PDA

View Full Version : Kitten and mother fighting

February 26th 07, 02:02 PM
Hi all,

Last year our cat gave birth to four healthy kittens. Because a
friend's cat had problems nursing her kittens and most of them died we
adopted the last survivor. Our queen took great care of all five
kitten, even the adoptive one. Four were given away after 12 weeks,
and one girl stayed behind. The two loved each other dearly and when
the mother developed mastitis and had to be kept separate for a few
weeks it was heartbreaking watching the two of them trying to keep
contact by sticking their paws underneath the door and playing with
each other. Even when our queen was spayed they still got along great.

But in the last few months things have changed. The mother will growl
and run from the daughter and the daughter will try and attack the
mother. Mostly they keep out of each other's way, but it almost seems
like the daughter is still trying to deliberately wind up her mother,
who seems to be afraid of her.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that the daughter has not
yet been spayed? Could it be that the kitten's father (who is still
visiting) is/has been making advances towards his own daughter? Is it
jealousy? Is there anything we can do to help our cats get along
again? It's quite difficult to fuss one cat, only to have the other
walk out in a huff or run away scared as soon as she sees it.

Thanks

Sherry
February 26th 07, 03:11 PM
On Feb 26, 8:02?am, wrote:
> Hi all,

snipped
....The mother will growl
> and run from the daughter and the daughter will try and attack the
> mother. Mostly they keep out of each other's way, but it almost seems
> like the daughter is still trying to deliberately wind up her mother,
> who seems to be afraid of her.
>
> Could this have anything to do with the fact that the daughter has not
> yet been spayed?

I think that contributes. I've fostered pregnant females before and in
*that* experience, the unspayed cats were much more combative,
especially toward each other. At the time I thought it was probably a
hormone thing. They fought each other, each other's kittens, their own
kittens. We called them the Unwed Mothers from Hell.

Could it be that the kitten's father (who is still
> visiting) is/has been making advances towards his own daughter?

Well, if he's hanging around, and his daughter is old enough, yes.
Cats don't make those kind of distinctions.

Is it
> jealousy? Is there anything we can do to help our cats get along
> again? It's quite difficult to fuss one cat, only to have the other
> walk out in a huff or run away scared as soon as she sees it.

Have you ever tried Feliway? Some people just swear by it when they've
got bickering cats. I haven't ever tried it, and it's pretty
expensive, but you might do a google search and see what you think.
Good luck!

Sherry

> Thanks

Lynne
February 27th 07, 02:49 AM
on Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:11:18 GMT, "Sherry" > wrote:

> Have you ever tried Feliway? Some people just swear by it when they've
> got bickering cats. I haven't ever tried it, and it's pretty
> expensive, but you might do a google search and see what you think.
> Good luck!

I would suggest spaying the young female, too.

--
Lynne

Sherry
February 27th 07, 04:34 AM
On Feb 26, 8:49�pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:11:18 GMT, "Sherry" > wrote:
>
> > Have you ever tried Feliway? Some people just swear by it when they've
> > got bickering cats. *I haven't ever tried it, and it's pretty
> > expensive, but you might do a google search and see what *you think.
> > Good luck!
>
> I would suggest spaying the young female, too.
>
> --
> Lynne

Oh, absolutely. Good catch.

Sherry

Phelyan
February 27th 07, 11:33 AM
On Feb 27, 4:34 am, "Sherry" > wrote:
> On Feb 26, 8:49?pm, Lynne > wrote:
>
> > on Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:11:18 GMT, "Sherry" > wrote:
>
> > > Have you ever tried Feliway? Some people just swear by it when they've
> > > got bickering cats. I haven't ever tried it, and it's pretty
> > > expensive, but you might do a google search and see what you think.
> > > Good luck!
>
> > I would suggest spaying the young female, too.
>
> > --
> > Lynne
>
> Oh, absolutely. Good catch.
>
> Sherry

Yes, the plan is to have her done as soon as possible. Thanks, that
confirmed our suspicions.