PDA

View Full Version : baby on the way - will kitties be okay

nay
February 21st 07, 02:13 PM
Hi everyone. I have 5 beautiful babies at home and I am 6 months
preggy. will my babies be upset if another little person comes to
stay? I love my babies, they have been with me forever. I am not
even use to the thought of a little person coming to stay.....how do i
prepare them?

Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com
February 21st 07, 02:38 PM
nay wrote:
>Hi everyone. I have 5 beautiful babies at home and I am 6 months
>preggy. will my babies be upset if another little person comes to
>stay? I love my babies, they have been with me forever. I am not
>even use to the thought of a little person coming to stay.....how do i
>prepare them?

Not sure how you prepare fuballs for a human baby. When I had my kitties 30-
40 years ago I was told I shouldn't get pregnant because they'd kill the baby.
Of course like all old wives tales it was wrong. The only thing I did have
to watch was the cats liked sleeping in the bassinett because it and the baby
was warm and they loved the smell of the milk. I just made sure to put a net
over the bassinett so the kitties didn't curl up on my baby's face and make
it so he couldn't breath. I also made the nursury off limits when I wasn't
around.

Lynne
February 21st 07, 02:56 PM
on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:38:47 GMT, "Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I also made the nursury off limits when I wasn't
> around.

This is the key. More specifically, NEVER leave young children
unsupervised around any animals.

I already had 2 cats when I had my first baby. We never had a problem, and
somewhere around here I have a pic of a toddler laying on a very happy
kitty (but no scanner, oh well). I taught my son at a very early age how
to play with my cats safely (chasing flashlights was their favorite game),
and of course kept kitty claws trimmed since babies have such tender skin.
My cats loved my babies (so did my dog). Just don't neglect your kitties
after the new baby arrives and they will be fine.

The only real concern you need to be aware of is the risk of contracting
toxoplasmosis while you are pregnant, and passing it along to your baby.
You should NOT be cleaning litter boxes, though at this point in your
pregnancy (3rd trimester) the risk is not as great.

Congratulations!

--
Lynne

MoMo via CatKB.com
February 21st 07, 03:41 PM
They also make netting that covers the crib like a dome to keep the cats out.
Allows you to not worry when the baby is sleeping in the crib and you are not
in the room.

nay wrote:
>Hi everyone. I have 5 beautiful babies at home and I am 6 months
>preggy. will my babies be upset if another little person comes to
>stay? I love my babies, they have been with me forever. I am not
>even use to the thought of a little person coming to stay.....how do i
>prepare them?

Lynne
February 21st 07, 03:57 PM
on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:41:03 GMT, "MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> They also make netting that covers the crib like a dome to keep the
> cats out. Allows you to not worry when the baby is sleeping in the
> crib and you are not in the room.

I am a firm believer that shutting the door, keeping animals OUT, and using
a baby monitor is the only safe thing to do.

--
Lynne