PDA

View Full Version : how to kill mice without killing my cats?

kitkat via CatKB.com
February 28th 07, 02:43 PM
Two days ago my fiance and I discovered we have mice when our youngest cat
stewie caught one and batted it around the living room. We hoped it was an
isolated event. yesterday we heard him scurrying in the loft and
subsequently bring downstairs yet another mouse. Thus, the general consensus
is that we have mice living in the house. I'm horrified.

now what do we do? mice breed very quickly and we want this problem taken
care of as soon as possible - but of course we don't want to injure our cats
with traps or poisons.

so what is there to do?

I'd prefer to keep this thread clean of "the morality of killing mice"
question. I am going to get rid of the mice in the most effective way
possible which means erradicating the nest to prevent a new set from moving
in. and sadly that means they are going to die...that said how do I do this
without klling the cats?

22brix
February 28th 07, 03:38 PM
"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Two days ago my fiance and I discovered we have mice when our youngest cat
> stewie caught one and batted it around the living room. We hoped it was
> an
> isolated event. yesterday we heard him scurrying in the loft and
> subsequently bring downstairs yet another mouse. Thus, the general
> consensus
> is that we have mice living in the house. I'm horrified.
>
> now what do we do? mice breed very quickly and we want this problem taken
> care of as soon as possible - but of course we don't want to injure our
> cats
> with traps or poisons.
>
> so what is there to do?
>
> I'd prefer to keep this thread clean of "the morality of killing mice"
> question. I am going to get rid of the mice in the most effective way
> possible which means erradicating the nest to prevent a new set from
> moving
> in. and sadly that means they are going to die...that said how do I do
> this
> without klling the cats?

But Stewie is having so much fun! There are traps that are sticky that trap
the mice but shouldn't hurt your kitties. I don't know what they're called.
I may be dreaming this up but I believe there are also traps that don't hurt
the mice--sort of like a Have-a-Heart trap for mice.

cindys
February 28th 07, 03:48 PM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Two days ago my fiance and I discovered we have mice when our youngest
>> cat
>> stewie caught one and batted it around the living room. We hoped it was
>> an
>> isolated event. yesterday we heard him scurrying in the loft and
>> subsequently bring downstairs yet another mouse. Thus, the general
>> consensus
>> is that we have mice living in the house. I'm horrified.
>>
>> now what do we do? mice breed very quickly and we want this problem
>> taken
>> care of as soon as possible - but of course we don't want to injure our
>> cats
>> with traps or poisons.
>>
>> so what is there to do?
>>
>> I'd prefer to keep this thread clean of "the morality of killing mice"
>> question. I am going to get rid of the mice in the most effective way
>> possible which means erradicating the nest to prevent a new set from
>> moving
>> in. and sadly that means they are going to die...that said how do I do
>> this
>> without klling the cats?
>>
>> --
>>

> But Stewie is having so much fun! There are traps that are sticky that
> trap the mice but shouldn't hurt your kitties. I don't know what they're
> called. I may be dreaming this up but I believe there are also traps that
> don't hurt the mice--sort of like a Have-a-Heart trap for mice.
--------
Yes, there are traps that don't hurt the mice, but I would really put my
money on Stewie to take care of the mouse problem.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Gail
February 28th 07, 04:41 PM
We had mice in our house also. I did not want to kill them and bought this
trap on amazon.com. It includes two traps and it is wonderful!! The mice go
in and cannot get out. I then released them outside. They are well worth the
money. We caught two the first night with peanut butter on bread (inside the
trap) and two the second night.
http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Tin-Cat-Clear-Pack/dp/B000B75ESK/ref=tag_tdp_dp/102-5636826-2938504
Gail

"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Two days ago my fiance and I discovered we have mice when our youngest cat
> stewie caught one and batted it around the living room. We hoped it was
> an
> isolated event. yesterday we heard him scurrying in the loft and
> subsequently bring downstairs yet another mouse. Thus, the general
> consensus
> is that we have mice living in the house. I'm horrified.
>
> now what do we do? mice breed very quickly and we want this problem taken
> care of as soon as possible - but of course we don't want to injure our
> cats
> with traps or poisons.
>
> so what is there to do?
>
> I'd prefer to keep this thread clean of "the morality of killing mice"
> question. I am going to get rid of the mice in the most effective way
> possible which means erradicating the nest to prevent a new set from
> moving
> in. and sadly that means they are going to die...that said how do I do
> this
> without klling the cats?

dgk
February 28th 07, 04:56 PM
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:41:01 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:

>We had mice in our house also. I did not want to kill them and bought this
>trap on amazon.com. It includes two traps and it is wonderful!! The mice go
>in and cannot get out. I then released them outside. They are well worth the
>money. We caught two the first night with peanut butter on bread (inside the
>trap) and two the second night.
>http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Tin-Cat-Clear-Pack/dp/B000B75ESK/ref=tag_tdp_dp/102-5636826-2938504
>Gail

Those are really the best idea since the glue traps are cruel. Poison
isn't exactly a nice way to die either, plus Stewie could eat a dying
mouse and that is to be avoided at all costs.

I've had a mouse or two in my house and the cats are very amused when
that happens. More often are waterbugs, and the boys have a jolly time
with them also. Much better than anything I can buy at the store.

My vegan former co-worker brings in his humane traps whenever we had
mice at work. They work very well. I once borrowed some when I had a
few mice at the house. I trapped two and sent them to college. (I live
right by a college so I brought them into the field on the campus and
left them there. They've likely graduated by now.)

Rene S.
February 28th 07, 05:03 PM
On Feb 28, 9:56 am, dgk > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:41:01 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:
> >We had mice in our house also. I did not want to kill them and bought this
> >trap on amazon.com. It includes two traps and it is wonderful!! The mice go
> >in and cannot get out. I then released them outside. They are well worth the
> >money. We caught two the first night with peanut butter on bread (inside the
> >trap) and two the second night.
> >http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Tin-Cat-Clear-Pack/dp/B000B75ESK/ref=tag...
> >Gail

I have used live traps to catch chipmunks and relocate them. I'd
suggest driving a distance (1-2 miles) and then releasing. You don't
want to catch them, only to have them come right back inside.

kitkat via CatKB.com
February 28th 07, 05:56 PM
as long as the humane traps work I'm all over that-

yes stewie is thrilled - he's an indoor cat and he's been nuts the last few
days -

I wouldn't have minded 1 mouse but when another showed up I started to get
worried.

thanks for the links and I'll look into the humane traps.

and stewie can't be trusted to "take care of the problem" - he doesn't kill
the mice - he just picks them up and sets them down and keeps running around
with them because he's sure it's the greatest toy ever. my other cat shatner
is afraid of the mice which is kind of sad and tragic.

dgk
February 28th 07, 07:09 PM
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:56:42 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>as long as the humane traps work I'm all over that-
>
>yes stewie is thrilled - he's an indoor cat and he's been nuts the last few
>days -
>
>I wouldn't have minded 1 mouse but when another showed up I started to get
>worried.
>
>thanks for the links and I'll look into the humane traps.
>
>and stewie can't be trusted to "take care of the problem" - he doesn't kill
>the mice - he just picks them up and sets them down and keeps running around
>with them because he's sure it's the greatest toy ever. my other cat shatner
>is afraid of the mice which is kind of sad and tragic.

Perhaps, but it makes him a hero to the mice.

jmagerl
February 28th 07, 07:25 PM
these traps are very gentle and I use them around my cat.
http://www.intruderinc.com/mousetrap/mousetrap.html
They can be ordered on line or sold at walgreens. They have a very high
catch rate compared to the traditional spring trap. Peanut butter spread on
the underside of the lid works best. Birdseed lightly sprinked in the trap
also works. Placement is everything when catching a mouse so follow
directions and push it up against a wall. Make sure you find the spot where
they are coming in from otherwise they will reinfest. THe usual entry point
is underneath the door. HAve someone shine a strong light under the door
while you look from the inside. IF you see the light, they can get in

I average 60 catches a year. I sure wish I could find the hole they get in
on. Mr. Bonkers gets about 6.

"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Two days ago my fiance and I discovered we have mice when our youngest cat
> stewie caught one and batted it around the living room. We hoped it was
> an
> isolated event. yesterday we heard him scurrying in the loft and
> subsequently bring downstairs yet another mouse. Thus, the general
> consensus
> is that we have mice living in the house. I'm horrified.
>
> now what do we do? mice breed very quickly and we want this problem taken
> care of as soon as possible - but of course we don't want to injure our
> cats
> with traps or poisons.
>
> so what is there to do?
>
> I'd prefer to keep this thread clean of "the morality of killing mice"
> question. I am going to get rid of the mice in the most effective way
> possible which means erradicating the nest to prevent a new set from
> moving
> in. and sadly that means they are going to die...that said how do I do
> this
> without klling the cats?

Lynne
March 1st 07, 05:59 AM
on Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:43:36 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Two days ago my fiance and I discovered we have mice when our youngest
> cat stewie caught one and batted it around the living room. We hoped
> it was an isolated event. yesterday we heard him scurrying in the
> loft and subsequently bring downstairs yet another mouse. Thus, the
> general consensus is that we have mice living in the house. I'm
> horrified.
>
> now what do we do? mice breed very quickly and we want this problem
> taken care of as soon as possible - but of course we don't want to
> injure our cats with traps or poisons.
>
> so what is there to do?
>
> I'd prefer to keep this thread clean of "the morality of killing mice"
> question. I am going to get rid of the mice in the most effective way
> possible which means erradicating the nest to prevent a new set from
> moving in. and sadly that means they are going to die...that said how
> do I do this without klling the cats?

I don't like to kill living things, but mice living in your home are a
health hazard, so I have no problem with doing what you gotta do. That
said, glue traps are the cruelest of all possible solutions. Please
don't use them. Live trap and release is kind, but if you don't take
them far enough away from your property, they will just come right back.
Some of the fancy new "no touch" traps don't work worth a darn, trust me
on that and save your money

The absolute most reliable method (beyond live traps) are the old
fashioned snap traps, 79 cents a pair is a typical price around here.
Buy a bunch of them. Set them in places where your cat does not have
access, such as inside kitchen cabinets (under the sink and over the
stove are prime entrance points for mice since there are pipes and other
conduits in these locations. The mice slip through the tiny spaces where
the drywall has been cutout). Another place would be an attached garage
if you have one, along the wall attached to the house In each location,
set two traps up against the back wall inside the cabinet right next to
each other (or along the floor next to the wall in your garage), and bait
them with a teeny bit of peanut butter mashed into the small indentation
on the trigger so the mice have to work to get it out. You want the two
traps next to each other because mice are shifty and can work bait from
traps without triggering them (you'd be shocked), so usually the trap
next to the one they are working on gets them.

To keep your cat safe, get some child locks for your cabinets and use
them. If the doors have handles, get the cheap ugly ones that slip
through the handles and clamp down. Lock them TIGHT. There are many
flavors of child locks for cabinets, even those that don't have handles,
so you might have to spend some time installing them, but they are worth
the effort

After you trap a mouse, throw the trap away and replace the pair with new
ones and fresh bait. Lather, rinse, repeat. I have a couple of spots
where I just leave traps out all the time (locked up from the cats).
Unfortunately I think they smell death once you trap a mouse and you have
to pick new locations so they will take the bait.

In my experience, snap traps are a humane way to kill mince, and safer
than poison which is dangerous to your cats (even if they can't get to
it, they could ingest the mouse and therefore also the poison). Poisoned
mice sometimes die inside walls, too, and that's a smell you don't want
to have to deal with.

Clearly I had a mouse problem, and my cats were no help at all. My dog
did kill one, though, and boy was I proud!

--
Lynne

dgk
March 1st 07, 02:33 PM
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:59:36 -0600, Lynne
> wrote:

>on Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:43:36 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>

>each other (or along the floor next to the wall in your garage), and bait
>them with a teeny bit of peanut butter mashed into the small indentation
>on the trigger so the mice have to work to get it out. You want the two

Perhaps you're lucky enough to have access to the salmonella tainted
peanut butter that was recalled the other day. You won't need a trap
then. Hmm. Of course, maybe the mouse won't die and will just get a
bad case of the runs. Nope, better use the humane traps.

James
March 1st 07, 08:59 PM
Relocation is a waste of time. They either become someone else's
problem or else become live food. The only good thing is it make you
feel kinder.

Barry
March 2nd 07, 06:45 AM
On Feb 28, 8:43 am, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'd prefer to keep this thread clean of "the morality of killing mice"

They are pests.. kill-away

best thing to do is NOTHING

let the cats kill them and play with them.

dgk
March 2nd 07, 05:36 PM
On 1 Mar 2007 11:59:00 -0800, "James" > wrote:

>Relocation is a waste of time. They either become someone else's
>problem or else become live food. The only good thing is it make you
>feel kinder.

Then they become live food for something else. So you're asking what
is the point of their life anyway? They live, they eat, they crap,
they die. We do more or less the same but pollute far worse.

What, exactly, is the purpose of your life?

dgk
March 2nd 07, 06:47 PM
On 1 Mar 2007 21:45:44 -0800, "Barry" > wrote:

>On Feb 28, 8:43 am, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'd prefer to keep this thread clean of "the morality of killing mice"
>
>They are pests.. kill-away
>
>best thing to do is NOTHING
>
>let the cats kill them and play with them.

I read through this whole post without remembering that according to
the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, mice are the three-dimentional
representations of pan galactic creatures that run the universe. I'd
be wary about killing them just in case it's true.

22brix
March 2nd 07, 06:52 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On 1 Mar 2007 21:45:44 -0800, "Barry" > wrote:
>
>>On Feb 28, 8:43 am, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd prefer to keep this thread clean of "the morality of killing mice"
>>
>>They are pests.. kill-away
>>
>>best thing to do is NOTHING
>>
>>let the cats kill them and play with them.
>>

> I read through this whole post without remembering that according to
> the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, mice are the three-dimentional
> representations of pan galactic creatures that run the universe. I'd
> be wary about killing them just in case it's true.

OMG I had forgotten--I guess I need to do penance for any mouse mayhem and
murder I may have caused!

Barry
March 2nd 07, 08:41 PM
On Mar 2, 12:47 pm, dgk > wrote:

> I read through this whole post without remembering that according to
> the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, mice are the three-dimentional
> representations of pan galactic creatures that run the universe. I'd
> be wary about killing them just in case it's true.

wuh I hear ya, but... my cats team up on them.

Jupiter ran one out a few months back (from under the sink)...

Bunny just sat there pretending not to be a part of mouse chasing.
Right at the last second, Bunny swiped the zooming mouse... mouse ran
a few more steps then plopped over. Bunny just sat there, she never
moved her ass from the spot. so funny.

I changed Lucy's name to Bunny as she is much sweeter than I
originally thought.

Barry

Lynne
March 3rd 07, 12:05 AM
on Fri, 02 Mar 2007 17:47:46 GMT, dgk > wrote:

> I read through this whole post without remembering that according to
> the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, mice are the three-dimentional
> representations of pan galactic creatures that run the universe. I'd
> be wary about killing them just in case it's true.

Here's how I look at it...

If I end up coming back as a mouse, I hope that I am humanely killed in a
snap trap rather than stuck on a glue trap (or swallowed alive by a
snake!).

--
Lynne

Barry
March 3rd 07, 01:32 AM
On Mar 2, 6:05 pm, Lynne > wrote:

> If I end up coming back as a mouse, I hope that I am humanely killed in a
> snap trap rather than stuck on a glue trap (or swallowed alive by a
> snake!).
>
> --
> Lynne

You don't have to worry Lynne, re-incarnation was invented to give
guilty people a sense of a second chance. It was also invented to
explain strange connections people seem to have with lesser creatures.

cybercat
March 3rd 07, 02:13 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On 1 Mar 2007 21:45:44 -0800, "Barry" > wrote:
>
>>On Feb 28, 8:43 am, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd prefer to keep this thread clean of "the morality of killing mice"
>>
>>They are pests.. kill-away
>>
>>best thing to do is NOTHING
>>
>>let the cats kill them and play with them.
>>

> I read through this whole post without remembering that according to
> the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, mice are the three-dimentional
> representations of pan galactic creatures that run the universe. I'd
> be wary about killing them just in case it's true.

lol!!

Barry
March 3rd 07, 02:38 AM
On Mar 2, 8:13 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> lol!!- Hide quoted text -

fo reel! do they know how funny they sound? Soo funny

March 3rd 07, 08:17 PM
In article >,
says...
> on Fri, 02 Mar 2007 17:47:46 GMT, dgk > wrote:
>
> > I read through this whole post without remembering that according to
> > the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, mice are the three-dimentional
> > representations of pan galactic creatures that run the universe. I'd
> > be wary about killing them just in case it's true.
>
> Here's how I look at it...
>
> If I end up coming back as a mouse, I hope that I am humanely killed in a
> snap trap rather than stuck on a glue trap (or swallowed alive by a
> snake!).

Most definitely would want a snap trap. It's over in a flash. Glue traps
are just nasty. Even though they're mice, I don't want them to suffer.
That's why when Evangeline catches a mouse and is playing with it, into
a special container of water used expressly for the purpose of finishing
off Evangeline's wounded playtoys.

A .45 bullet would just be too messy as well as put holes through
floors, etc.

March 3rd 07, 08:19 PM
In article . com>,
says...
> On Mar 2, 6:05 pm, Lynne > wrote:
>
> > If I end up coming back as a mouse, I hope that I am humanely killed in a
> > snap trap rather than stuck on a glue trap (or swallowed alive by a
> > snake!).
> >
> > --
> > Lynne
>
> You don't have to worry Lynne, re-incarnation was invented to give
> guilty people a sense of a second chance. It was also invented to
> explain strange connections people seem to have with lesser creatures.

Reincarnation does exist, just on a time scale that we can't even begin
to comprehend. Because some day the sun is going to explode and all the
matter that's in the Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars and even the gas giants
is going to get blown out into the galaxy where at some point the more
solid matter will coalesce into a rocky planet that isn't too close, yet
not too far from a G3 type star. And chances are, life will probably
start again. I think recycling is the preferable term to reincarnation.

Lynne
March 3rd 07, 08:44 PM
on Sat, 03 Mar 2007 19:17:39 GMT, T > wrote:

> Most definitely would want a snap trap. It's over in a flash. Glue traps
> are just nasty. Even though they're mice, I don't want them to suffer.
> That's why when Evangeline catches a mouse and is playing with it, into
> a special container of water used expressly for the purpose of finishing
> off Evangeline's wounded playtoys.
>
> A .45 bullet would just be too messy as well as put holes through
> floors, etc.

As harsh as it sounds, it'd be much kinder to bash it's head in than it is
to drown it. Death by drowning is not quick or humane.

--
Lynne

March 4th 07, 02:08 AM
In article >,
says...
> on Sat, 03 Mar 2007 19:17:39 GMT, T > wrote:
>
> > Most definitely would want a snap trap. It's over in a flash. Glue traps
> > are just nasty. Even though they're mice, I don't want them to suffer.
> > That's why when Evangeline catches a mouse and is playing with it, into
> > a special container of water used expressly for the purpose of finishing
> > off Evangeline's wounded playtoys.
> >
> > A .45 bullet would just be too messy as well as put holes through
> > floors, etc.
>
> As harsh as it sounds, it'd be much kinder to bash it's head in than it is
> to drown it. Death by drowning is not quick or humane.

It's reasonably fast and not that messy. Bashing its head in would be
messy.

We used to drown rats all the time when I was a kid.

Lynne
March 4th 07, 02:23 AM
on Sun, 04 Mar 2007 01:08:41 GMT, T > wrote:

> It's reasonably fast and not that messy. Bashing its head in would be
> messy.

It's not fast for the mouse. It's cruel.

> We used to drown rats all the time when I was a kid.

Yeah? Well I used to drive drunk when I was a teenager. I don't do that
anymore.

--
Lynne

Barry
March 4th 07, 07:06 AM
On Mar 3, 2:19 pm, T > wrote:

> Reincarnation does exist, just on a time scale that we can't even begin
> to comprehend. Because some day the sun is going to explode and all the
> matter that's in the Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars and even the gas giants
> is going to get blown out into the galaxy where at some point the more
> solid matter will coalesce into a rocky planet that isn't too close, yet
> not too far from a G3 type star. And chances are, life will probably
> start again. I think recycling is the preferable term to reincarnation.

Please... pass me that doobie