PDA

View Full Version : Odd Spay Question (please help)

Cancyrus via CatKB.com
February 22nd 07, 07:17 PM
I recently had my two year old cat (Tohru) spayed. I realize waiting
this long was a mistake, so please don't bother pointing that out to me. I
didn't have the money to spend. So instead I kept her and my tomcat Kyo (a
rescue) apart while I was away, and monitored them closly while I was at home.
As I said before, I realize this was a mistake... It only took two litters to
convince me. So, after spending way more on kitten food and cat-box-crystals
than I ever would have at even the most expensive Vets office I finally
forked over the cash and had her spayed at a Humane Society clinic. I've
read a little about low cost spaying and understand she may have only had her
ovaries removed and not her uterus. The Vet that checked her out before hand
(she still needed a shot) said she might already be pregnant again. Although
I didn't ask what symptom he was reffering to, I assumed it was the swollen
mammaries from the previous litter. Anyway, I continued to keep them
seperate for a few weeks until she looked as though she had fully recovered.
Then I figured, "Hey, no more worries." So they play alone all day. And I
don't interfere if go off to "be alone."
Okay, so here's the dilema: Her belly has begun to tighten again. She
isn't getting bigger or anything. But I can feel the same "tauntness" I felt
when she was pregnant starting again. I guess my questions are: Can a cat
with a uterus but no ovaries give birth if there was already an egg in the
uterus at the time of conception? And, if a cat already in the early stages
of pregnancy has its ovaries removed but its uterus remains intact, can the
offspring be carried to term? My cat(s) are precious to me and while I could
deal with another litter of kittens (if I had to, I've already done it twice)
but I am not ready to lose her as a result of some rare surgery complication.
One more thing: while trying to answer these questions through
reasearch I came across a post from a man who stated he was a vet. In his
post he admitted to being ideologically opposed to the idea of spaying /
neutering for quite a few health risk reasons. The statement that really
caught my attention was that "cats have a gene that allows them to regrow
their sexual organs." Any thoughts on this?

-D

Lynne
February 22nd 07, 07:32 PM
on Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:17:05 GMT, "Cancyrus via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

<snip>

Take your cat to the vet immediately and find out what is going on She's
probably either got an infection or she's pregnant. If she's pregnant, get
her spay done correctly and NOW--have her uterus removed. You've already
brought enough kittens into the world.

When this is all taken care of, smack yourself several times, hard.

--
Lynne, holding her tongue

cindys
February 22nd 07, 07:45 PM
On Feb 22, 1:17 pm, "Cancyrus via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Okay, so here's the dilema: Her belly has begun to tighten again. She
> isn't getting bigger or anything. But I can feel the same "tauntness" I felt
> when she was pregnant starting again. I guess my questions are: Can a cat
> with a uterus but no ovaries give birth if there was already an egg in the
> uterus at the time of conception? And, if a cat already in the early stages
> of pregnancy has its ovaries removed but its uterus remains intact, can the
> offspring be carried to term? My cat(s) are precious to me and while I could
> deal with another litter of kittens (if I had to, I've already done it twice)
> but I am not ready to lose her as a result of some rare surgery complication.

Please take her to the vet NOW. (And please let us know what the vet
says).

> One more thing: while trying to answer these questions through
> reasearch I came across a post from a man who stated he was a vet. In his
> post he admitted to being ideologically opposed to the idea of spaying /
> neutering for quite a few health risk reasons. The statement that really
> caught my attention was that "cats have a gene that allows them to regrow
> their sexual organs." Any thoughts on this?

Yes. It's a lie and the guy's not a vet. No legitimate vet is opposed
to spaying and neutering. And cats can't regrow sexual organs. Mammals
are too high on the evolutionary chain to regrow complex organs. Maybe
a paramecium could, if it had any.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Rene S.
February 22nd 07, 08:10 PM
> > One more thing: while trying to answer these questions through
> > reasearch I came across a post from a man who stated he was a vet. In his
> > post he admitted to being ideologically opposed to the idea of spaying /
> > neutering for quite a few health risk reasons. The statement that really
> > caught my attention was that "cats have a gene that allows them to regrow
> > their sexual organs." Any thoughts on this?
>
> Yes. It's a lie and the guy's not a vet. No legitimate vet is opposed
> to spaying and neutering. And cats can't regrow sexual organs. Mammals
> are too high on the evolutionary chain to regrow complex organs. Maybe
> a paramecium could, if it had any.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

I don't know who this "vet" was, but NOT spaying/neutering can cause a
lot more health risks than spaying (cancers, pyometra, etc.)

Please, take her to another vet and have her looked at.

Cancyrus via CatKB.com
February 22nd 07, 08:57 PM
> You've already
>brought enough kittens into the world.
>
>When this is all taken care of, smack yourself several times, hard.

Your "understanding" is appreciated.

Lynne
February 22nd 07, 09:10 PM
on Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:57:41 GMT, "Cancyrus via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Your "understanding" is appreciated.

I'll never understand idiocy. However I also do not dwell on the past, so
I hope you will do the right thing from here on out. Get the cat spayed
(abort the kittens).

--
Lynne

Cancyrus via CatKB.com
February 23rd 07, 01:38 AM
It seems I made another mistake. I asked for information and instead I
got instructions and insults. "Take her to the Vet NOW"... Gee, I never
thought of that. C'mon lady, even if you thought I was the dumbest guy in
the world, do you really think I hadn't already thought of that.
For those of you oblivious to the outside world, not everyone has the
money necissary to treat every "unknown" ailment. I don't even take myself
to the doctor unless I can't stand up or I cough up flem of the rainbow
variety. I don't have the money to go without insurance. Does that make me
stupid? Does it make me less of a person? I'll let you decide because
apparently you already have.
Regardless of the risk, I simply do not have more money to spend than is
absolutely necissary. If you think this means I am a horrible pet owner,
fine. I couldn't care less what you think of me. Actually, I hope it makes
you feel good to sit on high, passing judgement on "lesser" pet owners like
me. At least then there will be someone who benifited from this thread.
Because it certainly wasn't me.
I apologize to the rest of you who read this and take offense. I
realize the majority of people on this site are here to share information.
That is why I joined. I hoped someone might be able to say "Yes, its still
possible for her to get pregnant like that" or "No, I that isn't possible."
From there I could decide what action to take on my own. If I have to raise
another litter, so be it. If she has an infection, I would take her in. But
as long as it's a mystery, I'm still unable to decide.
So "go to town," flame me all you want. Have a flippin' field day. I
won't be back to worry about it. I've got my own probalems.

Cancyrus via CatKB.com
February 23rd 07, 01:43 AM
And before I go, allow me to clarify: When I say raise them, I mean RAISE
them. Jet, Faye, Spike, Ed, Kohaku, Sen, and Chihiro all have homes of
theier own now. And while it put me through a financial wringer, I am
happier knowing they are alive and loved.

Thanks for your Time and Space
-D

Lynne
February 23rd 07, 02:18 AM
on Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:38:38 GMT, "Cancyrus via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I hoped someone might be able to say "Yes, its still
> possible for her to get pregnant like that" or "No, I that isn't
> possible." From there I could decide what action to take on my own.
> If I have to raise another litter, so be it. If she has an infection,
> I would take her in. But as long as it's a mystery, I'm still unable
> to decide.

So which part of (and I quote) "She's probably either got an infection or
she's pregnant" wasn't clear?

If she was pregnant when she had her ovaries removed, there is a very good
chance those kittens will be malformed from the exposure to anesthesia
(and/or pain medication). If she's not pregnant and has an infection, SHE
COULD DIE. So get off your whiney ass and take her to the vet.

Idiot.

--
Lynne, channeling cybercat? hehe

cindys
February 23rd 07, 02:21 AM
On Feb 22, 7:38 pm, "Cancyrus via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> It seems I made another mistake. I asked for information and instead I
> got instructions and insults. "Take her to the Vet NOW"... Gee, I never
> thought of that.

I didn't attack you, and I didn't treat you rudely. What I actually
wrote was: "Please take her to the vet NOW (and please let us know
what the vet says). This is what needs to be done. And if you already
thought of that, then you should have done it. If you are asking us
what to do, we need to assume you hadn't thought of it.

Part of being a responsible pet owner is providing medical care for
your animals. If you are unable to do that or have been irresponsible
in the past it is not the fault of the readers of this forum.
Apparently, you wanted us to validate your irresponsibility in
allowing your cat to go unspayed and produce two litters of homeless
kittens. And if you found homes for these kittens and they didn't end
up becoming strays themselves or bound for the local humane society
for euthanization, other kittens were euthanized at the humane society
who may otherwise have been adopted in place of yours. But that's all
water under the bridge now. Fine. You also want us to say that if you
are short on funds, it's okay to not provide your cat with necessary
medical care. Sorry, we can't accommodate you. When you adopt an
animal, you are responsible for her medical care. If you can't afford
it, you either make a financial arrangment with the vet and make
monthly payments (as many of us have done in the past) or don't adopt
the animal in the first place. You are the one who is at fault here,
not us. So, stop playing the victim.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.