PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please

\kls\
February 27th 07, 10:03 PM
I'm in the UK. Mum's cat Molly has always been picky on what she eats. She
is 10 and was a rescue cat at about 18 months after having kittens and then
being spayed. She has always been fed on wet Whiskas with Jelly, preferring
the beef variety until recently! A few weeks ago, she started turning her
nose up at the beef and stalking off. Mum has tried her with all the
different wet foods and sometimes she eats them and sometimes not.

On Sunday she sat in her usual place waiting to be fed and Mum tried three
different varieties of canned (not all Whiskas), all of which Molly refused
to eat. Mum tried her on Whiskas dry and she ate a half bowl yesterday,
but today she has refused to eat anything, only licking the jelly or gravy
and not touching any dry food.

She seems to be in good health and acting normally apart from not eating.
Mum is ringing the vet in the morning for an appointment but I was hoping
someone might be able to advise what might be going on.

Thanks in advance

Karen :)

sheelagh
February 27th 07, 10:22 PM
On 27 Feb, 22:03, "\"kls\"" > wrote:
> I'm in the UK. Mum's cat Molly has always been picky on what she eats. She
> is 10 and was a rescue cat at about 18 months after having kittens and then
> being spayed. She has always been fed on wet Whiskas with Jelly, preferring
> the beef variety until recently! A few weeks ago, she started turning her
> nose up at the beef and stalking off. Mum has tried her with all the
> different wet foods and sometimes she eats them and sometimes not.
>
> On Sunday she sat in her usual place waiting to be fed and Mum tried three
> different varieties of canned (not all Whiskas), all of which Molly refused
> to eat. Mum tried her on Whiskas dry and she ate a half bowl yesterday,
> but today she has refused to eat anything, only licking the jelly or gravy
> and not touching any dry food.
>
> She seems to be in good health and acting normally apart from not eating.
> Mum is ringing the vet in the morning for an appointment but I was hoping
> someone might be able to advise what might be going on.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Karen :)

I am not sure that I can give you any advice... You sound like you are
doing the best thing that you can do for her, which is to take her to
the vet.
You would be shocked at how many people ask the same question as you
do, but It doesn't occour to them to take their cat to the most
obvious place they need to be, which is, there....

By the sounds of things, kitty has a problem. It could be anything, so
I wouldn't like to speculate on that one.

When a cat stops eating, it is telling you that there is a problem
somewhere.
Cats can't talk,. more is the pity....
If they could, our lives would be so much easier...!!

I wish your mum the best of luck for tomorrow, & it would be really
nice if you call by to tell us how she got on with Puss cat?
Thank you!
S;o)

bookie
February 28th 07, 12:51 AM
On 27 Feb, 22:03, "\"kls\"" > wrote:
> I'm in the UK. Mum's cat Molly has always been picky on what she eats. She
> is 10 and was a rescue cat at about 18 months after having kittens and then
> being spayed. She has always been fed on wet Whiskas with Jelly, preferring
> the beef variety until recently! A few weeks ago, she started turning her
> nose up at the beef and stalking off. Mum has tried her with all the
> different wet foods and sometimes she eats them and sometimes not.
>
> On Sunday she sat in her usual place waiting to be fed and Mum tried three
> different varieties of canned (not all Whiskas), all of which Molly refused
> to eat. Mum tried her on Whiskas dry and she ate a half bowl yesterday,
> but today she has refused to eat anything, only licking the jelly or gravy
> and not touching any dry food.
>
> She seems to be in good health and acting normally apart from not eating.
> Mum is ringing the vet in the morning for an appointment but I was hoping
> someone might be able to advise what might be going on.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Karen :)

I'll bet a tenner it is bad teeth, excessive plaque and tartar build
up onthe teeth, that's hat it sounds like from fact hat she is licking
the jelly and gravy off the chunks and not touching dry at all,
probably because her teeth and gums are too sore to do anything else.

not a big problem, the vet with just put her out for a bit and clean
the teeth will she is under (not advisable to do when they are
awake!), the only lasting damage will be to your mum's wallet.

report back and let us know what happened

bookie

\kls\
March 3rd 07, 10:28 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 27 Feb, 22:03, "\"kls\"" > wrote:
>> I'm in the UK. Mum's cat Molly has always been picky on what she eats.
>> She
>> is 10 and was a rescue cat at about 18 months after having kittens and
>> then
>> being spayed. She has always been fed on wet Whiskas with Jelly,
>> preferring
>> the beef variety until recently! A few weeks ago, she started turning
>> her
>> nose up at the beef and stalking off. Mum has tried her with all the
>> different wet foods and sometimes she eats them and sometimes not.
>>
>> On Sunday she sat in her usual place waiting to be fed and Mum tried
>> three
>> different varieties of canned (not all Whiskas), all of which Molly
>> refused
>> to eat. Mum tried her on Whiskas dry and she ate a half bowl yesterday,
>> but today she has refused to eat anything, only licking the jelly or
>> gravy
>> and not touching any dry food.
>>
>> She seems to be in good health and acting normally apart from not eating.
>> Mum is ringing the vet in the morning for an appointment but I was hoping
>> someone might be able to advise what might be going on.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Karen :)
>
> I'll bet a tenner it is bad teeth, excessive plaque and tartar build
> up onthe teeth, that's hat it sounds like from fact hat she is licking
> the jelly and gravy off the chunks and not touching dry at all,
> probably because her teeth and gums are too sore to do anything else.
>
> not a big problem, the vet with just put her out for a bit and clean
> the teeth will she is under (not advisable to do when they are
> awake!), the only lasting damage will be to your mum's wallet.
>
> report back and let us know what happened
>
> bookie

Thanks for your help. It is bad teeth. She was given a pain killing
injection and some antibiotics to sprinkle on her food (if she eats it!).
Mum has to book her in next week for dental work once the antibiotics have
kicked in.

Karen :))

bookie
March 3rd 07, 07:23 PM
On 3 Mar, 10:28, "\"kls\"" > wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On 27 Feb, 22:03, "\"kls\"" > wrote:
> >> I'm in the UK. Mum's cat Molly has always been picky on what she eats.
> >> She
> >> is 10 and was a rescue cat at about 18 months after having kittens and
> >> then
> >> being spayed. She has always been fed on wet Whiskas with Jelly,
> >> preferring
> >> the beef variety until recently! A few weeks ago, she started turning
> >> her
> >> nose up at the beef and stalking off. Mum has tried her with all the
> >> different wet foods and sometimes she eats them and sometimes not.
>
> >> On Sunday she sat in her usual place waiting to be fed and Mum tried
> >> three
> >> different varieties of canned (not all Whiskas), all of which Molly
> >> refused
> >> to eat. Mum tried her on Whiskas dry and she ate a half bowl yesterday,
> >> but today she has refused to eat anything, only licking the jelly or
> >> gravy
> >> and not touching any dry food.
>
> >> She seems to be in good health and acting normally apart from not eating.
> >> Mum is ringing the vet in the morning for an appointment but I was hoping
> >> someone might be able to advise what might be going on.
>
> >> Thanks in advance
>
> >> Karen :)
>
> > I'll bet a tenner it is bad teeth, excessive plaque and tartar build
> > up onthe teeth, that's hat it sounds like from fact hat she is licking
> > the jelly and gravy off the chunks and not touching dry at all,
> > probably because her teeth and gums are too sore to do anything else.
>
> > not a big problem, the vet with just put her out for a bit and clean
> > the teeth will she is under (not advisable to do when they are
> > awake!), the only lasting damage will be to your mum's wallet.
>
> > report back and let us know what happened
>
> > bookie
>
> Thanks for your help. It is bad teeth. She was given a pain killing
> injection and some antibiotics to sprinkle on her food (if she eats it!).
> Mum has to book her in next week for dental work once the antibiotics have
> kicked in.
>
> Karen :))- Hide quoted text -

I knew it!!!!! smug little old me!!!

22brix
March 3rd 07, 07:30 PM
> I knew it!!!!! smug little old me!!!

Can we call you Dr. Bookie!

zinzee
March 6th 07, 12:23 AM
On Feb 27, 7:51 pm, "bookie" > wrote:
> On 27 Feb, 22:03, "\"kls\"" > wrote:
>

> > I'm in the UK. Mum's cat Molly has always been picky on what she eats. She
> > is 10 and was a rescue cat at about 18 months after having kittens and then
> > being spayed. She has always been fed on wet Whiskas with Jelly, preferring
> > the beef variety until recently! A few weeks ago, she started turning her
> > nose up at the beef and stalking off. Mum has tried her with all the
> > different wet foods and sometimes she eats them and sometimes not.
>
> > On Sunday she sat in her usual place waiting to be fed and Mum tried three
> > different varieties of canned (not all Whiskas), all of which Molly refused
> > to eat. Mum tried her on Whiskas dry and she ate a half bowl yesterday,
> > but today she has refused to eat anything, only licking the jelly or gravy
> > and not touching any dry food.
>
> > She seems to be in good health and acting normally apart from not eating.
> > Mum is ringing the vet in the morning for an appointment but I was hoping
> > someone might be able to advise what might be going on.
>
> > Thanks in advance
>
> > Karen :)
>
> I'll bet a tenner it is bad teeth, excessive plaque and tartar build
> up onthe teeth, that's hat it sounds like from fact hat she is licking
> the jelly and gravy off the chunks and not touching dry at all,
> probably because her teeth and gums are too sore to do anything else.
>
> not a big problem, the vet with just put her out for a bit and clean
> the teeth will she is under (not advisable to do when they are
> awake!), the only lasting damage will be to your mum's wallet.
>
> report back and let us know what happened
>
> bookie

I've read that cats with HCM shouldn't be put under for any reason,
including teeth cleaning. If a cat is relatively young (1 1/2 in my
case), will brushing their teeth be a preemptive measure to a sedated
teeth cleaning? If so, how often should the brushing be done?

Thanks,
Heather

Lynne
March 6th 07, 12:33 AM
on Tue, 06 Mar 2007 00:23:38 GMT, "zinzee" > wrote:

> I've read that cats with HCM shouldn't be put under for any reason,
> including teeth cleaning. If a cat is relatively young (1 1/2 in my
> case), will brushing their teeth be a preemptive measure to a sedated
> teeth cleaning? If so, how often should the brushing be done?

Discuss this with your vet. If you haven't been brushing your cat's teeth
all along, you could do more harm than good. His or her gums won't be used
to brushing so they might be injured. That will put a cat with heart
disease at great risk of bacterial endocarditis. Your vet may want to put
your cat on prophylactic antibiotics before you begin a home tooth care
regimine.

--
Lynne