might eliminate the possibility of a fungal
> infection. Would it respond to a steroid shot like an allergy does?

It may, if the itch is one of the main symptoms.

> Because his does. Or maybe it's just the itch that responds.
>
> WB by the way! I'm thinking about what you wrote before you left
> before, about how hard it is to read here sometimes. Idiots doing
> idiotic things to animals that are helpless. Heartbreaking.

Thanks. I'm not really back. Just saw your post and decided to
respond. I seriously can't stomach Usenet much lately. Guess I'm
just tired of the idiots.

-L.

Barry
February 23rd 07, 12:53 PM
On Feb 23, 2:15 am, "-L." > wrote:

> Thanks. I'm not really back. Just saw your post and decided to
> respond. I seriously can't stomach Usenet much lately. Guess I'm
> just tired of the idiots.
>
> -L.

Hows that "cat head in a jar" project coming along for you?
Do you still feed it 3 times a day with a blow straw?

Let us know

Hugs and prayers

Barry