PDA

View Full Version : Child gate that lets a cat through?

Elijah
February 25th 07, 07:37 PM
We just installed a wooden swinging gate at the top of our stairs so
our toddler doesn't roll down. Problem is the cat can't get over it.
Are there gates that cats can get through but kids can't? Any
suggestions on how to find one or engineer the one we have?

---MIKE---
February 25th 07, 10:11 PM
When I first got Tiger I installed a child gate at the doorway to the
spare bedroom to keep him isolated from Amber. It took about ten
seconds for him to climb over the gate. Maybe your cat can do the same.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Gail Futoran
February 25th 07, 11:26 PM
"Elijah" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We just installed a wooden swinging gate at the top of our stairs so
> our toddler doesn't roll down. Problem is the cat can't get over
> it.
> Are there gates that cats can get through but kids can't? Any
> suggestions on how to find one or engineer the one we have?

If you go to www.drsfostersmith.com and
search on "pet gate" you'll find several options.

There may be other sources online or in brick
& mortar stores. I mention drsfostersmith
because that's where I've seen the gates.

Gail F.

AZ Nomad
February 26th 07, 12:04 AM
On 25 Feb 2007 10:37:07 -0800, Elijah > wrote:

>We just installed a wooden swinging gate at the top of our stairs so
>our toddler doesn't roll down. Problem is the cat can't get over it.
>Are there gates that cats can get through but kids can't? Any
>suggestions on how to find one or engineer the one we have?

Why can't the cat get over it? Kitty 20 years old?

Yowie
February 26th 07, 01:55 AM
"Elijah" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We just installed a wooden swinging gate at the top of our stairs so
> our toddler doesn't roll down. Problem is the cat can't get over it.
> Are there gates that cats can get through but kids can't? Any
> suggestions on how to find one or engineer the one we have?

My cat goes *through* the baby gate without a problem. Thats why I picked
it. The vertical struts are wide enough apart that the cat can go through
easily, but dog and child cannot.

Yowie

Magic Mood JeepŠ
February 26th 07, 02:28 AM
In ,
Gail Futoran purred:
> "Elijah" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> We just installed a wooden swinging gate at the top of our stairs so
>> our toddler doesn't roll down. Problem is the cat can't get over
>> it.
>> Are there gates that cats can get through but kids can't? Any
>> suggestions on how to find one or engineer the one we have?
>
> If you go to www.drsfostersmith.com and
> search on "pet gate" you'll find several options.
>
> There may be other sources online or in brick
> & mortar stores. I mention drsfostersmith
> because that's where I've seen the gates.
>
> Gail F.

I have one from them - but not the version with the 'kitty door' in them,
although it was tempting... but my cats need the exercise they get by
jumping over it anyway.

Rhonda
February 26th 07, 03:32 AM
AZ Nomad wrote:
> On 25 Feb 2007 10:37:07 -0800, Elijah > wrote:
>
>>We just installed a wooden swinging gate at the top of our stairs so
>>our toddler doesn't roll down. Problem is the cat can't get over it.
>>Are there gates that cats can get through but kids can't? Any
>>suggestions on how to find one or engineer the one we have?
>
> Why can't the cat get over it? Kitty 20 years old?

I would guess because it's at the top of the stairs.

Rhonda

-L.
February 26th 07, 11:26 AM
Elijah wrote:
> We just installed a wooden swinging gate at the top of our stairs so
> our toddler doesn't roll down. Problem is the cat can't get over it.
> Are there gates that cats can get through but kids can't? Any
> suggestions on how to find one or engineer the one we have?

Get a gate with a plastic mesh/grate and cut a cat-sized hole in the
bottom of it.

-L.