PDA

View Full Version : First Marlo pic, and a hissing situation

dgk
February 23rd 07, 02:59 PM
Here she is, just walking out of the Cat Introduction (and storage)
room. Note the vitually destroyed boxspring which is the only piece of
"furniture" savaged by the cats who have begun their entry into my
house in this room. When under any kind of stress they all consider
this the safe room and bolt there:

http://74.72.179.181/marlo

As for the hissing question, Espy is not taking this very well at all.
Marlo has only been in the house for four days so maybe this is just
going too quickly.

Yesterday I let Marlo roam out of the CIR for a bit, and Espy had
several major hissing fits and what sounded suspiciously like a growl.
Nipsy is no threat; he is a big wuss and would never have a
confontation while flight is still possible, but Espy is concerning me
a bit.

I can't keep Marlo in that room for much longer; she is clearly
getting bored and, being an outdoor cat, isn't used to such
confinement. It isn't like I got her from a cage somewhere. Yet she
isn't like little Jackie, who famously slugged Espy when he hissed at
her.

I have sprayed feliway around just in case it helps. I've rubbed Marlo
and let Espy sniff my hand. I've had her in the carrier while the boys
checked her out.

I'm likely to let her out again tonight for a few hours unless folks
think that this is a major mistake.

Lynne
February 23rd 07, 03:50 PM
on Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:59:15 GMT, dgk > wrote:

> Here she is, just walking out of the Cat Introduction (and storage)
> room.

Aw, THAT GIRL! That girls is so pretty!!

I don't have any suggestions for you on the rest of your post... I can only
wish you well. That's completely outside of my experience. :(

--
Lynne

bookie
February 23rd 07, 04:10 PM
On 23 Feb, 13:59, dgk > wrote:
> Here she is, just walking out of the Cat Introduction (and storage)
> room. Note the vitually destroyed boxspring which is the only piece of
> "furniture" savaged by the cats who have begun their entry into my
> house in this room. When under any kind of stress they all consider
> this the safe room and bolt there:
>
> http://74.72.179.181/marlo
>
> As for the hissing question, Espy is not taking this very well at all.
> Marlo has only been in the house for four days so maybe this is just
> going too quickly.
>
> Yesterday I let Marlo roam out of the CIR for a bit, and Espy had
> several major hissing fits and what sounded suspiciously like a growl.
> Nipsy is no threat; he is a big wuss and would never have a
> confontation while flight is still possible, but Espy is concerning me
> a bit.
>
> I can't keep Marlo in that room for much longer; she is clearly
> getting bored and, being an outdoor cat, isn't used to such
> confinement. It isn't like I got her from a cage somewhere. Yet she
> isn't like little Jackie, who famously slugged Espy when he hissed at
> her.
>
> I have sprayed feliway around just in case it helps. I've rubbed Marlo
> and let Espy sniff my hand. I've had her in the carrier while the boys
> checked her out.
>
> I'm likely to let her out again tonight for a few hours unless folks
> think that this is a major mistake.

she is so pretty!!!! that box spring behind looks in the same state my
bed is in now.

let's face it, intro are going to be hard, cats rarely take to each
other straight off be keep persisting. i am so glad you are taking her
in and giving her a chance of a home

can see onthe photo where she has had to be shaved for the needle to
go in for the anaesthetic, bless her little heart.

bookie

Gail
February 23rd 07, 04:20 PM
She's beautiful!! Hissing and growling are a natural part of integrating
cats. Yes, let her out for awhile later and supervise. Do not intervene
unless there is actual fighting. I think they will be fine in time. Just
give it time and patience.
Gail
"dgk" > wrote in message

> Here she is, just walking out of the Cat Introduction (and storage)
> room. Note the vitually destroyed boxspring which is the only piece of
> "furniture" savaged by the cats who have begun their entry into my
> house in this room. When under any kind of stress they all consider
> this the safe room and bolt there:
>
> http://74.72.179.181/marlo
>

> As for the hissing question, Espy is not taking this very well at all.
> Marlo has only been in the house for four days so maybe this is just
> going too quickly.
>
> Yesterday I let Marlo roam out of the CIR for a bit, and Espy had
> several major hissing fits and what sounded suspiciously like a growl.
> Nipsy is no threat; he is a big wuss and would never have a
> confontation while flight is still possible, but Espy is concerning me
> a bit.
>
> I can't keep Marlo in that room for much longer; she is clearly
> getting bored and, being an outdoor cat, isn't used to such
> confinement. It isn't like I got her from a cage somewhere. Yet she
> isn't like little Jackie, who famously slugged Espy when he hissed at
> her.
>
> I have sprayed feliway around just in case it helps. I've rubbed Marlo
> and let Espy sniff my hand. I've had her in the carrier while the boys
> checked her out.
>
> I'm likely to let her out again tonight for a few hours unless folks
> think that this is a major mistake.

dgk
February 23rd 07, 05:27 PM
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:20:03 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:

>She's beautiful!! Hissing and growling are a natural part of integrating
>cats. Yes, let her out for awhile later and supervise. Do not intervene
>unless there is actual fighting. I think they will be fine in time. Just
>give it time and patience.
>Gail

Thanks to all. Espy never did really become friendly with Jackie but
the hissing went away. I guess I just keep it up.

I was actually going to take off today to let her out and see what
happens since I'm going to be pretty busy over the weekend. Instead
they woke me up at 3am when Nipsy decided to start making whining
noises (how like him) out in the hall by the CIR door. So I let her
roam around a bit at that time instead.

22brix
February 23rd 07, 05:51 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message

> Here she is, just walking out of the Cat Introduction (and storage)
> room. Note the vitually destroyed boxspring which is the only piece of
> "furniture" savaged by the cats who have begun their entry into my
> house in this room. When under any kind of stress they all consider
> this the safe room and bolt there:
>
> http://74.72.179.181/marlo
>

> As for the hissing question, Espy is not taking this very well at all.
> Marlo has only been in the house for four days so maybe this is just
> going too quickly.
>
> Yesterday I let Marlo roam out of the CIR for a bit, and Espy had
> several major hissing fits and what sounded suspiciously like a growl.
> Nipsy is no threat; he is a big wuss and would never have a
> confontation while flight is still possible, but Espy is concerning me
> a bit.
>
> I can't keep Marlo in that room for much longer; she is clearly
> getting bored and, being an outdoor cat, isn't used to such
> confinement. It isn't like I got her from a cage somewhere. Yet she
> isn't like little Jackie, who famously slugged Espy when he hissed at
> her.
>
> I have sprayed feliway around just in case it helps. I've rubbed Marlo
> and let Espy sniff my hand. I've had her in the carrier while the boys
> checked her out.
>
> I'm likely to let her out again tonight for a few hours unless folks
> think that this is a major mistake.

I want her! She's adorable! She has an incredibly appealing face and I
think Marlo is a fabulous name for her. I'm so glad you took her in.
You're both lucky!

Can you confine Espy and Nipsy for a couple of hours periodically so that
she can explore? Maybe confine them in her room and let them explore it
while she's exploring their space. I think with introducing cats, the
slower the better. I rushed things a bit for Sophie, a cat that was dumped
on our property. She, too, had been an outdoor cat, was extremely
outgoing, and highly resented being cooped up in the bathroom. She never
was one to hide under the bed! After only a day or two (after being tested
and all) I gave in and let her have the run of the house. She was quite
aggressive toward the other cats and they all still hate her. She is doing
better now (2 years later) but still is a bit of a pariah. If I were doing
it over again I would have done things differently.

I don't remember who it is on this newsgroup, possibly MaryL? but she
previously posted pictures of a screened door where the cats could see and
smell each other but with no physical contact. With some cat introduction
it can take weeks.

Have fun! The more the merrier!

Bonnie and her seven

Lynne
February 23rd 07, 06:26 PM
on Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:51:49 GMT, "22brix" >
wrote:

> Can you confine Espy and Nipsy for a couple of hours periodically so
> that she can explore? Maybe confine them in her room and let them
> explore it while she's exploring their space.

That sounds like a fantastic idea!

--
Lynne

dgk
February 23rd 07, 06:28 PM
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:51:49 -0800, "22brix" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>
>> Here she is, just walking out of the Cat Introduction (and storage)
>> room. Note the vitually destroyed boxspring which is the only piece of
>> "furniture" savaged by the cats who have begun their entry into my
>> house in this room. When under any kind of stress they all consider
>> this the safe room and bolt there:
>>
>> http://74.72.179.181/marlo
>>

>> As for the hissing question, Espy is not taking this very well at all.
>> Marlo has only been in the house for four days so maybe this is just
>> going too quickly.
>>
>> Yesterday I let Marlo roam out of the CIR for a bit, and Espy had
>> several major hissing fits and what sounded suspiciously like a growl.
>> Nipsy is no threat; he is a big wuss and would never have a
>> confontation while flight is still possible, but Espy is concerning me
>> a bit.
>>
>> I can't keep Marlo in that room for much longer; she is clearly
>> getting bored and, being an outdoor cat, isn't used to such
>> confinement. It isn't like I got her from a cage somewhere. Yet she
>> isn't like little Jackie, who famously slugged Espy when he hissed at
>> her.
>>
>> I have sprayed feliway around just in case it helps. I've rubbed Marlo
>> and let Espy sniff my hand. I've had her in the carrier while the boys
>> checked her out.
>>
>> I'm likely to let her out again tonight for a few hours unless folks
>> think that this is a major mistake.
>>

>I want her! She's adorable! She has an incredibly appealing face and I
>think Marlo is a fabulous name for her. I'm so glad you took her in.
>You're both lucky!
>
>Can you confine Espy and Nipsy for a couple of hours periodically so that
>she can explore? Maybe confine them in her room and let them explore it
>while she's exploring their space. I think with introducing cats, the
>slower the better. I rushed things a bit for Sophie, a cat that was dumped
>on our property. She, too, had been an outdoor cat, was extremely
>outgoing, and highly resented being cooped up in the bathroom. She never
>was one to hide under the bed! After only a day or two (after being tested
>and all) I gave in and let her have the run of the house. She was quite
>aggressive toward the other cats and they all still hate her. She is doing
>better now (2 years later) but still is a bit of a pariah. If I were doing
>it over again I would have done things differently.
>
>I don't remember who it is on this newsgroup, possibly MaryL? but she
>previously posted pictures of a screened door where the cats could see and
>smell each other but with no physical contact. With some cat introduction
>it can take weeks.
>
>Have fun! The more the merrier!
>
>Bonnie and her seven

Thanks. I think I might lock Espy somewhere for a little while, but
I'm also trying to give him lots of treats. I think that when he falls
asleep on the cable box I'll just shut the door. He probably won't
even wake up.

cybercat
February 23rd 07, 06:51 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message

> Here she is, just walking out of the Cat Introduction (and storage)
> room. Note the vitually destroyed boxspring which is the only piece of
> "furniture" savaged by the cats who have begun their entry into my
> house in this room. When under any kind of stress they all consider
> this the safe room and bolt there:
>
> http://74.72.179.181/marlo

Oh, my mistake! She is definitely a Marlo.

What an adorable face!!

Rhonda
February 23rd 07, 07:47 PM
Maybe you're doing this already, but take a blanket or towel or
something that has her scent on it and put it in the same room with the
other cats. The same for them -- I think it helps to them all get used
to each other's smell before they spend much time face to face.

She is a pretty cat, the white is so white!

Rhonda

dgk wrote:
> Here she is, just walking out of the Cat Introduction (and storage)
> room. Note the vitually destroyed boxspring which is the only piece of
> "furniture" savaged by the cats who have begun their entry into my
> house in this room. When under any kind of stress they all consider
> this the safe room and bolt there:
>
> http://74.72.179.181/marlo
>

> As for the hissing question, Espy is not taking this very well at all.
> Marlo has only been in the house for four days so maybe this is just
> going too quickly.
>
> Yesterday I let Marlo roam out of the CIR for a bit, and Espy had
> several major hissing fits and what sounded suspiciously like a growl.
> Nipsy is no threat; he is a big wuss and would never have a
> confontation while flight is still possible, but Espy is concerning me
> a bit.
>
> I can't keep Marlo in that room for much longer; she is clearly
> getting bored and, being an outdoor cat, isn't used to such
> confinement. It isn't like I got her from a cage somewhere. Yet she
> isn't like little Jackie, who famously slugged Espy when he hissed at
> her.
>
> I have sprayed feliway around just in case it helps. I've rubbed Marlo
> and let Espy sniff my hand. I've had her in the carrier while the boys
> checked her out.
>
> I'm likely to let her out again tonight for a few hours unless folks
> think that this is a major mistake.

dgk
February 24th 07, 10:10 PM
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:47:52 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>Maybe you're doing this already, but take a blanket or towel or
>something that has her scent on it and put it in the same room with the
>other cats. The same for them -- I think it helps to them all get used
>to each other's smell before they spend much time face to face.
>
>She is a pretty cat, the white is so white!
>
>Rhonda

No, I didn't do the towel thing. I've been petting her and then
letting the boys smell my hands. I figured this way the smell of me
and Marlo would combine.

Friday night went pretty well. Marlo didn't want to stay in the room
any more so I just let her out. Nipsy was an inquisitive gentleman and
Espy was hissing. But Marlo hissed right back. Things actually went
well enough so that I let her stay out until bedtime. I woke up around
5am and she wanted to come out so I let her out and put out food for
all three, and went back to bed for a few hours and things were quite.

Then I went out for a few hours and she was under her bed when I came
back. So I coaxed her out and carried her to my bedroom where I
brushed her while the boys hung around. Then the doorbell rang and
it's been downhill from there. A friend came in and Marlo bolted under
her bed and has pretty much stayed there. In fact, she went all the
way up into the boxspring and won't come out. Maybe too much too fast.

Rhonda
February 25th 07, 01:03 AM
She will calm down. I'm sure there will be lots of new things that
really scare her and she retreats to her safe place for awhile. I'm sure
she'll get bolder as time goes on.

One of our formerly feral cats was doing so well, then the furnace came
on for the first time in the fall and scared the crap out of her. I
didn't see much of her for 2 weeks after that. I felt like we'd
regressed, but she got over it and carried on. Now she gets scared and
retreats at different things but recovers more quickly.

Rhonda

dgk wrote:

> Then the doorbell rang and
> it's been downhill from there. A friend came in and Marlo bolted under
> her bed and has pretty much stayed there. In fact, she went all the
> way up into the boxspring and won't come out. Maybe too much too fast.

Lynne
February 25th 07, 01:53 AM
on Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:03:50 GMT, Rhonda > wrote:

> She will calm down. I'm sure there will be lots of new things that
> really scare her and she retreats to her safe place for awhile. I'm sure
> she'll get bolder as time goes on.
>
> One of our formerly feral cats was doing so well, then the furnace came
> on for the first time in the fall and scared the crap out of her. I
> didn't see much of her for 2 weeks after that. I felt like we'd
> regressed, but she got over it and carried on. Now she gets scared and
> retreats at different things but recovers more quickly.

I agree with what Rhonda says here. Marlo will get used to all the new
stuff, but it's going to take time and repeated exposure. I think that so
long as none of the cats are fighting, everyone is eating and drinking well
and using the litter trays, you can rest assured this will be successful.

I'm really encouraged for you!! Marlo is a lucky little girl (and
gorgeous, too!). I feel the need to thank you for taking her in. You have
done a beautiful thing, and I think you are doing a great job.

--
Lynne

MaryL
February 25th 07, 02:34 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> I don't remember who it is on this newsgroup, possibly MaryL? but she
> previously posted pictures of a screened door where the cats could see and
> smell each other but with no physical contact. With some cat introduction
> it can take weeks.
>
> Have fun! The more the merrier!
>
> Bonnie and her seven

Yes, I posted a picture of the door I used after I adopted Duffy and wanted
to *slowly* introduce him to Duffy. It really is important to take things
slow and easy. Some people have had success with fast introductions, but
that can also be a recipe for disaster -- much better to go carefully and
avoid possible long-term problems.

I also posted a lot of information concerning the steps I took in the
introduction. I will be glad to email it if you want a copy. My email
attached to this is valid (except that you first need to
"take-out-the-litter"), so just send an email request if you want to read
it.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Cheryl
February 25th 07, 02:46 AM
On Sat 24 Feb 2007 04:10:29p, dgk wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> Then I went out for a few hours and she was under her bed when I
> came back. So I coaxed her out and carried her to my bedroom
> where I brushed her while the boys hung around. Then the
> doorbell rang and it's been downhill from there. A friend came
> in and Marlo bolted under her bed and has pretty much stayed
> there. In fact, she went all the way up into the boxspring and
> won't come out. Maybe too much too fast.

With some cats, that may never change. Some cats are cat-friendly
and some are people-friendly. Some are both, some are neither.
Rhett for example who was never "feral" but born outdoors and found
with his littermates (motherless) at 5 weeks old is still to this
day like Marlo when anyone comes in the house. He freaks out, and
then he even runs from me hours after visitors have left. His
littermate, Scarlett, hides, but depending on the activity when
visitors are around, will sneak out to see what's going on. She's
fine later. Bonnie, formerly feral, hides entirely during a visit
but is soon back out acting like nothing ever happened, but that's
been a progression since she was a true feral. Shamrock loves
everyone, and thrives when I have visitors.

I think what you describe is sounding very promising!

--
Cheryl

Lynne
February 25th 07, 03:00 AM
on Sun, 25 Feb 2007 01:46:59 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> With some cats, that may never change. Some cats are cat-friendly
> and some are people-friendly. Some are both, some are neither.

Yes!!

> Rhett for example who was never "feral" but born outdoors and found
> with his littermates (motherless) at 5 weeks old is still to this
> day like Marlo when anyone comes in the house. He freaks out, and
> then he even runs from me hours after visitors have left. His
> littermate, Scarlett, hides, but depending on the activity when
> visitors are around, will sneak out to see what's going on. She's
> fine later.

Scarlett sounds just like my Levi in this regard, even down to his
beginnings (but he was found much younger).

> Bonnie, formerly feral, hides entirely during a visit
> but is soon back out acting like nothing ever happened, but that's
> been a progression since she was a true feral. Shamrock loves
> everyone, and thrives when I have visitors.

My Rudy sounds just like your Shamrock. He's like a dog when the
doorbell rings, runs to it, and is all over EVERYONE who comes over,
including friends, visiting dogs and the UPS guy. He cracks me up.

> I think what you describe is sounding very promising!

I agree wholeheartedly!!

--
Lynne

dgk
February 25th 07, 04:22 AM
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 19:34:53 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"22brix" > wrote in message
>>

>> I don't remember who it is on this newsgroup, possibly MaryL? but she
>> previously posted pictures of a screened door where the cats could see and
>> smell each other but with no physical contact. With some cat introduction
>> it can take weeks.
>>
>> Have fun! The more the merrier!
>>
>> Bonnie and her seven
>>

>Yes, I posted a picture of the door I used after I adopted Duffy and wanted
>to *slowly* introduce him to Duffy. It really is important to take things
>slow and easy. Some people have had success with fast introductions, but
>that can also be a recipe for disaster -- much better to go carefully and
>avoid possible long-term problems.
>
>I also posted a lot of information concerning the steps I took in the
>introduction. I will be glad to email it if you want a copy. My email
>attached to this is valid (except that you first need to
>"take-out-the-litter"), so just send an email request if you want to read
>it.
>
>MaryL
>
>Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
>http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
>http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

I read something on the intros at the Humane Society. I rubbed a towel
on Marlo (who was somewhat amused at that) and placed it on Espy when
he was napping. He woke up, sniffed a bit, looked at me, and went back
to sleep.

Marlo is out from under the bed, but isn't quite up to exploring just
now. So I got her some food and she's lying on her bed on top of the
bed. Things progress but I'm moving a bit slower than I was. I'll see
what 5am brings this morning.

MaryL
February 25th 07, 04:29 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 19:34:53 -0600, "MaryL"
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>

>>"22brix" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> I don't remember who it is on this newsgroup, possibly MaryL? but she
>>> previously posted pictures of a screened door where the cats could see
>>> and
>>> smell each other but with no physical contact. With some cat
>>> introduction
>>> it can take weeks.
>>>
>>> Have fun! The more the merrier!
>>>
>>> Bonnie and her seven
>>>

>>Yes, I posted a picture of the door I used after I adopted Duffy and
>>wanted
>>to *slowly* introduce him to Duffy. It really is important to take things
>>slow and easy. Some people have had success with fast introductions, but
>>that can also be a recipe for disaster -- much better to go carefully and
>>avoid possible long-term problems.
>>
>>I also posted a lot of information concerning the steps I took in the
>>introduction. I will be glad to email it if you want a copy. My email
>>attached to this is valid (except that you first need to
>>"take-out-the-litter"), so just send an email request if you want to read
>>it.
>>
>>MaryL
>>
>>Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
>>http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
>>http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")
>>

> I read something on the intros at the Humane Society. I rubbed a towel
> on Marlo (who was somewhat amused at that) and placed it on Espy when
> he was napping. He woke up, sniffed a bit, looked at me, and went back
> to sleep.
>
> Marlo is out from under the bed, but isn't quite up to exploring just
> now. So I got her some food and she's lying on her bed on top of the
> bed. Things progress but I'm moving a bit slower than I was. I'll see
> what 5am brings this morning.

Give the introduction *lots* of time (not just overnight). I did everything
in very small "baby steps," following the advice of a friend who had a lot
of experience in these matters. Holly had a history of aggressively
attacking any other cat in my vicinity, so I took a full 6 weeks before I
left the two cats alone together full-time. They are now good friends, and
I have a wonderful twosome to love. It's *well worth it* to make slow,
measured introductions.

MaryL

Here's some more pictures (most are more recent than the introduction pics):
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

dgk
February 26th 07, 02:11 PM
On 25 Feb 2007 01:46:59 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On Sat 24 Feb 2007 04:10:29p, dgk wrote in
>rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:
>
>> Then I went out for a few hours and she was under her bed when I
>> came back. So I coaxed her out and carried her to my bedroom
>> where I brushed her while the boys hung around. Then the
>> doorbell rang and it's been downhill from there. A friend came
>> in and Marlo bolted under her bed and has pretty much stayed
>> there. In fact, she went all the way up into the boxspring and
>> won't come out. Maybe too much too fast.
>
>With some cats, that may never change. Some cats are cat-friendly
>and some are people-friendly. Some are both, some are neither.
>Rhett for example who was never "feral" but born outdoors and found
>with his littermates (motherless) at 5 weeks old is still to this
>day like Marlo when anyone comes in the house. He freaks out, and
>then he even runs from me hours after visitors have left. His
>littermate, Scarlett, hides, but depending on the activity when
>visitors are around, will sneak out to see what's going on. She's
>fine later. Bonnie, formerly feral, hides entirely during a visit
>but is soon back out acting like nothing ever happened, but that's
>been a progression since she was a true feral. Shamrock loves
>everyone, and thrives when I have visitors.
>
>I think what you describe is sounding very promising!

Nipsy is like that, and always will be. The doorbells sounds and there
is a grey streak and then no Nipsy. I have a feeling that Marlo won't
be as bad.

I was looking at Marlo and I realized that her eyes are just like
those on the stupid cat clocks - the one on the left:

http://www.kit-cat.com/clocks.htm

Big wide eyes.