PDA

View Full Version : Base of tail?

Robotech_Master
February 21st 07, 07:00 AM
I've noticed some cats (such as one that belonged to my grandmother)
seem to develop a skin condition on their back, just at the base of
their tail.

My own cat seems to lick that spot more than anywhere else on her
body, to the point of dampness--and if I rub her there, she
reflexively starts licking her lip, or else my hand or face or
anything else that's near. (She seems to enjoy it, though.)

Why would that be?

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

cybercat
February 21st 07, 07:08 AM
"Robotech_Master" > wrote in message
g...
> I've noticed some cats (such as one that belonged to my grandmother)
> seem to develop a skin condition on their back, just at the base of
> their tail.
>
> My own cat seems to lick that spot more than anywhere else on her
> body, to the point of dampness--and if I rub her there, she
> reflexively starts licking her lip, or else my hand or face or
> anything else that's near. (She seems to enjoy it, though.)
>
> Why would that be?

It's called feline hyperesthesia. Our tuxedo cat has it.
Our vet said not to pet her there, it can get uncomfortable.
It's very sensitive, and stimulating that part amounts to
tickling. Sort of.

That said, it is really hard not to mess with our cat
by rubbing her right above the tail because she is
hilarious when we do. She points her little nose to
the sky and wags her head and says "Mow Mow
Mow." It's Stevie Wonder-like. :)

-L.
February 22nd 07, 10:41 AM
Robotech_Master wrote:
> I've noticed some cats (such as one that belonged to my grandmother)
> seem to develop a skin condition on their back, just at the base of
> their tail.

Stud tail. Google it. Males and females both get it.

-L.

Sherry
February 22nd 07, 03:45 PM
On Feb 22, 3:41´┐Żam, "-L." > wrote:
> Robotech_Master wrote:
> > I've noticed some cats (such as one that belonged to my grandmother)
> > seem to develop a skin condition on their back, just at the base of
> > their tail.
>
> Stud tail. *Google it. *Males and females both get it.
>
> -L.

Oh yeah. Orion had stud tail when he was about 8 months old. Or at
least that's what the vet said it was. The good news is, it didn't
recur and he's 10 now.

Sherry