PDA

View Full Version : Up Date on Sad loss of kittens

sheelagh
February 24th 07, 06:36 PM
Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you with details and
results of tests, but we had to wait for them, & I've had no PC for a
couple of days either.

After every cats swabs, blood tests, cultures, we had to wait for the
results which were somewhat surprising, & I needed to find out what we
could do for Tiggy, baring in mind that she has had no antenatal care,
& results of the ultrasound tests to tell us what stage we are in her
pregnancy too.

The first shock was to find out that Lucy(fur!) is Fhv positive & the
most probably source of infection because she is also Fcv positive
too;o(

All of the other cats white counts are more or less back to normal &
the cultures told them that the only cat not infected at all, was
Tiggy.

Tiggy is into her 7th week of pregnancy, & the surgery were reluctant
to abort the kitten, if there was any possible way that we could
isolate her.

This has been arranged & Tiggy has already gone to a foster home until
the end of her confinement, & the rearing of her kittens is complete
( this is assuming that all goes well of course!!)

They even took some amniotic fluid to see if they were viable, which
sounded rather strange, but I believe them.
It was hard watching Tiggy go, but I have to do what is right for the
cat and her kittens in this instance.

Tiggy is now living about a mile down the road, where there are no
other cats or animals for her to catch or pass on any infections to.

The news about Lucy is devastating though & we are not sure how to
take it, or what the best course of action would be in her case. I
know that there are several of you who have cats that are Fhv
positive, but is there anyone out there who has a cat who is possitive
to both Fhv & Fcv too?
I would love to hear from you if you have, to hear how you cope with
the disease & advice on the best course of action to take now,
considering that we still have 6 other cats to take into
consideration. The strangest thing is that we didn't think that Lucy
was all that ill when the pandemic hit?!!
I am still reeling a bit from the results, so any views on how to cope
with this new unknown would be greatly appreciated indeed.

I feel terribly responsible for the whole situation, & could kick
myself for not isolating Lucy(fur!) properly when we first got her;we
got caught up in the emotion & let our guard down, & now we all pay
the price for it.
Guilt is a useless feeling, so I shall set that aside now & pray for a
good outcome. If not, I only have myself to blame here..I made the
error...
S.

Cheryl
February 24th 07, 07:34 PM
On Sat 24 Feb 2007 12:36:11p, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ps.com>:

<snip>

> The news about Lucy is devastating though & we are not sure how
> to take it, or what the best course of action would be in her
> case. I know that there are several of you who have cats that
> are Fhv positive, but is there anyone out there who has a cat
> who is possitive to both Fhv & Fcv too?
> I would love to hear from you if you have, to hear how you cope
> with the disease & advice on the best course of action to take
> now, considering that we still have 6 other cats to take into
> consideration. The strangest thing is that we didn't think that
> Lucy was all that ill when the pandemic hit?!!
> I am still reeling a bit from the results, so any views on how
> to cope with this new unknown would be greatly appreciated
> indeed.

<snip>

I'm happy to hear Tiggy is fine, and is isolated. Best wishes and
purrs for her and the kits health.

As for herpes virus and calicivirus, I wouldn't worry too much
about it if Lucy doesn't seem sick. She's probably a carrier. Not
at all uncommon, and you've seen what a carrier can do, and you
wouldn't want to expose kittens to her. Not fun, but managable.
Scarlett and Rhett, now over 2-1/2 years old, were both very sick
with suspected and likely herpes virus, but no tests had been done
to confirm it - we just treated it. It was recurred for months,
but they were young and found outside with other littermates who
were also sick, so they kept passing URIs between each other. At
around 6 months old, each of them had pretty much "outgrown" it,
but they still have goopy eyes from time to time. L-Lysine is very
effective for FHV and sometimes has to be given for life.

FCV is something I haven't seen much of, and one day I noticed
Scarlett with what looked like an infected lip. These guys all play
rough, and there have been several cases of torn eyes that have had
to be treated, and I thought it was the same thing, caused by
someone's claw. Took her to emergency because it was on a Saturday
afternoon (figures!) and if she had an infection I didn't want to
wait until I could get her in to our regular vet. The emergency vet
diagnosed it as viral and not an infection, and forwarded the
diagnosis of FCV to our vet. This was last summer; it went away in
a week and it's never come back. But both of these viruses are
prone to stress, so if there is stress in their life, it could
bring on symptoms. Other than that, I don't worry about it. Just
my experience with these. Good luck and don't beat yourself up.

--
Cheryl

Steena-Feena
February 24th 07, 08:02 PM
On Feb 24, 1:34 pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Sat 24 Feb2007 12:36:11p, sheelagh wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> ps.com>:
>
> <snip>
>
> > The news about Lucy is devastating though & we are not sure how
> > to take it, or what the best course of action would be in her
> > case. I know that there are several of you who have cats that
> > are Fhv positive, but is there anyone out there who has a cat
> > who is possitive to both Fhv & Fcv too?
> > I would love to hear from you if you have, to hear how you cope
> > with the disease & advice on the best course of action to take
> > now, considering that we still have 6 other cats to take into
> > consideration. The strangest thing is that we didn't think that
> > Lucy was all that ill when the pandemic hit?!!
> > I am still reeling a bit from the results, so any views on how
> > to cope with this new unknown would be greatly appreciated
> > indeed.
>
> <snip>
>
> I'm happy to hear Tiggy is fine, and is isolated. Best wishes and
> purrs for her and the kits health.
>
> As for herpes virus and calicivirus, I wouldn't worry too much
> about it if Lucy doesn't seem sick. She's probably a carrier. Not
> at all uncommon, and you've seen what a carrier can do, and you
> wouldn't want to expose kittens to her. Not fun, but managable.
> Scarlett and Rhett, now over 2-1/2 years old, were both very sick
> with suspected and likely herpes virus, but no tests had been done
> to confirm it - we just treated it. It was recurred for months,
> but they were young and found outside with other littermates who
> were also sick, so they kept passing URIs between each other. At
> around 6 months old, each of them had pretty much "outgrown" it,
> but they still have goopy eyes from time to time. L-Lysine is very
> effective for FHV and sometimes has to be given for life.
>
> FCV is something I haven't seen much of, and one day I noticed
> Scarlett with what looked like an infected lip. These guys all play
> rough, and there have been several cases of torn eyes that have had
> to be treated, and I thought it was the same thing, caused by
> someone's claw. Took her to emergency because it was on a Saturday
> afternoon (figures!) and if she had an infection I didn't want to
> wait until I could get her in to our regular vet. The emergency vet
> diagnosed it as viral and not an infection, and forwarded the
> diagnosis of FCV to our vet. This was last summer; it went away in
> a week and it's never come back. But both of these viruses are
> prone to stress, so if there is stress in their life, it could
> bring on symptoms. Other than that, I don't worry about it. Just
> my experience with these. Good luck and don't beat yourself up.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, Its me and, Bella and, 'homeless' kitty...

Read this link I am sending. I think it will GREATLY help!
www.belfield.com/Brochure.pdf

K--

Steena-Feena
February 24th 07, 08:22 PM
On Feb 24, 2:02 pm, "Steena-Feena" > wrote:
> [...]
> > rough, and there have been several cases of torn eyes that have had
> > to be treated, and I thought it was the same thing, caused by
> > someone's claw. Took her to emergency because it was on a Saturday
> > afternoon (figures!) and if she had an infection I didn't want to
> > wait until I could get her in to our regular vet. The emergency vet
> > diagnosed it as viral and not an infection, and forwarded the
> > diagnosis of FCV to our vet. This was last summer; it went away in
> > a week and it's never come back. But both of these viruses are
> > prone to stress, so if there is stress in their life, it could
> > bring on symptoms. Other than that, I don't worry about it. Just
> > my experience with these. Good luck and don't beat yourself up.
>
> > --
> > Cheryl
>
> Hi Cheryl, Its me and, Bella and, 'homeless' kitty...

Also, check out The Very Healthy Cat Book by Dr. Wendall O. Belfield

sheelagh
February 25th 07, 12:49 AM
On 24 Feb, 18:34, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Sat 24 Feb 2007 12:36:11p, sheelagh wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> ps.com>:
>

> I'm happy to hear Tiggy is fine, and is isolated. Best wishes and
> purrs for her and the kits health.

Thank you, these purrs are very good for the soul & we are grateful
for them, slaves & cats alike ,lol;o)

I don't want to read too far into the situation & the fact that she is
well now is excellent news, & far better than anything I could have
hoped for when I took her in to the vets to find out how far along she
was in her pregnancy
( you don't tend to do antenatal, unless you know that your cat is
pregnant, do you?)
Silly of me entirely not to realise that she was , but I honestly
didn't notice until I found a bulge or two that I didn't anticipate,
or plan for.. how foolish!!

> As for herpes virus and calicivirus, I wouldn't worry too much
> about it if Lucy doesn't seem sick. She's probably a carrier. Not
> at all uncommon, and you've seen what a carrier can do, and you
> wouldn't want to expose kittens to her.
This was the information that we read into it too.
I have been asked to take Lucy back in two weeks to repeat the tests
that they have already done to confirm the diagnosis...
I am heart broken, but try & imagine how Tilly feels? This is her
precious cat that we are talking about here? She has been bubbling
with tears all day over it!!
I have tried to calm , cuddle & cure, but so far it hasn't had any
effect.. I am sure that time will though....
I think that when we originally got this diagnosis, or possible
diagnosis... Tilly thought that I would try & home her as fast as
possible, so that she wasn't a threat to any of our other cats....
I HAVE REASSURED HER, that I will do nothing of the sort, but we want
to know as much as possible so that we know how to treat Lucy (fur!),
with regard to things like... do we allow her to roam free anymore..is
it like letting loose a walking time bomb for other cats? Is there
anything that we can do not to take her old life away from her..? To
roam the meadow @ her leisure, to hunt, to be free?
What is best for Lucy, as opposed to what is best for Tilly....??

No one knows better than me how easy it is for your emotions to get
the better of you & allow it to cloud your judgement- the best thing
for the cat in question....
Not fun, but manageable.
I expected that................

> Scarlett and Rhett, now over 2-1/2 years old, were both very sick
> with suspected and likely herpes virus, but no tests had been done
> to confirm it - we just treated it. It was recurred for months,
> but they were young and found outside with other litter mates who
> were also sick, so they kept passing URIs between each other. At
> around 6 months old, each of them had pretty much "outgrown" it,
> but they still have goopy eyes from time to time. L-Lysine is very
> effective for FHV and sometimes has to be given for life.

I will look into L-Lysine as soon as I have finished posting Cheryl.

> FCV is something I haven't seen much of, and one day I noticed
> Scarlett with what looked like an infected lip. These guys all play
> rough, and there have been several cases of torn eyes that have had
> to be treated, and I thought it was the same thing, caused by
> someones claw. Took her to emergency because it was on a Saturday
> afternoon (figures!) and if she had an infection I didn't want to
> wait until I could get her in to our regular vet. The emergency vet
> diagnosed it as viral and not an infection, and forwarded the
> diagnosis of FCV to our vet. This was last summer; it went away in
> a week and it's never come back. But both of these viruses are
> prone to stress, so if there is stress in their life, it could
> bring on symptoms. Other than that, I don't worry about it. Just
> my experience with these. Good luck and don't beat yourself up.
> Cheryl
I will certainly try not to...<beat myself up>
Actually, I have another couple of links that you might be interested
to read too...especially if you have cats that are prone to one or the
other, or worse, Both!!

http://www.harpsie.com/cat_flu.htm

http://www.thensome.com/herpes.htm

I found both of them to be extremely helpful & hope that you do too.
Pay particular attention to the reply from Dr Margter muns as well?

I also wanted to thank K, whilst I am here , for her input too. I will
read your link shortly.

I hope that you catch your cat & that Bella will accept her in good
time.
Your main object now, is to trap her, then vet her... you only have
to worry about them getting on after you have trapped and treated her
before your kitten season starts?
(I am in the UK!)
Best of luck there, & look forward to other chats regarding her
Cheryl, do you have any photos of your slave drivers at all that you
might be able to share? I have been corresponding with you over some
time now c& would love to fit some names to the faces, as long as you
don't mind of course?
thanks for all your support, in helping me make the best of a sad
situation. I am trying not to be too upbeat, or down beat either.
You make the best of what you have and work with it, hey?
S;o)

mlbriggs
February 25th 07, 01:10 AM
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:36:11 -0800, sheelagh wrote:

> Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you with details and
> results of tests, but we had to wait for them, & I've had no PC for a
> couple of days either.
>
> After every cats swabs, blood tests, cultures, we had to wait for the
> results which were somewhat surprising, & I needed to find out what we
> could do for Tiggy, baring in mind that she has had no antenatal care,
> & results of the ultrasound tests to tell us what stage we are in her
> pregnancy too.
>
> The first shock was to find out that Lucy(fur!) is Fhv positive & the
> most probably source of infection because she is also Fcv positive
> too;o(
>
> All of the other cats white counts are more or less back to normal &
> the cultures told them that the only cat not infected at all, was
> Tiggy.
>
> Tiggy is into her 7th week of pregnancy, & the surgery were reluctant
> to abort the kitten, if there was any possible way that we could
> isolate her.
>
> This has been arranged & Tiggy has already gone to a foster home until
> the end of her confinement, & the rearing of her kittens is complete
> ( this is assuming that all goes well of course!!)
>
> They even took some amniotic fluid to see if they were viable, which
> sounded rather strange, but I believe them.
> It was hard watching Tiggy go, but I have to do what is right for the
> cat and her kittens in this instance.
>
> Tiggy is now living about a mile down the road, where there are no
> other cats or animals for her to catch or pass on any infections to.
>
> The news about Lucy is devastating though & we are not sure how to
> take it, or what the best course of action would be in her case. I
> know that there are several of you who have cats that are Fhv
> positive, but is there anyone out there who has a cat who is possitive
> to both Fhv & Fcv too?
> I would love to hear from you if you have, to hear how you cope with
> the disease & advice on the best course of action to take now,
> considering that we still have 6 other cats to take into
> consideration. The strangest thing is that we didn't think that Lucy
> was all that ill when the pandemic hit?!!
> I am still reeling a bit from the results, so any views on how to cope
> with this new unknown would be greatly appreciated indeed.
>
> I feel terribly responsible for the whole situation, & could kick
> myself for not isolating Lucy(fur!) properly when we first got her;we
> got caught up in the emotion & let our guard down, & now we all pay
> the price for it.
> Guilt is a useless feeling, so I shall set that aside now & pray for a
> good outcome. If not, I only have myself to blame here..I made the
> error...
> S.

You have our heartfelt sympathy and purrs for a favorable outcome. MLB

Lynne
February 25th 07, 02:55 AM
on Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:49:57 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> I will look into L-Lysine as soon as I have finished posting Cheryl.

Sheelagh, Levi has FHV and has been very seriously ill with it at times--
especially when he was very tiny. After he was on L-lysine for several
months, his outbreaks became milder and shorter in duration. At this
point they might even go unnoticed if he wasn't literally attached to my
lip so much of the time. Yesterday he had a few sneezes and his eyes
were just a bit watery, but today he's got absolutely no symptoms. I
plan to keep him on L-lysine indefinitely, just to be safe.

The doseage of L-lysine for cats is 500 mg per day. The most economical
formulation of L-lysine are the 500 mg capsules. I got mine at a health
food store. I open up a capsule in the morning and sprinkle half the
contents on his wet food, and then do it again in the evening. He
doesn't seem to notice the taste at all. Lysine is an enzyme and it's
harmless in the recommended doses, so I give Rudy the leftover food (when
there is any). I try to make sure the powder is on the top of the food
rather than mixing it in so I'm sure that Levi gets all or most of it.

You can get some prefilled oral syringes with a tasty paste form of L-
lysine that are certainly more convenient, but I found the price too
prohibitive.

I'm sorry to hear that Lucy(fur) has this and also FCV, and even sorrier
that your feline family was effected so severely. Thank goodness that
Tiggy is healthy, though! This makes me very happy for you, because even
though the kittens will be born and reared someplace else, you will still
get to enjoy them (just please use strict handwashing practices!).

What little I know about FCV is that it can live on surfaces outside the
body for a period of time, but not an obscene period of time. While it's
nothing like ringworm and I don't think it will be the same ordeal you
had to go through with that, you should do some research about how to
clean and prevent reinfection. Unfortunately, these viruses/diseases are
the risk we take when we keep multiple cats. What may be encouraging for
you is that Rudy has shown absolutely zero signs of having contracted FHV
from Levi, even those times when Levi was running green from every
orifice on his face. I imagine that the FCV was what ran amok with your
cats, and hopefully after this first exposure they will all have immunity
to it again. Please understand that I'm not experienced with this,
though, and haven't researched it, so definitely do some reading. I hope
you will find what you learn to be reassuring.

Sheelagh, you've really been through the mill lately. My heart goes out
to you and all of your beauties.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
February 25th 07, 02:58 AM
On Sat 24 Feb 2007 06:49:57p, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> Cheryl, do you have any photos of your slave drivers at all that
> you might be able to share? I have been corresponding with you
> over some time now c& would love to fit some names to the faces,
> as long as you don't mind of course?

Do I have pictures? LOL I have a bajillion pictures. :) I have
several online photo albums, so take your pick.

The oldest album that sort of chronicles the illness of my heart
cat, Shadow, and the introduction of Shamrock
http://pets.webshots.com/album/48246898KBEaSJ

Feral Bonnie's first album from her socialization
http://pets.webshots.com/album/75552731ngVsAM

This album chronicles Scarlett and Rhett from the time they were
kittens until recently (I need to put up new pics!)
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371497983#page1

And here is an album with more recent pictures of Shamrock and
Bonnie:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371498682

Hey, you asked for pictures, so don't blame me if you get bored. LOL

--
Cheryl

Lynne
February 25th 07, 03:16 AM
on Sun, 25 Feb 2007 01:58:17 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Hey, you asked for pictures, so don't blame me if you get bored. LOL

Hey! I remember looking at your photos a while back, but didn't put 2 and
2 together until just now. I love your Shamrock--both what you have posted
about him and his amazing good looks!! (Your other cats are wonderful,
too!)

So today I was at the shelter and met a 1 year old cat that reminded me
*someone* that I couldn't place. It was Shamrock! They even look alike.
I forgot it was Shamrock who he reminded me of, though, until just now.

He was all over me... god I wanted him, but the timing is just not right,
unfortunately. I am leaving town for a week on Thursday. Today we were
just there to visit with the cats and dogs. It was really hard to leave
him, but probably for the best since we're getting a puppy on March 31 and
that's going to be stressful enough for Levi.

He was so sweet that I have no doubt he'll be snatched up, but you can bet
I'll be checking on him. :)

--
Lynne

Cheryl
February 25th 07, 03:27 AM
On Sat 24 Feb 2007 09:16:49p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> He was so sweet that I have no doubt he'll be snatched up, but
> you can bet I'll be checking on him. :)

You're right to think about keeping the stress level down for Levi,
but you might be surprised about cats with purrsonalities like
Shamrock. He came to me as a foster cat, and I took him to
adoption shows 2x per month at PetSmarts and PetCo's per the foster
agreement. No one wanted him, though everyone oooh'd and awww'd
over his outgoing purrsonality, and how friendly he is. He wanted
to be held, and he cried and cried in his little cage and when
someone paid attention to him, he cried even more. I imagined him
screaming to people, TAKE ME HOME WITH YOU!!! GET ME OUT OF THIS
CAGE!!! I set a date that would be the last adoption show he would
go to, and if he wasn't adopted by then, he would have a
foreverhome with me. His last show, one of the employees of the pet
store we showed in wanted him. At that point I realized that I had
already decided his foster days were over, so I had to say no to
him. I got so attached to him and his affectionate ways, but as
affectionate as he was (and still is), he is also very aggressive
toward me. It's all part of who he is. That, plus his allergies
that have persisted make me glad he was never adopted. I'm not so
sure anyone could have dealt with it.

--
Cheryl

Lynne
February 25th 07, 03:52 AM
on Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:27:06 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> You're right to think about keeping the stress level down for Levi,
> but you might be surprised about cats with purrsonalities like
> Shamrock. He came to me as a foster cat, and I took him to
> adoption shows 2x per month at PetSmarts and PetCo's per the foster
> agreement. No one wanted him, though everyone oooh'd and awww'd
> over his outgoing purrsonality, and how friendly he is. He wanted
> to be held, and he cried and cried in his little cage and when
> someone paid attention to him, he cried even more. I imagined him
> screaming to people, TAKE ME HOME WITH YOU!!! GET ME OUT OF THIS
> CAGE!!!

Wow, that is just like the guy I met today. What's not to love??

But you are right, Shamrock might not have been safe with anyone other than
you. That's such a scary thought. I'll bet you feel pretty darn lucky
that he ended up being yours!

--
Lynne

MaryL
February 25th 07, 06:07 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Sat 24 Feb 2007 06:49:57p, sheelagh wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
>> Cheryl, do you have any photos of your slave drivers at all that
>> you might be able to share? I have been corresponding with you
>> over some time now c& would love to fit some names to the faces,
>> as long as you don't mind of course?
>>

> Do I have pictures? LOL I have a bajillion pictures. :) I have
> several online photo albums, so take your pick.
>
> The oldest album that sort of chronicles the illness of my heart
> cat, Shadow, and the introduction of Shamrock
> http://pets.webshots.com/album/48246898KBEaSJ
>
> Feral Bonnie's first album from her socialization
> http://pets.webshots.com/album/75552731ngVsAM
>
> This album chronicles Scarlett and Rhett from the time they were
> kittens until recently (I need to put up new pics!)
> http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371497983#page1
>
> And here is an album with more recent pictures of Shamrock and
> Bonnie:
> http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371498682
>
> Hey, you asked for pictures, so don't blame me if you get bored. LOL
>

> --
> Cheryl

Great albums, Cheryl -- a pictorial history of your owners.

Some of Bonnie's pictures always remind me of Holly.

MaryL

bookie
February 25th 07, 07:38 PM
On 25 Feb, 01:58, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Sat 24 Feb 2007 06:49:57p, sheelagh wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
> > Cheryl, do you have any photos of your slave drivers at all that
> > you might be able to share? I have been corresponding with you
> > over some time now c& would love to fit some names to the faces,
> > as long as you don't mind of course?
>
> Do I have pictures? LOL I have a bajillion pictures. :) I have
> several online photo albums, so take your pick.
>
> The oldest album that sort of chronicles the illness of my heart
> cat, Shadow, and the introduction of Shamrockhttp://pets.webshots.com/album/48246898KBEaSJ
>
> Feral Bonnie's first album from her socializationhttp://pets.webshots.com/album/75552731ngVsAM
>
> This album chronicles Scarlett and Rhett from the time they were
> kittens until recently (I need to put up new pics!)http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371497983#page1
>
> And here is an album with more recent pictures of Shamrock and
> Bonnie:http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371498682
>
> Hey, you asked for pictures, so don't blame me if you get bored. LOL
>
> --
> Cheryl

i have only looked at the first album but I can see how lovely they
all are, shadow looked gorgeous, what was the operation for?

also scarlett and rhett are lovely too, such pretty little faces, and
so bright eyed too, I bet they love blowing raspberries at that dumb
dog from next door. what a gorgeous family.

i particularly like the wondow sticker showing that there are cats
inthe house should there be a fire, too often i think people are
rescued and noone knows there are animals still in there, or just just
do not think to check. If my house burnt down (god forbid) and my
jessie was stuck inside and died inthe blaze I would rather then I had
died in there with her instead of having to go on without her,
although if i was conscious and able to get out myself she is the
first thing i would grab obviously, everything else can go up in
smoke.

will look at the other albums now

bookie

bookie
February 25th 07, 08:03 PM
On 25 Feb, 01:58, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Sat 24 Feb 2007 06:49:57p, sheelagh wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
> > Cheryl, do you have any photos of your slave drivers at all that
> > you might be able to share? I have been corresponding with you
> > over some time now c& would love to fit some names to the faces,
> > as long as you don't mind of course?
>
> Do I have pictures? LOL I have a bajillion pictures. :) I have
> several online photo albums, so take your pick.
>
> The oldest album that sort of chronicles the illness of my heart
> cat, Shadow, and the introduction of Shamrockhttp://pets.webshots.com/album/48246898KBEaSJ
>
> Feral Bonnie's first album from her socializationhttp://pets.webshots.com/album/75552731ngVsAM
>
> This album chronicles Scarlett and Rhett from the time they were
> kittens until recently (I need to put up new pics!)http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371497983#page1
>
> And here is an album with more recent pictures of Shamrock and
> Bonnie:http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371498682
>
> Hey, you asked for pictures, so don't blame me if you get bored. LOL
>
> --
> Cheryl

bonnie is gorgeous too! those big eyes! that sleek black fur! she is
just lovely.

that cat tree looks like fun too, lots of different height platforms
for observing the world from.
what happebned to bonnie's ear then that the tip was missing?

sheelagh
February 25th 07, 09:53 PM
On 25 Feb, 01:58, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Sat 24 Feb 2007 06:49:57p, sheelagh wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
> > Cheryl, do you have any photos of your slave drivers at all that
> > you might be able to share? I have been corresponding with you
> > over some time now c& would love to fit some names to the faces,
> > as long as you don't mind of course?
>
> Do I have pictures? LOL I have a bajillion pictures. :) I have
> several online photo albums, so take your pick.
>
> The oldest album that sort of chronicles the illness of my heart
> cat, Shadow, and the introduction of Shamrockhttp://pets.webshots.com/album/48246898KBEaSJ
>
> Feral Bonnie's first album from her socializationhttp://pets.webshots.com/album/75552731ngVsAM
>
> This album chronicles Scarlett and Rhett from the time they were
> kittens until recently (I need to put up new pics!)http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371497983#page1
>
> And here is an album with more recent pictures of Shamrock and
> Bonnie:http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371498682
>
> Hey, you asked for pictures, so don't blame me if you get bored. LOL
>
> --
> Cheryl

Thank you for sharing those photos with us. It helps build a mental
image of the person with whom you speak to, without the need to meet
them directly.
( I wonder if that makes any sense to you?)
I didn't get bored at all, it gives you a real insight to the
relationship that you share with your cats too.
My youngest child, Tilly, now 10years old, sat behind me the other day
whilst I was sorting my cat photos out & piped up with..."you know
what Mum, the best way that we can get you take a photo of us, is to
pick one of the cats up, then you take photos all day"....!!

I didn't know whether to feel ashamed, or plain old embarrassed, lol,
because unless I am taking photos of the kids for a reason, she is
right....
She smiled, so I thought the best thing to do was smile with her and
admit my faults & give her a big cuddle to show her that I aoppeciate
her so much, lol...

Great Photos, I didn't get bored at all, to be honest, I enjoyed
looking at them, & I agree with Mary, she looks ever so much like
Holly does.
Solid Black & a touch of exotic in her linage somewhere down the
line.. what do you think?
Thanks!
S;o)

sheelagh
February 25th 07, 10:28 PM
On 25 Feb, 01:55, Lynne > wrote:
> on Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:49:57 GMT, "sheelagh"
>
> > wrote:
> > I will look into L-Lysine as soon as I have finished posting Cheryl.
>
> Sheelagh, Levi has FHV and has been very seriously ill with it at times--
> especially when he was very tiny. After he was on L-lysine for several
> months, his outbreaks became milder and shorter in duration. At this
> point they might even go unnoticed if he wasn't literally attached to my
> lip so much of the time. Yesterday he had a few sneezes and his eyes
> were just a bit watery, but today he's got absolutely no symptoms. I
> plan to keep him on L-lysine indefinitely, just to be safe.
>
> The doseage of L-lysine for cats is 500 mg per day. The most economical
> formulation of L-lysine are the 500 mg capsules. I got mine at a health
> food store. I open up a capsule in the morning and sprinkle half the
> contents on his wet food, and then do it again in the evening. He
> doesn't seem to notice the taste at all. Lysine is an enzyme and it's
> harmless in the recommended doses, so I give Rudy the leftover food (when
> there is any). I try to make sure the powder is on the top of the food
> rather than mixing it in so I'm sure that Levi gets all or most of it.
>
> You can get some prefilled oral syringes with a tasty paste form of L-
> lysine that are certainly more convenient, but I found the price too
> prohibitive.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that Lucy(fur) has this and also FCV, and even sorrier
> that your feline family was effected so severely. Thank goodness that
> Tiggy is healthy, though! This makes me very happy for you, because even
> though the kittens will be born and reared someplace else, you will still
> get to enjoy them (just please use strict handwashing practices!).
>
> What little I know about FCV is that it can live on surfaces outside the
> body for a period of time, but not an obscene period of time. While it's
> nothing like ringworm and I don't think it will be the same ordeal you
> had to go through with that, you should do some research about how to
> clean and prevent reinfection. Unfortunately, these viruses/diseases are
> the risk we take when we keep multiple cats. What may be encouraging for
> you is that Rudy has shown absolutely zero signs of having contracted FHV
> from Levi, even those times when Levi was running green from every
> orifice on his face. I imagine that the FCV was what ran amok with your
> cats, and hopefully after this first exposure they will all have immunity
> to it again. Please understand that I'm not experienced with this,
> though, and haven't researched it, so definitely do some reading. I hope
> you will find what you learn to be reassuring.
>
> Sheelagh, you've really been through the mill lately. My heart goes out
> to you and all of your beauties.
>
> --
> Lynne

Hi Lynne,
Thank you for telling me about Levis & the Lysine. Is it 500mg for all
cats, or according to weight/per allowance amount?
I have been doing a bit of research & it does prove to be the best
supplement that I can offer her by far. I notice that the cheapest
place to buy it is in a Health Shop that we have over here called
Holland & Barret. I will get some whilst in town tomorrow.. I have to
take Paul to the hospital for a regular eye test for glaucoma.
It helps to talk to other people who have been through this sort of
thing. You know that the advice that they give you normally comes
tried and tested & with good common sense added to it for measure.
The Fcv is slightly different though. It looks like she will be a
carrier for life & will continue to shed throughout her life.. which
in itself is not a terrible thing as long as she doesn't come into
contact with any vulnerable cats/kitten.
I have spent the day wondering whether to start thinking about turning
her into a an indoor cat only.
as you know, when we first got Lucy(Fur!), it was when she was in a
terrible condition, with that old collar that was growing into her
neck because it was too small. She was riddled with flea's, & she was
battling a terrible infection with a huge abscess around her neck too.
She wouldn't allow any of us near her, & in the end submitted to
Tilly, our daughter, with whom she has become firm friends for life.
I ask myself 2 questions.

1: When the vet spayed her, we had a full panel of bloods done, & I
was told that she had no problems at all...?(& paid for, because I
have bill in front of me.. but no break down on the results at the
time...?!)
Odd, wouldn't you say?

2:From what I read, a carrier of Fvc continues to shed throughout
their life. they can't help it, but it does make me wonder if it would
be irresponsible of me to not convert her into a inside only cat?
The reason I ask this is because Lucy(fur!), has ALWAYS been our most
happy when she is an allowed out cat.
Would it be unfair on Lucy to inflict this upon her?
I feel that it would probably be the best idea, rather than infect
other vulnerable cats.. but on the other hand, there must be
gazillions of cats out there with it, & no one seems to be aware of
the potential havoc it can wreck out there? Up until the latest avian
flu issue became a debate in the UK recently, she has been allow to
come and go more or less as she pleased... now I wonder what would be
best to do, & for whom?

Hand washing has just become a major issue here, & we are ALL TRYING
TO ENSURE THAT WE ALL FOLLOW THE GOLDEN RULE,
I have bought some Hibiscrub, which is a hand-washing brand that kills
all germs dead on the spot & we have a bottle next to every sink too,
so no excuses from here on.
We have decided that the less physical contact that we have with
Tiggy, the better of she and her kittens will be...
It's a bit sad, but OTOH, it's not the end of the world, & it more
important to us that she has nice healthy kittens, than us getting the
chance to pet them & possibly infect them~ That would be heart
breaking, wouldn't it?
S;o)
We can see her via web cam every day if we wish to;o)

sheelagh
February 25th 07, 10:37 PM
On 25 Feb, 18:38, "bookie" > wrote:
> On 25 Feb, 01:58, Cheryl > wrote:
>

> > On Sat 24 Feb 2007 06:49:57p, sheelagh wrote in
> > rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> > oups.com>:
>
> > > Cheryl, do you have any photos of your slave drivers at all that
> > > you might be able to share? I have been corresponding with you
> > > over some time now c& would love to fit some names to the faces,
> > > as long as you don't mind of course?
>
> > Do I have pictures? LOL I have a bajillion pictures. :) I have
> > several online photo albums, so take your pick.
>
> > The oldest album that sort of chronicles the illness of my heart
> > cat, Shadow, and the introduction of Shamrockhttp://pets.webshots.com/album/48246898KBEaSJ
>
> > Feral Bonnie's first album from her socializationhttp://pets.webshots.com/album/75552731ngVsAM
>
> > This album chronicles Scarlett and Rhett from the time they were
> > kittens until recently (I need to put up new pics!)http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371497983#page1
>
> > And here is an album with more recent pictures of Shamrock and
> > Bonnie:http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shambondow/album/576460762371498682
>
> > Hey, you asked for pictures, so don't blame me if you get bored. LOL
>
> > --
> > Cheryl
>
> i have only looked at the first album but I can see how lovely they
> all are, shadow looked gorgeous, what was the operation for?
>
> also scarlett and rhett are lovely too, such pretty little faces, and
> so bright eyed too, I bet they love blowing raspberries at that dumb
> dog from next door. what a gorgeous family.
>
> i particularly like the wondow sticker showing that there are cats
> inthe house should there be a fire, too often i think people are
> rescued and noone knows there are animals still in there, or just just
> do not think to check. If my house burnt down (god forbid) and my
> jessie was stuck inside and died inthe blaze I would rather then I had
> died in there with her instead of having to go on without her,
> although if i was conscious and able to get out myself she is the
> first thing i would grab obviously, everything else can go up in
> smoke.
>
> will look at the other albums now
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

OT:
2 things, the photos of Jessie were brilliant too by the way. I missed
them, but then saw a referral regarding them., & I went back to have a
look & there they were.
My she is such a regal girl, isn't she? I think you could be right
about the aging too. She looks Purrfect, & I would *Never* have
guessed her age either.

(we don't want to speak to loudly of these things because we don't
like to upset her, do we?)
And, the other thing was I agree with you so much- we had a house fire
just over 4years ago, & the firemen went straight back into the house
& grabbed both mother and kittens, before even attempting to put the
fire out...
Well done to them I say... you can replace material things, but not
lives, can you?
S;o)

bookie
February 26th 07, 01:10 AM
> Well done to them I say... you can replace material things, but not
> lives, can you?
> S;o)-

exactly! and as most pets are part of the family i woudl be devastated
if someone didn't bother to try and save their animals. i always think
that humans know how to open doors and windows etc but cats and dogs
dont; and they dont; always know which is the way out, can't read
signs which say FIRE EXIT etc and will get really scared and panic and
get hurt or die.
all just part of the same idea that we are responsible for the animals
we bring into our homes and not just ignore that responsibility when
we feel like it. pets l;ook to us for protection and care and we owe
it to them so much for the love and companionship they give us. make
me so angry we peo9ple abuse an animals trust and shirk their
responsibilities.

which reminds me i have to go out now and look for a cat which
apparantly some people have left behind when they moved away from a
house nearby. Local cats protection rang this evening and asked if I
coudl go round and the owners about to move are worried about it and
found it when they went round to see the empty previously but they are
not moving in for a while and live too far away to feed it themselves.
can't believe some people would just move and leave a cat behind, how
cruel.

bookie

bookie
February 26th 07, 01:13 AM
> 1: When the vet spayed her, we had a full panel of bloods done, & I
> was told that she had no problems at all...?(& paid for, because I
> have bill in front of me.. but no break down on the results at the
> time...?!)
> Odd, wouldn't you say?

not odd at all if the vet in question was that totally useless woman
who nearly let Lilly die, wouldn't surprise me if cocked up the tests
and/or the results

sheelagh
February 26th 07, 08:04 PM
> not odd at all if the vet in question was that totally useless woman
> who nearly let Lilly die, wouldn't surprise me if cocked up the tests
> and/or the results..

It was the same vet. she was the one that came out to see her here
just before Xmas I believe. At the time, I was so grateful to her
because she shaved her , removed the terrible restricting collar,
injected her with antibiotics,,stitched her neck back up after
treating her for the abscess it had caused.... that I was too grateful
to even question that there might be something amiss.

She also didn't charge me for coming out that day, or for the call out
fee either. I only paid for the drugs & bandaging, & the Elizabeethan
collar to stop Lucy going for her stitches...

When someone shows you a kindness like that, you don't like to quibble
about the bill, do you?

It wasn't until I took her back to get her spayed after she recovered
from the collar incident, that I asked her to do a full blood panel to
tell us if there were any hidden nasty bits that we might need to know
about.
The panel; of bloods was done after she had the spay, & I can remember
asking her if there was anything that I needed to be concerned about,
I also distinctly asking if there was any concern, & she said, NONE!!?
I never thought to question it at all... Would you?
I now regret that of course.
Paul went down there today, & just asked the receptionist if she
wouldn't mind sending us out a copy of that report, blaming me for
loosing it...& just telling her that we needed it for our records with
regard to re homing her...
I don't care what he told her really, as long as we get a repeat copy
of it..!

I want to read a breakdown of the bloods that she did then, so that I
can question why that wasn't pointed out to us then @ that time,
rather than finding out now, the hard way.
It is not about revenge or ammunition, I just want to know why it
wasn't picked up then?
It was a very hard way to find out, when the price was almost the life
of Lilly & the death of all of Belle's kittens
S..
PS; Saw Tiggy today via web cam just lying flat on her back with all
four legs in the air in a begging position..fast asleep on one of her
best armchairs..
So she looks very well settled indeed. although we miss her, I am ever
so pleased to see that she is comfortable enough to expose herself in
a position like that..it shows us that she is relaxed, & that means a
lot to us. I am glad that she seems happy
S;o)

Cheryl
February 27th 07, 02:15 AM
On Sun 25 Feb 2007 01:38:39p, bookie wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> i have only looked at the first album but I can see how lovely
> they all are, shadow looked gorgeous, what was the operation
> for?

That operation was for a botched feeding tube removal by an inept
vet. A specialist, no less. I should have sued, but I had too much
going on with dealing with his illness, then he was infected with
FeLV by a transfusion following that surgery, too, then my son
(only child) died in a car accident and I had no energy for a
malpractice suit.

> also scarlett and rhett are lovely too, such pretty little
> faces, and so bright eyed too, I bet they love blowing
> raspberries at that dumb dog from next door. what a gorgeous
> family.

Oh, they weren't afraid of her, though their tails puffed up. They
weren't frightened enough from her barking to run them indoors, but
I'm sure they had no idea WTF was making all that noise. LOL
Actually, Jasmine got through my falling down fence, but there's no
way she could get to the cats in the enclosure.

> i particularly like the wondow sticker showing that there are
> cats inthe house should there be a fire, too often i think
> people are rescued and noone knows there are animals still in
> there, or just just do not think to check. If my house burnt
> down (god forbid) and my jessie was stuck inside and died inthe
> blaze I would rather then I had died in there with her instead
> of having to go on without her, although if i was conscious and
> able to get out myself she is the first thing i would grab
> obviously, everything else can go up in smoke.

A huge fear of mine, too. That sticker is all faded now, so it
needs reprinting. Good reminder here to do that.

I didn't reply to your thread of Jesse pictures, but she's
gorgeous. I just love her splotchy face marks and her multi-colored
striped tail. So unusual!

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
February 27th 07, 02:18 AM
On Sun 25 Feb 2007 03:53:40p, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> I didn't know whether to feel ashamed, or plain old embarrassed,
> lol, because unless I am taking photos of the kids for a reason,
> she is right....
> She smiled, so I thought the best thing to do was smile with her
> and admit my faults & give her a big cuddle to show her that I
> aoppeciate her so much, lol...

Your Tilly is very insightful! LOL Cats make such good subjects.
Kids do, too, so I hope you got the hint. ;)

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
February 27th 07, 02:19 AM
On Mon 26 Feb 2007 02:04:59p, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ps.com>:

> PS; Saw Tiggy today via web cam just lying flat on her back with
> all four legs in the air in a begging position..fast asleep on
> one of her best armchairs..
> So she looks very well settled indeed. although we miss her, I
> am ever so pleased to see that she is comfortable enough to
> expose herself in a position like that..it shows us that she is
> relaxed, & that means a lot to us. I am glad that she seems
> happy

She sure sounds content, and I'm sure that must sting, but they're so
resiliant and can adjust. You're doing the right thing for her and
the kittens.

--
Cheryl

sheelagh
February 27th 07, 03:03 PM
On 27 Feb, 01:18, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Sun 25 Feb 2007 03:53:40p, sheelagh wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> ups.com>:
>
> > I didn't know whether to feel ashamed, or plain old embarrassed,
> > lol, because unless I am taking photos of the kids for a reason,
> > she is right....
> > She smiled, so I thought the best thing to do was smile with her
> > and admit my faults & give her a big cuddle to show her that I
> > appreciate her so much, lol...
>
> Your Tilly is very insightful! LOL Cats make such good subjects.
> Kids do, too, so I hope you got the hint. ;)
>
> --
> Cheryl

I certainly did;o)

I love taking photos of them all. The best one's are those which come
from natural poses. ie:Not when you ask them to pose, more when you
catch them doing something that is unique to them only.. whether it be
chewing the end of a pencil during homework, or pulling a face at the
thought of cabbage for dinner. The same applies to the cats too.
Catching the character is a major issue in each photo.

Your right, Tilly is very wise for her years. She is the youngest of
5children, with 3big brothers still @ home, so she is very good @
sitting back listening, then learning from them too.( Crafty little
madam!!)
She goes to have dinner with her grandma every Sunday, because my mum
gives her a bit of female time & a huge Sunday roast, all just for
her.
Very resourceful, hey?

I have also noticed recently, that she has been learning to take
photos too. In this day and age, digital cameras are great for things
like that. When I was a child, I wasn't allowed near the camera in
case I either wasted the film, or did something to the camera- you
don't get these problems with a digital camera though, & she can
practise all she likes..I actively encourage it in fact. Photography
for me, is all about capturing a memory & keeping it for life
S;o)

cindys
February 27th 07, 03:21 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Sun 25 Feb 2007 01:38:39p, bookie wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> ups.com>:
>
>> i have only looked at the first album but I can see how lovely
>> they all are, shadow looked gorgeous, what was the operation
>> for?
>>
> That operation was for a botched feeding tube removal by an inept
> vet. A specialist, no less. I should have sued, but I had too much
> going on with dealing with his illness, then he was infected with
> FeLV by a transfusion following that surgery, too, then my son
> (only child) died in a car accident and I had no energy for a
> malpractice suit.
------------
Cheryl, I'm so sorry.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

sheelagh
February 27th 07, 03:41 PM
> That operation was for a botched feeding tube removal by an inept
> vet. A specialist, no less. I should have sued, but I had too much
> going on with dealing with his illness, then he was infected with
> FeLV by a transfusion following that surgery, too, then my son
> (only child) died in a car accident and I had no energy for a
> malpractice suit.

Gosh!! I had no idea... I am so sorry to hear that you went through
all of that. Even one of those issues is traumatic enough, but to
juggle all 3, must have been so difficult for you. I admire your
tenacity, & I'm so proud to hear that you have got through it.Our
purrs present peace to you Cheryl

How long did it take for your poor cat to recover from that? It must
have been terrible for you @ the time?

It seem so wrong that people can just do procedures to our pets, muck
up, yet get away with it, doesn't it?

I was agonising over whether to do anything about poor Lilly's
treatment @ the vet surgery that I sent her to, & I have decided to go
ahead.
I didn't want to at first because @ least we brought her home
again...but the more I thought about it, the more I realised that it
was possibly luck alone that saved Lilly...

She did not get the care that she deserved. She was left for over 36
hours within a closed premises where we had no access to her, She was
left on a drip, with no one in attendance to treat her if it tissued,
or worse, caused a thrombosis, & when we picked her up, we were told
that she didn't have flu, because she was inoculated...all of which
were wrong!
Lynne was the one who got me to see the practicalities...I got her
home first, then to another surgery straight away, which did care for
her needs, & that included us as her prime carer's too. Once that was
sorted, we checked out the legalities of it(courtesy of Bookie!!)..
& we have just filled a complaint against her, in the hope that it
never happens to another family and their beloved pet. Money is of no
issue here.
The bill is paid, but the fear is still there.It won't happen to me
again because I now know better, but it could happen to someone else,
& it is that , that I wish to avoid.

> > also scarlett and rhett are lovely too, such pretty little
> > faces, and so bright eyed too, I bet they love blowing
> > raspberries at that dumb dog from next door. what a gorgeous
> > family.
They are, I agree;o)

> Oh, they weren't afraid of her, though their tails puffed up. They
> weren't frightened enough from her barking to run them indoors, but
> I'm sure they had no idea WTF was making all that noise. LOL
> Actually, Jasmine got through my falling down fence, but there's no
> way she could get to the cats in the enclosure.

It must have wrankled her fur, lol?

> > i particularly like the wondow sticker showing that there are
> > cats inthe house should there be a fire, too often i think
> > people are rescued and noone knows there are animals still in
> > there, or just just do not think to check. If my house burnt
> > down (god forbid) and my jessie was stuck inside and died inthe
> > blaze I would rather then I had died in there with her instead
> > of having to go on without her, although if i was conscious and
> > able to get out myself she is the first thing i would grab
> > obviously, everything else can go up in smoke.
>
> A huge fear of mine, too. That sticker is all faded now, so it
> needs reprinting. Good reminder here to do that.

I agree. In our case, we had no stickers, but as soon as the brigade
arrived, we told them that there was a mother & kittens in the top
floor bedroom at the front of the house, & they went flying up there,
& brought both her and her kittens out. They were all treated with
oxygen because they were floppy & unresponsive with smoke inhalation.
After 5mintutes of that, they were perked up & back to normal.

The kitchen was gutted by fire, but that didn't matter, because you
can replace kitchens, but you can't replace your nearest & dearest.
We went round to the fire brigade later that week & took them some
biscuits that my mother had made to say thank you to them for putting
our cats first. They didn't have to, but they did!

S;o)

bookie
February 27th 07, 04:21 PM

> That operation was for a botched feeding tube removal by an inept
> vet. A specialist, no less. I should have sued, but I had too much
> going on with dealing with his illness, then he was infected with
> FeLV by a transfusion following that surgery, too, then my son
> (only child) died in a car accident and I had no energy for a
> malpractice suit.

oh god, trhat all sounds awful, i know how that feels when you have no
energy to fight anymore and it won't bring the person you miss back
will it? your cats are there to heal the wounds left by all this,
their cuddles and head butts are better than all the lawsuits and
therapy money can buy

bookie

Cheryl
February 28th 07, 03:37 AM
On Tue 27 Feb 2007 09:21:14a, cindys wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:45e43e74$0$28089
>:

> Cheryl, I'm so sorry.

Thank you. It's been just over 4 years now.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
February 28th 07, 03:57 AM
On Tue 27 Feb 2007 10:21:49a, bookie wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> oh god, trhat all sounds awful, i know how that feels when you
> have no energy to fight anymore and it won't bring the person
> you miss back will it? your cats are there to heal the wounds
> left by all this, their cuddles and head butts are better than
> all the lawsuits and therapy money can buy

That they do, Bookie. When I described Shadow as my "heart cat", he
knew when I was in dispair from my loss, and he would headbutt me and
sort of screech at me while bumping my face with his as if trying to
sing to me since he couldn't meow any more. Every time I cried, he
came running to me, and this was a cat that didn't used to be
affectionate.

--
Cheryl

bookie
February 28th 07, 05:10 AM
On 27 Feb, 14:41, "sheelagh" > wrote:

> I was agonising over whether to do anything about poor Lilly's
> treatment @ the vet surgery that I sent her to, & I have decided to go
> ahead.
> I didn't want to at first because @ least we brought her home
> again...but the more I thought about it, the more I realised that it
> was possibly luck alone that saved Lilly...

good i am glad you are going to do something, and you have the back up
of your new vet too remember? it is really necessary you do something
and complain for the sake of other animals and pets who may not be as
lucky as Lilly was.

if anyone accuses you of trying to do it for the money tell them to
sod off, it is not about the money it is about makgin sure it never
happens again to any other poor animal.

> She did not get the care that she deserved. She was left for over 36
> hours within a closed premises where we had no access to her, She was
> left on a drip, with no one in attendance to treat her if it tissued,
> or worse, caused a thrombosis, & when we picked her up, we were told
> that she didn't have flu, because she was inoculated...all of which
> were wrong!

the incompetence of that vet just scares me, the royal college of vet
surgeons need to know about this woman asap as she is endangering
other animals by still practising. if it were a human she had
mistreated or neglected like that there would be uproar and she would
be struck off. lets hope the RCVS come down on her like a ton of
bricks.
everytime i read about poor lilly left inthat surgery without anyone
to care for her it just breaks my heart

bookie