PDA

View Full Version : insulin resistant cat

BigBlocky!
February 24th 07, 12:03 AM
Hi. I have a cat whose diabetes was until recently manageable through diet.
He started to lose weight so I took him to see the veterinarian. She told
me that his blood sugar was high enough that dietary intervention alone
wasn't going to be good enough - that he'd require insulin. I left my cat
at the vet's office for a couple of days while they attempted to regulate
his blood sugar with insulin, but they were mostly unsuccessful. I'm really
at a loss here with the only thing in my mind to try is a taurine supplement
as I have read that it helps increase insulin sensitivity. Does anybody
have any ideas that might help? I'm grateful for any information you can
provide.

Thanks and take care,

MarkM

Rene S.
February 24th 07, 01:17 AM
On Feb 23, 6:03�pm, "BigBlocky!" > wrote:
> Hi. *I have a cat whose diabetes was until recently manageable through diet.
> He started to lose weight so I took him to see the veterinarian. *She told
> me that his blood sugar was high enough that dietary intervention alone
> wasn't going to be good enough - that he'd require insulin. *I left my cat
> at the vet's office for a couple of days while they attempted to regulate
> his blood sugar with insulin, but they were mostly unsuccessful. *I'm really
> at a loss here with the only thing in my mind to try is a taurine supplement
> as I have read that it helps increase insulin sensitivity. *Does anybody
> have any ideas that might help? *I'm grateful for any information you can
> provide.
>
> Thanks and take care,
>
> MarkM

Mark,

Email me privately. I have some information for you.

Rene

Rhonda
February 24th 07, 04:09 AM
Hi Mark,

It takes awhile to regulate a cat's sugar. The best way is to start out
very low, like 1 unit per day, then recheck in a week. It takes a week
or two for the body to adjust to a new dose. If they were doing multiple
switches in a couple of days -- that will tell them nothing.

You might try another vet who is more familiar with diabetes, or ask to
be referred to an internist vet (you will need a referral for that.) We
took our diabetic cat to an internist and she saved his life.

Also, some vets start out insulin way too high, like 4-5 units, and it
overloads the cat's system. Their sugar levels start swinging wildly and
it looks like the cat is not responding to insulin, when really they are
responding too much and on the downswing of a wild curve.

There is a wonderful group of diabetic cat owners that helped me with
our cat. They know more than some vets! I can't say enough about the
support and knowledge that they share. It's the message board on this
website: http://www.felinediabetes.com/. It's under "communication" in
the column on the right.

Good luck with your cat!

Rhonda

BigBlocky! wrote:
> Hi. I have a cat whose diabetes was until recently manageable through diet.
> He started to lose weight so I took him to see the veterinarian. She told
> me that his blood sugar was high enough that dietary intervention alone
> wasn't going to be good enough - that he'd require insulin. I left my cat
> at the vet's office for a couple of days while they attempted to regulate
> his blood sugar with insulin, but they were mostly unsuccessful. I'm really
> at a loss here with the only thing in my mind to try is a taurine supplement
> as I have read that it helps increase insulin sensitivity. Does anybody
> have any ideas that might help? I'm grateful for any information you can
> provide.
>
> Thanks and take care,
>
> MarkM

~*Connie*~
February 24th 07, 03:21 PM
also read up on home testing. it is better if you can test your cats blood
sugar at home.. better for you financially, and better for the cat for less
stress. It was recommended to me to use a human glucometer several years
ago, and many studies have shown it to be effective and it has saved many
cats lives.

Diet is also highly important. if your vet is up on the current treatment
of diabetes, then chances are they prescribed Hills DM or some other high
protein diet. Hopefully you are feeding a canned food. There isn't a dry
food out there that is low enough in carbs to help diabetic cats. Check out
www.catinfo.org for more information regarding diet. I have not heard of
taurine helping increase insulin sensitivity. I would be very interested to
see where you got that from. A high protein low carb diet is an appropriate
diet for any cat, but is very important for a diabetic cat.

felinediabetes.com is a very helpful website! so is www.yourdiabeticcat.com
My kitty has been diabetic for almost 7 years now.. it is treatable, and
manageable, and insulin is quite easy to administer. Get your cat on the
right diet and boost the system with insulin, you might be able to get your
cat off insulin.

"BigBlocky!" > wrote in message
> Hi. I have a cat whose diabetes was until recently manageable through
> diet. He started to lose weight so I took him to see the veterinarian.
> She told me that his blood sugar was high enough that dietary intervention
> alone wasn't going to be good enough - that he'd require insulin. I left
> my cat at the vet's office for a couple of days while they attempted to
> regulate his blood sugar with insulin, but they were mostly unsuccessful.
> I'm really at a loss here with the only thing in my mind to try is a
> taurine supplement as I have read that it helps increase insulin
> sensitivity. Does anybody have any ideas that might help? I'm grateful
> for any information you can provide.
>
> Thanks and take care,
>
> MarkM

William Graham
February 24th 07, 09:25 PM
"~*Connie*~" > wrote in message
> also read up on home testing. it is better if you can test your cats
> blood sugar at home.. better for you financially, and better for the cat
> for less stress. It was recommended to me to use a human glucometer
> several years ago, and many studies have shown it to be effective and it
> has saved many cats lives.

As a 15 year diabetic, I recommend the Freestyle "Flash"
glucoseometer.....It uses only .3 microliteres of blood, which is so small,
you can hardly see it. The less the blood, the less traumatic for the
cat.....You should measure your own blood sugar in the cats presence a few
times, so she/he can see that it doesn't hurt you..........

~*Connie*~
February 25th 07, 12:13 AM
> "~*Connie*~" > wrote in message
>> also read up on home testing. it is better if you can test your cats
>> blood sugar at home.. better for you financially, and better for the cat
>> for less stress. It was recommended to me to use a human glucometer
>> several years ago, and many studies have shown it to be effective and it
>> has saved many cats lives.
>
> As a 15 year diabetic, I recommend the Freestyle "Flash"
> glucoseometer.....It uses only .3 microliteres of blood, which is so
> small, you can hardly see it. The less the blood, the less traumatic for
> the cat.....You should measure your own blood sugar in the cats presence a
> few times, so she/he can see that it doesn't hurt you..........
I do use the freestyle flash.. Getting my cat to bleed takes a long time,
she's never liked doing it. There are 'generic' brands out there that take
small amounts of blood as well, and the strips are less expensive.

You can get the flash for free most of the time because they offer a rebate,
but the strips in the store sell for about a dollar each ($50 for 50 etc)
I buy mine on Ebay for about fifty cents a strip... but you have to be
careful of sellers and of expiration dates. If you can find a store brand
that takes a small amount of blood, I might recommend you go that route.

You might also want to buy a pair of baby socks (socks for human babies) and
fill one with some regular rice (not instant rice) so you can warm it up in
the microwave and then place that on the cat's ear to warm it up and help
with the blood flow. :)

the learning curve for FD is incredibly steep, but very short.

William Graham
February 25th 07, 01:32 AM
"~*Connie*~" > wrote in message

>> "~*Connie*~" > wrote in message
>>> also read up on home testing. it is better if you can test your cats
>>> blood sugar at home.. better for you financially, and better for the
>>> cat for less stress. It was recommended to me to use a human glucometer
>>> several years ago, and many studies have shown it to be effective and it
>>> has saved many cats lives.
>>
>> As a 15 year diabetic, I recommend the Freestyle "Flash"
>> glucoseometer.....It uses only .3 microliteres of blood, which is so
>> small, you can hardly see it. The less the blood, the less traumatic for
>> the cat.....You should measure your own blood sugar in the cats presence
>> a few times, so she/he can see that it doesn't hurt you..........
> I do use the freestyle flash.. Getting my cat to bleed takes a long time,
> she's never liked doing it. There are 'generic' brands out there that
> take small amounts of blood as well, and the strips are less expensive.
>
> You can get the flash for free most of the time because they offer a
> rebate, but the strips in the store sell for about a dollar each ($50 for
> 50 etc) I buy mine on Ebay for about fifty cents a strip... but you have
> to be careful of sellers and of expiration dates. If you can find a store
> brand that takes a small amount of blood, I might recommend you go that
> route.
>
> You might also want to buy a pair of baby socks (socks for human babies)
> and fill one with some regular rice (not instant rice) so you can warm it
> up in the microwave and then place that on the cat's ear to warm it up and
> help with the blood flow. :)
>
> the learning curve for FD is incredibly steep, but very short.

Yeah....I should have mentioned that the test strips are very
expensive.....My wife's endocrinologist gives her the Freestyle Flash units
away for free when he has them, because he gets them for free. The company
more than makes up for it by selling those strips for a dollar each.....I
always thought Polaroid should have given their cameras away for nothing for
the same reason.....Now they are out of business.......We get our test
strips for a lot less, because our health plan includes prescription drugs,
and our doctor prescribes the strips for us......It's too bad there isn't a
health plan for cats.....

MaryL
February 25th 07, 02:34 AM
"William Graham" > wrote in message

>>> As a 15 year diabetic, I recommend the Freestyle "Flash"
>>> glucoseometer.....It uses only .3 microliteres of blood, which is so
>>> small, you can hardly see it. The less the blood, the less traumatic for
>>> the cat.....You should measure your own blood sugar in the cats presence
>>> a few times, so she/he can see that it doesn't hurt you..........
>> I do use the freestyle flash.. Getting my cat to bleed takes a long time,
>> she's never liked doing it. There are 'generic' brands out there that
>> take small amounts of blood as well, and the strips are less expensive.
>>
>> You can get the flash for free most of the time because they offer a
>> rebate, but the strips in the store sell for about a dollar each ($50 for
>> 50 etc) I buy mine on Ebay for about fifty cents a strip... but you have
>> to be careful of sellers and of expiration dates. If you can find a
>> store brand that takes a small amount of blood, I might recommend you go
>> that route.
>>
>> You might also want to buy a pair of baby socks (socks for human babies)
>> and fill one with some regular rice (not instant rice) so you can warm it
>> up in the microwave and then place that on the cat's ear to warm it up
>> and help with the blood flow. :)
>>
>> the learning curve for FD is incredibly steep, but very short.
>>

> Yeah....I should have mentioned that the test strips are very
> expensive.....My wife's endocrinologist gives her the Freestyle Flash
> units away for free when he has them, because he gets them for free. The
> company more than makes up for it by selling those strips for a dollar
> each.....I always thought Polaroid should have given their cameras away
> for nothing for the same reason.....Now they are out of business.......We
> get our test strips for a lot less, because our health plan includes
> prescription drugs, and our doctor prescribes the strips for us......It's
> too bad there isn't a health plan for cats.....

That's a bit high. I pay $79.00 for 100 Freestyle strips -- at Kroger's
pharmacy, of all places. I checked every pharmacy in the area, and they
were the least expensive. So, you might want to see if there is a Kroger's
pharmacy in your area. It's still expensive, but not quite as much as you
are paying.

I agree. I really like Freestyle. I have both Freestyle and Freestyle
Flash, and they use a tiny drop of blood and return results almost
instantly. My doctor's nurse was amazed when she saw how quickly I could
get results (and the results were very close to what she got with their lab
tests).

MaryL

William Graham
February 25th 07, 02:43 AM

>>> I do use the freestyle flash.. Getting my cat to bleed takes a long
>>> time, she's never liked doing it. There are 'generic' brands out there
>>> that take small amounts of blood as well, and the strips are less
>>> expensive.
>>>
>>> You can get the flash for free most of the time because they offer a
>>> rebate, but the strips in the store sell for about a dollar each ($50
>>> for 50 etc) I buy mine on Ebay for about fifty cents a strip... but you
>>> have to be careful of sellers and of expiration dates. If you can find
>>> a store brand that takes a small amount of blood, I might recommend you
>>> go that route.
>>>
>>> You might also want to buy a pair of baby socks (socks for human babies)
>>> and fill one with some regular rice (not instant rice) so you can warm
>>> it up in the microwave and then place that on the cat's ear to warm it
>>> up and help with the blood flow. :)
>>>
>>> the learning curve for FD is incredibly steep, but very short.
>>>

>> Yeah....I should have mentioned that the test strips are very
>> expensive.....My wife's endocrinologist gives her the Freestyle Flash
>> units away for free when he has them, because he gets them for free. The
>> company more than makes up for it by selling those strips for a dollar
>> each.....I always thought Polaroid should have given their cameras away
>> for nothing for the same reason.....Now they are out of business.......We
>> get our test strips for a lot less, because our health plan includes
>> prescription drugs, and our doctor prescribes the strips for us......It's
>> too bad there isn't a health plan for cats.....
>>

> That's a bit high. I pay $79.00 for 100 Freestyle strips -- at Kroger's
> pharmacy, of all places. I checked every pharmacy in the area, and they
> were the least expensive. So, you might want to see if there is a
> Kroger's pharmacy in your area. It's still expensive, but not quite as
> much as you are paying.
>
> I agree. I really like Freestyle. I have both Freestyle and Freestyle
> Flash, and they use a tiny drop of blood and return results almost
> instantly. My doctor's nurse was amazed when she saw how quickly I could
> get results (and the results were very close to what she got with their
> lab tests).
>
> MaryL

Well, my health plan pays the bulk of the price for my test
strips....Actually, since I am over 65, and on Medicare, it's the government
(read YOU) who is paying......:^) But thanks for the information about
Kroger's......

MaryL
February 25th 07, 03:10 AM
"William Graham" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

>> That's a bit high. I pay $79.00 for 100 Freestyle strips -- at Kroger's
>> pharmacy, of all places. I checked every pharmacy in the area, and they
>> were the least expensive. So, you might want to see if there is a
>> Kroger's pharmacy in your area. It's still expensive, but not quite as
>> much as you are paying.
>>
>> I agree. I really like Freestyle. I have both Freestyle and Freestyle
>> Flash, and they use a tiny drop of blood and return results almost
>> instantly. My doctor's nurse was amazed when she saw how quickly I could
>> get results (and the results were very close to what she got with their
>> lab tests).
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> Well, my health plan pays the bulk of the price for my test
> strips....Actually, since I am over 65, and on Medicare, it's the
> government (read YOU) who is paying......:^) But thanks for the
> information about Kroger's......

Fortunately, my insurance also pays a good percentage of my cost -- but it
is a percentage, so lower cost means that I pay a smaller amount (and I
think it is always worthwhile to do some comparison). This will be
particularly important for those who have cats with diabetes because
insurance will not cover that.

MaryL

cindys
February 25th 07, 05:57 AM
"~*Connie*~" > wrote in message

> You might also want to buy a pair of baby socks (socks for human babies)
> and fill one with some regular rice (not instant rice) so you can warm it
> up in the microwave and then place that on the cat's ear to warm it up and
> help with the blood flow. :)
-----------------
What my vet suggested and works extremely well is to rub a little vaseline
on the cat's ear where you intend to stick him. After you stick him, the
blood beads up and stays in place rather than running down his ear.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cindys
February 25th 07, 06:05 AM
"~*Connie*~" > wrote in message
> also read up on home testing. it is better if you can test your cats
> blood sugar at home.. better for you financially, and better for the cat
> for less stress. It was recommended to me to use a human glucometer
> several years ago, and many studies have shown it to be effective and it
> has saved many cats lives.
>
> Diet is also highly important. if your vet is up on the current treatment
> of diabetes, then chances are they prescribed Hills DM or some other high
> protein diet. Hopefully you are feeding a canned food.

My *previously* diabetic cat eats canned food and Purina OM dry food
(prescription). Purina also makes an OM canned, but my cat refused to eat
it, so he's been eating the store-brand special diet canned food (along with
the dry OM) for the past year. This has worked out great. I check his blood
glucose at home (only about once a month now), and it's always in the high
70 to low 90 range. This is a cat whose blood glucose was once in the
500-600 range, and the vet put him on Lantus (glargine) insulin. He only
required insulin for a few weeks and in a combination with the change in
diet (I had previously been feeding Iams Weight Control dry cat food), he
was ostensibly cured of diabetes (or at least controlled with diet only - he
no longer needs insulin).

> felinediabetes.com is a very helpful website! so is
www.yourdiabeticcat.com
> My kitty has been diabetic for almost 7 years now.. it is treatable, and
> manageable, and insulin is quite easy to administer. Get your cat on the
> right diet and boost the system with insulin, you might be able to get
> your cat off insulin.

Absolutely true. My cat is living proof of this.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Dick Ballard
February 26th 07, 09:01 AM
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:25:43 -0800, "William Graham"
> wrote:

>"~*Connie*~" > wrote in message
>>
>> also read up on home testing. it is better if you can test your cats
>> blood sugar at home.. better for you financially, and better for the cat
>> for less stress. It was recommended to me to use a human glucometer
>> several years ago, and many studies have shown it to be effective and it
>> has saved many cats lives.
>
>As a 15 year diabetic, I recommend the Freestyle "Flash"
>glucoseometer.....It uses only .3 microliteres of blood, which is so small,
>you can hardly see it. The less the blood, the less traumatic for the
>cat.....You should measure your own blood sugar in the cats presence a few
>times, so she/he can see that it doesn't hurt you..........

Our cat was sent into a diabetic state (glucose at 600+) by
dexamethasone use for asthma. After a couple of months on protamine
zinc insulin (PZI) and a switch to canned food only, he recovered. The
meter we use to monitor him is an EasyPRO meter purchased from Target
for $8.99. The test strips are $21.99 for a vial of 50 strips.

This particular unit is quite small and light, is simple to use, has
no distracting audio beeps, and the test strips require only a 1.5 L
sample size. The strips grab the blood by capillary action right at
the tip and work in any position.

This meter doesn't have meal/activity labels for the readings
(before/after meals, exercise, injection, etc) as do the fancier
meters, but that doesn't seem important for our purpose here. It does
record date/time with each reading, stores 250 readings, and does 14
and 30 day averaging.

This brand name is apparently a private label for Target. It is
manufactured under license from Cambridge Life Sciences, Ely, UK. I
cannot find it on the Target web site or anywhere else under the
EasyPRO brand name, but I found one whose description appears
identical under the Hypoguard Advance label:

http://www.store4diabetics.com/store/item/7553700909/hypoguardadvanceglucosemonitor.html

Test strips at:

http://www.store4diabetics.com/store/item/1548241050/advancemicrodrawteststrips50ct.html

Dick Ballard